“Summer Visit to Moon Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Summer Visit to Moon Palace”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

A little late- but wanted to give my feedback. This was my first visit to any Palace Resort (I did travel as a guest of a member) anyone can do this- research this before you visit! We travel every year to Mexico or the Carribean- Some of my other favorite resort chains are: Dreams, Iberostar & Palladium. My family really enjoys the larger MEGA SIZE resort. If that isn't your thing...this resort isn't for you.

What we loved: Close to the airport- not driving an hour down to Riveria Maya! The size of the resort- ability to use all of the other hotels/pools/restaurants in this complex with no limitations. The pools- beautiful! The availability of food & bars directly adjacent to the pool. Pool waiters (not every large resort has them!) The number of food choices & the ease of getting into restaurants (not having to make reservations for the whole week on the first day!) The additional amenities geared toward families (flow-rider, teen club, kids club, family suites with adjacent rooms - this type of room option is CERTAINLY not available everywhere) Room Service, Mini-bar in the room with FULL SIZE bottles, Quality of the bedding, Amount of activities scheduled daily, the Nightclub, the free transportation to Beach Palace & complimentary use of that hotel- which we LOVED. Resort credits were a nice addition to our vacation (we swam with dolphins, had numerous spa visits, upgraded wine with dinner, kids had their hair done in the beauty shop, we all had mani-pedis) We also liked that the rooms were connected to the lobby- It rained (really rained) a few days & we liked that we could easily get to the lobby without walking miles in the rain or waiting for a train to pick us up outside our room. FREE WI-FI and FREE CALLS TO THE US (this is HUGE for traveling with kids!!!)

What we didn't love; the resort is Huge and geared to host GIANT conventions- these can have a negative impact your trip (resort can become over-crowded, guests at these conventions can be rude & overwhelm the restaurants & pool areas) However- Palace resorts does post a schedule of these on their website, so you can plan to avoid these groups. Towel game!!! crazy because there are SO MANY CHAIRS here. People reserve pool chairs with their towels- and NEVER show up ALL DAY- Palace needs to stop allowing this silly practice. While we felt the resort credit program was a value....it certainly did seem over-priced (esp. the photo program - would love to see more options) The beach - but we research any resort we visit before we go- so we knew exactly what to expect (the few days we spent at Beach Palace more than made up for that!) We felt that service & food at some restaurants was a little below expectations - but again, we visited at prime time in August with a convention going on. Member transportation back to the airport was AWFUL- they were late, we waited forever, bus was crowded! You are so close to the airport- definitely worth it to just take a taxi or schedule a private transfer.

Overall- we really enjoyed this trip- my teenage daughters who travel with us every year told us this resort was their ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. This resort caters to families for sure. We will return to Moon Palace & most certainly will try another one of their properties.

Jesus at the omelette bar in the Sunrise Buffet was EXCELLENT- he is an amazing employee- you are lucky to have him!

Room Tip: We stayed in Mango- we really wanted to be in the "center of the activity" close to pools...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lovethebeach70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,887)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I am scrolling through the reviews of moon palace and I need to say very few people who have said this resort is not 5 star have got to be joking! Moon palace is absoloutley AMAZING!!!!!! those who are moaning about the beach there are tractors on the beach everyday cleaning the seaweed away and the resort provide a free bus that goes to the sister hotel beach palace where a beautiful beach is provided and you can use all facilities! It is a natural cause not much the staff can do about a bit of seaweed on the beach! Secondly the rooms not being clean? Every day the maids go in any problem we had I:e the broken safe and the light on the balcony all we done was pick up the phone tell reception and someone was knocking on the door within 5 minutes! Also the food absoloutly amazing!!!!!!! There is SO many restaurants to choose from you are bound to find something you like the waiters cannot do enough for you!! Particularly for us at the grande Luis, Waldo, Isaac and Adrian really looked after us during out stay rating 5 stars for them alone! Sylvina at the help desk at the grand, lovely woman! Made sure everything was ok during the stay. And finally the entertainment staff the most amazing people at the resort Alejandro Alonso and Alfredo greated us every morning at the Olympic pool provided plenty of entertainment and made us laugh every day! I am defiantly returning to moon palace again 100%!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Danielle24l
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My wife and I went for a week to the Moon Palace ( sunrise ) for a wedding. I would get the bell persons for the first time going to your room because it is a big property. The food was very good and my wife has a wheat allergy and they were very professional about it. ( Tell the front desk when you check in). All the staff were good I just need to learn more spanish next time. We had a fantasktic time on the snorkel Extreme tour with a great guide ( Moisos ), I would really recommend it.

The only bad part was our Digital Camera was stolen from our room and two bottles of sunscreen. The hotel just said bad luck this never happens and we will do a security check (what ever that means), which they never explained. Lock your sunscreen because this is not the first time this has happened to me in Mexico.

Room Tip: I had a great room with some ocean view which is good to sleep and go out again. Just go outside t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was our second trip to the Moon Palace. Our decision to return was based on the service we received during our previous stay. We have traveled to Mexico on several different occasions and the Moon Palace staff is by far the friendlies, most attentive, we have encountered. Special thanks goes to Alex Moreno,Luis Gomez and Ivan Meza in the Sunrise lobby bar. They made sure our nightly outings were fun and entertaining. The grounds were well kept and the pools were beautiful. Food and rooms were more that acceptable. Will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Coppell, Texas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I just got back from a quick 2 night business trip yesterday in attending an annual event sponsored by one of my customer in Cancun.

When I first checked-in, I was dropped off at the Grand, which then I was told I should be @ the Sunset. They have 3 main buildings, and Sunset is the largest of the 3 with the ballrooms, meeting rooms, gym, and most restaurants. So after being shuttling around, I finally arrived at my room with the help of the bellman. At first, I thought it was a mistake as my room had double doors. Apparently, I got the ultimate upgrade to Presentantial suite that had the pool/ocean view. The place must have been about 1000 sq/ft, and it was impresssive to say the least with 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining room and living room, and hot tub.

So as my title goes, indeed I was impressed as it was a full 5 stars for me on the first day. Unfortunately, I got there a bit late and it was sunsetting around 5p at the time. I waited around and went to dinner @ 8p, which is when the sponsored dinner was to be held for this business event I'm attending.

Overall, the food was good. The next day, I had the Mexican buffett, which was fast and fresh. For dinner, once again, it was at one of the sponsored dinner event. In between food, I also went to the gym for about an hour and worked off some of the major calories I added on for this trip.

Sounds like everything went well, so why the 4 stars? Well, on my 2nd day, I took a cold shower, which was not pleasant as I didn't have hot water available. I didn't have time to call for repair as I was running late already for the breakfast seminar that was to begin. When I got back to the room after lunch, the hot water was taken care off. The other thing which is more of a disappointment was the location of the resort as the beach itself was very small and sort of dirty with wooden chips and seaweeds and such. It was brown in color as its no where near where the aqua blue color of the beaches in the so called "hotel zone". This is my 2nd time to the area and I now know that all beaches here with the exception of the ones on the "hotel zone" strip, they are no better than the beaches here in TX. I guess I should have known looking through their website, which didn't have any close up pictures of their beach. So for the lack of nice beach and cold shower, I feel it's closer to 4 stars than 5. Bottom line is that I really appreciated the upgrade to the suite, but the lack of nice beach really bummed me out given this was a 3 hour flight from DFW, and this is what I get?

Room Tip: Try asking for upgrade, and try for sunset, or you'll need to be shuttle back and forth if you w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I went for a week at the end of October and had a fabulous time. I'm pregnant so unfortuantely couldn't make the most of the all inclusive, but they were very good at providing me with alcohol free varieties (would recommend frozen lemonaid to cool down by the pool!).

All the staff were absolutely excellent and catered for our every whim. In particular the service around the pool was very efficient and the girl regularly checked how we were with drinks and even brought us icecream when we asked for it - nothing was too much trouble!

The food at the restaurants was all good - not 5 start standards, but the best I've ever had in an all inclusive resort. There is also a huge amount of variety. We stayed for 6 nights and could easily have stayed for an extra week without getting bored of the food (again, not something you can usually say about all inclusive places!).

Our room was nice and spacious with it's own spa bath which we both enjoyed. The high standards were evident by all the extra touches the hotel includes to make the stay special including making the mini bar and room service part of the all inclusive and ensuring that the drinks in the mini-bar are refreshed every day.

For our stay we also received $1500 of resort credit which was a nice touch. My husband used it to place some golf and we both used the spa. He really enjoyed the golf (including seeing an aligator on the course!!) and the spa treatments were wonderfully relaxing. The spa itself is also nice for taking some time out in before treatments.

The only areas for improvement I could see would be the way in which the resort credits were managed and the sound proofing of the rooms. The booking process seemed to take forever and wasn't very efficient. In this day and age I would have preferred you also to have had the option of an easy to use self service system where you could see availability and book for yourself rather than have to run through day by day with an agent checking availability for you.

There was a Tupperware convention on whilst we were there and unforunately we were waken up on multiple occaisions late at night and early morning by these ladies talking in the corridors. I would warn the the hotel has a lot of conventions in October, so not the most romantic break if that is what you are looking for, but they do offer a free shuttle service to the other Palace resorts which are quieter. Despite being nearly completely full there was still plenty of room around the pool and in the restaurants which is what was important to us.

Room Tip: Try to stay near the main building (think the rooms are called Sunrise) as it's a big resort and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We have just spent a wonderful 7 nights at the moon palace in Cancun. We could not fault any part of our trip from the 5 star rooms which have a jacuzzi bath and even Ghd hair straighteners to the hotel food and facilities. However the thing that made it exceptional was the staff. They were happy, friendly and couldn't do enough to please without exception. Their genuinely cheerful dispositions added to the relaxed holiday atmosphere. The wide choice of excellent food including 24 hour room service was fantastic although it hasn't done much for my waist line! Our room as most of them do had a wonderful view of the Caribbean Sea and we were able to enjoy walking the promenade or take the frequent transport to the main facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!