“A beautiful upscale beachside hotel with views to die for”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My wife and I just returned from 6 nights from November 3-9 at the J.W. Marriott. The hotel is very nice and very upscale. It is located in the hotel zone in a region that is not as crowded as are the hotels closer to downtown. The beach and water was postively spectacular with water an aqua blue color that we have heard about but never seen before.

The hotel service is second to none, we could not have been more pleased with the hotel staff at the J.W. Marriott, whether it was advising us on restaurants, making us dinner reservations or upkeep of our guest room, it was all perfect.

We had a standard ocean view guest room and it was great. In fact, it appears that all fo the rooms are large with a loveseat and all have great views of the aqua blue Carribean waters with balconies.

We ate lunch almost every day at the Beachwalk restaurant and every meal was excellent. The housekeeping staff were tireless in their efforts to keep the room nice and one night when they discovered we were celebrating an anniversary and when we returned, they had decorated our room with rose petals in the shape of a heart and made towel animals as decoration.

I would highly recommend the J.W. Marriott if you are looking for an adult oriented upscale beach hotel with a hotel staff who from one end to the other are the best in Cancun and will leave you with the hotel experience you want to have.

Travel for Fun 76

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelforfun76
Write a ReviewReviews (4,621)

Reviewed 10 November 2010

This is a magnificent hotel. I have stayed all through the Caribbean and this is definitely one of the nicest. My wife and I stayed for 6 days and were in dire need of some R&R. That is exactly what this hotel provided. For some background, the JW Marriott is considered one of the top 3 hotels in Cancun (along with the Ritz-Carlton and the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach). I have not stayed at the other two, but honestly there is no need to.

I will go through the pros and cons of the JW. Believe me, there were far more pros, but I have to be honest as well. Even the choosiest of travelers will not be disappointed with this hotel. This review is quite long but will give you all of the info you need.

A quick note before I begin: If you are looking for a party hotel with a big single scene, look elsewhere. If you are looking for bars open late and tequlia shots as you walk through the door, look elsewhere. If you want loud music at the pool, dance contests, wet t-shirt contests, etc, look elsewhere. The JW is not the place for that. This is what the JW almost flawlessly offers:

Pros (lots of 'em):
1) Location - in the perfect part of the Cancun "strip". It is close enough to everything you would need/want outside the resort (if you even need to leave) but far away from the loud/noisy section near many of the clubs. You know you are in for something good as soon as you pull in the driveway.
2) Grounds/pools - breathtaking! Some of the nicest I have seen. The pools/beach/outdoor area is fantastic. It is meticulously groomed and spotless with attention to detail. Just the right number of palm trees, walkways, and bridges over parts of the pool. There are plenty of chairs and palapas with tables. There was no need to wake up at 6am and run down to get towels on chairs by the pool. Beach and pool chairs were comfy and relatively new. Towels were large and soft. There was plenty of opportunity for sun or shade. There is an amazing infinity pool and shallow pools (2-3 inches deep) to lay in as well. You can rent floats, etc.
3) Rooms - spacious, modern, neat, and clean. Bed was very comfortable. We got a "premier" room, #723. The balcony faced the pools and ocean. High enough to not hear much below. Smallish but nice balcony. Bathrooms had marble floors, granite countertops, nice soft towels, multiple amenities, etc. Flat screen TV with plenty of channels in English. WiFi in all areas of hotel. A/C worked great. Every room in the hotel faces the ocean, either directly or at a 45 degree angle. Perfect ocean views either way.
4) Food - restaurants on site were very good. I am a foodie so I can be overcritical. Gustino is Italian food and was surprisingly good. I don't usually think about going to Mexico for Italian food but I was pleasantly surprised. Breakfast buffet (get it included with your room price...well worth it) was great. Multiple options, omelet chef, etc. and enough that I wasn't tired of it by the end of my stay. La Capilla (at connected next door Marriott CasaMagna) has nice steak, especially the flank steak. Their Argentinian salad bar was quite good. Mikado is decent hibachi. Champions is a pretty good sports bar for Mexico! I would also recommend going off the resort for some traditional food (in town center or at more casual restaurants on the "strip") Food at the poolside restaurant was quite good. Get the ceviche and the flank steak sandwich. Prices were surprisingly reasonable, for drinks too.
5) Beach - beautiful turquoise water. Nice cool breeze. What Cancun is famous for. Sand doesn't get hot! Plenty of palapas and chairs. Drinks/food brought right to you. Stays shallow pretty far out. Nice and quiet.
6) They have an "adult side". This is a big plus for the JW...adult side is on other side of hotel from main pools. Separate pool, no noise. They have a swim up bar, but it wasn't open because occupancy at the hotel was down the week I was there.
7) Concierge/front desk people were friendly and incredibly helpful. Everyone speaks English and are at your beck and call 24/7.
8) Spa - we didn't do any massages this time, but the surroundings are beautiful. The spa lover would be in heaven. They have everything you could want for reasonable prices as compared to a nice spa in the US. There are indoor pools, large indoor hot tub, large gym with plenty of machines, tennis courts, and many little perks that separate this place from the rest.
9) Lobby - beautiful. You know as soon as you walk in that a lot of time and effort was put into this hotel to make it a great experience for all.
10) Perhaps most importantly, it was quiet, classy, and friendly. Everyone says hello, whether another guest or hotel staff.
11) The JW is kid friendly but not kid-centered or kid-focused. We came without our son (was with grandparents). If we brought him he would have had a blast. There certainly were children there but I think the hotel is mainly geared for adults.

