“Best Riu in Cancun”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #24 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here April 22 to May 1. My 8th time in Cancun. Best hotel EVER. Don't understand the bad reviews. Or the complaints about rude staff. Everyone here was a pleasure to deal with. The hotel is practically brand new and absolutely gorgeous. Clean. Never really noticed the musty smell at the Riu Palace Las Americas until we walked into the Riu Palace Peninsula. Smelled fresh and clean. Everything was spotless! Front desk staff were wonderful. Absolutely great location in Room 531. We were nervous at first because it was near the service elevator but we never heard a thing and even though the theater was directly to our left, the entertainment usually ended no later than 11 pm so it really was no problem. Loved just sitting on the balcony and admiring the beautiful view. The pools were wonderful. I do wish they would designate one pool for children - I'm not a fan of diapered babies in the pool - always worry about e-coli from poopie diapers. You'd think people would have more sense - but they don't. Not many children at this resort and the majority of those that were there were well-behaved - always a few exceptions but actually no real problem. Drinks were plentiful and well-made. Think the rum at the pool bar was watered down, couldn't taste it in the strawberry daiquiris. Strangely enough though, the mojito from the pool bar was the best I've ever had. Food was plentiful and, for the most part, very good. Prefer the pasta bar set up at the Riu Palace Las Americas to the pasta station at Riu Palace Peninsula - at Las Americas they made fresh pasta to order with whatever ingredients and sauce(s) you wanted, everything was pre-made at the Peninsula. Pasta always looked dried out. Also, they need a different set up for the omelette station - Las Americas used a flat top and the "cook" could work on several omelettes at a time, Peninsula had a stove with only three pans - the cook kept the heat on high and the omelettes tended to be a little more well done than I like. I usually covered them with a health serving of the fresh pico de gallo so it wasn't a deal breaker, but those two things could use some improvement. Otherwise the food was very good - got sick at Las Americas last year. Steak at Peninsula was exceptional. No matter where you got it - we had filet in Kulinarium and Kabuki but steak at buffet, while not as good a cut, was just as tender and tasty. Filet in buffet on lobster nite (Thursday) was exceptional. I am from the Northeast and we eat cold water lobsters here. The warm water lobsters they serve just dont' have the sweet meat that their cold water cousins do. Still, they weren't bad and you could eat as many as you wanted at the buffet. Ate fruit, salad, vegetables, and had no problems. Only thing I have noticed is that prices in Mexico have soared from the first time I was there in 1999. A bottle of Coke at the airport will set you back $4. The only thing that you seem to be able to get cheaply at Plaza La Fiesta is the Mexican blankets. Everything else has jumped up considerably. I used to be able to get a picture frame for around $12, they now run $20 and that's the cheapest! Sweatshirts used to $10 - $15 now $40. Vanilla is cheap too. And very good. I get a bottle of Puro every time I go.
If you are considering this property, do not hesitate - it is WONDERFUL! Go and enjoy. I read a review complaining about the pools because they are not "standard", but they are beautiful. The activity pool is quite large. We spent most of our time at the infinity pool and loved it. The beach waiters will come over and get drinks for you. It was 10 days in Paradise. Best trip I ever had.

Room Tip: Not really necessary to be on the highest floors to get a beautiful view - we were on the 5th floor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cyndi D
Write a ReviewReviews (5,477)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is impeccable
The staff are unbelievable
The area is outstanding
This hotel rocks !!
Simple as that 100%
Night life is brilliant
So if your looking for luxury stay here it's quite simply exquisite .

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank meat b
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at RIU Palace Peninsula in the middle of January for 4 days. It was a nice change from the “polar vortex” situation back in Chicago and the weather was mostly great with plenty of sun. One day it rained and was very windy but it seemed that all patrons decided that no matter what we all will sit out by the pools or the beach wearing out sweat pants and sweat shirts. We only had relaxation on our agenda so we did not venture anywhere but the Cancun city on a cloudy day for a brief re-con mission.

The location:
20 minute drive from the CUN airport – can’t beat that (from -20F to +72F in 4 hours flat). It is also a bus ride away from the huge mall, Mayan Museum and the Cancun city itself. (If you go to the city stay close to Walmart – all the busses have their main stop by the store and pretty much other “markets” are near there, it’s safe, and you won’t get lost).

The Hotel/Grounds:
The hotel itself looks huge but it’s really not. It’s clean, well maintained, and very modern – looks like RIU is going toward modernization of all their “Palace” hotels. The décor is very Art Deco-ish – purple, silver, black. The pools are all good sizes and there are plenty of them. The beach is small due to rock formations but you can go to the next door RIU and enjoy their beach (along with the bars and food). (Actually, by staying in this particular hotel you can go to any of the RIUs on the strip.) On a windy day it is way calmer by the pools than on the beach. They also have palapas and hammocks in the “wooded” area by the “adults only deluxe villas” area. Also, if you are a person who works constantly even on vacation, or just someone who needs internet access - Wi-Fi works on the beach, which is a big selling point for us.

