“Over the top hotel.”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Location from airport: 30 minutes. Hotel staff: very pleasant. Room: excellent, with comfortable bed, and unlimited in-room drinks. Restaurants: Superb (choice/variety/service). Make reservations for some early such as Kulinarium. Avoid the Japanese one. Entertainment: every evening different concert at 9:30...and live band, excellent. Sports: plenty of choice. One of the best hotels that I stayed in years. I will be back for sure!!

Room Tip: Was very happy with my superior view room 1421.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sherif E
Write a ReviewReviews (5,333)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel is very accommodateing to all guest from young to old . Variety of food even if they don't have it they make it happen just ask the chef or any of the staff . They all accommodate any request . Relax worries free.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Alnajjar
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel, but this hotel does not accomdate any activities. The good was
Boring. If you do not book any a la carte, your only option is the buffet and an itilan restaurant, which serve the same menu every single day. The beach is very small and when it rains, there is absolutely nothing to do in the hotel. The sportbar has the worst snack and it looks like they forgot to renovate it.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at the RIU Palace Peninsula from Sept. 19-23rd. My wife and I went along with another couple. Going into this vacation I was pretty confident that this was a really good place after reading all the reviews. I will start off by saying the RIU Palace Peninsula did not disappoint.

Rooms: We each had the Jacuzzi balcony suite. All I can say is WOW! These rooms were extremely big, clean, and you can’t beat having your own Jacuzzi tub on the balcony. We were in room 807 and our friends were in room 707. We were on the far east side of the hotel, very close to the beach and we had a great view of the ocean, Cancun, and the bay behind the resort. We did not have great views of the pools, but we could see a bit of the pools. The other (2) spots they have these rooms you can have a better view of pools. Just like the pictures you had a stocked mini bar with water, pepsi, dos equis. Very nice shower that had a rain shower head along with the detachable shower head. I’d highly recommend splurging a bit and getting the rooms with the Jacuzzi balcony!

Food: Each morning we ate breakfast at the buffet. We really impressed with it. Large selection of fresh cut fruit, omelet station, eggs/bacon/sausage, muffins, pancakes, cereals, juice station, and more. Overall breakfast buffet was really good with many choices.
We did eat lunch in the buffet on the 1st day. That was the only meal that was average to below average. It was the day we arrived and it could have been that the food was out for a bit since we ate @ 3pm or so.

We ate dinner at multiple places. The dinner buffet was good with many selections. There were a lot of items and everyone in our group enjoyed the dinner buffet. The other 3 nights we rsvp at the gourmet restaurants. These were outstanding. The 2nd night we ate at the Steakhouse. We had large stoney crab claw legs, ribeye, fillet mignon, baked potatoes, red wine. This meal was great! The only bad thing, the ‘steakhouse’ didn’t have their own individual restaurant. They converted the outdoor seating area into the steakhouse for dinner. That being said we were dressed up and it was HOT and humid. Not a great combo when wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt. Even a short sleeve wouldn’t have done the trick. Great food, just wish we had A/C for this great meal. The 3rd night we ate at the Mexican restaurant. Overall good food with fajitas and tres leches. Waiter was really good and even took a shot of tequila with us. The last night we has rsvp at the Japanese restaurant, but didn’t really want to eat there. I read the restaurant called “Kulinarium” which is only for guest staying in the Villas was good. We were not staying in the Villas, but they said we could come back @ 9:00pm and if they had an open table we could have it. Well, @ 8:45pm a manager happened to walk up to us while we were at the bar just outside the restaurant. She overheard us talking about it and said hold on one minute. She came back and said “Enjoy” it’s my favorite restaurant. So a BIG thank you to the manager who didn’t have to do what she did to get us in. There were 5-6 tables open and she made it happen. I will say, this was the BEST meal… From the appetizers (Lobster soup) to the main entrees of Duck and then the Fillet Mignon topped with Foie Gras. Just a heads up, Kulinarium does require men to wear pants. I’m not 100% on the other restaurants. Overall the food in all places was good to very good, especially for an all-inclusive.
My recommendation – be sure to rsvp at each restaurant and do whatever you can to eat at “Kulinarium”

We were impressed with the beer and mixed drink selection too. Tecate, Dos Equis and a good combination of mixed drinks. The bartenders were very good, friendly and fast. We would tip $1.00 every other time to the bar and they kept the drinks flowing! Never had an empty drink.

We only left the hotel 1 time and that was to take the ferry across to “Isle of Majares” which cost $17 by ferry. We rented a golf cart for $40 and drove @ the island to a secluded beach. Our wives also went shopping on the mainland and we did go to Sr. Frogs.
Truly no reason to leave hotel. BUT if you want to parasail or do any activities, I’d recommend booking with someone right along the beach. Just 1 block away on the main strip there was a main tourist shop (I can’t think of the name) which had best prices.
The swim up bar was awesome. With the 7 pools you always had plenty of room and your own space. The beach was great, plenty of chairs. Disregard anyone who says it’s “rocky” or whatever they say. TRUST ME, you have more than enough beach. Also, saw lots of iguanas in the rocks, pretty cool.

Entertainment was decent in the evening time at the resort. My only downfall it was outside and it was very warm and when dressed up a bit it was too hot.

The ‘sports bar’ isn’t much of one. They did have (2) NFL games on CBS and FOX affiliates.
We decided to watch the Texans and ravens game in our room. We ordered room service and then ordered a 12 pack of Tecate. Within minutes we had 2 buckets of beer, TV volume cranked up, patio door open with the caribbean breeze blowing in, it was AWESOME!

Cab ride purchased at the airport was $60.00 from all the main vendors. We were able to snag a cab from hotel back to airport for $30.00.

OVERALL: I have traveled many places and done a few All-Inclusives. This truly blew away my expectations!!! I’d highly recommend and have already referred friends and family here. Definitely book with confidence!

Room Tip: Splurge and get the Jacuzzi Balcony Suite. Worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank H-TownTraveler07
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just came back from spending 7 days at this gorgeous hotel.
We were upgraded to room 849 and out balcony was SPECTACULAR. The staff were extremely gracious and welcoming including J, Manuel, Diego at the Lobby bar. We felt the need to tip as the service was always with a smile.
Sunwing representative Stephen suggested the Isla Mujeres excursion and i HIGHLY recommend it. Cancun Vista website has a great deal on an jet ski and ATV excursion for 87 bucks and it was the most fun i've ever had. They pick you up and take you 45 minutes away to Maroma beach.
The hotel beach that the pool bar/ buffet is facing was calm and warm and I could have frollicked and floated around all day.
All food from the buffet was fresh and there was such a diverse selection.
The a la carte restaurants were a real treat too.
I really rate this hotel a true 5 star and would recommend it to anyone. It's clean and new and the decor is contemporary.
The only thing lacking was a club at the hotel. The hotel didn't have much of a nightlife but we bused to where the main area was and it was great. Buses run 24 hours and cost only a dollar american.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheenam6
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here with a friend for a week in November, and after an 11 hour flight, it was well worth the wait! We had drinks at the check in desk, checking in was very efficient, and the staff were very helpful and friendly! We had a junior suite on the 15th floor with a sea view, which was an amazing view from so high up! We had clean towels everyday and they also provided pool/ beach towels which can be changed for clean ones at any time. As it is all inclusive, they have branded drinks and cocktails too, and at the pool, we didn't even have to leave the sun beds to get drinks as the waiters came over to serve us! The animation team were brilliant, even though I didnt take part in any activities, it was fun to watch, and they didn't pressure us into joining in anything if we didnt want to. We had a couple of rainy days, which they coped wiht well, as they provided board games, bingo matches and poker matches etc in the huge lobby so no one could be bored. we tried the Japanese Restaurant and the grill, and the food was amazing, even in the buffet restaurant the food was good, and my friend was obsessed with the free champagne and the chocolate fondue every night!

They also have a taxi stand outside, so we didn't worry about how to get to coco bongos in the evening. Getting a taxi wasn't a problem, and we didn't have to pre-book or anything.

I would definitely go back, this is one of my favourite hotels I've stayed in. The room was large and had lots of space, there is a separate shower if you don't want to use the bath tub in the middle of the room, and the bed was really comfortable!

Room Tip: The higher the better! amazing views from the higher floors! ask for a sea view room or high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bonster85
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very nice hotel. Hotel is faced north therefore you don't get much sun from an oceanview room. Buffet food is just a good as the restaurant food. Beach nice. Place is always clean. Staff very nice. Floors very slippery when wet. Nevery walk around this place barefoot as you will slip and fall. I slipped my first night after getting out of my jacuzzi on the balcony, bruised my foot and the entire left side of my body (that was before I started drinking). After that we used all the room towels to place on the floor. Would I go back, most likely not. I suppose I would choose a golf resort woth a course on sight. Room service menu very limited and not good. Seafood night Thursday at the buffet so be prepared if you're a seafood fan. I must have had 6-8 lobster tails.

Room Tip: Ocean view is good but no sun on your balcony. If you choose to layout on your balcony request a la...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple