Moon Palace Cancun
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Grand At Moon Palace(Cancun)
  • Beachfront
Club Med Cancun Yucatan(Cancun)
  • Pool
Sun Palace(Cancun)
24,362 results
All reviewssunrise sectionnizuc sectionflow ridernizuc and sunrisegolf clubla gondolalos tacoslos caporalesresort creditla trattoriaswing barpublic relationspay taxvacation plannersbrazilian restauranthuge resortdolphin swim
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2012

just returned from Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort, We were allocated a superior deluxe in the Margarita block of the Nizuc section of the hotel. Room was very clean and in addition to the double jacuzzi bath, had 2 double beds, as we were a family of 3. Not sure really if they were as big as doubles so if you are on the large size and intend to share, bear that in mind. Used the jacuzzi a couple of times but personally i don't think it was a necessesity in the room. bathroom had a walk in shower and was spacious. vanity area with sink and large mirrors was also spacious. aircon in the room was very effective. our room overlooked the gardens and had a partial sea view. the balcony was very small compared to the balconies in sunrise/grand.
the nizuc is the centre block of the hotel with the very quiet grand to the right and the much larger sunrise to the left. the pool around the nizuc is getting rather old i'd say and the pool in the sunrise is much much bigger. no issues with getting sunbeds, a lot of the clientele are americans and don't come down till about 11am. nice sunbeds under straw parasols on the beach where you always get a welcome breeze of the sea. for the first time in the carribean area, never once felt the humidity, yes it was hot, but not humid like Florida which is draining.
the weather was great, with only one really overcast day. most days are sunny till about 2pm then got cloudy but still very warm. never encountered any rain at all, although there was a heavy thunderstorm during the night once with big bangs and lightening.
the beach at the Moon Palace is not nice to swim in, with lots and lots of seaweed. went a couple of times to the Beach Palace and the sea there is fantastic..pure white sands and turquoise blue sea, real picture postcard scene, so defo worth a visit.
the hotel is huge and although i had reservations it may be too big, it wasn't. there are buses to shuttle you around if you want but walking is not an issue.
there are lots of great restaurants to choose from, including buffet and al a carte. we tried them all out and they were all good. if you like steak, you will be in your element. t bones, sirloin all cooked to perfection. the only restaurants that need bookings are at the golf club, italian and chinese. both are lovely and well worth a visit. there is a dress code at these 2 restaurants which is non negotiable, men (and boys over 1 metre tall) you have to wear long trousers, so sporty style and a coller shirt/t shirt. saw many people turned away as they were not dressed appropriately.the food overall was excellent everywhere.
the staff at this hotel are the best you will every experience. nothing is a problem to them and all service with a smile and you can tell they want to enhance your overall experience. yes defo credit to all the staff. lots of bars but think my favourite was in the sunrise lobby, at the horseshoe shaped bar. you don't even finish your drink before another one is placed in front of you. the lobby bar in the nizuc is great too. the vibe at the sunrise has a bigger buzz than the nizuc. lots of wedding parties, hen do's and teenagers at the sunrise, where a disco is held after the resident singers finish at 10pm
missed a lot of the entertainment as a lot of it starts at 7pm which is too early i think. we dont tend to eat till 8pm and most shows started at 7 and 9 so didn't see much. the nizuc lobby has a casino night on monday which was great fun,(no money involved)
husband and son played golf using the resort credits and liked the course, but be aware of the wildlife!!! they saw large alligators, so don't hunt for your ball in the bushes! there are fox/raccoon type animals running around the course. they jump on the back of the golf cart and steal your sandwiches, nuts, coke etc. (!!!!) friends at the grand said they had an alligator which lay in the bushes around the pool sometimes!!! you will see quite a lot of iguanas too around the hotel complex. had no issues with bugs or insects and we never had a single mozzie bite between us (used avon skin so soft with a little citronella oil added) but we did see people about with mozzie bites
resort credits were a bit confusing..we had $2500. if you booked before april you dont pay tax, but if after then you pay 11% tax on anything booked with resort credits.i've got a print out of details of room credits, and a spa menu/price list if you want a copy message me and i'll email to you. we left with still 800 credits left, but as an example i had 2, 80 minute massages, a pedicure, 2 men played 5 rounds of golf, went on a snorkalling/submarine trip using our resort credits and it never cost a penny.
courtesy bus runs to beach palace. sun palace and wet and wild at 12, 2 and 4. would have liked to have one leave at 10am so you could spend a whole day at the beah palace. took a taxi the day we went to beach palace and it cost 300 pesos (about £15) one way. the one disappointing thing about the hotel is it is quite far out of the main hotel zone of cancun. takes about 20 minutes on the bus/taxi. the beach palace in right in the centre and surrounded by other hotels and shopping malls, but it is a much smaller hotel.
the one thing that did really bug us about the hotel was they don't have enough staff on the desks for booking trips and enquiring about room credits. there is a long stretch of desks for about 20 staff but only 2 or 3 of them will make the bookings etc and everytime we went had to queue for in excess of 30/40 minutes just to ask a question. think this is something the hotel needs to improve.
overall we really enjoyed our time. don't think it is 5* maybe a good 4* as some of the areas are a bit dated, although a lot of work is being done just now painting and extending buildings. would go back to the hotel and recommend it to others.
message me if you have any questions and i'll be happy to share anything.

Room Tip: if you like to sit on the balcony, don't opt for nizuc as they are small.
17  Thank SunloverKScotland

BEWARE OF VACATION SALES
They are extremely pushy & very rude!
Also know that SECURITY does not exist at this hotel....do not let your teens roam at night by themselves.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank DCMet
Reviewed 21 July 2012

we traveled as a party of 19 to Moon Palace Cancun. We were very excited about this vacation having been to the a Palace Resort in the past, Moon Palace DR. We arrived around 11 am and it took us over an hour and a half to check in. I find this to be a common problem when traveling to a reosrt with a party of our size. There were a couple of problems we encountered during our stay. First off the resort is under going an extensive renovation. If we had prior knowledge of this we probally would have found another resort. It made it difficult to get around the property not to mention the noise and the dust from the work. There are series of bridges to walk to get between the different pools thatwe found closed again making difficult to get around.
My second issue was when our son needed medical attention at the local hospital due to an injury suffered in the pool and we were sent via taxi at our own expense. I found this appauling from a resort that claims to be of 5 star quality. When we approached the public relations personel to file a complaint we became even more disenchanted with the resort.This resort could use some training on customer relations on the front end
We found all the service personel to be excellent, the bartenders, food service, entertainers were exceptional. The pools for the most part were clean even with the renovations to the bridges and pool deck. The transportation between the three properties,(Sunrise, Nizuk, Grand) ran quite often but there could have been more transportation provided to Beach palace. Beach Palace has the best beach of the four properties and is well worth the trip.
the food was also excellent but there was little variety when it came to the dessert selection. If your trip includes the "extra credits" be warned that they are already allocated to certain goods and services and are used more as a marketing tool to get you to sign up for the time share tour.

Room Tip: Get a newly renovated room away from the renovation project
2  Thank Joe B
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Just returned from Moon Palace where overall we had an enjoyable family vacation. We stayed at Sunrise and had an adjoining family room. Rooms were clean and well serviced with good facilities if a little bit dated.

Food overall was very good although it took us 5 days into our holiday before we could book the Italian or Oriental A La Carte restaurants at the Spa - best advice is to book as soon as you arrive for the duration of your stay. One of the other reports suggested you could only book on the day for the day however we were able to make all our bookings at once. Favorite restaurants were the Caribbean one at The Grand for Breakfast, Sunrise Pool for Lunch and the Brazilian for Dinner. We felt the Mexican was very poor although worth trying the Mayan Coffee - nice experience!

Pool areas were very good although you do need to get there reasonably early if you want sun loungers under a shaded area as people tend to put towels in place and then disappear!

The beach area does have significant seaweed as reported by others however there are some areas where it is cleared. Take a trip to Beach Palace where the beach and waves are fantastic!

Nice golf course with amazing wildlife - watch out for Crocs, Coatimundi and Boa's. Like playing golf at the Zoo! Recommend Jungle and Lake courses - Dunes in very poor condition by comparison. Green fee somewhat high at $289 but assume this is based on fictional credit system! Recommend a twilight time from 2.30pm onwards - $189 and cooler time of the afternoon.

