“Chichen Itza road tour - the experience of a lifetime!”

Exotic Rides Mexico
Ranked #83 of 340 Tours in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't have to be a rock star or celebrity to experience the mind-blowing performance of the world's most amazing and luxury super cars. At Exotic Rides in Cancun Mexico, everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the thrill of racing exotic cars on a Private Race Track or feel the astonishing acceleration on a Road Tour of the breath-taking Yucatan Peninsula. Spice up your vacation and experience one of the most exciting attractions in Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Cancun. Choose from any of our Luxury Sport SuperCars from: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes Benz SLS AMG Gullwing, Audi R8, Lotus Elise and others exotics.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The day of my Chichen Itza road tour is possibly the best day of my entire life so far!
We left the Exotic Rides facility in the morning with me driving their Ferrari 458 Italia by myself, following my host and private cameraman in their Porsche 911 Carrera S. We did the speed limit along the main highway between Cancun and Puerto Morelos, but, as soon as we turned onto the highway to Chichen Itza, our speed was NEVER LESS THAN 200km/hr (except to go through toll booths and a construction site)!!! This isn't the kind of tour where you just go out on public roads and baby a Ferrari around town; we put that serious machine to serious use! It truly is a unique experience, as I don't know where else you'd get away with ripping along a public highway at that speed for that long without ending up in jail.
As we neared the Chichen Itza, they took me through a small Mayan town called Pisté. By then I was comfortable enough with the car to take it out of auto-mode. Why would I roll through town in 7th gear when I could hold it in 1st instead and make some beautiful Ferrari V8 music. The locals in Mexico are not used to seeing cars of this caliber, so I got the full rock-star treatment - everyone stopping and staring, kids following me on scooters, etc. The story was the same once we arrived at the Chichen Itza and pulled into the spots that were reserved for us, right at the front of the lot. A crowd of Mexicans quickly gathered, staring and taking pictures while my hosts hired a private tour guide for me.
The tour of the Chichen Itza itself was fascinating. I still felt like a rock-star the whole time since I had my guide's undivided attention, and my host and cameraman were always hovering nearby, snapping photos of me.
After the souvenir vendors had successfully extracted every scrap of cash from me (I bought a lot of souvenirs), my hosts payed for lunch at the swanky Mayan fusion restaurant there. We had a very pleasant conversation while enjoying the delicious food.
After finishing lunch, it was time to head back to Cancun. As I walked down the steps towards the Ferrari, with the key in my hand, I imagine that anyone who was watching would have been thinking that I was just another gringo going to ogle the car. Once I produced the key and popped the trunk (hood, boot, or whatever you want to call the storage space at the front of the car), I imagine that anyone who had been paying attention must have thought "there he is! That's the guy!"
We then retraced our route through Pisté, being sure to make plenty of noise and attract plenty of attention. The trip back was similar to the trip there, with an average speed of 200km/hr. It felt so good to roar past the tourist buses, which looked like they were standing still at 90km/hr.

Once again it was an amazing day overall. The price was intimidating at first, but I assure you it was well worth the money, and I would do it again in a heartbeat without hesitation.

After such a glowing couple of paragraphs, you might be wondering why I rated it 4/5 or "good." I have only a couple very minor complaints, but they are certainly areas that could be improved:
First, I was slightly miffed that they wanted an additional US$100 for the video of the trip, plus another US$350 if I wanted their photographer for the day. I payed it, and it was well worth it, but I had half expected that kind of thing to be included when you shell out US$2700 for their premium tour package.
Second, the video footage is good, and the audio is excellent, but my GoPro Hero 3+ takes way better video. Again, this is an extremely minor point.
Third and finally, and this is my biggest complaint: I only received video for the second half of the trip (the drive back from Chichen to Cancun). This is despite repeatedly (at least 3 times) confirming that I would get video of the ENTIRE driving time, that is to say BOTH the way there AND the way back. It isn't even about money because I would still be disappointed if they had offered to refund half of the US$100 that they had charged me for the video. Honestly, if given the choice between only having the video of the way back or of the way there, I would have chosen the way there, since it shows both the top speed of the trip (275km/hr) and my hosts bribing the police with cans of Coca-Cola (which I found absolutely hilarious).
To make matters worse, they have ignored the multiple attempts that I have made to contact them about it. Privately, I believe that they may have forgotten to turn on the video recorder for the trip there. If someone from Exotic Rides would simply acknowledge that this was the case, and apologize, then I would have closure on the issue. I would still be slightly disappointed, but by ignoring me, the issue has become much larger than it needed to, to the point where almost half of this review is focused on it.

To summarize, the missing video debacle leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but, all things considered, it was a truly amazing, once in a lifetime experience. The only way to see the Chichen Itza, in my opinion.

6  Thank 367evanr

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is only worth a try if you are a petrol head with plenty of cash and time to spare

Try the Lotus elise or the Audi R8 or the go kart at night. Anything else is way overpriced.

The track itself is the bare minimum you would expect. This is a make do place rather than a proper circuit. You need to be an experienced driver or run the risk of an accident.

I tried the R8 and had fun. However it lacked power and was not allowed to use the paddle shift.

During my first lap had an encounter with an employee riding a go kart in the opposite direction on turn two : NO apology from the instructor and no attempt to offer an extra lap to compensate having ruined my time.

Go karts are offered at night using a portion of the same track. Carts are ok but of uneven quality. Large portions of the track have lights off at night either because they want to save money on electricity or because lights are broken.

Nasty incident whereby the go kart guy ganged up with some nasty customers to by pass our pre booked driving time. Offered two extra laps as compensation but then another guy came in during our drive and did not honour the extra laps.

3  Thank JM-23-18
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

OVER PRICED & UNDELIVERED i.e. $40 USD for pick up (5mins down the road), no photos allowed, if they catch you using your camera it's a $30 USD fine, Santiago the photographer is rude and only wants to take your money for his photos, he gives no direction on how to take a great photo and only takes 3 photos, packages start from $69, the track is so short you can't experience the cars for what they are and if you knock over a cone on the track it's a $200 USD fine. This place is only interested in your taking your money and not worried about you enjoying the whole experience for what it could be!

8  Thank Jesus A
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We visited Exotic Rides Mexico after reading a lot of the reviews here online. As others had mentioned, the price is a bit high but we coughed up $500 to do 5 laps in a R8 (myself) and 5 laps in a Lotus (the gf). As some others had mentioned, the track is a complete joke and takes less than a minute to get around with nothing challenging about it. The cars are also worn out and the throttle response is not that great.

That aside, we were completely scammed by the staff. After we both did our laps we were asked if we wanted to do the drifting in the Camaro SS. Wary of the high cost, we repeatedly asked how much it was going to be. The lady pointed to two prices: one for $230 and one for $30. When we had asked which price we pay, she constantly said that it would be $30 per person for a total of $60. We asked her 3 times to confirm that it would be only $60 and not $230 + $30 and she said yes (assuming because we already did the laps they were discounting it). When we went to pay the total comes out to $260! They gave us some total bs reasoning and refused to lower the price.

On top of that, these guys are charging $30 a picture and $80 a video which is completely absurd.

I feel most of the reviewers here are either fake or are folks who may just want to have an easy drive in the car rather than a real track experience.

Either way, AVOID this place and use your money to do some of the other excellent activities in Cancun!

16  Thank Jubair A