“Very Good- See the Pros and Cons”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Indiana
“Very Good- See the Pros and Cons”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Just got back from this hotel....5 nights on Club 91 Level with a friend. I am Marriott Lifetime Platinum.....Easiest is to break it down into Pros and Cons

Pros: Gorgeous Water, Location, Very Nice Beach. Room has spectacular view of Ocean. Club 91 upgrade offered some nice perks (14th floor room, Food and Beverage, Airport Transportation) Housekeeping was efficient and good. Gym is fantastic for a hotel gym. Clean, large and with a good variety of equipment.

Cons: As others have mentioned Front Desk Staff and Frankly Club 91 staff was just "okay". The cons really lie around the fact that it felt like they were "managing" the food too much. Nothing was replenished quickly when gone or empty. Bar was often unstaffed. It felt like they were trying to make sure you didnt eat as much (and we are not "big" eaters). They are the Soup Nazi when it comes to even taking a muffin out the door which is a little absurd in my mind. I have stayed at similar clubs in other parts of the world and never experienced this. (at other JW properties). The club also has NO outdoor space as they have closed in the balconies. Not a fan.Another con would be the uncomfortable loungers on the beach. They need an upgrade for sure. Finally, this is an odd comment, but I (and other guests) were frankly horrified to see the lack of safety for the employees enforced. For example, men on the roof making repairs and on scaffoldings 4 stories high with NO safety harnesses. I know it is not the US, but I was actually sick to my stomach as the workers were working right outside the window of the gym and it was very scary. To me, it does not matter WHAT the Mexican government requires, Marriott should be concerned for the safety of the workers. (And to prevent the trauma of guests who could potentially witness a tragic accident).

All in all, this is my third trip. The beach has been largely restored which was a really plus over my last visit. I would visit again.

Room Tip: The higher the better. All rooms have ocean views. Ask for the Non Hard Rock side as the hotel is...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Ilovelamp27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, UK
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Just the one night at the end of a private tour of Mexico and Central America before flying back to the United Kingdom. Extremely professional and friendly service throughout. Excellent room with ocean view - very large with all mod cons and with good hanging and drawer space. Also a super size modern bathroom with separate tub and shower. Helpful business centre, who although they charge for internet use, allowed me free use to print off my aircraft boarding pass.
Had dinner and breakfast in house at the Sedona Grill. Good attentive service but slightly unnecessary wait at entrance while they check your hotel reservation before allowing you to proceed to a table. Breakfast (buffet) was excellent and the dinner was also very good. Light lunch at the poolside Beach Walk café was very agreeable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AnthonyIG
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed for 7 nights at the JW in Cancun. I had a rewards offer for free breakfast for 2 each morning as well as 25% off all restaurants and bars at the JW and adjoining Marriott Casa Magna. I also had a reservation at the Casa Magna because I wanted to check out both of the hotels before I stayed for 7 nights and being you could cancel your reservation the day of I was able to pick. I was told at the Casa Magna that being the JW was their sister resort, I would be able to use the JW restaurants and pool facilities. Being the Casa Magna had a few extra perks (4th night free and $50 daily credit) I chose to check-in there. We dropped our bags and hit the beach immediately. When we laid down in our chair a server came up to us nicely and told us that we were not allowed to be on the beach at the JW even if we were staying at the Casa Magna. I immediately went in and talked to management and they confirmed this was the case even though I was told differently upon checking in. The JW had a much nicer/larger pool area and that was what we really wanted so I decided to go through the major hassle of checking out of the Casa Magna and checking into the JW and transporting all of our luggage next door.

The rooms at the JW were a little bigger and they were also a little nicer. Check-in was a bit unsatisfying as there was not an elite area to check-in so I had to wait in line behind about 15 other guests. Not a huge deal but it is something you miss when you end up waiting for 15 minutes in line. Upon check-in I asked if there was any way to upgrade to an all-inclusive type package (as the forecast was unfortunately non-stop rain for 5 of the 7 days which came true) and I was told that they did not offer all-inclusive type packages (I found out that this was not true on my second night at dinner when I asked the couple next to us what the gold JW bracelets were? They said that they had an all-inclusive package and I verified when their check came from dinner and it was included!!!). Anyhow, I was given a room and all of my specifics were confirmed (free breakfast and 25% off all food and beverages at both hotels). I quickly headed back out to the beach after the hour set back and ordered a drink. I immediately noticed that my bill did not have the 25% off (which I was told a check-in would be automatic every time I ordered anything). This was a MAJOR pain as it was never correct the WHOLE ENTIRE trip. Every time I ordered (whether at dinner or just getting a drink) I had to send the check back in order to get the 25% discount. It didn't take long as you can imagine to just go ahead and tell them before I got my check that I had the discount. My other major issue was the random over charging! When I received my bill the morning before check out I found over $100 usd in mischarges (two of them were breakfast charges when it was clear I had free breakfast). Luckily I have been through this before so I decided to save all of my receipts. Upon checking out, the person at the desk took care of those charges without any hassle but it still annoyed me that I had to itemize my bill for a week because I was over charged.