We did have a number of issues that went unheeded by hotel staff! It seems to be impossible to speak with a Manager and the PR representatives that you are guided to with any issues don't seem to understand any logic!

Main issues for us were the following:

Turned up to take the courtesy bus to Beach Palace 30 minutes prior to departure and asked for 5 tickets (family were literally 2 minutes behind me) to be told that everyone had to be there before tickets could be issued. Absolutely no flexibility in their "rules" despite the fact that we clearly wanted to make the trip. Was told first come first served basis only. As it happened we managed to get spaces however the last thing I want on holiday is rules that no one is prepared to be flexible on. It also highlighted that they need to have more capacity and more frequent transport given the demand. We also witnessed some issues with people being refused back on the return trip because they took a later bus than the one they were supposed to be on.

Drunken behavior was evident at the pool bars on a number of occasions mainly late afternoon. However on one occasion this came to blows with no real security to deal with the issue quickly. Don't get me wrong, I like to have a few drinks and party like everyone else however fighting and foul language around families and children is not acceptable in my book. Suggested that they should think about having one of the pool bars as strictly adult only.

We also received 3 tickets for the Cirque Dreams show. The show itself was fantastic however we were a bit upset that we only got 3 tickets allocated when we came as a family of 5. 3 tickets are normally allocated per room however despite having two rooms we only received 3 tickets as our two rooms were booked under one reservation despite the fact we were still paying for 2! As it happens I received 2 additional tickets from a really nice couple I met playing golf who weren't planning to use theirs otherwise it would have cost me $100 min for 2 tickets and you are not able to use credits. What upset me even more was the arrangements for the show which is about 5 mins away on a bus. They took us at 7.40pm for a 9pm show and kept us waiting outside for 1 hour in the heat with the mossies before we were allowed in the Auditorium. There was very limited seating which was poor for older people and drinks had to be bought despite the "all inclusive" tag. To be honest I wouldn't have minded paying for drinks I've I'd known beforehand that I needed to take cash. Beats me why they couldn't have bussed people at 8.20 or 8.30pm.

We reported these issues to Alfonso (?) who said he would give us feedback however as expected we never heard anything!

I also experienced an issue at the golf course where they wanted to charge me $35 for my nine year old daughter to ride on the cart. This was despite playing with a gentleman a few days earlier who had his son with him and indicated he didn't pay anything. The golf check-in staff were rude and offered no flexibility of options - I wanted to take my daughter back to the main hotel complex as I wasn't prepared to pay $35 and they told me they weren't prepared to reschedule my tee time. Their next best option was to use $60 credits for her to play!! In the end I was allowed to see a Manager after waiting 15 mins who saw sense and waived the fee on this occasion.

Overall the staff were very good and hard working in the restaurants, etc however the customer service staff were probably some of the poorest I have encountered and I travel extensively on business. This is the first time I have written a trip advisor report and I was driven to do this due to my frustration with these issues! If I'd had some feedback on the issues I'd reported or been given access to a Manager to discuss I probably wouldn't be writing this.

Suffice to say I won't be a return customer of Moon Palace or Palace Resorts.

3  Thank Alex W
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just spent 7 days at the Moon Palace Sunrise. I was there for a convention and decided to make a family vacation out of it. This was my 7th trip to the Cancun/Riviera Maya region with my family and this was our least favorite resort.
On a positive note, I have to say how fabulous the staff and service is. Everyone acts with the utmost professionalism and class.
The problem is that the resort is old and has seen better days. The rooms are ridiculously small with an old, dirty two person jacuzzi tub that takes up 1/3 of the living space. The bathroom sink area is so tiny that we had to carefully plan how and when we would get ready (we are a family of 3). The beds are hard and small - only rooms with 2 full size beds, no queens. You cannot use a room with 1 king and a roll away since tbe stupid tub is in tbe way.
A large part of the resort (including the lobby and pool deck) is under construction. Tbe pool is old and needs to be drained, cleaned and retiled.

Restaurant selection is good - many buffets and menu style restaurants. Tratorria at the golf club is the best.

The beach has beautiful white sand and it is completely private. The water is very turbid and murky - not the typical cleares blue- green water of the region. It is full of seaweed and tons of jellyfish.

I prefer resorts in the area that offer all junior suites like Barcelo.

• Stayed: July 2012