“Noisey place!”

Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Fargo, North Dakota
“Noisey place!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Spent 8 days at the Riu Palace. I read many reviews and researched this hotel in great detail. Yes it is very nice and clean and shiny and new but, We were on the first floor right above the stage and the shows would start at 945. If you wanted to check out early and go to bed forget it!
I found the customer service was ok for an all inclusive but not great like so many others. Yes we tipped al the time! The food was good quality and great selections but the buffet food was cold. This got really old after a few days. The specialty restaurants were very good with hot meals except the steak house. I had a raw steak and cold lobster!
The property is set up with two towers turned inward towards the ocean. The three pools were long and linear and because of that you could not get away from the music at the active pool. Basically the vacation seemed like we were trying to find a quiet place just to veg out. I know this Cancun and I like to party but if you want to just hangout, drink eat and read a book in peace and quiet than go some where else. We aren't snobs just working class people from the Midwest.
I would look somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay away from the west tower
3 Thank cwhittlesey2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,393)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
N.H.
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We've had the pleasure of staying at other Riu Palaces and finally nailed a good price in late March to see this newer resort.
Arrival was easy with Entertainment Plus USA picking us up and transporting us to the hotel. Recommend them highly for ground transportation from Cancun airport to anywhere.
Check in was quick and the lobby is pretty cool. (yes, the decor is a bit glitzy and purple, but it's fun). We had lunch while our room was finished.
ROOM: Very clean, comfy bed, nice balcony overlooking the pool & ocean. Open sink/shower area. There was a large jetted tub in the room we didn't use but my grandkids would love it. Housekeeping was excellent, bottled water supplied, coffee maker in the room. We left a note for the maid to leave extra coffee packets as the coffee is very weak so we'd just double up when making it.. ROOM SERVICE was great too - for breakfast fill out the form and leave it outside on the door knob the night before. Limited menu but great for coffee, fresh fruit or whatever in the AM.
BUFFET & specialty restaurants were always very good to excellent, and we tried all the restaurants. Yes, you have to make reservations in the lobby 48 hrs. in advance but if you really want to try them all, it's doable. I wish they'd change this but most all-inclusives do this. The buffet was amazing! The freshest fruit every AM, omelet stations, everything you can imagine is there. The only item that was surprisingly blah was the overcooked hamburger one lunch but other than that we were very happy.
BARS/COFFEE: Excellent coffee/sandwich/pastry place in the lobby and on the other side was a great bar and to our delight, our favorite bartender from the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun - Diego! He is awesome - huge smile and fab service. We had great service at all the bars, pool service and restaurants. There isn't high-end liquor but good mid-range selection and plenty of it. If a drink is too weak or whatever, let them know and it will be remedied! PLEASE TIP - they rely on this and even a dollar or two is appreciated.
POOLS/OCEAN: We went at a good time of year for perfect weather and warm pool and ocean temperatures - heaven. Never a problem getting a lounge or umbrella. We would beach it in the AM and then do the pool in the afternoon. We didn't do the pool with the swim up bar and usually avoid these unless there are bathrooms nearby and there were not. :( Quite a few guests complained about the lack of bathrooms near the pool and beach.
ENTERTAINMENT: Fun, hard working kids. You can join in the volley ball, trivia, bingo or dancing or just chill. It can be a bit loud at night if you're an early-to-bed sort but we got used to it.
AREA: While we prefer the area at Las Americas (there's a great little shopping area right across the road that's fun to visit each evening) this beach was better, just not much to walk to. There is a drug store/liquor store at the Riu next door if needed.
OVERALL: We would go back for the great beach, service, food and room comfort but there are a few things that were disappointing - for a newer resort (and compared to the more substantially built Las Americas) some areas need cosmetic attention. The design of the rooms is a bit strange, but again, not a deal killer for us.
TIP: The lazy woman's snorkeling - grab some bread rolls from the buffet and feed the fishies in the ocean. The iguanas also love it!
So, go for a relaxing time and have fun. We have never been disappointed with service or safety in Mexico and will always consider a Riu Palace.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, ask for a room further from the entertainment area.
1 Thank TravelBugNH
Greenville, Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Sorry for the review delay :/ .......went on our annual 'bucket list' trip with family/friends this year back to Mexico!! Stayed at the RIU Palace Peninsula Resort the week of February 24th, 2014. We have no complaints! Loved the resort and all its vibrant colors. The resort, food and 'on-site' travel staff were all excellent & helpful, the variety of food was tasty, Enjoyed the pools, Yes the beach was rocky in areas but there was enough room for everyone. I enjoy to walk the beach for miles and that is not something you can do here - just an fyi. The weather was awesome - 80's the whole week & we were coming from negative degree Michigan weather . We went on a day trip via a catamaran to the Isle of Mujeres - met some neat people from all over the US and enjoyed visiting the island. Took the local buses to other Cancun locations and felt safe. Enjoyed a fantastic show at the Co Co Bongo in Cancun - it is expensive but worth the money!!! It's a bucket list 'to do' item itself :) Planning again for another trip next year!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean side are beautiful - ask for rooms above the 10th floor & higher as their nig...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HeatherMT2013
Derby, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We absolutely LOVED this property. We arrived early - prior to check in and were immediately welcomed with a smile and superior customer service at the Front Desk - our rooms were beautiful and both clean and neat. We were upgraded to ocean view which I HIGHLY recommend. The view is simply amazing (THE BALCONY WILL BE YOUR FAVORITE SPOT!). The beaches and pools are excellent. We loved every minute of our time at this hotel - we actually walked to two other RIU properties but quickly noticed how superior ours was. ALL the staff were wonderful, from the lobby bar to the restaurants to the Front Desk - everyone was pleasant and accommodating. I do think they need to upgrade the food and service levels in the specialty restaurants but enjoyed them just the same. We also took the ferry to Isla Mujeres which is the island off the coast of Cancun. On this island you can rent a gold cart and ride up and down the island - SO worth doing. All in all we thoroughly enjoy our stay at the Riu Palace Peninsula and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get an ocean view room. Balcony will be your favorite spot! Higher rooms - bette...
3 Thank Thomas B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I went to Cancun March 26-April 2. Our first three days where spent at RIU Cancun, all I have to say is thank God for upgrade capabilities. RIU was over crowded and they so nicely changed us to RIU Palace Penninsula.

