“Definitely made the right choice from the dozens of hotels to choose from”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We just arrived in Cancun last night, and I already feel a need to tell you all about how exceptional our first 16 hours at JW Mariott has been. One of my employees told me this was the best place to stay as I scoured the tour books and on line reviews in frustration. I think I'll have to give her a raise when I get back (if i go back!). I wanted turquise water views -- I got incredible turquoise water views!

We were a little worried about staying in the hotel zone because we were afraid it would be like the concrete jungles of Waikiki or Miami Beach. And sure, the sleepy 5-resort area that was Cancun the first time we were here 33 years ago is now a beach lined with hotel after hotel -- but the JW Mariott is so beautiful and the service is so attentive, it really feels like we're in one of those more secluded resorts of Playa del Carmen or Riviera Maya but with many more choices for food and activities and brilliant tourquise waters that can't be matched anywhere in the area. This is a big hotel, but it sure doesn't feel like it. From the resort's contract drivers in the airport shuttle to the bell staff to the front desk, conceirge, restaurant staff -- every single person has been warm, welcoming, kind, friendly and remember our name and preferences even though we've only met them once. We've never really seen that even in small boutique hotels. The JW part of the Marriott brand is obviously doing something special when it comes to customer service training or hiring (or, it seems, both). The lobby is elegant marble grand scale. The grounds have an enormous network of brilliant deep blue serpentine pools and a separate network of wandering fountains and waterfalls that are gorgeous during the day and beautifully illuminated at night. It really feels like a tropical resort and, from what we can see up and down the beach, much more so than most of the other hotels.

We booked a premium ocean view room but were offered the opportunity to upgrade to an oceanfront deluxe suite at a rate that totals considerably less than half of the usual rate for that room. The front desk receptionist was very gracious about letting us see both rooms before we decided. The regular room was very, very nice, with a beautiful on-angle view of the beach and ocean but the ocean front suite was just too tempting to say no -- 1000 square feet, a huge living room and separate bedroom, large screen TV's in each, two bathrooms (one is more of a powder room), a walk-in closet, wet bar, two balconies and simply unbelievable views with the sounds of lapping waves easily heard by crackin gopen one of the sliding glass doors just a bit. There's a big sofa sleeper in the living room, an indoor and outdoor dining table and two quiet and effective air conditioners.

We can see the lagoon to our left, miles of white sandy beaches and water to the side and deep blue open water ocean straight ahead. I'm all about activities but I haven't even been able to leave the room, it's so comfortable.

After dinner, we walked in on one of the housekeeping staff leaving some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room for us (the desk overheard us saying it was our anniversary) and he turned and said -- "Oh, we wanted to surprise you, I'm so sorry" as if the gesture and complimentary goodies were not enough. When I asked the bellman who had helped us to our rooms for directions to a convenience store for some supplies, he quickly volunteered to take me there in the hotel golf cart and wait for me while I shopped, then bring me back. In the morning (at a very reasonable hour), the guest desk called to welcome us and be sure everything was satisfactory. You'd think we're the only people in the hotel.

By the way, Club-91 runs about $100 a day per room when booked on line but sometimes is available for a little less as an upgrade when you check in. They allow only limited numbers of people to get Club 91 access, so it may not be possible to upgrade during the high tourist season (which this is not). But Club 91 is the top floor of the building which has rooms but also a nice club where 5 presentations of food per day are offered (buffet breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, and dessert) and complimentary drinks, including alcoholic beverages. Food and drink everywhere in Cancun is expensive -- we spent about $50 just on a couple of flatbreads and two drinks in the bar last night, so for $100 or sometimes as little as $60 per day for everyone in the room, it turns out Club 91 is a very good deal. We're scuba divers and will be away all day for several days of or trip, but if you are more hotel-centered, Club 91 is a surprisingly good deal, it seems (and especially if you drink alcohol as bar drinks can be as much as $15 each!)

So, more will follow -- but so far, I can't say enough about how happy we are with our choice of the JW Marriott. Some of the books and brochures and online reviews tout the seclusion and restful elegance of hotels and all-inclusives 15-20 miles out the resort area. But, for us, this is the best of both worlds -- right in the hub of activity but on a little oasis of relative seclusion and elegance.

And if you're coming in the next couple of days -- we have a LOT of extra room in our suite!!!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room. If you can afford it or have access to a discounted upgrade to o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank canalcruiser
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa

Reviewed 21 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 10 nights in April 2013.
The rooms are a decent size, but are somewhat worn, as is the bathroom.
There is no wifi access within the room, and only available in the hotel lobby, and quite slow.
The beach looks great, but the water was very rough when we were there. There is a big pool and a jacuzzi which was nice.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, which is unbelievable for a Marriott!!! You are forced to buy your morning coffee at the on site shop, which is expensive!!
The on site restaurants are expensive too.
The property itself is big, and its a quick walk to the main road and the busses are very frequent. The hotel is within a 5 min bus ride to the nearest mall.

