“Great Hotel Stay!”

Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel Stay!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just returned from a fabulous week of fun in the sun, beach, pool, etc...The hotel have a great line of friendly Staff! From a warm greeting and Champagne at checkin from Mauricio and Caballero to the upmost customer service at at all restaurants & bars. Nice decor in the lobby area. Stop by the Lobby bar to see bartender, Diego! A funny talented guy...There are 5 restaurants, a buffet, sports bar and coffee/express bar in the hotel. The food was actually pretty good. I've had my fair share of bad all-inclusive food. The Italian and French restaurant was my favorite. The pools are super fun... A swim-up bar, entertainment pool (played volleyball, swim aerobics, zumba, soccer), and 3 other nice pools! Not much beach, but I really enjoyed it every morning. Last year I stayed in the Riveria section. But, Cancun beach is better!
I have to give a very special THANK YOU to Samuel Alejo!! He's a hardworking 5 Star rated bartender, who strives to provide 5 Star rated service at ALL times!! A rare jewel in my book... Also, many thanks to Gilerto, Javier, Ruben, and Rondolfo for providing excellent service to me and my family!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Venus222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,393)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
jmrwest
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This place delivered the goods. Staff was excellent. Food was very good with a large variety in the selection. My wife and I bought wads of ones w/us to tip the staff. They were very deserving. Only issue we had was they tried to put us in a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the stage/nightclub area. We went right back to the front desk and said no way. Then they put us in a room overlooking an roof. Went back to the desk and told them we want ocean view!!! Told us to wait til 3:00 for check in. No problem. Got a nice room after they dicked us around a bit.

Room Tip: Stay on the restaurant side to avoid the bands that play outside at night. Outdoor stage is on the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jmrwest
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I really don't know where to start. My husband and I just returned, I am not happy to be home! This place is beautiful (Rooms, views, grounds). I'm a really good cook and food snob so I was worried about the food from some of the reviews, but it was delicious. I didn't care for most of the desserts; as they were mostly mousse or flan types. There is full bottles of alcohol in your room at your disposal (So be careful not to overdo it).

The service was great. I did not experience one rude person and they were very accommodating with any request. We did tip, but it was not expected and very appreciated. I requested a King bed and mentioned it was our anniversary. On the 2nd night when we returned to our room there was Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and flower peddles on the bed. Actually every day there was some romantic theme when we returned to our room. I would most certainly return!

Room Tip: Get a room opposite of the theater if you go to bed early, it's pretty loud until about 11pm.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Spiceyji
essex
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife booked 2 weeks here as a surprise for my 50th bday, we had rooms on 12th floor (my daughter and her b/f were next door) overlooking pools, beach, sea and great views of Cancun, from the moment we checked in until the time we checked out, we had such a lovely holiday experience, our rooms were large, open plan with a jacuzzi bath next to our very large bed, fridge filled with beer and soft drinks, and optics with vodka, brandy, bacardi and of course tequila, amazing, (although we never used them) very clean (thanks to Gloria), the food in all restaurants were amazing and buffet food was to die for, we kept to same table for breakfast, and Marlene made us very welcome and looked after us immensely........the pool areas were very clean and pool waiters (especially Adrian) spoiled us rotten (and made us very lazy, didn't need to even walk to bars:)).........the entertainment team, did exactly what it says on the tin, and entertained, as soon as you join in with activities, they recognise you, know your names, and talk with you as if you are friends, special thanks to Juan (who made my wife Cathy's holiday),and Carlos, great fun ......... would love to go back, so will pencil it in for maybe next year..........