Now to the good parts of the stay. Hotel is really nice. Most of the staff was friendly and very helping. Being the majority of the guests are not on an all-inclusive the staff is very attentive as they are looking for a tip, which I have no problem with. The beach was gorgeous. Plenty of chairs if you got out to the beach at a reasonable hour. The beach servers were quick to get you a drink or some food.

The restaurants. We tried Champions at the Casa Magna and it was on par with any other sports bar I frequent. Good amount of TVs, good food and draft beer which is exactly what I am looking for. We also did the Beachwalk for lunch and it was okay. Again, on par for a patio type grill in my opinion. We also tried Mikado at the Casa Magna and this was probably my favorite place that we tried at the Marriott complex. The food was good and our cook did a good job of giving everyone at our table the tradition Hibachi grill experience. The JW lobby lounge was rather dull and did not ever have very many people in there so I didn’t have more a drink there all week. I am not a big fan of having to wait 10 minutes for a drink, but I would rather not be the only one at the bar or in the lounge. The Casa Magna lounge, however, was pretty happening and had a daily happy hour (something that the JW did not offer). The rest of our meals were spent off of the Marriott grounds. If you go here to visit, make sure that you try some other places in the area. I ate at two of the restaurants in short walking distance (can't recall the names right now) one of which was a Spanish restaurant and the other a seafood place and both were very good.

Transportation was one of the nice surprises. You could grab a bus to almost anywhere in Cancun (up the strip to the bar area, in town to the markets, etc) for a little under $1 USD per person. These buses were public but were very clean and very safe and came almost every couple of minutes.

I will definitely be back to Cancun again in the near future, but I may look around at other resorts next time. On top of the overcharging I recently noticed that I didn’t get a single point or night credit added to my account which just adds to the some of the annoyance I experienced here at the JW in Cancun. Hopefully, if you know a few of these things upfront you know what to expect.

10 Thank Joshua N
MarriottCancun, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Front Office Managers at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun resort and the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun resort and the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience you detailed in your comments, the feedback of our guests it’s a valuable tool to improve our service. I regret any misunderstanding about the use of the swimming pools, guests are only allowed to use the pool of the hotel they are staying at. In regards to restaurants, guests are able to use all of them and cross sign charges to their room. About the all-inclusive package at the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, these are only available to convention groups.
Please be sure we have addressed all other concerns in order to improve our service. Thank you once more for helping us in our constant search for excellence.
Connecticut
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here 1/10/14 to 1/16/14. The price we got was pretty good and hard to beat considering it's a nice Marriott. We travel a lot and have stayed in Cancun many times so we have enough to compare to. The hotel and the grounds are nice. The rooms are clean and nice as well. The service was good and the hotel manager, Miguel, made us feel welcomed. The beach and pool are were very nice and there weren't too many children. We found out after a couple days that there is an "adults only" pool area on the other side of the hotel which was great. We slept with the sliders open and falling asleep to the crashing waves is the best. If I had to mention my dislikes, it would be petty things. 1. The food is expensive. $20 for a burger and small portion of fries. A can of soda was close to $5. Breakfast buffet was close to $30/person. A no name linen shirt in the gift shop was over $200! Unreal. The food overall was good. WiFi is extra. I think it was about $10/day but free in the lobby so every evening, everyone was in the lobby lounging around on the phones and laptops. I would stay here again but I will admit, the food in Cancun is getting pricey and the restaurants seem to be disappearing. I think next time, I will seek to do an all inclusive. The best one we've ever tried is Excellence Playa Mujeres. We've done the Rivera Maya one but Playa Mujeres is better.

1 Thank Pauly563
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My husband and I married at an all-inclusive hotel in Cancun but decided to stay at the JW Marriott for a few days after to get away and relax. Relax we did! Overall we enjoyed the resort. Our favorite part was the heated pools! The ocean was too choppy during our stay so that wasn't an option so it was great we could actually use the pools when it was only 75 degrees out.

The rooms, especially the bathrooms, were regal and we felt spoiled. Though it was weird you needed a key in order to open the mini bar! Our view was great, but I didn't love being able to see everyone else on their balcony and talking to the neighboring rooms on theirs. That was weird. Lots of other guests were there for a convention with plenty of activities, but it would have been nice if there was some kind of evening entertainment for everyone else. Being a good 5 miles from the center of the Cancun entertainment area, there really wasn't much to do at night.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I just wan to say that I love the people that work in that hotel
They are friendly starting from wen you enter the hotel to the end of your stay.
Especial thanks to Paulino Najera
He always make us feel at home.
Ps. I travel with my wife and service dog, will be nice to give more access to service animals.

• Stayed December 2013
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very good hotel. Attentive staff. We had reserved a Premiere Ocean view room and paid extra for it. Unfortunately it was facing the small pool and although it did have a side ocean view, the main view was of the roof and air conditioners of the neighboring sister hotel. The hotel was very comfortable and immaculately clean. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the main pool and the ocean, as the other side has a limited ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family