The Room:
We were on the 5th floor and the room (510) was HUGE with the ocean view. The décor is also very modern – all white with pink and purple accents. The mini fridge was stocked with water, soft drinks and beer. There also was a “mini bar” with rum, vodka, tequila and bourbon. The bed was comfortable. The shower area was also pretty huge, stocked with the big fluffy towels, and there is a Jacuzzi tub (we did not use). The balcony overlooked the manicured grounds complete with an ancient Mayan ruin. The maids were great, room was cleaned well and when we needed something we just left them a nice note in broken Spanish & English and our request was fulfilled. The coffee in the room is available but my boyfriend went to one of the breakfast restaurants early in the mornings and asked for a coffee to go in big Styrofoam cups – that was way better than the prepackaged stuff.

The Restaurants:
The Las Olas/Isla Mujeres for breakfast was great. These two restaurants share the kitchen and for breakfast you can get your standards “world” buffet in the Las Olas and “Mexican food” in Isla Mujeres. No complaints all around. Food had a huge variety, was always fresh, and well made. The chefs were all friendly and awesome. The servers are all great and a lot of them do an amazing job, even if you just grab a snack or a drink. Isla Mujeres is open for lunch – the same deal – good food, everyone is awesome. One of the rooms in Isla Mujeres has A/C so it’s nice on a super-hot day.

Isla Mujeres opens for lunch at 12:30, but if you need something earlier – the Italiano (in the main lobby) opens at 12pm. It is a “sit down” concept with a main course off the menu but the appetizers or if you need a quick bite are available in the buffet. (This is a good option if you are going on an “adventure” or being picked up by an airport shuttle at 12:30pm) The lunch at the pool is also served starting 12:30 – the food at the “grill” includes hamburgers, hot dogs, tacos, paella. All good stuff, no complaints besides the fact that on the day we were going home we had 1 option for lunch – the Italian place.

For dinner you have a few options – the buffet at Las Olas – always good with different themes almost every night. Or you can reserve a dinner at one of their “fancier” restaurants, we tried: Krystal – fusion cuisine, Japanese restaurant and the Steakhouse. The concept is simple – you get one from each course and there is usually something from the chef. At Krystal there was a taster plate of tapas those were perfect little starters. We always try to get different dishes so that we can try most of the food – which was good at Krystal. At the Steakhouse they must have gotten carried away with the cleaning supplies – some of the food tasted like soap, I hope it’s not a standard thing, other than that the food was OK.

The Coffee Bar in the lobby is great – they serve all sorts of drinks: alcoholic, nonalcoholic, coffee, and deserts. The girls working there were always very nice and very friendly even through the cappuccino machine mishaps and busy times.

Overall the place is wonderful, new modern décor; the food is up to par with the RIU places and the service was great as usual. This place is a very good option for a fast and easy getaway. It is kid friendly with an adult-only option at the villas. We would definitely go back

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Anastasia08
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Yesterday we had checked in and went for a swim. The person who checked us in apparently never gave us a towel card for beach towels. After swimming with my three year old son we got out of the pool and approached the towel shack to try and get a towel. The man denied us several times although my son was wet and cold. He told us we needed to go to the front desk and walk through the property dripping wet in order to get a hotel towel card. I asked him to please call the front desk on our behalf and he refused. On the way to the front desk dripping the floor was wet and i slipped with my son who I was carrying. My son hit his head on the concreate and I fell trying to catch him. I hit my elbow and was bleading and also my eye which broke a blood vessel. When I asked for security they blamed me for falling. When I tried to speak to the manager they also tried to blame me and told me there was nothing they could do. The next day I asked to speak to the hotel director about the situation as I needed to get medical attention the day before, the man at the front desk said the manager refused to talk to me until after he spoke to his assistant. This is horrible customer service and a lack of sensitivity to the issue.I asked many times for the corporate number to RIu and the assistant manager would not give it to me. I have contacted the Riu corporate office via email and so far no one has responded. The hotel did not even offer to compensate me in any way.

• Stayed: May 2014
24  Thank Jordanpes
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was by far one of the most amazing places i have stayed in. I dont understand any of the bad reviews about this place.

Hotel: the hotel is gorgeous! its open and bright and has a really modern feel to it. While we were there we checked out the other 3 cancun Riu's this is by far the best!

