“Great Vacation”
Review of Park Royal Cancun

Park Royal Cancun
Ranked #58 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Park Royal is definitely the place to stay in Cancun. The hotel is beautiful and is right across from the Isla shopping mall which offers something for everyone. The view of the Caribbean Sea from the upper pool is magnificent. The staff are friendly, especially Paco the Director of Recreational Activities. He and his staff do a wonderful job in entertaining guests. Their personalities toward vacationers makes you feel like part of their family. They take time out to converse with you in making sure stay is an enjoyable one. They can not do enough for you. The staff at the pool bars and dining areas are gracious, greeting you with courtesy and smiles and by the second day know you by name. Food and drinks are definitely worth the all inclusive rate. If you want a relaxing, entertaining, friendly and overall great place to stay, the Park Royal is where you want to be!!

1  Thank Sandikev
Monica C, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Thank you very much for your excellent review! At Park Royal Cancun we try to make everybody’s stay unforgettable, and we are so happy that we succeeded. We are pleased that the service was exceptional and we will let them know that their hard work does not go unnoticed. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 October 2012

My friend booked this trip through her cousin's time share so we got an awesome deal for our buck. The room was decent and service staff was awesome. This was an all inclusive deal so the food was great and so were the drinks. The wait staff in the restaurant were always pleasant and greeted us with a smile. I did not like the sales pitch attempt of buying Royal lifetime package for x amount of dollars ( The cheapest is package is $2200 so just get there and not from the start of $8000). In the end however it was the front desk staff and the so called manager that ruined it. There were fees to be paid in the end and instead of explaining there was a different exhange rate for money and debit cards they over charged my friends card without telling her the difference and were arrogant in their response to her confusion. No one was helpful in this situation and it left a bitter taste in our mouths. Overall one of the best vacations ever!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alethea B
Monica C, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Park Royal Cancun. We apologize for the shortcomings that you describe. We hope that these events don’t deter you from staying with us again.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Booked the Park Royal as part of a Club La Costs package (another story, but forget them!).

Rooms:
Rooms were large but came from the 1980's. Furniture aging, sticky and rickety.
TV's I wouldn't have in my home (large 1980's style).
Used the room safe every day and night (read below for theft in the hotel).

Beach:
Nice, white and long, but the seaweed in the water was always prevalent. Always around you and was always on the beach even though there was hotel staff doing some work to clean it in the early mornings.

Area:
The La Isla Mall was great, the best Mall all around. Classy and open (no air conditioning thank God).
The Flea Market up the road was terrible. I am used to Muslim markets where the sellers are always trying to get you into their shops, but this was a few levels above...almost threatening...beware here.

Internet Access:
Charging guests $15 a day for Internet access - terrible. You can buy weekly packages but still expensive. Wasn't even very fast or reliable....1 day the router was down in our part of the hotel. Although when I spoke with the internet tech support they gave me a day back.

Food, Drinks and Restaurants:
This is an all-inclusive hotel, food was good, nothing fantastic, the dining staff were very nice though, friendly and always courteous and talkative. Bar staff were also very good around the pool areas. The best thing to do if you don't have kids is to reserve a table every night at the on site Italian restaurant. Otherwise expect a very very noisy dinner.
Wish they would serve drinks in plastics cups instead of these polystyrene cups. Understand that plastic can also cut but come one. Give the polystyrene to kids and let the adults enjoy a pina colada or tequila sunrise in a transparent vessel.

Pools:
Small and can become very busy especially when the recreation staff are running sports and entertainment (water polo, etc). Staff allow fat, loud American women (and anyone else I suppose, but I only saw these kind of people), eating and smoking in the pools....disgusting.

Hotel areas:
Lobby bar has no atmosphere. Just chairs and tables laid out like a seminar........
Bars closed very early, 11pm every night.
Watch out for the hotel shop. Good that its open all-day and night, but only accept credit card and Peso's, no US dollars.
The Hammocks next to the the upper pool and bar are a very nice touch. Shaded and right on the beach.

