“Very nice experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Palm Harbor, FL
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I spent a lovely 5 nights at this beautiful resort in January. The service was truly outstanding......the employees at the front desk, the informative young man who brought up our luggage, the people at the consierge desk and the restaurant employees.

Our room on the 8th floor was a decent size, clean, well appointed and nicely decorated with an ample balcony and a direct view of the sea. We were on the side of the resort overlooking the adult pool. However, I was not crazy about the "Y shape" design of the building as we had a wall of balcony rooms directly to our left which felt a bit claustrophobic. On the other side of the hotel overlooking the infinity pool, you may be able to get a more open feeling view, however you face the neighboring Hard Rock Hotel, not the prettiest sight.

The grounds are very nicely maintained. The pools are wonderful, most especially the heated infinity pool with its incredible view. What a wonderful pool!

We had dinner one evening in the Italian restaurant and it was reasonably priced and very good. We also had the breakfast buffet one morning, also very good.

The only aspect of this resort that did not warrant 4 or 5 stars is the "club level". Although at the resort on points (we are Platinum level), we paid extra to be able to partake in the club level which included breakfast, cocktails, appetizers and a light dinner. It just wasn't worth it and we canceled after 2 nights. I think we were spoiled having just stayed at the Marriott's club level in Istanbul - now that was something!

Overall, this is a great resort.......enjoy your stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotravel5563
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear lovetotravel5563:

I´m happy to read that you have an excellent experience in the resort! Thanks very much for noticing the staff, they work really hard each day and appreciate the recognition. The Hotel is in constant renovation to the satisfaction of all our guests, I´m very glad you enjoyed the infinity pool! Also one of my favorites. I really appreciate your feedback regarding club 91, and we will all be delighted to have you back
Sincerely
Manuel Magaña/ Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have frequented many Marriott properties in Canada, the US and Central America. No matter if it were a Courtyard, Marriott Suites I was always impressed with the Professional Standards at all properties. There always appeared to be that standard, a parallel.

My booking at the JW Marriott was last minute. I paid for my accommodations in full prior to departure. I had hoped for a flawless, perfect getaway for I wasn't travelling solo as I usually do, my 33 year old son was accompanying me whom had recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Upon arrival there was not the usual professional check by the Guest Service Attendant in that one normally gets at a Marriott Property. Basically we were given our room access and told that we had a room upgrade and sent on our merry way. No Bell Person to assist us with luggage. After entering room and a quick visual, I knew that it was not an upgrade for it was just an ordinary standard room. Called down to the desk and I was given a description, That it was indeed an upgrade. Too tired to discuss it, we just settled for the room.

My next request was to have the mini bar emptied as I've done in all other Marriott properties. I was told no. I told the front desk that I was in recovery and would like all products removed. They said no and that they would lock it. I told them that I would like to have a place to store cold drinks and water in my room. They did agree to put a fridge in my room however they locked the mini bar and left all the bars nuts and chips out as there were no room in the mini bar. My point I guess is in other Marriott properties an attendant came to the room, emptied contents, it would take all of five minutes and I was a happy camper.

The grounds were indeed very tranquil and manicured. Lots of chairs. Lovely views. Service around the pool area was great.

The only two people that displayed the professional standards in carrying out their duties were Jesus the Room Service Attendant and Martin the Gentleman that cleaned our room on a daily basis.

Our online billing was charged for several meals at the Casa Magna which is another Marriott property next door.
We ordered from room service which delivered to our room in a timely manner but the orders were incorrect.

The Internet was a joke. We had thought that it was included in our package. Apparently not. After several conversations we were told not to worry about it and just pick a package and worry about it when checking out. I would not agree to that. Then we were offered a 20 percent discount. I would not agree to that either. They were working on the Internet our entire stay so at times it was intermittent. We did in the end have the Internet comped.

The concierge service, very unprofessional. All they would do was promote restaurants within the JW Marriott. When we would ask directions to other eateries, you got little or no direction.
I have stayed at 5 Diamond properties and the JW Marriott does not fit the bill. I could not plug in the reading light for the outlet was broken. The sliding glass to the patio was broken. Makeup mirror in bathroom, broken. Rooms certainly need some TLC.

Upon our departure I felt as if I were leaving a Super 8. I paid for our incidentals. We were not asked how our 2 week stay was, how we enjoyed Cancun, have a great flight home or hope to see you again.

Had I not paid for this accommodation up front, I would have booked out after the first day. That was not an option. There are so many beautiful properties along the beachfront.

Was so very disappointed in the so called 5 Diamond JW Marriott

Room Tip: Higher floor has the greater ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MarriottCancun, Director of Rooms Operation at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Mrs. Kenny

I really thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and informing us of areas where we can improve. It is never pleasant to hear negative comments from our guests about our service, as we work very hard to meet the expectations of each and every guest.

The lack of service in the different areas you mentioned, especially in Concierge, Front Desk and Room Service order takers, we are working hard to improve our standards, retraining the staff about the correct procedure so that all of them are able to give a prompt and accurate service to our guests.

I truly understand your feelings and we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

I also want to thank you for your words of commendations about Jesus and Martin. Rest assure that I will share your comments with these two associates and I will invite them to keep up with the good job they are rendering to our guests.

Again, thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa.

Paulino Najera
Director of Rooms Operation
toronto
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location with a wonderful waterfront and pool. They have a separate adult area so you can avoid hearing kids all of the time. The rooms themselves are good but not great. They were last redone in 2006 and could use an update. Not enough not to come here just it needs a refresh.

They could also add some basics like coffee in the lobby for free in the morning. Most first class hotels have moved to this concept and the jw should follow suit. It costs very little and there would be a great amount of guest satisfaction.

Health club is first rate with lots of machines. One of the best

Wifi is spotty in the hotel and could be updated.

Overall. A decent choice but not pure luxury. That said I would come again

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jonToronto
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Jon Toronto :

Thanks a lot for sharing. The location of the resort really allows you acces all areas, we are in the heart of Cancun´s Hotel Zone! and the pools let you admire the stunning turquoise water of the Mexican caribbean sea .

We really appreciate your feedback and recommendations.

Best Regards
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We usually hit Hawaii for this time of year. What a nice surprise Cancun and the JW was! It's away from the "party" resorts, yet somehow next to the new "Hard Rock" resort. Rooms are essentially new, and you can tell the resort has undergone some refurbishment. The staff and service were top notch. As usual, the race for the best beach chairs, exists at this resort, so just rent a cabana...they are a deal at 100USD for the day with fruit and water included!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor in a suite with 1.5 baths...perfect for a small family.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelly D
Dear Kelly D:

Thank so much for giving us the opportunity to host you! I´m glad that we exceeded your expectations, our staff works really hard to create memorable expreciences and they will be thrilled to learn about your comments.

Many Many thanks

Sincerely
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am writing this review while I am staying at the hotel me and my wife booked JW for 10 nights. Pros, the hotel has a great location with a bus stop station just across the street, 10 mins away from the airport and 3 mins from the La isla mall. The pools are great with two jacuzzi pools. The service is awesome. is has a very nice view, and very clean room.
Cons, this place is very quite either day or night. First, during day time no activities are offered no music are played and nothing except the sound of the waves. While, in night the pools area is closed for the gusts and opened for only the privet events.
On the other hand, the next door hotel is the Hard Rock where every night they have a party for their gusts and Oasis Cancun where everyday they have a beach party, activities and great time.
Therefore, I recommend this place for family and elderly while young couples who want to have fun and enjoy their time please avoid it and try another hotel where you can dance and enjoy.

Room Tip: ask for the left side of the hotel where you can have better view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Abdullah S
MarriottCancun, Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest Abdullah S

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor while staying at this Resort. We appreciate your valuable feedback as your comments for location and services as for the nice recommendation for families.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Went there recently. The views are awesome. The water is beautiful to look at, and can be fun to go in, but can also be rough. Don't go in deep. The pool is beautiful, but seating is limited. There are cabanas you can rent, but they are not cheap. Service poolside was great. Consider spending a day at Xplor park. Great fun, but can be physically demanding.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Frequent T
Dear Frequent T:

I agree with you, it is beautiful to look at that turquoise water! Hope you had time to also enjoy our multiple Speciality Restaurants. Thanks for noticing our Beachwalk staff they work really hard and appreciate the recognition. We appreciate your comments and thank your for your preference.

Best Regards
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned home from a much needed mini vacation . This was a fabulous experience , from the rooms , to the staff as well as the beautiful grounds . The staff was very friendly and helpful . The food was yummy . I can't find one thing that I didn't like about our stay. I would highly recommend a stay here to my friends and family .

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Beccalee94
Dear Beccalee94:

Thanks so much for your comments and preference. We are thrilled to hear about your experience. Please come again, we will happy to host you.

Warmest Regards