Rooms: The room was really nice!! wouldnt be great for a family but perfect for a couple. we had a big double door balcony and then a double window in front of the bath. i could see the ocean from both the bed and the bath. Plus there was a nice big shower. Bed was nice and big. The room was cleaned twice

Drinks: Any cocktail you want they will make you!! champagne breakfasts everything!!! the waiters around the pool make sure that you dont go without for long and then the inside martini bar is lovely!!! drinks all through dinner!!!! salvador the pool waiter was great!! constantly brining us drinks! The sports bar is open 24 hours, we ended up in there a few nights after we had been to a club so i cant remember an awful lot but but it was open and it served drinks so it must have been good :-)! the martini bar is open until 1am! perfect for nights you fancy a drink but dont want to go to a club

Food: the buffet is amazing!!!!! they have different themes. Sushi night once a week lobster night twice a week, mexican the lot. i made sure i lost half a stone before i went and i definatly put that back on! We went in the main door to the end and then the left every time and had the most amazing waiter!!! Javier and head waiter Roger! they looked after us and made every buffet dinner a great dining experience! we had petals on our tables little napkin flowers champgane with fruit it was amazing!!!!! We went to the steak restruant which was nice enough but we didnt bother with the rest as the buffer was so perfect!! We ate out 2 nights just to get away from the hotel, one night was senor frogs which was a total rip off and another night at the out back so we could go to margeittavile. it was nice enough but the hotel dinners win hands down. there is so much choice. im a big healthy eater and there was every kind of salad and fish you could dream of, my boyfreind likes to indulge and he could to his hearts content!!

entertainment: The night shows werent great but they do the best they can, there were a couple of good nights. but we went to the martini bar most nights if were going out or staying in. The entertainment team are GREAT!!!! they keep you entertained all day!!! especially Omar and Juan (Jual) im not sure how to spell his name! they really made the holiday!!! all day they keep you laughing!! every night the crew go to a different club! you get a VIP area and que jub with them its so worth it! if you can get a night out with Omar and Juan it will be one to remember (although i cant remember too much of these nights) we went to coco bongos (With another company) i would advise getting VIP it gets so busy and its so worth it.. then we went to mandala, mandala beach club, palazzo and the city wth the entertainment team! my favourite was the beach club party on a tuesday but they were all really great nights

special mention to Sual in the int Japense restraunt he didnt even wait on us but generally made us smile, of course javier and roger both amazing!! and salvador they all made our holiday what it was.

in terms of location you have to get a cab into the part with the clubs buts its about $15 (130 peasos) and to be hoenst its well worth being that little bit futher out to stay here.. its not far anyway about 10 mins.

The beach is small on one side but bigger on the other and its still lovely!

the pools are great too!! the swim up bar is usually full of americans doing shots and they stay in there for the whole day which makes you worry a little that they are usuing it as the loo.. there is an infinity pool which is great to look out over the sea, a bigger one at the back where alot of the kids are, and then the one with the entertainment team.. grab a bed round that one and youll be laughing all day (not somewhere to go if you want to sunathe quietly- plenty of other spots for that) we saw the villa pool but to be honest youd really be missing out if you stayed up there.

we are terrible for taking pictures we usually get about 5!! so we booked a photo session with the photographers. we done it about 5 when it was cooler and quieter, its totally cringy but we got some gorgeous pics!!! they are quite expensive but so worth it!!

all in all this was by far one of the best holidays i have ever been on im not really an all inclusive kind of people im more a festival or a travelling round thailand kind of girl so i was suprised by how much i loved this place!!! i cant wait to go back!!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 722, and had freinds that got upgraded to 1124. our room was so much better. we ha...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gemheath
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Below is a copy of our thank you email which says it all

Thank you for looking after us so well. The service was exceptional from the moment we arrived and the room was perfect.

We dined in the Kabuki and Krystal restaurants as well as the buffet, the food and service was wonderful.

We came to attend a wedding the effort that went into making this special far exceeded our expectations. The food at the wedding meal, the head waiter and assistants were absolutely brilliant and could not have done more.

We were only with you for 4 nights and are now planning to come back for longer in the future. Please pass on our thanks and appreciation to everyone who has look after us. A huge well done.

Room Tip: We stayed in an adult only villa which was perfect for us.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MindTheGap15
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just stayed last week at RPP. Amazing place. Have never seen cleaner grounds at any hotel or resort I've stayed at.
Only ate at the buffets as reserving 2 days in advance at the specialty restaurants seemed like a hassle while being on vacation. Always found something hot and tasty to eat.
Stayed in the adults only villas with hot tubs on the balcony.They have their own pool which is nice.Hung out mostly by the beach on the always available loungers with drinks served whenever needed. The Riu next door has a bigger beach area that can be used also.
I would highly recommend this resort as I have no complaints.

Room Tip: 3rd floor adult only villas
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple