Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I recently went this Marriott resort in Cancun in December. I was impressed with their phenomenal service and their professionalism. I highly recommend this resort over any other.

Service 5/5
There is no question about their service, they were great.

Food 4/5
We found ourselves eating at everyone one of their restaurants and I was not that impressed. The breakfast was the same almost everyday. I wish they would change it daily, but I realize they have a lot of guests. I enjoyed their pool side tacos, they were authentic mexican food.

Room 5/5
It was a great clean room and we loved my ocean side view.

Family Friendly 5/5
It is a great place for the family. We all deeply enjoyed the resort and the available activities.

Overall 4/5
It was a little expensive to stay here and the food was not that great, but everything else about this resort makes it a 4 star experience.

Room Tip: Get an ocean side room, it is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,096)

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Enjoyed time at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort. The hotel is very large and lacks a personal touch. Beach is very clean and has good seating.

Across the road are a couple of less expensive restaurants - worth checking out.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank mattnaylor
Reviewed 25 May 2012

This resort hotel was perfect for me and my husband ! (They also have several programs for kids advertised) As soon as our car arrived the bellhops greeted us and carried in our luggage. Check in was very easy, though we went before the busy season so the hotel was practically empty. The staff members work hard to make your stay as pleasant and relaxed as possible, and spend a lot of time keeping the hotel and the grounds clean. The breakfast was spectacular, but be sure to get it included in your room package because on it’s on it is $25 per person. The steak house was closed while we were there, so we choose to go to Mikado. It was very delicious! We also enjoyed drinks at the bar one night, which were good but a bit expensive. The beach was beautiful but the surf was a bit rough while we were there. Also there was a lot of seaweed strewn about. The pool was plenty big as well as the hot tub, if the ocean is not for you. All of the staff members we encountered spoke English plainly, as did most of the people in the city shops. This hotel is on the southern end of the ‘strip’ so there were not as many things immediately outside, however there was a McDonalds directly across the street, as well as a gas station and convenience store. We went to the Italian place on the lagoon and had a wonderful meal right before sunset. If you go in the evening you will likely see large crocodiles, as the staff feeds them. Overall the quality of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff were exceptional!

1  Thank Jose R
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I have traveled to Cancun many times but never stayed at this property. On first blush, their All Inclusive program sounded good - until we got there. First day, we had to argue with the bartender about which drinks were allowed (even though it was printed in the brochure!). Second day, we were told at breakfast that their main restaurant would be closed for the balance of our trip which was 6 more nights. Unfortunately, that left us only with a Japanese and Thai Restaurant and a Sports Bar for our dinners. Really, how much tempura can a person eat?? They finally agreed to let us have one dinner at their sister JW Marriott, but then added it to our bill at check-out. We had to argue for over an hour to get our bill corrected. Did I mention they also charged us the wrong rate for an upgrade to a suite??? Beware, not all Marriotts are the same.

5  Thank Worldtraveler0951
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

We appreciate your comments which definitely will help us to improve. We are sorry you experienced these problems with your package. We have shared your review with the involved areas and be sure it will be taken in consideration.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Stayed here with my 2 other friends, for 5 nights We are in our early 20's. I really like the pool and swim up bar. Wasn't crowded.
Pros:
Lovely room had 2 double beds with a garden view. Garden view is nice as you can still see the ocean and I saw a lovely wedding.
Very clean rooms
Turndown service
Champions bar and grill
Pools and beach
Bar service excellent
Check in is quick
Bus stop right outside resort

Cons
Expensive drinks and food
Didn't see anyone my age group
Mostly families
Far from nightlife and shopping have to take the bus

Didn't try the breakfast as I woke up late every morning
This is a good family resort as I met the girl who runs the kids club she was very nice and i saw her running the activities with the kids.

I would recommend going all inclusive in this resort as it can get pricey. But the champions bar and grill is affordable and very tasty. Have the buffalo wings
However there is a McDonald right opposite
in my opinion it's much better than the jw next door
Next time I will probably stay at an all inclusive place.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The Marriott CasaMagna Cancun was disappointing to say the least. As frequent travelers we have stayed at a variety of Marriott and Starwood properties and this one was one of the least impressive. The decor is dated, and in need of a remodel...BADLY! The hotel rooms feature wonderful ocean views but sliders with no screens mean no ability to fall asleep with the sound of the waves. The lobby while clean, reminds one of a once opulent castle that is now a shell of it's former self. Dark, with heavy wood furniture and an over abundance of carved wood and metal artwork left us feeling hemmed in and pondering if the designer was battling undiagnosed depression. Dreary!

Chaises on the beach are lined up in a utilitarian fashion like a child's toy soldiers makes the beach feel crowded and unappealing. Coupled with no drink service beyond the pool area made for less than a perfect setting.

On a positive note, the hotel has many dining venues and is located across the street from fast food and a 24 hour convenience store ( if either of these is your thing). The fitness center is amply supplied with weights, machines and cardio equipment with audio and video integrated. Additionally they have complimentary headphones for those traveling without there own.

The hotel seems to be a weekend destination for Mexican nationals so expect lots of a families, children and all their accompanying gear if traveling during that period,

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view!
3  Thank chictraavel
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I planned a 10-day trip to the Maya Riviera for myself and my boyfriend for my 40th birthday in December. Neither of us was interested in staying in Cancun, but after planning our stays in Playa del Carmen & Tulum - and seeing how expensive places like Mayakoba were - I decided we'd spend the last two days here and use them to take day trips to Chichen Itza and Isla Mujeres. I got an excellent rate on an ocean-view room via one of those budget websites. I wanted to be on a really good part of the beach, but stay away from the college party crowd, even if it wasn't necessarily that time of year.

I wasn't expecting a Marriott to be this upscale; it was really lovely! Our room was spacious and seemed updated, the bed was extremely comfy, we had a balcony with chairs, and the bathroom seemed like a dream (especially after a week of salt water showers). I love the open-air design of the hotel, and our room was actually nice and quiet. There's a gorgeous stretch of beach in front, and we enjoyed the hot tub at night. We also found all of the employees friendly and accommodating.

That said, I had read rave reviews of the Thai restaurant in the hotel, and it was AWFUL.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple