“A gem in downtown Cancun!”

LQ Hotel by La Quinta Cancun
Ranked #53 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked this trip to Cancun solo which scared my coworkers, who in turn scared me! Suddenly I worried about booking a hotel that wasn't located on the beach & the possibility that I would get "taken" because I was alone. Looking back that was crazy!

This hotel is outstanding for a 2 star. You should know that I am a hotel snob, but when I saw all the pics & positive reviews I thought why not? Once my nerves caught up to me I FB messaged the hotel w/questions. I was quickly put at ease by Alberto! He went above and beyond answering all of my silly questions & making me feel comfortable & excited again!

The hotel was immaculately clean! The rooms are nice similar to expensive hotel chains I've stayed at like Hilton or even Westin. The beds and pillows are super comfy! I stayed on the upper floor & had a cool view of the city. The bathroom is also nice and cool modern shower. There's also a fridge in the room if you want to buy drinks to bring back. Although I didn't use the pool, I did read by it in the evening hrs & that was really peaceful w/the sound of the back waterfall. They have a small gym w/newer cardio equipment & weights..every time I went in it was clean & tidy.

The free breakfast was great. The selection changed but I always saw scrambled eggs, an assortment of cereals, juices, different breads, coffee & the hot ticket item..the waffle maker! I did make one on my 2nd day & it was perfect. There's also a restaurant out front that I used for some dinner. It wasn't the best I ever had but it was super cheap..ridiculously cheap! I didn't change my money because they let me use dollars everywhere or credit card, but if you need to the hotel can. They also have rental car options.

Although not on the beach, they have a shuttle that you can book to drop you off for free. Taking the bus back is easy, safe, & only $1. There's also a beach club that if you show your room card they let you in for 300 pesos & that money goes toward food/drink. (Yummy sushi)

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank kellyann7

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had just spent two separate weeks at all-inclusive in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen we thought to try a third week in a regular hotel where we could get our own meals. The noise in all-inclusives is close to unbearable for some of us. La Quinta is in downtown Cancun, close to a multitude of of buses, shopping centers, and restaurants. A 15 minute bus ride to Zona Hotera. The best beach is close to Coco Bongo. The rooms were very clean but we struggled with housekeeping to keep up supplies of towels and tissue.
A couple GREAT features of La Quinta in Cancun were the included in room breakfast and the mini-bus service to anywhere in Cancun except the airport. The mini bus service will take you to your destination, with a reservation, but will not pick you up.

Room Tip: Rooms 428 and 528 have balconies in standard rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank geo4te
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The rooms were beautiful and the bed comfortable. We did change our room just before going to sleep because there was a very bad humming noise in our first room, but after the change it was just perfect. I very quiet room and good sleep quality. The location was good if you would like to stay in the central part of the city. There is a truly excellent sushi restaurant just next door and a very good shopping center just two blocks away. The staff was very nice and helpful, but when I asked to mark the hotel location on the map of Cancun i had, then it afterwards turned out that the girl marked the hotel on a totally wrong place. Luckily we figured out that it was a mistake and did not get lost. The breakfast was great comparing to the other hotels in mexico.

Room Tip: The room nr 317 was very noisy, don't go to that one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, shortly after Christmas, while waiting to check into a condo. Hotel is clean, service is very good, breakfast is excellent. We had a problem the first night with air conditioning going out, but management moved us the second night and did their best to make it right. The hotel management was definitely wanting to provide excellent service and to make amends, of which my wife and I were very appreciative. Would definitely stay here again, in fact already made reservations!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Downtown location with good transport links. Large and very comfortable rooms with high quality bedding. Good wireless internet. A good breakfast. Allowed early check in. Pleasant front desk. Quiet and effective AC. Good showers. Would definitely stay again. Hard to choose between here and the Ambiance Suites across the road for best in this location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed two nights in this hotel. The staff is friendly even if there is a problem with the reservation like I had. Parking is for free in the garage. The rooms are very large (room 122), new and clean. I had two very big beds.
The only drawback is the "american" breakfast. The coffee is very bad. The rest is ok and fresh (toast, scrambled eggs, fruits,..) But nothing very good.
With better coffee I would give 5 Stars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

If your on business or leisure, it is a good hotel. Well located, not on the beach, but quite, easy to get to and well located to move around the places you need to meet people at. Used to have pet friendly, no longer, big disappointment. The hotel is very clean, a little noisy at times, for the insulation is not that great and the doors have great slots of space at the bottom which allows for a lot of infiltration of noise. The hall ways could use some carpet or other material to reduce the noise level. Breakfast is great and the bar is very simple but good. Great restaurants near by, not fancy but clean and very well priced. Beds are hard, shower is great, water is hot, air conditioning works like a charm, and service is very good. Cannot compliant for the price paid.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevators, to reduce the noise from them and the people walking to their rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business