Cons (barely can call them cons):
1) The hotel is rather tall and is positioned such that in the winter months the main pools lose the sun behind the building around 3pm. The "adult" side keeps the sun all afternoon long. Move over there if you aren't there already.
2) I think it was becuase of low occupancy, but the service at the pool/beach seemed a bit slow. Perhaps they were downstaffed becuase the hotel wasn't full You would never know from their demeanor/attitude though. They were friendly and always smiling. However, remember you are in Mexico and not in the US. They have their own sense of time. More importantly, you are on vacation...! I considered giving the overall service rating above a "4" and not a "5", but then realized that all other aspects of service at this resort were spectacular and it deserved a "5".
3) There is quite a steep drop off from the beach to the ocean. Certainly not a big deal.

I have absolutely no reservations about recommending this hotel to anyone. It has all of the aspects of a high class resort. We plan to come back every chance we get.

Check it out. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LubDub52
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This was our 8th trip to Cancun in 15 years. Last year we had our 3rd stay at the Ritz Carlton but decided to try the J.W. Marriott after reading good reviews and touring the facility. In the end, we were pretty thoroughly disappointed.

The gym is great - best equipped of any hotel I've ever stayed in. But somehow the service seems clumsy. Now I know what "obtrusive" service looks like. Except for at the pool where it's tough to get waited on.

Our breakfast in the Sedona Grill was included - thank goodness because I would have been very crabby to pay 300 pesos for what was offered. We had dinner there three of five nights also (it was the only restaurant open on the property, presumably because we were there in the lowest of low season). While I loathe the decor of the room and was not too fond of the "now we're sycophantic, now we're gone" service, the non-breakfast food quality was exceptionally good.

Overall I fear we've burned out on Cancun. The beach is the most wonderful in the Caribbean but at this point it's no longer worth slogging through the Blackpool-like setting. Each time we leave the hotel we find ourselves rushing to get back into isolation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidLloyd
Reviewed 2 October 2010

This was our second stay at JW Marriott Cancun. Still lovely. The pool area is heavenly. Club 91 staff (Rosario, Leslie, German, etc.) made our stay so easy. Two things I would change: I love beach/ocean time. I found the beach in front of the JW to be dirty: strewn not only with lots of brown seaweed, but also actual trash. There's no reason the beach staff couldn't pick up the plastic bottles, etc. on their property. Second thing: the hotel in the evening is very, very, quiet. In the past there had been a good female singer in their lobby lounge. However, this was her week off and they didn't find a sub. Made things a little too quiet. Other than these two things, it was a lovely, restful stay.

1  Thank lisacmaryland
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Spent 5 days at the JW for some much need R&R. The place was fantastic! The staff is very attentive and acoomodating. The standard room was roomy with a lovely large bathroom that had plenty of counter space. The hotel has a fabulous workout area that was included in our stay.The breakfast buffet at the in house restaurant had everything you could imagine. Try to get a deal that includes breakfast as it can be quite pricey if it is not included. The hotel was very quiet, almost empty when we were there. If you are looking for a Mexican themed hotel with parties and noise this would not be the place to go. We very much enjoyed our time at the JW just sitting in the ifinity pool and pooside. Waiters come around quite often and are quick with beverages that they will gladly serve to you in the pool. Really nice restaurant to sit down and have lunch at in your beach clothes. Fabulous lunch choices that were very tasty. Look forward to our next trip to Cancun now that we have found the JW.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Well in all fairness to this property there is probably nothing I could add that had not been previously expressed. My wife and I stayed here after a business trip I had in Playa del Carmen. It is a perfect getaway for those wanting a complete top notch resort. I think a couple of things I would stress about the JW Marriott. First is the staff. Everyone from the front gate attendant, Franco, a true ambassador with a great sense of humor for Marriott….to Keynor at the front door, a great help with transport and other suggestions,…to Magdalina, our evening turn down girl who always had a smile…to Carol Lopez, who assisted us prior to our arrival should be given a pat on the back. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Second, cleanliness. Everything at this property is clean and fresh. As a matter of fact the entire hotel district is about the cleanest vacation destination we have ever been to. The pools are sparkling and well maintained. While we chose to dine outside of the hotel it has a number of places in the hotel that have been well described in previous reviews. The coffee shop in the lobby is also a good and tasty place for that morning cup and croissant at a reasonable price. So…all in all…a wonderful relaxing stay without one glitch. Thanks to all.

Reviewed 22 September 2010

Once more, Marriott simply delights and surprises us with the combination of breath-taking sights, splendid amenities, incredible pool, and a staff that goes above and beyond to make you feel like you're royalty. And believe me, they definitely suceed! We're going to Miami and Orlando next week and we already made our reservations for the Marriotts there! We just can't wait to another fulfilling, relaxing, satisfying experience with Marriott :)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple