Eco-Hotel El Rey Del Caribe
US$449
galahotels.com
US$488
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdowntown cancunado bus stationhotel zonesmall poolbreakfast was includedlarge supermarketthe breakfast areafew minutes walkzona hotelerano elevatorstayed for nightsair conditionerrooms are largeroom keymayan rivierathird floorkitchenette
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2013

if you are looking for a place to stash away your stuff while you spend most of your day outdoors, this may be worth the low price. however, the experience is rather underwhelming. first the pros: the breakfast ladies were hardworking and the breakfast was good. there is some 'interesting' eco-friendliness (e.g. a signboard says that your poop is composted and used as manure for the plants around. fine by me, although i can see how some people may find that gross.). lastly, it is close to the ADO bus terminal, so getting to and from it is convenient.
but too many little things (and a few big things) made the stay less than special for me. for starters, there is hardly anybody in the staff who speaks english, so other than just the basic room cleaning, not much should be expected. on one of the days, towels were not replenished even if they were placed in the 'to-wash' basket. the hotel is green, but not very clean...a cockroach in the kitchen area (which by the way is not at all supplied), gave us some reason for exercise one night.
but the most annoying part to me was how the staff hooked us up with a tour agent (named official tourist center. how misleading!!!) to xcaret (without us even asking her for any suggestions!) worse still, the agent turned out to be rather shady. firstly, on our way to xcaret, oliver, an annoying 'tour guide' (pleaase! more like a conman trying to peddle overpriced cosmetics) tried to scare us about huge dangerous bugs in xcaret and how they would kick us out the moment they found any non-biodegradable sunscreen on us. both almost complete lies. we bought the biodegradable sunscreen, thinking that the regular sunscreen we had was banned. but when we got to xcaret, the lady at the entrance cordially offered to hold on to our regular sunscreen and offered us a free packet of biodegradable sunscreen for free! when we tried to return the unopened sunscreen we bought, the guys hemmed and hawed and refused to have any money. after much protestation on our part, and threatening to spread a bad word, they gave back half the price and took back the sunscreen. i guess the hotel only owns part of the responsibility for this, but it just leaves a terrible taste in the mouth.
so all in all, please avoid if possible. If you do decide to stay here to save a few bucks, do not get sucked into the tours they offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Gaurav S
reycaribe, Gerente at Eco-Hotel El Rey Del Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

We regret not having met your expectations, your comments are very helpful in pointing mistakes. Since your visit and immediately after your comments , we talked with our staff who contact you with someone that was not allow to do so, and was severely punished. We are having much more careful with the subject of towels and fumigation . On the other hand, we inform you that our staff speaks English now, so our English speaking guests will be best served.

Manager.

Eduardo Rodriguez

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I loved this hotel and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Cancun. I don't remember what month I was there (it was about 5 years ago) but I am very hot natured and did not become uncomfortable. I did not feel I was "roughing it" at all. I spoke Spanish with the staff who were excellent, very friendly and the breakfasts were wonderful. the only thing I didn't like was the lack of traffic lights; I felt in danger of being hit by a car on the streets. I understand the hotel has a cat and hope to see him/her next time.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is an elevator so stay on the ground if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sandrademexico
reycaribe, Propietario at Eco-Hotel El Rey Del Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for your comments and your visit. Our cat passed away , he was very old 17 years old, now we have another one black and very handsome. Cancun in growing in urban infrastructure, and many other streets have traffic light now, but still need more, I think with the time. Come and visit us again any time you want this is your home.
Araceli Dominguez

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The pros, the staff are lovely & the Mexican breakfast is the best I've had. Two lovely ladies cook for you & the breakfast area is beautiful with raised decking surrounded by trees. By day, the courtyard garden is beautiful, with lots of greenery. & water features, it really is a very pretty oasis as described by others.

The cons (for me) the level of "Eco" was too much. Not being able to leave aircon on whilst out in high temperatures was difficult for me. I wondered how Eco friendly it was needing to leave the water running for ages to get warm. That lovely oasis garden by night is home to a zillion Mosquitos & cockroaches. the pool also attracted bugs.

The room smelt very damp, although not all rooms might.

On top of all this, The list of house rule includes this gem, "Please Keep silent after 9:00pm.

We had booked 3 nights but cancelled the other two & booked into the hotel zone instead. I have to add the staff were lovely about this and didn't charge extra.

My parter & I are late 40s & like a level of comfort higher than this hotel offered, also we like to end our nights out with some wine outside so this place wasnt for us but Eco nuts & those on a budget might like it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marayd
reycaribe, Gerente at Eco-Hotel El Rey Del Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thanks you for your comments, we are sorry we did not fill your expectative. We appreciate specially your comments about the hot water and we already fix it. The rule of being quiet after 9 pm is because many people like to rest in silence, if we do not so nobody can rest, because as you see the space is small. We are happy you found another place where you feel better.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Arrived at 11:30 pm and left at 8 am so we weren't there long but it was nice enough. We had NO hot or even warm water and after being in Panama without hot water for 5 nights this was a huge disappointment. Although it is close to the bus terminal we took a cab because we had a lot of luggage and you have to cross several busy streets with no signal or crosswalk. Free breakfast was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Texan

I am sorry about the hot water, I just talk with the personal in charge to see what happen, we usually don’t have those things happen. To go to the bus station we have an special way to do it, where there are the crosswalk, we are sorry you did not get that information to make easier your ride to the bus station. We thanks a lot you comments and we hope we can see you soon again.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights! Very nice place in the heart of Cancun! Inside is like a forest.. Lots of plants. The service is great and the people are lovely! Also the cleaning of the room is perfect.. All about recycling and environement respect.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Hyppo06

Thank you very much for your comments , we appreciate them, we love nature, animals and plants , that’s why we try to reproduce a piece of forest in the garden instead of a traditional garden, this make people feel very quiet and peaceful, Nature is wonderful. We love to have guests like you that give us more reasons to continue doing our best. Next time you come we invite to take a massage , and relax with it.