“Great location, but some suite rooms need maintenance”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Cary, North Carolina
“Great location, but some suite rooms need maintenance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We just got back from staying a week at this hotel, and I must say the location was nice and the hotel itself around the grounds, lobby, pool areas were well maintained and employees always working pick up trash and getting you drinks, the staff was wonderful. The only problems we had was our room, we checked into room 438 (JW Suite) and a suite price to only find that we were above the smoking area and the only view we saw was the top of the Sedona Grill couldn't even see the sun rise each morning, be careful checking into rooms around the 4th floor as your view will only be the roof of the Sedona Grill and nothing else, these rooms will be by the Spa as they put it to sell you the room choice. Also the shower leaked so badly each time we used it that the towels we had went to pick up the water so that someone would not slip and or fall. Also the pull out bed was so bad that my daughter couldn't even sleep the 8 days that we were there, the springs were awful, made a loud squeak noise each time she moved and dented so badly in the middle that there is no way that (2) people could even sleep in this bad, hence we had to order a cot, which cost us another $20 per day!!! Again, nice hotel but overpriced, the food was good the buffet for breakfast at Sedona grill was wonderful and one of the best that I have had but again pricey. When we tried to contact management she and they were no where to be found! Seemed liked we were being avoided after several attempts to reach her by phone and going to the front desk. We did complain to HQ Marriott to get some money back since I was paying for an oceanview room suite and others had a lot better of a view than I had and paid a lot less and didn't even have a suite room. Again, the staff and the tentativeness was well above a lot of hotels, but after a while you are just made to feel like a number as they process guests in and out so quickly and the resort can be and did get crowded at times. We would not go back to this hotel, we are still in negotiation of a refund as we were offered an "upgrade" on our next visit to this hotel, we would not be coming back to this hotel or Cancun again! Nice area but changed since the last time we were there, too commercialized and too many vendors trying to sell you something all of the time. We are staying at another Marriott hotel in April 2015 and I am getting mixed reviews on that hotel also, seems like Marriott is going down hill. We may have to start going back to Hilton again, and the selling of the vacation club has to stop seems like they try to sell that to you at each and every visit. We got harassed with messages of a rep from the Vacation Club that wanted to see us, we were not interested. Still hoping that Marriott will keep my business as an Silver Elite Marriotts member and do the right thing, we will see!

Room Tip: Again upon check in ask for a high floor and nothing on the 4th or lower floors you will have no vie...
2 Thank itruitt
MarriottCancun, Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest Ingrid Truitt,

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor about nice location, services and staff; Regarding your comments for room comfort, I can gladly confirm that we have considered your very value feedback for our improvements as for the Vacation Club personal, You might have the opportunity to see the changes done.

Once again we hope to have the honor of your visit to this Resort.

Miguel Angel Flores C. | Gerente en Turno / Manager On Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Camillus, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I'm a Marriott Elite member who does a good amount of traveling. This property is beautiful. We stayed at this resort last August and cannot wait to go back. The rooms are very nice and clean. The pool and beach area is breathtaking. This staff is very friendly and accommodating! I would highly recommend this property to my friends and family! If you stay at this property you won't be disappointed! It's also situated in the hotel zone. Very safe and easy to get around. There is a bus that runs up and down the hotel zone all day. It's very affordable and so worth it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandy R
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Sandy R:
As you mentioned the location of the hotel really allows you to access all areas of Cancun fast and easy, with a bus stop just a few steps away from main lobby, I´m so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we loved to welcome our Elite Members!! Hope we can host you again in further trips to Cancun.
Warmest Regards
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for (or if you have earned) some pampering, select this hotel. The rooms are large as is the bathroom. Staff, as one would expect at a JW, is the very best. They remember my name even after just one encounter. Yes, the prices are high as it is Cancun and the JW is not a roadside motel. Pampering is not free but it is oh-so nice. Isn't that what it is all about?

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear SamanthasDad:
Thank you for taking the time in share your experience with us, I’m happy to read that you enjoyed staying with us. Thanks again for your warmest comments and I hope we can host you again.
Warmest Regards,
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel was awesome! They have their own transportation service which is great. I used their transportation to and from the airport and on some random excursions. The rooms are nice and clean. I stayed in a premium room on a higher floor and the view was spectacular! The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was really nice and spacious. The minibar was large enough to accommodate some of my own drinks and food that I had brought along. The staff was very welcoming and helpful in all aspects during my stay. The only problem I encountered during my stay, was that the volume on the ipod dock didn't seem to work. When I mentioned it to the front desk, it was immediately replaced. I was really impressed by the service there! The spa was beautiful. A very relaxing experience. The pool area is stunning! It was definitely the best thing in the whole place! They have 3 pools that are all beautiful and well kept. The most popular pool was the infinity pool that overlooks the beach. What a view! I could have stayed at the pool all day! I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Cancun!

1 Thank robin3NewYork
Dear robin3NewYork:
It´s great to know that we exceed your expectations! And that our facilities and service was what you expected and deserve!!! Very nice that you enjoyed your room, and the views from there… awesome don’t you think? I truly believe we own one of the best beaches in Cancun Hotel Zone; thanks so much for noticing our staff, it really makes me proud to answer a lot of trip advisor reviews that mentioned the excellent service of the JW Marriott Cancun Staff. I will be more than happy to host you again in your next trip to Cancun.
Avon, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had an outstanding stay at this hotel Aug12-16. Every hotel staff we came across was courteous, helpful, and friendly. The pool area is beautiful and there is an excellent indoor spa for adults with a very large hot tub. The service we received was the best we have ever experienced. I have a teenage son with a severe peanut allergy and the chef from every single restaurant came to our table to make certain he was safe with his food choices. They were very accommodating in preparing something different for him and were very aware of consequences of food allergies. My son is 19 and this was the best we have ever experienced in terms of his allergies as we have travelled extensively. This hotel in connected to Casa Magna Marriott, which gives you more restaurant options. We ate at all of the restaurants of both hotels and did not have a bad meal. If you are going to Cancun, I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank masspjm
Dear masspjm:
I´m so happy that we exceed your expectations! As you mentioned our staff strive every day to create unique experiences for all off our guests, thanks so much for noticing them I’m sure they will appreciate the recognition. Regarding your son, all off our F&B staff is trained in food allergies and they are aware of consequences , as I mention before our only concern is our guests, I ´m very glad that you visited all of our restaurants and that everything was great!
Thank so much for choosing JW Marriott and it will be a pleasure to host you and your family again.
Best Regards
Clifton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I visited Aug 10-15 to celebrate 18yrs married. I never been to Cancun before. The ride from the airport was only 15 minutes. You have to get Prestige car service. Order your ride the day before you arrive. It's only $16 pp. the cab is like $50 ride.
Arrived at the hotel and rooms were ready at 12pm, so early check in was awesome. The rooms were very clean and the view from the balcony was astounding. Now I must warn you. The beds are so comfortable, you will not want to get out of them. Best rest I had in ages at a hotel. The staff is very friendly and they know the area when it comes to venturing out.
Wifi in the rooms is a bit pricey in my opinion, but the free wifi in lobby and around the pool area is worth using instead of n the room.
If you love the pool there are two of them. One for the family and a adult pool where kids are forbidden. I loved that because it was so peaceful on that side.
The dollar bus runs up and down the strip. There's a lot of restaurants in the area if you don't want to stay on site to eat.
Now I will fill you in on this Club 91. I personally didn't like it. If you are a healthy eater then this may be for you. The selection of food at breakfast time is limited compared to the choices in Sedona Grill. Lunch was even worst for us inClub 91. It was an array of salads, a choice of a sandwich, and a few pastries. For $150 a day I just felt I needed more of a selection. We signed up for a day to test it out. But by lunch time I was asking for a refund. They charged us $50 for breakfast and returned the rest. That was my only negative for me. Before you sign for it ask to see their menu or a walk thru of the location to SEE the food laid out. If you're a big eater this won't work for you. You are not allowed to take any food with you, just soda or water.
I plan on going back to Cancun again and JW will be a place I recommend and will stay at again.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a ocean view. No bad one. It was quiet nights.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marvin S
Dear Marvin S:
Congratulations for your 18th Anniversary! Thanks for letting us be part of this great celebration. Glad to know that this was your first time in Cancun and you Choose JW Marriott Cancun!!! I´m happy to know that you enjoyed staying with us, is nice to see that you have the time to relax at our adult’s pool. Regarding the Club 91 I’m sorry to read that you don’t like it so much but I’m glad that Sedona Grill Buffet was what you expected. It will be a pleasure to host you again in your next trip to Cancun.
Sincerely
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

After spending the first 8 days of a 10 day trip (wife and two kids [ages 5 and 7]) in a couple of different locales in PDC and Puerto Aventuras, a stay at the JW Marriott was exactly what we needed after long flights, argumentative children and not-so-great service.

Unlike other resorts---particularly one--- that we stayed in during this trip, we were welcomed instantly upon arrival. Everyone---from the bell person to the front desk to the pool servers---were congenial, pleasant, engaging and friendly!!!! We absolutely loved the customer service aspect that the Marriott provided.

*The rooms were top notch and provided peace and quiet. The beds and pillows were comfortable. *The pool and beach areas were well maintained and safe. And, beautiful to look at throughout the day. Although others may have mentioned this, I did not experience the beach chair saving rituals on this stay. We easily got a set of 4 chairs each morning. *The pool side food was great albeit on the expensive side. Yet, worth every penny. The burgers were really tasty. Again, the service was excellent. They actually engaged in nice, friendly conversation with our children. *The location of our room was right next to the second set of elevators closest to the pool and beach area. Regardless of floor, you may want to request for a room with low digits to take advantage of this. *One of the best gift shops in recent memory. Not only to they sell souvenirs (obviously), but they sell great made to order snacks and sandwiches, paninis and dessert items.

If I had one gripe, it was the check in time. They seem stead fast on checking you in at 4:00 pm on the dot. We arrived via taxi from the Puerto Aventuras area at 2:00 pm. By this time in the day, I was tired and cranky and just wanted to get into a room. After signing up for the rewards card and check-in process, I was informed that the room wouldn't be ready for 2 hours. Really?
So, we hangout at the pool for approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. I make my way back to the front desk and they tell me to come back in 15 minutes. Pretty frustrating. This being said, everything else the Marriott had to offer made up for this one annoyance.

Overall, just a wonderful stay. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a five star experience.

Room Tip: If you want to get to the pool and beach quickly, request a room with low end numbers (ex- 1001,1102...
3 Thank rjlovestotravel
Dear rjlovestotravel:
It is nice to read that you and your family enjoyed staying at JW Marriott Cancun, and that our service and facilities were what you expected and deserve. Thanks so much for noticing our staff, they work really hard each day and try to create unique experiences to all of our guests, I´m sure they will appreciate this recognition. As you mentioned we have a Gift Shop at the hotel that opens from 6 am to 10 pm every day and let me tell you something, right there you will fine the best chocolate chip cookies… they are my guilty pleasure! Regarding the check in process I really appreciate your feedback and I will personally work with front desk team to found a way to improve this process. Hope we can welcome you again.
Best Regards,