Room Tip: our rooms, I believe were junior suites on 12th floor, amazing rooms and great views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ROLYPOLYESSEX
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

How to start this review ?
Should I start with the mimosa at check in, or the room upgrade they gave us ?? This hotel is amazing, the room was sparkling, the surprise us with petals of roses every morning on bed, they knew we are honeymooners so they send us one day a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberrys... We stayed on the 11th floor the ocean view was amazing . The food at the buffet was delicious, we also enjoyed dinning at two at the restaurants at night. Diego is the bartender on the lounge bar he is incredible, very nice guy. All the employers are very nice and attentive as we'll. if you are looking for a perfect honeymoon or a getaway riu palace peninsula is the place to stay .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Willybrazil
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a twin centre break in Mexico. Our first 5nts were spent in the RPP, Cancun, last 5nts at the Azul Beach, Riviera Maya (See other review) This is a great hotel. Very big, bright & good service. We stayed in room 448 with beautiful views of the pools & ocean. The buffet at breakfast & dinner were fantastic. Great choice of food & always piping hot. Lunch,which was taken in another restaurant wasn't so great. There was lots of choice but nothing was ever hot, it was only just warm enough to eat. Our favourite restaurants were the Steakhouse & Asian. Absolutely beautiful & great service. We also dined at Krystal which is the "Fine Dining" option, I'm afraid both the service & the food didn't live up to expectations. I travelled with my partner & 9yr old daughter. We loved the pools & the beach. The Entertainment team were great & very funny without being too pushy. My daughter also went in the kids club & the girls in there were fab. My only criticisms of the hotel are; 1) No information was given about kids clubs or activities, maybe that's why some days she was in there on her own despite there being other children at the resort. It just wasn't promoted. 2) Rooms... A bit tacky & cheaply furnished. Our jacuzzi didn't work, the hairdryer had to be replaced & the drawers never quite went back into the correct position. The beds are also really small, smallest of any other All Inc we've ever been too. Always spotlessly clean though.
Overall we would definitely stay here again should we come back to Cancun & if the lunchtime restaurant was as good as the breakfast/dinner one i'd of given 5 stars.

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Janz01
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed 5 nights and 6 days with my hubby and toddler in this Riu hotel. We picked this hotel because it's new & has good reviews. About 30 mins drive without traffic from the airport. We we're picked up by the USA transfers which cost us $55 round trip. As I waited to get checked in, there was server offering drinks in the lobby. The lobby is really grandiose ! They assigned us in the first level room . I was thinking we won't get the ocean view because it was in the lower floor but surprisingly still get the full olcean view. Our room was right on top of the entertainment stage. My lil one was really having fun dancing in the balcony every time the band played music. The bedroom has a descent size. Cheap furnitures. Bed is small. We requested for 2 queen bed but they only have 2 double beds. The jacuzzi wasn't working when we got there & call maintenance & right away the came & fix it. Room service has limited menus & needs to improve their service. They don't have French fries when I called instead they offer potato chips. Seems like they are not as prompt as other " all inclusive hotel " I'd stay in cancun that offer 24 hr room service . The resturant buffet was good but not comparable to the 5 star hotel buffet in Las Vegas. The sushi restaurant was good, the main course I ordered was beef & chicken . the beef was nice & tender. Grilled chicken was dry. The fried tempura ice cream for dessert was heavenly ! Their Italian restuarant is my favorite. First of all no reservation needed & not as crowded as the buffet restuarant! I love the variety of food. My fav was the grilled grouper fillet. The steak & lobster restaurant was ok. It' s the same spot where u eat breakfast in the morning, they just turn it to steak house at night! The steaks are nice & tender! I love the seafood sampler as their entree. The Only down part was the lobster was so tiny, looks like a prawn. Not what I expected! All in all as what I observed, u can get the same food & taste in their especial restaurants in the buffet! What makes it different is the presentation and the ambiance! That makes it special! In terms of food in the pool area is limited. They only serve food during food lunch time. Servers in the pool only offer drinks NO Food menus. Kinda odd ! Between 10:30am-12:30pm they close the main buffet. So better grab a sandwich or slider in the bar if you can't wait that long while lounging in the beach. I was in Moon Palace & Playacar Palace I think those hotels have better food service than Riu since they have restaurants in the pool area! You never have to wait so long to eat hot & fresh food. Beach was ok & swimmable & not as beautiful as Playa del Carmen area. If you wanna go downtown Cancun to buy overpriced souvenirs, taxi is $15 one way. If u wanna explore the hotel zone take a bus for $1. :) Overall , it was a relaxing family holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Celes L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
#23 of 175 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
#32 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!