As the hotel is on the Hotel strip, it will be a bus ride or a cab ride into the city or to the nearest mall.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adishelly
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Beautiful property, beautiful pool, beautiful lobby, beautiful room. Comfortable bed, clean, classy, incredible view of the ocean. Can't say enough. Will stay again in a heart beat. My only complaint is they seem to be raising their prices. Hope they have more deals in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BlueSky38
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Cancun can sometimes feel a bit worn as if there has been a few too many parties, but if you stay here you will certainly not get that sense. The resort appears new or close to it and is spotless. The lobby bar is snappy with good colors, live music and a couple large TVs. The color scheme is great throughout the hotel and we had a fantastic pool/ocean view suite. They have one of the best gyms I've seen at a hotel and didn't lack for cardio or weight training equipment. Free weights were available as well as machines and I loved the Sirius 80's music they played. I spend one whole morning in the spa also and found it to be very pleasant. I had a nice 80 minute massage and then a steam and dip in the hot tub. It was a weekday so I had the whole place to myself. Finished it all off with a lunch on the beach at their "Beachwalk" restaurant, which was reasonably priced and very good. Of course the resort is right on the water, but that is true for most of the hotels. The water in Cancun is the star of the show. Beautiful coloring, nice waves and warm. This is just a great place to vacation and very convenient to the U.S. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the JW again.

Room Tip: The water and beach are beautiful. If you can afford the premium then I'd request a beachfront...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank HeathCalabasas_CA
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Where to start??? Words probably cannot describe how much we loved staying here!!! After four nights at an all-inclusive resort along the Riviera Maya that fell far short of our expectations and their promises, it was like walking into a Mayan oasis! Our only regret was that we had two nights here :-(
Our room was a Caribbean Suite, and it completely surpassed all expectations! Our view of the resort and the ocean was spectacular! The bathrooms (1 full, 1 half) were spacious and well appointed, the bed and linens were comfortable, and we loved that the room was carpeted and didn't echo every time we spoke. We also had two balconies, which were wonderful at night for watching thunderstorms out over the ocean, an unexpected perk of traveling at the start of storm season.
Upon check-in, our room wasn't yet available, so we did the next best thing: we immediately changed into swimwear, and hit the pool and ocean. The poolside staff was amazing, and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and cocktails we ordered (spring rolls, ceviche, shrimp tacos and top shelf margaritas). One great thing about the JW is that the infinity pool extends farther than most other resort's pools do (that we saw during walks on the beach), so it literally has an unobstructed view of the beach and Caribbean. Additionally, it is very easy to get to the beach, and subsequently back up to your palapa on the pool deck.
We dined at Gustino for dinner on our first night, and the Sedona Grill for lunch the following day. Both restaurants had excellent service, great food and a very relaxed, yet elegant atmosphere. Our selections at Gustino included the Foie Gras, carpaccio, soup of the day, caprese salad, agnolotti and bavette, as well as a complimentary bottle of wine, per our room package. We also enjoyed cocktails with our appetizers. At Sedona Grill, we ordered calamari, empanadas, and shrimp tacos.
The spa.... was pure bliss! We enjoyed morning massages, followed by time in the steam room, sauna and jacuzzis. The spa was beautifully appointed, had fresh water, fruit, and tea, along with great bath amenities and an abundance of fluffy white towels, and I wish we could have spent all day in there!
In general, all the staff throughout the resort were wonderful! They all called us by name, and we felt extremely welcomed and well taken care of during our time here. We did tip for our meals and service, but had all charges billed to our room, so there was only one bill on checkout. We didn't experience any problems with erroneous charges as others had mentioned.
The only bad thing about this stay was that we had to check out and come home after only two nights. It was a wonderful experience to have stayed here, and we eagerly look forward to coming back!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SNT97383
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My lady and I stayed at the JW Marriott Aug 22-27, 5 nights and found JW to be all it was supposed to be (and we didn't do the All Inclusive)...Peaceful and quiet with a touch of class just as we wanted, compared to the other hotels we visited.

First I should declare I'm a gold elite member and have stayed at quite a few Marriotts. That being said...

We checked in under 5 minutes to an Ocean View Room on the 10th floor which was quite big and comfortable and which we enjoyed.

WiFi was free in our room

We found the entire staff of the JW to be quite pleasant and pleasing, going out of their way to make sure everything was pleasing to us...this included our turn down staff.

The decor of the hotel was surprisingly soft which if you're on vacation, you need.

The pools and beach area was wonderful. Plenty of lounge chairs..no flies, no insects.

We didn't do the restaurants, opting instead to eat breakfast and dinner at the Casa Magna next door for a few days, then doing restaurants off the resort.

Sure the prices were high for drinks and dinners, but what do you expect if you stay at a Marriott Hotel overseas...American prices...come on people.

We took the bus which was 80 Pesos all around the island, and it was safe. We also day quite a few day tours to Isla Mujeres and Xcaret.

The only draw back or issue we had was when our toilet backed up, but one call and less than 5 minutes later all was corrected.

I would recommend the JW to anyone heading for a vacation with luxury and piece of mind...at the same time remember to bring your wallet....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Supersand69
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have never had a problem with any of the Marriot family hotels. and Jw Marriot once again show me why is my frist choice when I am looking for accomodations. The front desk help us with any directions we need it, we exchange dollars to Mexican pesos (they had a good exchange rate) so convenience.
Bus transportation is right there out of the door (We didnt see the nesecity of renting a car).
The pool is amazing, and the food and drinks at the grill was really good and not expensive.
We had a great relaxing experience at this hotel. I will chose it again over all those all inclusive, over crowded hotels located in cacun on the same street.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family