Food/Drinks:
The food was delicious, there was always something great to eat at the buffet or the italian restaurant was even better. We also ordered room service and it was in our room about 15min after we ordered. Chocolate cake was scrumptious!! What even better about the buffets was the breathtaking view that you were able to see as you ate.
Drinks were delicious. They had upgraded tequila "Don Julio" and if they didnt have the bottle they would find it. Nothing we drank was watered down. It was all just right.

Service: Everyone's service was amazing. There was an incident where these older woman had just a little to much to drink and help from the resort came immediately. Teresa at the front desk was awesome. The bell guy had a great smile that was just so welcoming. The only problem I has was with Fernando at the villas infinity pool. I asked him about three times for a drink and he would not bring it. Our room was at the villias area so we are entitled to drink there. We are good tippers every 2 drink a $2 bill. He just would not come.

Rooms;
We stayed in the villas, rooms were great. 2 jacuzzies was heaven, very clean, loved the color scheme.

Overall experience was just amazing. The views, the people. I didnt have to fight for chairs. Food was delicious. I will return!!

3 Thank Vanessa H
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Anyone who complains about this place should be slapped :) This was our 7th stay in Mexico, first time at this particular hotel, but it was one of the best places we've stayed so far. New facilities (albeit a bit odd for Mexican decor - 80's contemporary - but still very nice), great service, good food, and included name brand drinks (which is not something you see at most all-inclusives.) The swim-up bar pool is a bit small, but there are plenty of other pool options, and they do have waiters, even on the beach. There is one section of open, sandy beach, and one section with a lot of boulder rocks, but the water is beautiful and the sand is clean. Speaking of clean, it was one of the cleanest places we've ever seen. More people washing outdoor sidewalks than I've ever seen before! Ha! The only two slightly negatives that I could even find about the place is that restaurants aren't open as early as we're used to in other resorts (i.e. no lunch buffet until 12:30) and there's no "nightlife" dance club on the resort. They do offer nightly entertainment and then the option to go with other resort patrons to a nearby nightclub, but the nightclub trips cost (generally around $55/pp.) There is a lobby bar open late, and a sports bar that is open 24 hours/day though, so there are certainly things to do after the nightly entertainment is over.
All in all, a fantastic trip to a beautiful resort. We highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We were offered a free upgrade to the private "villas" side - which had similar rooms as t...
1 Thank RachelSt.Louis
Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Riu from April 1-5. Everything was amazing! It was my husband's first all inclusive and he was not disappointed. I can honestly say that I did not experience amything bad this entire trip so I disagree with all of the bad reviews. I write long reviews so here goes :)

Hotel/Room: Beautiful modern feel. Alex made us feel welcome as soon as we walked through the door! The grounds were very well maintained and our room was cleaned beautifully daily. The layout of the room is very different. We stayed in the main building on the 10th floor in an ocean front room and the view was amazing! The room was huge with more than enough space for us and our belongings. The bathroom area is not private but for a couple, that's no big deal. If I had been there with my girlfriends, it may have been a bit awkward.

Pool/beach: Gorgeous with more than enough beach chairs to choose from whether you want sun or shade, anytime of the day. The pool bar, as always, was the life of the party. If you don't mind getting a bit rowdy then that's the place to be-lots of fun! If you want something more quiet, there are about 3 other pools to choose from that are a little more relaxing. The entertainment staff was ok, did a lot of the same stuff every day so that could be improved a little bit. I also didn't particularly care for the music at the main pool--wasn't lively enough for my taste so I would just head over to the pool bar. Bernardo makes amazing drinks by the way! Also a nice touch with waitstaff all throughout the pool and beach so you don't even have to get up to get a drink.

Food: Yummy! More than enough to choose from at the buffet. Yes, there was a lot of the same stuff each day, but there was always something new to choose from as well so you could never go wrong. They also cook lunch by the pool but we only ate there one day and it was pretty good. Make sure you make reservations at Krystal Restaurant. The food was amazing-we both had red snapper and it was the best meal we had at the resort. Special thank you to Arcenio, Oscar and Saul for always taking care of us at the buffet! I wouldn't recommend the sports bar for food-wasn't good but served it's purpose at 3am to prevent a hangover :)

Nightlife: There's not really anything to do at night on the resort. They have your standard nightly entertainment like any other all inclusive. I will say that the dancers are definitely better than what I've seen at other resorts. The lobby bar is nice but it was putting me to sleep with the piano music. I was surprised they didn't have more lively music there since there's really no other place to hang out after dinner--that would be my recommendation to liven it up a bit while people wait for the shows to start. We purchased the three nightclub package (Congo, Senor Frogs and Coco Bongo) for $95 each and it was AMAZING! We had so much fun and it was worth the price--all drinks included and you have two hosts that stay with you all night to make sure you are well taken care of (Claudio Miller was the best!). If you like to party then Coco Bongo is the way to go: great performers, good music, good drinks and TONS of people just having a good time. All 3 clubs were great so I would recommend the package.

All in all, we had a great time with nothing negative to report. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank MilaFred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
#23 of 175 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
#32 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!