I worry when I read some of the negative reviews posted - I wonder if these people have been to the same resort that we experienced!! This was our first visit to Mexico and our first experience of 'all inclusive' and we weren't disappointed on either count. I am not going to go into great details but here are some bullet points:
* The resort is large but we liked that because there wasn't the feeling of being in one place all the time and with the huge choice of restaurants and pools every day could be different
* Although transportation is available around the resort and between lobbys we found it unnecessary and walked everywhere - the walk along the beach path takes you to all the places you want to get to and is well lit at night. Keep your eyes open for the wildlife - it isn't unusual for an iguana to cross your path!!
* Sunrise is more family orientated; Nizuc is slightly smaller but just beautiful and Grand is much smaller with less amenities but the best buffet restaurant for breakfast overlooking the pool.
* The whole resort is beautiful and well cared for.
* The staff are wonderful and always have a smile and a welcome - we lost count of the number of times we said "Hola" as we walked around the resort. If they do anything for you the general response to a thank you is "it's my pleasure" and it really felt that it was. Take plenty of one dollar bills to use for tipping, although if you run out and only have larger bills the bell boys are always willing to change them for you into smaller bills. Tips are not expected but obviously appreciated.
* The food is excellent, from the pool side bar-b-que to the fine dining and everything in-between, and when we were there between 15 and 24 May there was no problem in getting into any of the restaurants and none of them felt crowded.
* Be aware that the courtesy transport to the Beach Palace Hotel in Cancun only goes twice a day at 12 noon and 2.00 pm and if you go at noon you have to return at 4.00 pm and if you go at 2.00 pm you have to return at 6.00 pm. There was no option to go at noon and return at 6.00 pm. Having said that, although we're glad we went to look at Beach Palace we were glad to get back to Moon Palace. It is worth the visit to see the beach and the sea which is much nicer than at Moon Palace and the sea is the beautiful turquoise that you associate with the Caribbean, but all the hotels go directly onto the beach so there is no promenade to walk on and the road at the rear of the hotel is a dual carriageway and very busy so not pleasant for walking. If you do visit Beach Palace then head up to the Sky Bar on the roof which has panoramic views of Cancun, a pool and the happiest bar tender in Cancun. We were very pleased that we hadn't booked to stay at Beach Palace.
* The beach at Moon Palace does have seaweed on it but a tractor runs along every morning to clear the bulk of it and it wasn't half as bad as I expected from reviews I read before we went. The sea isn't particularly inviting but with so many pools to choose from we didn't miss going in the sea at all.
* There is some refurbishment taking place and some rooms are closed, but the work did not impact on our holiday at all and is very discreet
* We did go to the "resort presentation" but it was OK and there was no hard sell at the end - and it did only take the 90 minutes they said it would (it was cloudy that morning so perhaps that's why we didn't mind it so much!!). We've had much worse experiences at other timeshare presentations in Europe!!
* The outdoor paths and marble floors in the lobbys can be very slippery when wet so take care if it rains.
* We didn't spend all our credits but were pleased with what we did with them - spa treatments; golf for my husband; dolphin experience; trip to Chichen Itza. Yes you have to pay the tax but it still works out cheaper than paying full for everything and at the end of the day you don't actually lose anything if you don't spend the credits - it's like virtual money!!! On check-out we were given a credit card style card with the balance of credits on, which are valid for 12 months.
* The trip to Chichen Itza was good but it was a long day and it would be better if they didn't do the stop at the 'market' where the traders try their best to part you from your money and a very mediocre lunch is served. We left the hotel at 9.30 am and didn't get to Chichen Itza until 2.00 pm. We didn't realise how far it was (140 miles) and perhaps would have thought twice about it if we had known. We didn't get back until 7.30 pm.
* Xcarat is well worth the trip but does not qualify for credits.
* The golf and spa experiences were both wonderful and are recommended.
* The evening entertainment was not as high standard as we expected, although a couple of the shows we caught were quite good and it is quite easy to dip in and out of the shows. It's quite nice to sit in the lobby bar and 'people watch'
* Be prepared for a conveyor belt of weddings and corporate events - although they did not impact on our holiday and there is always something interesting happening
All in all our visit to Moon Palace was a wonderful experience and we would certainly recommend it and hope to visit again in the not too distant future when we want a relaxing 'chill out' holiday
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Cancun's tranquil south shore, this resort offers more than 2,000 accommodations, each with double whirlpool tubs, 24-hour room service and balconies. The state-of-the-art Awe Spa and Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course, located by the Golf Club House, offer a perfect getaway for guest. This all-inclusive resort has something for everyone, including a kid's club, nightclub, 14 restaurants, bars and water sports. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Ebookers, TravelUp, Travelbag, Odigeo, Southall Travel, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Moon Palace Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moon Palace Hotel
- Moon Palace Cancun Mexico
- Cancun Moon Palace Resort
- Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
- Moon Palace Mexico