Entertainment:
Seemed to be a lot going on. Good for families and couples.

Theft:
We left our mobile telephone in our bag, locked and hidden under a towel and under the sun lounger next to the pool whilst we went to lunch. Returned 30 minutes later to find that the phone had been taken.
I notified the Hotel security and then management. They took absolutely no action. In the end I had to force them to write an incident report. The hotel management told us that there are never any reporting's of thefts in the hotel.
I then went to the local police station and reported it.
Talking with our friendly restaurant staff the next day, one of them said that we did the right thing to go to the police as there are many mobile telephone thefts in the hotel and that the thieves are the hotel swimming pool staff. We were also told that the hotel security know about it and them and do nothing about it. After this we recognised that the hotel staff are very creepy bunch of people, always looking at the guests belongings. Our phone was stolen after a week being there...we were observed.....

Summary:
Nice hotel, mostly friendly staff, management useless, not great rooms,

BEWARE THE POOL STAFF AS THEY ARE ALLEGEDLY THIEVES AS REPORTED BY THE HOTELS OWN STAFF!

We will not be back to this hotel. The area of Cancun we were in was nice.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel if you are a couple. If you are a big family (6 people), its ok.
4  Thank Rich_United
Monica C, Gerente at Park Royal Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We are very disappointed to hear that your experience during your stay did not live up to your expectations. Please know that our employees are trained to deliver exceptional service to all clients and we apologize if that was not the service you received. We will address the problems to ensure that they do not occur in the future.

Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week in late August.

We were in an ambassador sweet. All the floors were a smooth tile floor, very nice unless you are wet. One night one of the sheets had blood stain on it, a very small amount, but still.

I felt that the whole resort was very unwelcoming to people who didn't speak Spanish. The cleaning ladies couldn't not communicate with us, or one of the towel guys.

The lower pool was ful of fun and activities, but they were mostly in Spanish and didn't really feel welcomed there either.

The beach was nice, but the lifeguards would never really let us swim.

The buffet was decent, but always had some sort of crazy dishes. The Italian restaurant was better than the buffet, but I think Olive Garden food probably tastes better. The snack bar was nice, but the pizza was gross. Burgers were the best. Wish they had guacamole at the snack bar.

The service at the restaurants were fantastic, sometimes a little overbearing.

Location was a short taxi from Señor Frogs and several malls. La Isla mall was a 5 minute walk away, very nice mall.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We have just returned from a holiday in Mexico starting with meeting friends from Merida ( whom we havent seen for 5 years ) so to a start out holiday decided on having a few days AI in Cancun.
After doing my ususal homework and investigations etc I finally decided on Park Royal after eliminating other properties in the same price band in Cancun,What a decision of which i have no regrets at all in any way of this hotel,fantastic location (opposite Isla shopping centre with all designer shops etc but i must say i only ventured once for a short while ) on the beach, ( Where turtles hatched while we were their ) 2 pools 1 buffet resaurant 1 Italian restaurant which was nice but the buffe reataurant with theme nights was good enough on its own with the fantastik service received from all the staff and the selection and qualityof the food.We spent out time visiting all bars and pools where the staff never forgot your drink order and didnt mind when as we did change our drinks dependant on the mood as nothing was too much trouble to accomodate your needs,All the top shelf spirits in all bars very unusual unless staying in much dearer 5 * hotels .

We left for Merida after meeting many many friends and nationalaties and having a very memorable and value for money in Park Royal and are now planning a full holiday at Park royal for next year

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank guliver

Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband and I were gifted our honeymoon through a family member that is a Royal Holiday member. Overall it was a nice resort. Not what I would recommend for a honeymoon but we did have a good vacation.

