“Great value for money”
Review of ibis Cancun Centro

ibis Cancun Centro
Ranked #88 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 15 May 2013

This is a quite new hotel in Cancun. The price was very low and the hotel was very good value for money. Hotel is close to a shopping mall. Nice hotel staff, celan rooms. I would definitely reccomend this place!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,138)

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I liked the hotel, service, etc. But I was not happy that I had a problem with my stomach and the staff in the hotel could not help me. They could not help to get me a doctor to visit me at the hotel while I was very sick. I had to wait until the next morning to go to a hospital near there.
I'm wondering what could happen if I wouldn't be able to walk the next day.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 9 April 2013

True saying... you get what you pay for. The Ibis Cancun Centro Hotel is very well located for business purposes. A bit hard to find an easy way to reach a public beach in the Hotel Zone. A taxi was pretending to charge me $350.00 (about $30.00 US), even when I was willing just to be taken to a business meeting in that area.
The hotel's bed pillows are terrible. Looks like a big cotton ball, extremely worn out and difficult to lay on it. I had to "steal" an extra one from a maid's cart, because the front desk did not respond when I called after an hour waiting.
The hotel's bath towels are harsh and abrasive. Never deeply cleaned and fluffed. Hurts to dry yourself when you've been on the beach sunbathing and you got a normal sunburn.
The hotel's shower has a soap dispenser instead of a soap container if you like to travel with your own soap and shampoo. Hard to wash it off because of the water hardness.
Good hotel to spend a couple of nights and going only to rest a while and then go to sleep.
Hotel's restaurant is awful, sandwiches and burritos at "tourist prices" and low quality.
Will I ever go back? Yes... it's the best hotel in Downtown Cancun.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the east side have a wonderful far view of the lagoon and the ocean. Great view at nigh...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Low cost, good breakfast and close to the city center. Yes, this things has priority for us. No, this hotel is not close to the main beaches, but is close to the mall and grocery. Yes, this is a low cost hotel, then do not expect prime line services or fabulous room. No, they don't offer touristical packages, but there is a tourism agency in front hotel. Yes, the breakfast was good, but it had a fee. And parking had a fee too. No, the hotel is not crowded and silence was respected.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We stayed there for one night before our flight out. The room was OK and the price was OK too. First room we were given was very smelly and it seemed like a smoker smoked one pack of cigarettes in the room and then left. Also, the room had unwashed made up bed and was not aired or prepared for the next guest.
We came down to the reception and requested a new room, after about 10 minutes we were given a new one which was fine.
Not spectacular, but a typical Ibis - economic and clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I was looking for a budget hotel in order to visit Cancun, but my plan was not to spent time in relaxing spas, mostly to visit the Maya ruins of Chichen Itza and Tulum, and of course enjoy the beach and some snorkelling if possible. After reading several diverse reviews about this hotel I decided to book one single room. And my experiencie was regular but OK.
The hotel is situated on the main avenue (Av. Tulum) in front of a service station (Pemex) and opposite to a shopping mall (Plaza Las Americas).
Rooms are OK, for a solo traveller is fair enough. TV, shower, internet WiFi free (better said included in the room rate), a reasonable comfortable bed. The breakfast (06:30 to 10:30) is under average score, but for the room price is OK. Daily room rate about 800 mexican pesos, if you book online and about 4-5 weeks in advance you can get up to 450 mexican pesos for the room rate. I used this time agoda and got about 700 mexican pesos per day.
In the same building (where the hotel is located) there is a supermarket, not the cheapest under mexican point of view, but for foreigners should be fine. You can get almost all what you want, or what you forgot to bring with you for a reasonable price again! I bought fresh fruits and water daily... even cheaper than buying directly from the hotel (of course!!!).
The service was also diverse, some people were very nice and helpful, the others I don't know if they like to serve their guests or just been there because they have to work. Nevermind, nothing that a smile can't solve... and as usual you have to be patient :-)
I was trying to rent a car. National Rent a Car has a branch office just in front of the hotel entrance (1200 pesos per day for a coupe small size - all cost included). The staff from the hotel told me about a lady who has a desk in the same floor of the hotel lobby (about 600 pesos daily per compact car) but I could'n find her until it was my last day. I think renting a car to explore the surroundings of Cancún (Maya ruins, and magic towns) is a good idea, but at the end I decided to use the bus (private service) and was cheaper and fair good. ADO is the name of the company and has also a branch office beside the National Rent a Car one, all in the same place (building) where the hotel is.
Regarding the cleanliness, well one day was horrible, but the staff solved inmediatly. Is better to take out all the sheets and pillows and throw them to the floor, so the staff will exchange them... I hope so :-)
Well in conclussion, for my purpose it was OK. I would recommend this for a solo traveler or a group of friends who are looking for a budget option. Bear in mind this is a little bit far away from the beach and the nightlife zone (Zona Hotelera), but that were not my main targets this time. If you are planning to come with your family... I would suggest to spend a little bit more and go in front of the beach. At the end is your choice!!
Every place in Cancun can be reach with a taxi and is not so expensive if you compare how much it cost back home ;-)

Room Tip: the rooms with odd numbers and on the higher floors have a nice view of the lake and hotel zone (not...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Willi S
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on February 2012 (I chose April lines below 'cause it was the most suitable choice). However, we knew it was located a little far from the coast and main big malls and entertainment but the price was even less than 50% of the big names located on more privileged areas. As any other Ibis hotel, the quality and cleanness standard is the same, staff is kind, facilities great and wifi works well. It has a mini market just next door which make things much easier. I know net time I fly to Cancún for holidays, I will choose one of the big hotels, just because I don't want to take local transportantion or taxis to go to the beach... I'd rather be laying down without caring much about how to get back to my room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple