My wife and I spent 8 nights at the JW Marriott in Cancun in February of 2014 and I probably would have given the hotel a top rating except for a couple of flaw that were important to us. Most of the staff at the hotel were very accommodating but the front desk staff could not address some issues that, for an expensive resort, were quite important. To begin, the hotel's computer system was down for the majority of our stay and it was impossible to check our running tab of expenses until the night before we left. Needless to say, when one charges basically everything to the room there is a long list of charges to reconcile to insure that the bill is correct.
The bill wasn't correct when I was finally able to get a printout of our bill the night before our departure. The first two nights of our stay included the buffet breakfast for two and we were charged for those meals on our bill. There was also a charge for a dinner at one of the hotel restaurants that we didn't have. The front desk attendant said he was going to check the charge receipt and when he finally emerged from the backroom he admitted he could not find the charge receipt and gave us a credit for the dinner. All in all I caught approximately $200 of bogus charges that would have been levied against my credit card. We received what I thought was less than a very sincere apology for the mix-up. The front desk staff at this hotel need some customer service training in a major way.
The next big flaw at the hotel was the smoking that went on at the pool. Marriott makes a big deal about being one of the first hotels to ban smoking but little known to us this does not pertain to international hotels. I complained to the front desk about the constant cigarette and even worse cigar smoke at the pool and all I got was shrug of the shoulders. When we returned to the U.S. I called Marriott Customer Care and the snippy woman told me that it was right on the Marriott website that smoking was permitted at the pools at international hotels. She told me to wait on hold and she would find it so I could read it for myself. after about five minutes on hold she came back and admitted she couldn't find the information. So beware, before you book at any Marriott call the property itself and ask about smoking so you won't be disappointed. Marriott needs to rethink its policy before there is a confrontation between guests or before people like me stop booking Marriott rooms. This may seem a minor thing to some people but to people with breathing difficulties it is important. It seems like the people at Marriott would rather cater to the Cuban cigar smoking crowd than those of us "common people".
It's a sham I downgraded this property because most of the employees really seemed to want to please the guests but the experience was ruined by an ill conceived hotel policy to cater to a small minority of people to the detriment of the majority of their customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, an oceanfront haven of unparalleled sophistication, impeccable service and warm Mexican hospitality designed for today’s most discerning travelers. Sumptuous comfort, chic residential styling and glorious waterfront views distinguish every room. Abundant taste marks every dining experience, from casual to elegant, and indulgent charm distinguishes each and every day. Relax on a spectacular beach kissed by the sun and caressed by the sparkling waters of the Caribbean. Stroll through traditional markets ablaze with color or listen to the lullaby of the ocean surf from your private balcony overlooking the sea. With its powdery sand beaches and ancient Mayan mysteries, Cancun will dazzle your senses ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Jw Marriott Cancun Resort
- Cancun Marriott