“A great experience!”

Ranked #20 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Trenton
“A great experience!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We just got back from cancun. The hotel was amazing. The rooms were great. The staff was amazing! They did everything they could to make your stay as fun or as relaxing as you would like. They had everything from a buffet to a 5 star restaurant. Definently a place to suit everyone (including children) they have special activities for children. I had a great stay. The water was so clear and clean. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sabrajayy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,362)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We just stayed there and had a fabulous time. It was only a 4 day stay, but we were very impressed with our room and the cleanliness of this hotel was superb. I've been to the Mayan 20 plus times but since it was a short trip and all we wanted to do was relax at the hotel, we decided on Cancun since it's nice and close to the airport.
We were in room 321 and we loved it. I enjoyed being right off the elevator and we had a great view. We were offered a suite on the 5th floor and we looked at it, but it was at the end of the hall on the corner and we knew we wouldn't use the Jacuzzi on the balcony, so we kept our room.
The food was great at the buffets, and we looooved the steak house. When we stay at any Riu Palace, we always get the same thing (steak and lobster) and have never been disappointed. We had pre booked that before we arrived so we could have it on the first night. We were offered to use the Kulinarium restaurant in the villas and did and the ceviche appetizer was great and so was my beef. My husband's fish was so undercooked it was almost runny He didn't feel like eating any more after he took the first bite, so we didn't have a great meal there. We had a reservation for the Mexican, but didn't make it. We had no problems getting reservations and we never lined up at 7am, we just went in the afternoon when it wasn't busy.
The pools were nice, but the pool bar almost had a spring break for 30 - 40 year old feel to it. It got very wild.
We liked the beach even though it was small and walked over to the Caribe where it was bigger and that was very nice.
The only disappointments were that the room service menu was tiny, even more so than the other Riu's we have been to. The sports bar couldn't get the hockey games, so we had to go to a lounge on the strip.
Other than that, great trip and I would return or recommend as long as going in you knew that you were going to a very modern property. I usually like one with a more Mexican feel, but was prepared for the "new" Riu look.
We also had a couples massage and that was great:)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maried11
Marlboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

My family of 4 (19 year old twins) are staying at Riu this week. Enjoying the gala dinner buffet tonite with lobster tails! Service is excellent-all the workers are extremely friendly and accommodating. Specialty restaurants we tried (steak house and Kulinarium) were both excellent! No complaints!

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Sandy P
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

What can I say other than this is an incredible resort. This was my second trip and everything was just as great as I had remembered. The pools are fun, the bars are great, and the service is very good.

We were in a villa for our trip in the Adults Only section of the resort like last time and I can't stress enough how great it is in that section. You get your own private, quiet pool. There is poolside service and it is a very relaxing area.

The food is pretty good, I wouldn't call it amazing, but it is certainly above par for many resorts that are all inclusive.

I love this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: If you can manage it, book a Villa. You get access to a private pool area and it's Adults Only i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ekorotkin
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Riu for 5 days from 05/17/14 to 05/22/14.
Property and Rooms: Wonderful property! The hotel is located at far Northeast end of the hotel zone so it’s kind of isolated but that was not a problem. Bus stop across the street and its only 1 US dollar roundtrip. We took the bus to the club zones where we shopped at the malls (10 minute ride and very safe). The hotel is about a 5 minute walk away from the port where you can catch the ferry or party boats to Isa Mujeras. In the beginning we stayed in the Jr. superior suite 12 floor but then upgraded to the Jacuzzi suite 4th floor after the 2nd night. We decided to do this in case we had inclement weather the Jacuzzi would still give us a private place to relax and drink. I paid about 680 pesos for the upgrade.
Tour and excursions: Reps are available to book excursions to anywhere you could possible want to visit. I would suggest booking them at the hotel and not ahead of time on the internet because you just never know how the weather will be from day to day. We booked through the Best Day reps because that was the company we used to shuttle us from and to the airport.
Beach: I read negative reviews about how rocky the beach area is. Yes a portion of the beach is rocky but the sand/smooth part of the beach is large enough and that area never seemed crowed even though the resort was booked at about 95%. The sand part of the beach also extends next door to the other Riu property that you are able to use and we did use (not a deal breaker). You have access to Riu next door and the other 2 Riu’s located at about a 5 minute bus ride away.
Drinks: The drinks at the swim up poor bar were a little watered down. To solve that problem I just asked the bartenders to add more alcohol and they had no problem doing it. The bar near the private villas have the strongest drinks in my opinion. It’s less crowed so the bartenders have enough time to focus on making drinks. This bar is used to serve the guest at the villas but anyone can use it plus it’s closest to the beach. Freddy is the bartender and he is excellent.
Food: The food was EXCELLENT!!! The buffet selection was enormous. Don’t believe the negative comments about how bland the food taste. We had reservations for 2 of the restaurants but after eating at the buffets we decided to continue to eat there we never got tired of it. Buffets had everything you could think of eating. Room service was nice plus it available 24 hours a day but the menu is limited. We ordered turkey sandwiches and nachos at 3am and received it in about 20 minutes.
Overall: We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return to this property again and would stay at the Riu in other locations also. The THREE but minor CONS I had were 1) I believe the rooms should had at least some carpet(not a deal breaker) 2) I don’t remember seeing a bathroom outside near the pools or beach area. Or maybe I was full of alcohol and didn’t notice. 3) The refrigerated could have been a little colder.
The staff members were wonderful from the house cleaning, bartenders, waiters and even the bell hop named Alex. I tipped a total of about 60 US dollars doing our stay there. They did not ask for any tips but I tipped anyway as I do here in America. No need to convert US money into pesos because US money was widely accepted everywhere. I give this resort 4.5 stars!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank DFord1
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I am really disappointed. I came here last April, and had an awesome experience. So, I brought my wife this year, and the room sucks because rain shower head is broke, jet tub stopper is broke, bulbs are burned out, there was no room service menu and we had to wait 30 minutes for a menu to be brought, they didn't inform us at check-in about needing 48 hours to book a reservation at one of the 5 restaurants so we are not able to book. I believe they rely on the booze to cloud patrons judgement of the quality. After all, there are 5 fifths of liquor in the room and a fridge full of beer all gratis.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Josh D
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

New, very fancy hotel with great rooms, service... but the beach overall is not that great. Which is a shame since you are visiting Mexico and don't have a beach to fully enjoy. If you are homophobic or looking for a dynamic holiday, this wouldn't be your best choice.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple