“Beautiful property and fantastic service”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Addison, Texas
“Beautiful property and fantastic service”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Palace Peninsula and just loved this resort. From the time that we were dropped off, until we had to leave, we had a fantastic time.

Check in was very quick with no problems at all. During the check-in we were greeted with a welcome cocktail. We had booked a superior room, which turned out to be on the 17th floor. The room was fantastic. The view from the balcony was great and we spent a lot of time admiring the view. We had a view out to Isla Mujeres and down to old Cancun. The room was kept very clean. There are a lot of outlets throughout the room, so we were able to keep all of our devices charged up. Once connected online, we had a great signal. The shower in this room was a room itself. The only odd thing about the room was the placement of the Jacuzzi tub. It is just a few feet from the bed, in the middle of the room. I was sure that at some time I would wake up and fall in.

The pool area was beautiful. We had cool weather, so we did not get in the pool, but we spent a lot of time in our chairs at the pool. Service at the pool was great. Jorge made sure we always had what we needed. There are a lot of chairs by the pool and there are a lot of shade structures built so that you will not sizzle in the sun. If you are not near the structures, there are a lot of umbrellas around too. There was always a lot of activities going on around the pool to keep you entertained. The entertainment group was very good. We spent a lot of time at the Trinidad pool bar and all of the people working there were great. Thanks to Jose and Jesus (both of them) for a great time.

The beach near the hotel is very rocky. There are a lot of chairs out in this area, and you really could not swim there, but you could get in if you wanted. There was a bigger beach area between our resort and the RIU Caribe if you wanted to get in the ocean.

The food was great. We ate all of our breakfasts and dinners at the buffet. The choices were almost overwhelming. Almost everything we tried was great. For dinner we ate at the Los Olas buffet two nights. Food choices were good and you were able to find something. The only downside we had was the service. One night we got up to get dessert and when we came back our table was gone, not just someone else sitting there, they had moved the table for another group. They quickly got us set up so that we could finish our dinner.

We tried two of the specialty restaurants, Krystal and Tamales. It was easy to book the reservations, which we did right after we had checked in and had our room number. Food at Krystal was good. Maybe not as good as the Krystal we ate at when we went to RIU Tropical Bay in Jamaica, but very good. The Mexican food at Tamales was very good. You start with a buffet bar for your appetizer and then you pick your meal which is served to you.

One other place we tried for desserts and coffee was the Capuchino bar. This is in the lobby on the other side of the Lobby Bar. The Iced Coffees were delicious, as was the Cappuccino and desserts.

Drinks at all of the bars were made great. They are not served in small cups, so you do not need to bring your own insulated cups. They have a good selection of higher end liquors too.

Entertainment each night was also nice. The shows were all nice and if you need anything during the show there are a lot of people walking around to help you out. The magic show was fun. The best show might have been the beach party that they had on Saturday night. We did not know what to expect, but between the light shows, the music and the fire dancers we had a great time.

One thing that got our attention when we first got there was that people we met would tell us it was their 2nd or 3rd time to the resort. After spending time here we now know why, as we cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are from floor 10 and up. They offer 2 doors out to a balcony and fantastic view...
6 Thank Glennalan4458

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,394)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Missouri
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Check In: We checked into the resort on Wednesday January 15th around 10 or 11 a.m. Even though check in says 3 p.m. they had a room ready for us! Upon check in they asked if we were celebrating anything special - we let them know we were there celebrating our 8th anniversary (which was in December) and they said they'd upgrade us to a room on the 15th floor (instead of a room on floor 1-10 which was what our package was for). We were given drinks while we were checking in. Very easy, fast, great check in!

Room: Our room was large and the balcony was very spacious! The view from the room was beautiful! The shower pressure was great and there are two shower head options, the shower was large. The toilet is in a seperate little room that could be small for some people, but didn't bother me. The bath towels were HUGE which we loved! The bathtub does sit out in the room. The first night I tried filling it up, the water barely came out and it didn't hold the water. I didn't mess with it a lot, and never tried it again since I'd read reviews about them not working - wasn't a make or break deal. I MIGHT have used it if I knew it worked, but I might not of too.....Fridge was stocked with soda and water daily, and there was liquor choices above the fridge too. There was a coffee pot in the room (which I never used since there was a cappucino bar downstairs).I thought the bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows. You might want to note that the air conditioner does not work if you have your balcony door open. The music from the theatre was very loud at night, but it only lasted until around 11 p.m., with the balcony door shut you can hear it, but it wasn't so loud I couldn't sleep.

Pools - The pools were all beautiful, but we didn't get in them so I don't really have anything to add. The swim up bar was always very full and if you're there to mingle and drink it looked like a fun time!

Beach - The beach is small, but beautiful. We didn't swim in the ocean (it was very cool when we were there), but we laid on the beach every day we were there. There was always chairs availabe. The issue with the rocks and the size of the beach did not effect us at all. We like to lay on the beach and it was perfect for that. If you wanted a bigger beach area the other Riu's beach, which you have access too is literally 30 steps away....

Service - PERFECT. The service EVERYWHERE was great.

Restaurants - We didn't do reservations so we only ate at the buffett. The food was always good - it did get very crowded at lunch, they didnt' have the Las Olas Buffet (the larger buffet room) open for lunch so it was only the smaller buffett, so it was very crowded, but the buffet was always full and good! I seen some reviews say there are times when there is no food availabe, but other than two 30 minute periods (12-12:30 p.m. and 6-6:30 p.m.) there is always one of the buffetts open (other than from 10:30 at night until 7 a.m., when you do have access to the snacks at the capuchino bar or the sports bar).

Sports Bar - The sports bar has a pool table, a fooz ball table, hair hockey table and two video game machines. We played several games (which you do have to pay for) and had fun with that. There are several tvs with sports on.

Downtown is a 10 minute drive - $1 on the public bus or a $10 taxi ride.

You can walk to a ferry (about a 5 minute walk) that will take you to an Island about 20 minutes away for a $20 round trip ticket. There are also a couple small convenience stores in walking distance.

We relax a lot on vacation so we didn't watch any shows at the theatre....so I can't review that. I didn't use the gym or the spa either.

We loved this resort and we would defintiely return. Please feel free to message me if you have mroe questions.

5 Thank Dana W
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I travelled to Cancun Mexico last week and had one of our best vacations ever!
We flew Sunwing and had an enjoyable flight - worth while paying extra for Elite plus!
We arrived at the hotel close to midnight and the check in was flawless. Our front desk personnel rreviewed the Hotel map with us and where the restaurants were. He also advised that the Sports Bar was opened 24 - 7 and that we could get some refreshments. The lobby is ultra modern and beautiful as was the rest of the resort. We had a regular room on the 5th floor with a beautiful view overlooking the pools and ocean. The room was extremely comfortable, clean and had the necessities (hair dryer, safe, mini fridge). The bed and pillows were also extremely comfortable. It was very quiet. We asked for Pepsi light and were accommodated during our stay with extra bottles in the fridge.
The restaurants we tried were the Japanese, Italian, Fusion and the buffet. We had extremely good meals with no complaints. The Sushi at the Japanese restaurant was so fresh and delicious as was the stir fry. The snapper at the fusion restaurant was cooked to perfection and the chocolate truffle was to die for!
One thing that was really exceptional was the service of all of the employees. We tipped at each meal (including buffet) and bar service inside and outside and the employees were thankful but never seemed to expect to get tipped. I have never witnessed such hardworking people who really were dedicated and enthusiastic about their jobs. We travelled to many resorts and the workforce at this location were fantastic. They were extremely helpful and aimed to please.
The entertainment at the pool side each day was a lot of fun. You could participate or you didn't have to. We enjoyed the music and the BBQ outside daily at lunch was so enjoyable. The guacamole dip was to die for!
We went to a few entertainment nights and it was okay. There was live entertainment with singing and musical instruments before the nightly show that was very enjoyable.
We went for leisure and relaxation and accomplished both.
The Coffee Bar inside the lobby was wonderful but I wish it would have opened before 10 am.
The wine was also very good at this resort.
I want to do a shout out to Lauren and Mark who were from England (halfway between Manchester and Liverpool). A lovely couple who got engaged on the beach during our stay! I send them lots of love and happiness for their future.
There was only one area that I was not 100 percent happy with. The Hotel photographer was a pain in the butt. When we were sitting relaxing at the lobby bar - he would ask us for a picture - we told him no and he went away. But when we went to the restaurant - he came in there later and once again pestered us to take a picture. 4 times in one night is obnoxious. That was the only complaint that I had.

Room Tip: The regular rooms were awesome! I wouldn't spend the extra money to book the adult only area as...
8 Thank Helen B
McCordsville, Indiana
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I've been at other all-inclusives before, but this one stands out. It started when the bellman offered a complementary pina cola upon arriving. That was just the start. All, and I mean all drinks from the bar are included (none of the blah rum punch). I'm not a huge drinker, but I had to partake of some unique recipes which were all excellent. Our girls had a blast in the RIU kid's club. The facilities were immaculate. The food was unexpectingly great. My only caveat is that if you want to go to one of the specialty restaurants (included), book early.

Even the entertainment was top notch. Overall, I love cruising, and this is the closest I've coming to a hassle-free vacation on land in a long time. Even gained 10lbs. to show for it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Henry K
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I went to the Riu Palace Peninsula on Jan 11th with 2 others for a girls trip (early 30's). I had been to Cancun once before and stayed next door at the Riu Caribe.
This hotel is beautiful. The common areas and restaurants were immaculately clean. The room was spacious and beautiful, although the tub in the middle of the room was a bit odd (we had 2 double rooms) for friends sharing rooms. The shower was great though and I loved how the sink was separate so it made it easier to get ready.
While there we had the buffet every morning, once at night and then also went to every restaurant except Krystal. Food was good, above average if you know what to expect from all-inclusives. We couldnt get reservations for any of the restaurants the first night, but after that we had no problem. The Japanese restaurant was my favorite. Richard and Manuel took care of us there and were seriously the most attentive servers Ive had in a long time!
The entire staff was great. The bartenders in the lobby, servers at the lobby bar and at the pool were always on top of anything we needed.
The drinks were a bit weak, but good. I think I tried every frozen drink on the menu and have no real complaints. They will also make you anything you request. i had many Pina Coladas/Strawberry Daquari combos (ive heard them called many things, here it is Miami Vice)!
Last trip i went to all the clubs and out every night. This vacation was just about relaxation and it was very successful! The pool area is perfect! Yes, the beach is rocky, but I think its kind of cool. If you want a better beach area, you can walk next door and use the Riu Caribe.
I also went to the spa for a stress message. It combined different techniques and aromatherapy. It was perfect! the name of the masseuse escapes me but she was great.
Had a day trip to Isla Mujeres again. I love renting a golf cart and just exploring. (If there, have lunch at the Joint and try the mango frozen mojitos!)
We heard the weather was terrible for the weeks following up to our stay, but we got lucky. We had great weather except for the day we were leaving. It made coming home a little easier!
Hope to go back soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kerrina34
Manchester, Missouri
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel has a wonderful All-inclusive program that is extremely enjoyable. Delightful pools, wonderful sand beaches, and beautiful surroundings. Food and drinks available 24 hours a day. A number of theme restaurants that feature many cultural food choices. Entertainment daily and on stage every evening. Close to the shopping area of Cancun, if you want to buy some tourist items for those that didn't come with you. Numerous excursions available for many tastes. Cancun has a excursion called Xplor Park. This is a must see activity that is an all day event and all inclusive with a wonderful photo program that allows for hands free entertainment.. Leave your camera behind and just buy the photos at a reasonable price that provides the best shots available while you enjoy the park. This is a must do vacation.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. I chose Ocean view Junior Suites. Cell phone service is avai...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank George O
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed one week in Rivera Maya at the valentine imperial and one week in Cancun at the riu palace peninsula. It was awesome to see the difference in the two hotels and would recommend doing a two week trip like this. Last year I stayed at the RIU Palace Las Americas for two weeks. I would recommend the adult villas here as the kulinarium restaurant is very good and you have the Jacuzzi on the balcony and a good view. Although these building do not have elevators so just ask for a bell boy if you are on the third floor. Food is excellent and bartenders Diego and Rodolfo are the best, they mentioned to me they would be at the new riu because they became friends from las Americas. There was really no beach but I wasn't upset because my first hotel had an amazing beech. Also the beech at the riu caribe was dirty so I didnt want to go over there although I found that out when I went jet skiing. Pools were nice could have been cleaner.

2 Thank nwaters006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!