“Very nice hotel, had a great stay! :-)”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

First of all, the hotel is very nice!! Nicely decorated, unique and very groomed grounds. The lobby is very pretty and the gardens too. The staff was awesome!! Virgilio (hello smyrna, GA!!!), Neftali, Cordoba, pao, edwin, Alberto, jose antonio, erick, botones, etc. Great staff! There's another female in the lobby that made us mango martinis in the afternoons; very nice young.lady. most of the staff was nice, courteous and professional. We miss their smiling faces!! If we decide to go back to Cancun it will be to this.hotel again because of.the service. Never once did the staff show anything except professionalism. The food was great, less.the fast food (burgers) but that's not what the point of. Our.trip.was anyways. The breakfast buffet was nice and it has a personalized touch. Lunch and.dinner at bogavante because of the awesome oceanview,.also the great.food, and again,.the service!! The staff here works very hard to make sure.the.guests are happy,; this is evident! The cleaning crew was.also prompt and.did a great job daily. The timeshare salespeople were a different story though!!! Not sure.if they do.anything else except pray on guests?? They just sit there waiting... A bit too aggressive for us but an east fix.with a firm NO. The sol ha people also very nice! Very hospitable staff and we.got a great no stress kind of vibe. The.little gift shop was cute but overpriced and $26 for sunscreen is not funny. The hotel next door has better prices st tge gift shops there fyi. All in all, we would go back in a heartbeat. We had a great time!! :-)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for GR Caribe by Solaris

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My sisters and I did a girls week in Cancun at the GR Caribe by Solaris all inclusive and had an amazing time. The hotel room was nice and very roomy, the food was good, and the pool and beach were outstanding. The thing that set this vacation apart from the others was the amazing staff that works at the GR Caribe. They really made our vacation memorable and fun. Jhonathan was amazing at breakfast and lunch at the Café. Every morning he was in a fun and festive mood and ready to get us started with our mimosas. He made sure our glasses remained full throughout the meal and even helped carry our plates back to our table after we visited the buffet. One day it was raining all morning and afternoon and we just hung out in the café area. Jhohnathan made sure we were always taken care of with something to drink and then helped us setup for lunch. Neftali also helped out for several of our meals and was very attentive and pleasant. We knew we were in good hands with these two. When we moved to the pool area we were handed off to Veronica and Henry. They were just as attentive as Jhonathan and Neftali were during breakfast. Veronica would come over several times with new drinks for us to try and Henry was always checking on us to ensure we were well taken care of. For dinner we really enjoyed Bogavante. The food was amazing and again the staff went out of their way to make our meal memorable. Ishmael and Neftali had great food suggestions as well as made sure our glasses were never empty. After dinner we enjoyed the entertainment that was provided in the lobby which usually included a person playing either the trumpet or saxophone. It made for a relaxing evening and Gabe who worked the lobby bar was another outstanding server and was always ready with a new drink. One night when we sat out in the Zeferino Plaza, Gabe came over and showed us some card tricks. It was very entertaining and made the night really special. A few times we would go over and visit the GR Solaris hotel. We ate at both Marco Polo and Rosmarinus. The food was OK, nothing amazing and the staff wasn’t as personable as the GR Caribe staff.

Thank you again to Jhonathan, Neftali, Veronica, Henry, Ishmael, and Gabe for making our stay so amazing. We can’t wait to come back.

Susan

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandajoseph
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I want to start this review by saying that even though this vacation did not meet my expectations I still enjoyed my time here.

There was a lot of things I did not enjoy about my stay here but first ill start with the positives.

*The concierge service was very friendly and helpful they gave us a tour around the facility as soon as we arrived and made sure our bags got to our room while he was giving us the tour. They answered all our questions and gave us great ideas on how to spend our time there.

*The restaurants on site "Bogavante & Veneto" had a great menu and atmosphere the servers here were really friendly and the alternating menu's gave us something new to try every single day that we where there.

*The Live Entertainment was nice , the shows were a lot of fun to watch.

*The grounds are well mantained they cleaned constantly and they did a good job making sure my room was cleaned every day.

Unfortunately this is where the positives stop

One of the main things I enjoy doing on my vacations is....Drinking!

*The bar was not fully stocked they were missing a lot of liquor and you really don't have any options all generic liquor and only two beers on tap :( . When it comes to this portion I can honestly say that you can tell they cut every corner they could with the bar service nothing was really made fresh everything came from the bar gun. I have also stayed at other resorts where they keep a fully stocked bar in your room this resort offered four 8 ounce bottles of "Sol" Beer.

*The service: I am a Mexican-American and I really felt discriminated against here. I say that not as a whole for the hotel but just a few individuals and situations I had. Here are the bad experiences I had

1) I was at the beach and it was a busy day so there was a lot of other beach goers there .I was sitting in a row of chairs so I was surrounded by others. The man who going around asking everyone if he wanted drinks stopped by me and asked if I wanted anything to drink. I said "Yes" just like everyone else had. I asked him for a Pina Colada. About 15 minutes later he came back with everyones drinks except mine. He apologized and said he would come back with my drink. I waited about another 20 minutes and saw him return back to my section with re-fills for everyone even though they didnt ask for them . I thought that was really nice of him until he told me he forgot my drink again, he apologized and said he would return with my drink. I waited another 20 minutes and he came back to my area empty handed asking if anyone wanted a refill, at that point I asked him where my drink was. He said he had forgotten and he would come right back with it. at that point I had all but given up hope of ever getting anything from this man so I told him I didnt want the drink anymore because I was going to go for a swim in the ocean. He told me not to worry it would be waiting for me when I came back. After about 30 minutes of being in the water I returned to my seat and found a drink waiting for me, except it wasnt the drink I had asked for, He had brought me back a margarita which even then I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought to myself it was honest mistake until I took a sip of it. It was almost undrinkable, it tasted like someone had poured a ton of salt into it. The reason I say this was basically discrimination was because all the other people around me where not Mexican and they got great service.

2) Las Fuentes: What can I say about this place? It was the worst service I experienced in my entire time there. I gave it three chances and every time I left frustrated and dissapointed. I could get over the disappointing food there because I understand just like many buffets everything is mass produced for quantity not quality. But I noticed a few stations set up where they made fresh food. I decided to try it out so I approached the station and asked one of the cooks what she was making she rudely pointed to a pile of food to her right that was already made and said its all over there. I thought " oh ok" maybe she isnt making fresh food . but then I noticed another customer of a different race approach her and she immediately smiled and explained to him what she was making . When this gentleman started to grab one of the items that was already pre made she stopped him and asked for his plate so she could give him fresh food. There was also different situations where we were seated at our table and when we got up for food the hostess gave our table to other customers this happened on two occasions.
I was never offered a drink at this restaurant I always had to get my own drinks and refills. The waiters only cleared dirty plates from my table.

3) I started conversations with other hotel goers on my stay there. Since both GR Caribe and Gr Deluxe are both integrated its easy to go from one hotel to the other, I paid extra to stay at GR Deluxe to have access to their amenities. I felt cheated as I noticed people whom I had spoken with earlier and knew that they were staying on the other side of the hotel f where allowed to eat at the restaurants and drink at the Bar in GR Deluxe.

4)The bed was really hard, I have a back problem so the stiffness helped but my wife hated it.

The main closing statement I'd like to end with is that I felt that because I was a Mexican-American that some of the staff there felt like they did not have to provide adequate service to me. I felt like they had something against me and I don't understand why, I always made sure to tip fairly and I was always treated everyone their with respect. It was really unfortunate to run into some of the situations I did. I really did have fun at this place but there was also many moments of embarrassment and a feeling that I wasn't welcome. I am going to as far as to say that this will be my last trip to Cancun I will be choosing a new vacation destination for my next trip.

7  Thank Cris F
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from GR Caribe, had a 5 day vacation.
It was a great place, I don't understand the bad reviews in regard of food. They have a great variety of food options and places to eat. Off course it all have a little Mexican homemade twist to it.
They even try to have sushi at their buffet restaurant, which it wasn't very good, but hey, lets be a little flexible here.
Drinks all all inclusive, and fast. Top shelf liquor available. Only downside is that their house wine selection isn't great, but other options are available for purchase by the bottle
Staff was great, very polite prompt, always with a smile
They approached us twice with the Timeshare offer, but we told them right away we weren't interested and they never bothered us again, so just let them know you don't have the time or interest and end of story.
The evening shows were kind of bad, but again, we are in Mexico and they did their best to entertain, don't expect a Broadway production...

My one complaint: we arrived at the resort kind of early 11:30am, check in is not until 3:00pm. They held our baggage and let us explore the resort, eat and drink while our room got ready, we were told our room would be 2350, fine....
We waited, around 2pm we asked if the room was ready, since the place looked empty, but were told that it wasn't.
At 3pm I went to the front desk and asked for my room keys. At that time I was told by Joel that my room number had changed, I had requested a king size bed room and it wasn't available, so he was giving me a room with 2 queen size beds.
O wasn't happy with that, specially because I was waiting forever for my room 2350. Then he said that he could upgrade me to a Ocean view room, but again, with 2 queen size beds.
I refused the option and wanted to talk to the hotel manager, because I'd like to know earlier in the day about the issue with the beds and made a decision earlier to go with the queen size beds.
At that moment, Joel typed something in the computer and Voila... Magically my room 2350 was all ready and available. He explained that it was an ocean view room, but that we would not have any extra charge.... So we finally got our keys.
Did not understand why they held us so long at the lobby and why all this "trick" on exchanging rooms....
This was our only complaint.
The resort was not booked at all, there were always chairs available at the pool and beach areas all times of the day.
Would recommend this resort to friends and will for sure stay there again too

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just came back from Cancun after wonderful weekend at GR Caribe. It is really nice facility and as long as you are not looking for a huge resort this is it. Very Nice, Very clean, Friendly and really nicely laid out hotel. IF you need to get wild there is always resort next door that is connected and you will have full access to it.
Restaurants are very nice and food was good. Served in a very unique ways (a la carte restaurants) buffets' are really nice and clean.
Bars are very generous in the drinks that they mix so you have to watch yourself. They have all kind of alcohols available so make sure that you ask for your by name. If you don't see it don't assume that they don't have it.
Now to the "but" part. Upon arrival we found out that our room does not have king size bed. we had to switch rooms next day, no big deal till I've heard other people had to go through this. I guess that is the practice, "book whatever you wish you will get what we have" To move we had to check out of our room before 11am and wait outside till 2 so our new room could be readied. in the process of that our coupons for lobster dinner were misplaced and they would not even try to replace them. I guess it was our fault, just a little surprised that they would not even consider doing anything for us especially that you have to sign for everything extra.

Yes they will hound you down for timeshare presentation. You can simply say no but if you get talked into it you can easily get out of it by asking for the copy of the contract so you can sent it to your lawyer for review. They have refused to do that for other couple that we met. You still get your 160$ hour massage and maybe a cheap trip.

if you go shopping go to the supermarket located behind the flee market by senior frog. you will find a lot of products at very reasonable prices and if you want to try your luck with you negotiating skills at least you will have a good starting point for negotiations.
(expect quoted prices to be at par with Beverley Hills Rodeo drive) tourists are nothing but money bags for locals. At the same time we have never felt unsafe. They will try to get you into their stores, that is how they make money but we were always safe.

Over all it was a good experience and it is highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I have been members of Club Solaris for ten years now and we LOVE their all inclusive hotels. We have stayed at Royal Solaris, GR Solaris, Solaris Los Cabos and recently GR Caribe (May 13-22, 2014). Very clean. Staff is always taking care of the facility. Love the atmosphere at GR Caribe. Very relaxing and their staff was simply excellent. Very helpful, friendly and always with a big smile! Special mention goes to the staff at the pool: Veronica, Henry & Pamela. Great job!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of the beach.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is my third visit to the GR CARIBE by Solaris. The hotel is beautiful, food is delicious and drinks are great. Their customer service is magnificient. Their acess to the Royal Solaris pools and snack bars are great. Their enterteiment at nite is fantastic.

Room Tip: See view rooms are spectaculars
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebeca9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#48 of 176 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#76 of 176 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!