“Unsatisfied. Platinum Premier member.”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed with my family this past week at the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun. I'm very disappointed with a lot of things that were below my level of expectation, being a Platinum Premier Member.
1- requested a mini fridge to put left over food and drinks - they said no
2- was expecting an upgrade to a suite, since I have two kids and they were not flexible (the hotel was not full.
3- requested to move the dates of the 2 included breakfasts to accommodate our travel schedule, they said no.
4- Found out they charged us more than double for a "shared" shuttle transportation from airport to hotel, for $60 for the 4 of us. Today, when we left, I paid only $30 for a private car, much more comfortable.
5- I sent these complaints above on the 4th day of my stay via email, and received a reply from Marriott Customer service (corporate) and they said the local manager was going to contact me, and it never happened...
I was expecting a lot more flexibility from a Marriott, since I'm a Platinum Premier and spend most of my nights at a Marriott. Disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Marcelo L
MarriottCancun, Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest Golf522,

Please let me thank you for your comments posted on trip advisor as for your loyalty to Marriott, your value feedback will help us to improve our services, I will be glad to follow this too from your report sent to Customer Service.

Miguel Angel Flores C. | Manager On Duty.|

There are newer reviews for Marriott Cancun Resort

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This was a pretty mainstream hotel on the beach, I find most of them have been pretty good in my experience. Clean, friendly staff (even when my toddler got a stomach bug and began throwing up in the lobby), beautiful views, nice swimming pool, free wifi (although a little spotty, but I won't complain!), good workout area (my sister in law even left her wallet in the gym and an employee returned it safely. Unfortunately that's not the case in a lot of scenarios!), a couple good happy hours, free parking, helpful staff for excursion booking (I highly recommend a day at Isla Mujeres!!!!!!!), a little spendy in the restaurants and bars....but no more than surrounding hotels. I highly recommend the buffet but it is a little pricey, all meals were delicious, though. They went the extra mile on my daughter's birthday and brought out a special dessert and sang her happy birthday! It was certainly memorable and special! Check in and out was easy. Overall we had a nice stay and don't have any complaints. Would definitely go back!

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jamers05
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Jamers05:
I am so glad to know that you and your family enjoyed the Marriott CasaMagna Cancun as well the hospitality and kindness of our staff. Sorry to hear that your son had a stomach bug, I hope it was not anything serious. Also I´m happy to read that your sister in law recovered her wallet from the gym, we know that security is an important factor and we strive every day to make that happen for our guests.
We wish to continue creating memorable experiences so we will love to have you back!
Sincerely
Manuel Magaña / Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at the Casa Magna, in a Carribean Suite (#5022) and enjoyed our stay immensely. We chose the all inclusive package for our family of four (two adults and two children, ages 8 and 10) and don't regret it for a second!

From outstanding service from Manuel at the swim-up bar and Ivan (our favorite staff member who delivered room service), we were impressed. The breakfast buffet was not our favorite (seemingly strange assortment of foods?), but dinner at Sa Si Thai restuarant WAS. Delicious food (make your reservations around 7pm for a perfectly not busy experience).

Lunch at Champions was enjoyable ... we had good service there as well. Room service seemed to take quite a bit of time (40 minutes + most times) but we never had a mistake on our order.

The hotel itself is a bit on the tired side and we didn't participate in the kids club activities. We booked this trip solely to eat, drink and enjoy the ocean and the pool. For that, it scores five stars from us.

The perks of the all inclusive that we enjoyed the most included the boogie boards and pool floats, in addition to not worrying about the kids enjoying fun frozen drinks and cerveza pool side!

If you book the all inclusive package, be sure to read your brochure thoroughly (i.e. check whether your food is covered if you eat before the actual check in time, mini bar isn't included, laundry isn't included, etc.)

Room Tip: We enjoyed our corner suite for sunrise views every morning on the balcony. The rooms tend to be ei...

Dear Naomi Hattaway:
Glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks for noticing Manuel and Ivan, I will let them know about your warmest and fabulous comments, thanks for make me feel proud of my staff!. Regarding the breakfast buffet we always try to have a variety of dishes to please different tastes, anyway I appreciate your feedback.
It´s great that you had the opportunity to visit Sasi Thai, one of the best Thai restaurants in Cancun; I hope you enjoyed as well its view of the stunning sunset, It’s amazing!
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.
I look forward to welcome you and your family again!
Warmest Regards
Manuel Magaña/ Hotel Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I stayed for eight days this past June. Upon checking in they tried to get us to upgrade our room despite the fact we reserved an ocean view with a balcony. We declined as we didn't want to pay an extra $80 a night. They stated they upgraded us for free anyway which was nice, but it seemed like the same room we reserved in the first place. The room was so much smaller than I expected. I was surprised they didn't even have a coffee maker. My son stayed on the fold out sofa. I had to track down a maid to get sheets and pillows for the sofa bed and it was gross looking (the mattress). We didn't need room service a couple of days and left the privacy sign on the door, but the maids called the front desk to call the room to tell us they couldn't clean with the sign up. Really?! There is also a desk in the lobby you have to pass before you go through through two doors to the elevator then to your room. Just about every single time you pass the desk they want to know where are you going, what are your plans, have they given you your discount card yet and so on. It's super annoying! I ate at Champions while I was there, no compaints. I don't recommend buying water at the gift shop, I think a paid $10 usd for two not so big bottles. While I was there I had an issue with a day trip and had to make some phone calls, 11 to be exact. The longest was 12 minutes and the shortest was a minute and five were local the rest being TOLL-FREE, but upon checking out my phone charges tallied up to be $2492.21 mxn peso or about $207.85 of that total $199.83 usd were toll-free calls. They are also doing some sort of remodeling right now. I felt bad for the people who's room was right next to the workers jack hammering tile from the balconcies and there were workers hanging off other balconies by ropes painting the exterior. I didn't do any activities through the hotel so can't comment on that. I did want to try their breakfast buffett, but when I took a peak it didn't look that great especially for the price. I was thrilled that their water and ice where safe to drink. If you book here also be aware that the area where the rooms are, are kind of out side so when you leave the lobby your hit with hot humid air and the smell of the area by the rooms remind me of a snake or turtle terrarium.

Room Tip: If you have young kids be cautious with the balconies they look like they're put together with s...
3  Thank Miranda E
MarriottCancun, Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest Miranda E,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time on posting your valuables comments, as the feedback from our guests is very important for Marriott. I can say that sometimes our guest forget the sign on for not to disturb and we want to make sure, first, that you were fine an second, to provide our services; I do apologize for the incident as for the agents of Club Desk, that definitely will change to an invitation. Regarding the assistance on calls, normally is assisted by our concierge with no extra charge; food and beverage can say that we take great care of safety food and water conditions making regular tests from this, rest assure to use your feedback for improvements on property.

We really hope to have a new opportunity to host a future stay at this resort.

Miguel Flores / Manager on Duty

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is the second time we stay at the Marriott Casa Magna in Cancun. This is a great family hotel, it is large enough but also not too large, it is very convenient and it is located in what I believe is the best beach area in Cancun. Has a very nice beach long beach which has several nice "Palapas" which you can use for free, right on the beach. There are some new larger areas with three lounge chairs which you can rent for the day. There is a nice casual restaurant right on the beach, this is a great place to get some food or drinks while you are on the beach. There are waiters all the time who are happy to bring you drinks or food directly to where you are on the beach. The pool area is also nice with a large sit in pool bar and a large jacuzzi. There is also a volley ball court area on the pool. The Hotel is very conveniently located, there are a couple of restaurantes right in the hotel and there are a couple just across the street. Also just across the street is Aquaworld, a business that provides many different tours to the many things there are to do in Cancun and the Riviera Maya. The Marriott Casa Magna is also joined to the JW Marriott Hotel, which is a bit more upscale and more business oriented. The Casa Magna used the Capilla Restaurant for Breakfast, here you can have a true Mexican Breakfast, it is an all you can eat buffet with all types of Mexican dishes and a couple of cooks that can either cook you eggs in any style you want or some great quesadillas.
Overall the Marriott Casa Magna is a great choice in Cancun.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have a great Ocean View, some have larger balconies and the suites are closer to t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear CGMParkland:
I´m happy to read that you have chosen the Marriott CasaMagna Cancun for your vacations again! Thanks for your trust and loyalty in our Resort.
I´m agree with you, our beach is one of the best in Cancun! And I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay, the hotel facilities, location and service.
About our breakfast, what can I say about La Capilla Argentina? It’s one of the best breakfast buffets in Cancun hotel zone and I’m glad to know that you enjoyed our Mexican dishes.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again.
Warmest Regards
Manuel Magaña / Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The beach is beautiful. The rooms are very average. The bathrooms don't have fans so you better like feeling clammy the whole time. Maid service was average. Restaurants were ridiculously expensive. Ordered three bottles of water down at the beach: $22 US! You have got to be kidding me. And the breakfast everyone said was not to be missed and worth every penny comes out to $40US a person. Family of five...breakfast for $200? Please.

The pool felt like a hot tub which is hardly refreshing. The staff seems nice but never misses an opportunity to upsell you on some "adventure package." It's clear the entire resort area wants nothing more than US money for every little thing. Would I go back? Probably not. I can find better deals and similar beaches in the US and not get nickel-and-dimed for every little thing.

But most of all: Until the Mexican government returns our Marine, we are boycotting your country. The double-standard is unacceptable. A Mexican chopper crosses our border and fires on our agents and offers an apology yet has the audacity to hold our Marine who made a wrong turn across your border? Unacceptable. Mexico feigns friendship with the US but only wants our money.

2  Thank tclary
MarriottCancun, Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest TClary,

It´s great to receive and discuss your warm comments. Yes the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort it is located in one of most beautiful beach in the Cancun hotel zone and within walking distance to several good restaurants and entertainment areas. We are very sorry to hear you found our food and beverage prices very high, prices are similar within all hotels of the same category. I will personally work on the correction of the level of service you received and the others issues you detailed in your report. I hope you will back soon, so you can see a remarkable improvement.

Miguel Angel Flores C. | Manager On Duty |

Reviewed 28 June 2014

After spending 114 days at Marriott property while searching for a home in AZ, we acquired Gold membership and decided to use points at this hotel for first 3 nights and then pay Gold member's going rate for last 3 nights. Young lady at Elite counter said we could upgrade for a nicer suite for $60.US a night. Think we should have been put in one gratus being Gold and we declined paying extra. She told us we had very nice room on 5th. floor. It was Sunday evening and our room faced pool/ocean. OK room...would hate to see room if we were not "upgraded" because of Gold status. Only problem was we weren't advised when checking in that there was jackhammering in this wing which started on Monday at 8AM. A Gold perk??? After the jackhammering was done for day the area was very quiet. As others reported, rooms are shop worn and small. All the emphasis has been put into the lobby which is beautiful. Room cleaning ok and request for extra towels written on paper daily with thank you dollars went unheeded.

Yes, we knew the Casa Magna was noted as "family style" resort but unfortunately last part of the week we were there the breakfast restaurant and pool were overrun by local folks who must have brought neighbors kids with them. We can see why JW next door does not allow Casa Magna folks to use their pool.

Being Gold members we had breakfast buffet included in last 3 paid days. Little cheap on Marriott's part not to include 3 days we used points. We ate at Champions first evening and as other folks said, very loud and noisy. We sat at bar and Val made us feel at home. Weekdays, happy hour in lobby bar. Margheritas and Mojitos 2 for 1. LaCapella Steakhouse was a major disappointment for my wife's birthday. Food was not up to par and menu selections not available. Next day spoke with Food & Beverage Mgr. and he was apologetic. Rest of week we ate dinner next door at JW's Gustino's...wonderful service and great food. My wife finally got her 8oz lobster cooked to perfection. Being from AZ and enjoying fine dining, we did not feel prices were too high for a resort restaurant such as Gustino's. See my review of Gustino's.

We did meet some wonderful service folks during our stay. They did everything to make our stay enjoyable. Having lived in FL for 10 years, our weather during the week was very comp to FL...cloudy, sunny, cloudy, sunny and humid. Plenty of umbrellas.

Watch your folio and check before day you leave. Had a minibar charge on it. Before we arrived we had concierge make a reservation with Prestige Transport to pick us up at airport and bring us back there...$50.US each way for private transport. Going to hotel worked out fine but Prestige never showed up at hotel to take us to airport. Waited 20mins. but after 6AM pickup time went by got cab...only $25.US. Bellman who assisted us said no one at Prestige at 6AM to find out what's going on. Not a good way to do business. Hotel credited us the $50. after we got home and e mailed concierge.

All in all it was a great vacation and the week went very slow. Don't think we would choose this property for a return vacation Don't like to have to fight for what's due you being a Gold member.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank myakkalady
MarriottCancun, Front Office Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Congratulations on achieving a Gold Status in our Marriott Rewards Program; our benefits being a Resort are different but always appreciating your loyalty. I am sorry to hear that in your first day you had noise close to your room, I sincerely regret the disturbance. Thank you very much for your nice comments about Gustino, it is an AAA Five Diamond Italian restaurant and we are very proud of it. I would also like to thank you for your feedback about our other restaurants; I am sharing this information with our Director of Food & Beverage so we can follow up this directly with our team. We will let Val know that the service she provided make you feel at home. I regret the final inconvenience with our concessionary Prestige, we took the necessaries measures for this situation do not happen again. It would be a pleasure to have the opportunity to host you once again in our hotel.
Tiffany S. (Front Office Manager)