Pros:
-Very clean (both rooms and resort property). The staff did a great job of keeping everything very clean and well taken care of
-One of the most beautiful beaches I have been to thus far. Soft white sand, turquoise water.
-Great buffet restaurant. I have Celiac disease (a sever allergy to gluten) but Antonio, one of the restaurant managers made sure to go through all the food selections with me each day to show me what was safe and what was not. He checked all the ingredients and asked when he wasn't sure about something. Oriental night was the worst for me (because of soy sauce on everything) so he had the chef make me a special dish.
- Great service by buffet staff and travel office: Between Antonio and our breakfast and lunch server Gabriel, they always made sure we had a smile on our face by the time we left. Gabriel got to know our favorite drinks and dishes and would bring them to us, without us even asking! He brought my husband bacon every day for breakfast... when bacon wasn't even out for breakfast! As for the travel agency women, they were so friendly and helpful. They were honest about prices and excursion popularity vs the experience and even went above and beyond to help me contact a local dog rescue Tierra de Animales that we went to go visit. They made phone calls for me to get addresses and directions and did a lot of research and soley out of being helpful, They didn't expect any money or tips.

Cons:
-Front desk and Royal Holiday staff. Very rude and unhelpful (especially the Royal Holiday staff) if they didn't think they would be getting any more money from you. There is a 90 minute presentation that you can do to receive some tequilla and $100 towards any of your excursions. For me it was worth it to have the money, we needed it to do all the trips we wanted, but it was barely worth it. I was exhausted and very irritated at the end of the 90 min presentation. VERY high pressure sales.
-Beds: We had an ambassador room. Simple, clean, not much in the way of decor or luxury, In fact my husband and I had to sleep in different beds because the beds were so small (our feet hung over the edge a bit). We tried to ask for a room with a queen or king but apparently they don't have any at this resort.

Trips:
- Swim with dolphins at dolphin discovery Okay. Picked this company because I felt they were the most humane and responsible with how they treated their dolphins.
- Coba Maya Ruins Cultural trip. Highlight of my trip! Learned so much and had a great time. If you actually want to learn something (and not in a boring way) opt for the cultural trip, not the adventure.
- Xplore: Okay.. my husband liked it more than me although I am not a huge fan of caves with bats flying around and pooping on me....
- Tierra de Animales: Arranged through facebook. We are huge animal rescue supporters back home and we went to visit and help wash dogs for a few hours. Was very eye opening.Was another highlight and we were glad we went.

Room Tip: Presidential only if your looking for any kind of luxury or romance
2  Thank littlemissceliac

Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

Ok, so I have reviewed this hotel before... But since my last review I have stayed at 2 other premium resorts in Mexico. They had flash, and lavish rooms - but really were just too impersonal, too many extra costs, and crowd after crowd seemed to be waiting for their "jersey shore" audition. Then I came back to the Park Royal and I have to say I will keep coming back!

The staff at this resort is unreal. First are the restaurant staff. These guys know your name, your drinks, what food you like... I think I might adopt Gabriel, or maybe he has adopted me. The bartenders (Mario, Leonardo, Benjamin, Manuel, Esteban) are not only fast at slinging drinks for an endless line of tourists, but they make it a personal experience. While I was there, most staff were speaking Portuguese to the Brazilians, had cheat cards with words in Russian, all while speaking Spanish and English.

I can not leave out the entertainment staff either. There were some new faces (John, Jovani) but Paco and his staff know how to make this place a lasting experience for all guests. They have games for kids, sports all day (we had people from other hotels coming just to try and join the beach volleyball). And of course there real specialty is the nights out. Usually a hotel will tell you were to go, maybe get you a small discount and a free taxi there - but this experience was way more. If there are groups that want to go to other locations, the team splits so both groups have a "tour guide" at the club. Truly a wild and safe experience.

Now the hotel still has a more rustic feel. The rooms and some common spaces are ready for a touch up. But I promise you, just the staff alone will leave you wanting to come back. I'm at 3 trips now.

• Stayed: September 2012