“Very Good”

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Firstly I would like to stress that I had read a lot of reviews on here which were giving a "not so good" feel to this resort, and I must admit I was becoming worried as to weather we had made the right choice when considering how much we paid from the uk.

Well I certainly think we made the best decision - this place is brilliant, I agree the beech is not the best but only for the seaweed at the water - if you are just sitting enjoying the sun on the beech then whats the problem?

Seriously though this place was exceptional interms of food and service, the food choices were exceptional, the drinks were always coming and the staff were FANTASTIC!!!

The report is spotlessly clean and there are staff everywhere always cleaning and servicing your needs. I have never experienced such good service, the hotel management should be very proud of their teams, I know I would be if I had staff such as these guys.

Would I go back again - ABSOLUTELY........ Would I pay as much as we did via Virgin Holidays for 2 weeks all inclusive - Not sure, but it was extremely good.

The resort credit is good idea, this admittedly does sway your thoughts at the time of the booking as it did with us, though Im sure they could open this up to be used on other things other than golf, spa, wine and the odd trip out - I think they could open this up further which would ensure people came back and back over and again.

Restaurants: Best = Mono (Asian) - We went 3 times in two weeks!! VERY GOOD....
Steak - Without a doubt Baracuda at the Sunrise section - VERY GOOD....
Bar - Outdoor bar at Sunrise section - They need one of these at Nuzic also!!

Room Tip: Do tip - The more you tip the better the service, We gave a 20 dollar tip one night and were never l...
5  Thank Richard W
YENNIACALVILLO, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Richard W,

We’re honored to have inspired you to have posted your review on Trip Advisor. I hope it’s one of many positive experiences you have share with your fellow travelers about Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort

In reference the Beach area we would like to inform you that resort has contracted maintenance workers that are continuously cleaning our beach areas with a surf rake sand sifter. This machine is effective in removing beach pollution such as seaweed. It is worth mentioning that during certain times of the year the ocean seems to produce a larger quantity of residue than normal. We are sorry to hear that an uncontrollable event such as this one occurred during their travel dates

We thank you very much for choosing to stay with us, and I truly hope that you will return for another fantastic experience.

MOON PALACE GOLF & SPA RESORT

Write a ReviewReviews (23,080)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was my family's second trip to Moon Palace. Our previous experience was stellar. We had stayed in Sunrise, where it was easy to get to many kid-friendly activities. We were surprised to find ourselves in Nizuc this time, which involved more walking, in the hot sun, to get to Sunrise, or waiting for intermittent shuttles. Normally not a bad thing -- it's a pretty walk and a great way to work off all that buffet food -- but with a six year old it could be a challenge at times.

I was surprised by all the construction going on at Nizuc, right around us. At one point in the lobby, I happened to look up and workers were lifting an enormous mirror directly above me, attempting to hang it, and they put it down several times as if they didn't have a secure hold on it. I quickly moved my child away -- I could easily imagine that thing dropping over the balcony and hurting people. The lobby was filled with paint fumes and floating bits of plaster and/or marble, as workers dug up floor pieces, painted and plastered pillars, etc. We were often walking around construction projects and heavy equipment as we made our way to and from meals. There is a peculiar building we had to pass between our room and the Nizuc lobby every day for meals, which seemed to be some kind of waste treatment center and smelled strongly of sewage. Most of our time was spent at the pool or beach so these were avoidable issues for the most part, but the lobby, and going to meals, was a generally unpleasant experience at Nizuc, despite the nice service in the main restaurant.

The room was fine - we got a family suite, so two connected rooms, worked well for us. My husband found it tired; I thought it was just fine and enjoyed the view. I didn't get a good night's sleep, though - this place is noisy, which I also remember from my experience last time even at Sunrise. Lots of partying people roaming the corridors at all hours -- even in a family area. You can hear people in other rooms. Lots of mechanical noises, an animal or something outside, and twice I awoke and smelled paint fumes or something chemical.

The staff is so nice. Everyone very friendly. Check in and check out are big hassles, but once you are there, you feel well cared for.

Beach not swimmable -- that's fine -- but I was surprised to read a review here written by someone else who stayed here this same week -- I didn't know the red flag also indicated jellyfish and stingrays near the shore! Considering we did go wading in the water, that would have been nice to know!! I thought it was just about waves/undertow. Yikes.

We did a combo trip to Tulum and Xel-ha, arranged through BD Travel. (BD Travel is great). Lovely excursion, though the return on the bus took twice as long because of all the hotel drop offs. We had a great guide at Tulum as part of the package. Xel-ha is totally amazing, wish we had more time there. We did Xcaret last year and enjoyed that too.

Finally, a great perk of this place is that you can visit other Palace resorts in the area. We spent a day in downtown Cancun and hung out at the Beach Palace there. You can eat at their buffet, use their facilities, just by flashing your Palace wristband. It's a different vibe over there, gorgeous beach (though rough water - can't swim - we saw someone get rescued by two lifeguards!) and nice pool scene.

I think this is a nice resort for families but the experience was uneven. We've had two years of nice memories at Moon Palace, and I'd consider returning someday, but might look at other options first. It is a lot of money to spend for an experience that is so uneven. Reading these reviews will help you make an informed decision. And if you are traveling with a family, stay at Sunrise, not Nizuc.

Room Tip: Sunrise is best for families with small kids - there is a kids' pool there, and there are more a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DianaC435
Rosaura Y, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

We thank you for your candid review, and we're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit this time around. We'd like to clarify that we're putting the final touches on the recent enhancements made at the Nizuc section of the resort, and that these enhancements will not impact the overall guest experience.
We hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to provide you with the nice memories you were originally expecting.

Respectfully,
ROSAURA YAÑEZ

Reviewed 23 February 2014

OK, it's the 4th time and we all still had a great time!This resort is just hard to beat. Restaurants, pools, golf, spa, entertainment....they have it all! A great Dolphin Swim that everyone can enjoy. And this trip had a bonus - CHICAGO - live and in concert! The all new arts center attached to the convention center is almost complete but served the concert well. A sweetheart dinner and concert included in the stay. Now that the space is finished there will be more and more shows. Most of the restaurants have been renovated as well as lobby's and lounges and they look great.
The Golf Course was in great shape and the spa is first class. As usual the staff were terrific and went out of their way to make your stay exceptional. But remember, if you are miserable don't expect them to be your servant! They work hard and the tradition in Mexico is tipping - a couple of dollars go along way to show them you appreciate their service and deserve the answer, 'My pleasure'.
Let's hit a couple of areas that need a little improvement - rooms at Nizuc are not all renovated and are showing the wear. They are still nice but not the at the standard of the new or renovated rooms. You can hear all about the new things at the resort, what you can do in the area and what plans are available if you want to join the vacation plans they have - but ease up on the hard sell and the attitude when you say no. The seaweed was not as big a problem as usual but still along the beach area. With as many pools as they have and all the activities it compensates for the seaweed.
I have taken many couples with us and sent others and they all love the resort. Family friendly.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a special quality or view. Ask for a new or renovated room.
3  Thank Lee P
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all points of view and we are pleased that you noticed our improvements since your last stay at Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort. We hope to keep surprising you for many years.

We are ready with more services, please come and enjoy them during your next visit, THE 5TH!

Norma Granados
Public Relations Manager @ Nizuc

Our Moon Palace vacation 2013,
This has been our family's fourth time in Mexico and 1st time at the moon palace and I must say that: we had nothing but excellent service from the staff of the Moon Palace Resort .
There are so many reviews about the Moon Palace that I think I am not going to write a lot.
As soon as we landed at the Cancun airport we were greeted by Jesus from Lomas Travel, he was happy to see us. I had great feelings from the start, it will be our best vacation...and it was.
There are actually three different resorts Sunrise, Nizuc and Grand here and all of them have their own personality. We liked that a lot. I do not get people when they complain about the distance they have to walk between the different parts of the resort. Just simply get up and walk I know in America (USA) people walk very seldom :(((. Believe me walking is good for you.
The checkin was easy, Karen Jimenez from Guest service helped us to arrange everything what we wanted. She was very nice and very helpful, by the way I had my glass of champagne (sparkling wine) in my hand already :)) How we got into our room I do not remember but who cares, my view from the room was fantastic. We got ourself oceanfront room. Credit goes to Karen.
----------------------------------------
I remember following MP staff members and I would like to recognize them for a great job they have done :
Pool Bar and around -Simon and Cesar
Sushi Momo place -Filiberto very nice
Luggage 1st help at Nizuc- Oscar
Grand- breakfast table -Marco doing acrobatic things with eggs for my breakfast
Coffee bar at Nizuc - Rosa- very happy lady - excellent evening paninis if you think you will not gain some weight think again- they were excellent.
Restaurante by Flo rider -Elizabeth- very pro, speaking Spanish to our son
Grand Moon Caribena- Francisco great service and Xavier
Financial Manager -Miquel Pinet - he knows how to sell if you decide to buy MP membership bargain hard,do your homework. We got our membership and will see this year how different if any will be traveling as members of MP family.
-------------------------------
What can I say I love all food in the Moon Palace, is this mexican, japanese, italian I do not care as long I stay away from american fast food at the resort I am in heaven. The variety of food ,drinks is phenomenal if anybody tells you they did not like food, don’t believe them. They simply have no idea what food is about.
There is so much to do at the resort you will not be bored. Having 3 resorts together help to be entertain 24/7. 20 restaurants and bars, night club and more and more.
There are going to be some glitches but if you will talk to MP they will take care of them quickly.
I also believe if you will treat all MP staff members with respect by the way they work very hard to make your vacation best ever, they will treat you the same way.
...in 3 weeks we will be back as MP members to enjoy our vacation at MP again :))))
Thank you Moon Palace for all what you did for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christopher J

Dear Krzysztof,

Thank you for such a detailed review.

You may rest assured that the staff that has provided you with an excellent service will get recognition

Thanks again for the positive words, and the whole team here looks forward to welcoming you back.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Only disappointing thing about this resort was the beach. Water is full of seaweed not very good for swimming, Other than that, resort is fantastic staff very helpful, food and beverages were great as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank joe h
YENNIACALVILLO, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Joe

Thank you for your comments in regards our services and facilities, we really appreciate your description about our resort being fantastic

In reference to the beach area the resort has contracted maintenance workers that are continuously cleaning with a surf rake sand sifter. It is worth mentioning that during certain times of the year the ocean seems to produce a larger quantity of residue than normal. We are sorry to hear that an uncontrollable event such as this one occurred during your travel dates

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future

MOON PALACE SUNRISE

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enjoyed our stay, would be great for families with children. Too many people for me. Fortunately we had the black bracelets which allowed some private areas on the beach. The wait staff at the entire resort is one of the best. Miriam Fernandez was a delightful server at the beach who catered to us and kept us laughing. I do wish that they would put hand sanitizers by the restaurants due to all the buffet lines. We all came home with a mild bug.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harriet K

Dear Harriet K

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience; you may rest assured that I will pass your compliments to Miriam Fernandez-

We are really proud of our services and facilities!
We will take in consideration your suggestion in regards the hand sanitizers

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Always a great experience. Great food, wonderful sky bar, beautiful grounds. The staff is so friendly and helpful that we never seem to bring enough tip money even though you don't have to tip! Only downside is slow pace of play on the golf course. As VIP founding members, we golf every day, but some days it is Torture. Stay away from the kitchen tour. Extra kudos to our good friend Iris at the Sky Bar. Nikki did a great job on the kitchen tour, but the tour itself is not worth seeing . Malena the best for a citrus massage. VIP lounge and beach area is great. Either way, we go every year since 1999.

Room Tip: Make sure to get ocean view and if you don't like to walk stay at Nizuc to be in the middle of e...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
wbarbieri, Director General at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Mrs. Karen, thank you very much indeed for your wonderful review. We will check the kitchen tour logistic and we will share your feed back with our Golf Director, Fernando Sandoval.
You may rest assured that the staff mentioned will get recognition of the great job they did.
Our members are the main reason of our success.
Best Regards

Walter Barbieri
Director de Operaciones Moon Palace
Director Operation Moon Palace
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
Carr. Fed. 307 Cancun-Chetúmal, Km 340.
Cancún, Quintana Roo, C.P. 77500