“Nice relaxing vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
pa
“Nice relaxing vacation”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just returned from a 5 day stay and from start to end it was a very relaxing trip.
Check in: Isreal at the front desk was kind and professional and found us an upgraded room with wonderful view!
Room: as a Marriott member having stayed mostly at Marriott properties this resort is dated...the curtains, the furniture and decor is dated, having said that I would stay here again because the view, the staff and the area is relaxed. Shout out to our housekeeper Maria Reyes (sp?) she was a delight and did a great job cleaning our room right at the moment we left for our daily activities.
Another person who is a true asset to this hotel is bell man Leo (Leonardo)-- he was awesome; greeting us daily with huge smiles and always engaging us in conversation---honestly even if I didn't stay at this resort on our next cancun trip I will still come to say hello to Leo---Marriott you have a winner in him.
Other staff: we were very impressed with the staff and their prompt, courteous and professional manner--- nothing negative to say except at check out the women was not out going--ignoring me when I said there was a charge for the mini bar that we did not use...oh well...
Dining/Food: all meals and drinks at the hotel were very nice, average, but La Capilla was excellent!! Champions was a frequent visit since we had 2 college and 1 NFL to watch while there. We ate next door at the JW one lunch and had a terrific meal and beach front view.
Facilities: As was said this is a big grand hotel with a huge lobby and surroundings---but it is showing its age and needs an "up date" for a Marriott standard. The gym is average and really needs updating and enlarged.

Conclusion: seeing that we were only here to relax and chill this visit and the staff did not dissapoint and we would return if the price was good. We usually stay at the JW right next door but chose the Casa Magna this visit since price was a bit better....We never ventured off property except to get a few odds and ends at the mini mart across the street.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kalamataPa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Hebrew first
Coral Gables, FL
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is very pretty but it is far from town. The restaurants were kind of disappointing, we were looking for a "mexican" cuisine but did not find one, the choices were Argentinian steak house, a Japanese and a "Champions" . JW Marriott had a Tex-Mex restaurant. The pool area was comfortable and the beach was fun to walk. During our stay the waves were intense. Overall the service was good, always with a smile. We would probably consider another hotel for the next time.

2 Thank LilianaEmilio
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Pretty good hotel, but I'm not that picky either. Lobby is huge and fancy, I felt welcome. Staff was ok and rooms were clean. The bathroom (more specifically the bath tub) had some miscolouring, but that was it. I would certainly recommend this to others. I know this hotel is said to be pricey, however we got a good deal. So, book it when there is a deal! :)

2 Thank Josephine M
Brasileia, AC
Reviewed 18 November 2013

When traveling I always feel as if there are so many different ways to enjoy a trip. Rustic and drenched in local culture is wonderful and rewarding. But, sometimes is sure feels good to spoil yourself with the over-the-top accommodations just like the kind provided at the Marriott Casa Magna in Cancun.

From the architecture, to the friendly and professional staff, to the fabulous pool, phenomenal beach, and relaxing rooms, this hotel does it all right!

I love this place and have been many, many times and I have never grown tired of my trips here. If you're looking to absorb Mexican culture you will not find it at this hotel (I'm not sure you'll find it at any location in Cancun). However, if you are looking to pamper yourself and simply relax, then you will be happy here.

As Marriott hotels go, this is one of they're nicer hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank S G
Camp Springs, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Good points

Staff was extremely attentive and considerate. Everyone from concierge and bellhops such as Hugo to the attendants on the beach like Victorian were exceptional. I was never in need of anything. If I could pick up the staff and place them in an updated hotel, it would be the perfect union.

Food was a little pricey, but delicious. I ate at the Thai restaurant, Champions (sports bar) and restaurant by the beach, not a bad meal anywhere. Everything was fresh and flavorful. If you get the breakfast buffet included, it is definitely a delight.

Great location. Not too close to the club area, but convenient to 24/7 bus line on the island. Everywhere is 9.25 pesos (<$1) away.

Bad points

I felt I was placed in an inferior room because I booked through Travelocity. BTW - I found it odd that the receptionist reminded me of this fact at check-in. I knew at point I was not going to get a great or even good room. I stayed in room 3073. There wasn't any garden view. All I saw was the huge satellite dishes on top of the sports bar and the lagoon - no beach view. The room smelled terrible like a wet rug & mildew. I would have complained & changed rooms, but I gathered from the check in that booking through a third party is not held in high regard & I probably would not get a room change. Also, it really didn't matter switching to a room with an ocean view, if the material condition of the room and hotel was tired. So I stayed put.

CasaMagna is a classic case of perfectly aligned photos to intrigue the unsuspecting online. I echo the reviews of earlier guests. The hotel is dark, dated and deprived of an atmosphere. The fusion of the Marriott standard and this edifice don't work well together. If I wanted a Mexican themed hotel, I would have stayed at one. I wanted a classic clean experience usually provided by Marriott. The lobby was dark to me. It was not welcoming and didn't feel relaxing after my 8-hour journey to Cancun. The texture white walls in the room and the weird-colored marble tile are just ugly and drab. The lack of music anywhere makes the hotel feel like a giant tomb. Oh yeah, they have a band that plays every evening around 8/7 until 10. This is not good for anyone who
- staying in the front of the hotel right above the lobby and
-has been on an excursion all day is trying to nap prior to dinner.

CasaMagna has seen one too many spring breaks and/or hurricanes. It is a representation of a bygone era and should be demolished. However, by all means keep the staff they are great!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront view, if you like the hotel
2 Thank Terrance C
Hemet, California, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I Planned my wedding at the Casa Magna on 11.7.13, and all of my dreams came true!! Staff was very helpful and present to help at all times, location was excellent! Bravo Casa Magna!!
Our Ceremony took place in the Gazebo, and had a ballroom reception, Serving staff was prompt and professional, dinner was delicious 4 courses and wedding cake was a dream come true! we stayed for 7 Nights our room was very comfortable and received a free upgrade to the casa magna suite, complete with two big screen TVs, extra large balcony and a very comfortable room.

Room Tip: Resort View is just as beautiful as Ocean View
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I am a life platinum M. Rewards memver (no I am not better than anyone else, I just spend half my life on the road) per the official Marriott Platinum program, we get automatic upgrades at all properties that I've ever stayed at (even outside US); at other properties if they don't have a concierges lounge, they will usually comp. a Platinum a breakfast or something. They would not upgrade the room (ok no big deal) but then they gave me the WORST possible room location I think the entire property had to offer...the 'ocean view' I paid for was at most about a 20-degree sliver I could just barely see hanging over the balcony. When I asked for a better room, I was given an abrupt no-go; but then offered and extra $$ per night if I wanted a 'paid' upgrade. Most of the rest of the resort was nice and service was OK, but it would have been nice if they would give the Platinum guests at least a 'descent' room in the same booking class in the event that upgraded rooms are not avail. (which clearly they where...for a cost).

Room Tip: If you are a M.Rewards Platinum, don't expect any special service, upgrades nor any of the other...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BienVago
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We are sorry that your stay at our property was not up to you expectations. We offer all the Elite Members’ Benefits as stated in the Marriott Rewards Benefits List; we are aware though, that some of the Platinum members’ benefits do not apply at resorts. However, we are always looking into new ways to enhance our repeat guests’ experience. We appreciate your comments and rest assure that they have been taken in consideration.