“AMAZING”

Ranked #20 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Darwin
“AMAZING”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel Riu Palace is such an amazing hotel. It has 4 different pools with activities running throughout the day. Its also right on the beach with a section which is closed off only for Riu guests. There are hammocks and day beds for you to just relax and sip on a cocktail and two bars. One bar is a pool bar and the other is off to the side near the hammock area. The wait staff would walk around constantly to take drink orders and pick up all the unused cups.

The room was large and clean. Room service would make little towel animals for us and left little chocolates and pedals on the bed. There was a bit of a bad smell in the room, which i am guessing is from the sewerage or just the water? i guess this can't be helped. But i guess you have to remember that you are in a lower developed country.

The restaurants looked very nice. I only had the chance of eating from the Italian restaurant, buffet and the steak house restaurant. There are only two restaurants the Italian and buffet restaurant that do not require a booking. However the others require a booking in advance and can only be booked for two timeslots and they get booked out quite quickly. So i would have preferred a couple more options to dine at without a booking.

Lastly the transport around Cancun centre is very easy. There is a bus stop right across the road, it only costs $1 US to get on, then the return trip is just as simple, just cross the road and the bus heads back. There are plenty of bus stops so even if you miss your stop the next one shouldn't be too far down.

Overall the hotel is amazing, i would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PoppyK2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My bf and I stayed here at the end of June 2014. Our experience was undeniably unbelieveable! Top notch service, varied choices of food, quality drinks and meals, ease of check in, ease of transportation and quick response to requests. My bf is very picky when it comes to restaurant experiences. I was actually a little nervous it would not live up to his expectations. He was blown away by the service and quality of food served....even at the buffet. Activities were plentiful and the front desk along with other employees were eager to share activities available other places other than the resort. The room was spotless and our view was beautiful!! My bf and I would definitely give this resort FIVE stars!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank enigma999cb
England
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I just wanted to write about our recent holiday to Mexico. We were upgraded to the Riu Palace Peninsular in Cancun. It was fantastic. Best hotel we have ever stayed in. Aldo the Thomson rep was fantastic but we didn't need him for any complaints, just to tell us where to shop lol. The only complaint we had was running out of tequila in our room, but a quick call to reception sorted that. I just wanted to write and say wish we were still there.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HappyGEngland
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Pros:
- clean rooms and common areas
- fresh food with large variety
- daytime and evening activities (nothing spectacular, but suitable)
- tour companies onsite
- all inclusive (food and alcohol)

Cons:
- not good snorkeling or scuba diving close to hotel
- rather far from the Cancun hotel area
- alcohol quality was just ok - most of the mixed drinks I got at the bar were not great
- very little noise isolation, we could hear absolutely everything in the hallways

Room Tip: Try for a room on the end to minimize noise - we were close to the elevator and heard everyone walki...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole S
Ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at this resort at the start of July. We had an amazing time, and couldn't praise the staff enough for their diligence and attentive service.

We sat on the beach everyday, which was beautiful, tranquil and the perfect place to unwind. The beach waiter, Cruz was amazing - working incredibly hard all day ensuring that everyone was suitably attended to. His professionalism and manner were exemplary.

As my children are both teenagers, I was a little worried that they would become increasingly bored as the holiday progressed. I'm delighted to say my fears were unfounded! This can probably be attributed, in no small part, to the fantastic wifi access!! I read another review where the wifi was questioned, however, I was incredulous when I initially discovered that it was actually available on the beach! We didn't encounter any problems at all; it was constantly available in all public areas and in our rooms.

We also availed of the free catamaran, kayaking and snorkelling daily. So this kept everyone entertained.

I can't comment on the evening entertainment, as we preferred to sit in the lobby area, which although busy, was a lot quieter.

One amenity which I adored was the cappuccino bar, the quality and selection of drinks was fantastic, and the baristas were just lovely - after a few days they didn't even need to ask what we all wanted!

I'd recommend retreating to the beach bar at night, its surrounded by palm trees and overlooks the water, for some reason very few people were here during our stay, but it is a gorgeous location and perfect for a romantic drink!

The housekeeping was excellent, the rooms were cleaned to an exceptional standard daily, and I really appreciated the late evening opportunity to get more fresh towels.

Humidity is high, but I ensured that the patio doors were closed,and condensation wasn't an issue.

I really enjoyed the food, and didn't get bored at all, although my husband and son did start to find it a bit monotonous towards the end of our stay (they have conservative palates though, and tended to eat the same thing everyday!)

The resort is a little distance from the main area of Cancun, however public transport is very cheap and very easily accessed just outside the hotel. We travelled into the main area on a couple of occasions, but much preferred to retire back to the infinitely more civilised confines of the hotel!

I highly recommend this hotel, and would love to go back again one day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels, we were on floor 14, and the view was stunning. Some rooms do...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank CatIreland
Wirral

What a wonderful hotel!
From the minute you are greeted by a charming gentleman (Alex) upon your arrival until your departure you will be treated like a 'King' and 'Queen'.
All staff are extremely friendly and cannot do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble
It is absolutely spotless throughout and all grounds are maintained to the very highest standards.

Breakfast
The finest assortment of breakfast I have ever seen.
Sections include Pancake and waffle, omelette and egg, Mexican, smoothie and juices, cheese, yoghurt, cereal, fish, English breakfast and of course fruit.
To summarise something for everyone and more
You can also enjoy a glass of fizz with your brekky if you so wish.

Lunch
BBQ by the pool, buffet or you can a sit down meal at the Italian
The buffet is again vast.
Kebab section, grill area including steaks, Mexican etc etc etc
Plenty of sweets and ice creams to compliment

Dinner
You have a choice of Italian, Japanese, Fusion, Mexican, Steak House and also The Kulinarium if you staying in a Villa
Only managed to get to Italian, Japanese and steak house during my 7 night stay as I was too full from lunch.
All restaurants are too a high standard of food and service is impeccable.

Entertainment
Not my cup of tea at all! To be desired!!
Would rather sit at the stunning beach bar 'Tobago' chilling with the mrs.

Bars
Sports Bar - It was it is!
Main Bat (at reception) is lively with a v.good atmosphere
Their are two further bars near the main stage which I didnt visit
My recommendation is go to the Tobago Bar situated by the Villas on the beach were the atmosphere is chilled and quite romantic setting to sip on your cocktails.

Daytime
Beach is amazing but require to clean up the seaweed more regular.
Ideal to have the sea breeze as it was needed in July
Pool areas are busy and their is always something going on.
Riu staff are excellent in having groups join in on activities

Watersports are available (jet skis etc)

A recommendation would be to visit 'Harrys Steak House' in Cancun
One word describes this place - Amazing
heck it out on line. Never had a steak like it.
Can be a pricey but worth a visit

Accommodation
We stayed in a Villa
The Villas pool is fantastic to get away from the hustle and bustle around the pool areas.
We stayed on the 3rd floor which gave us the privacy of our outside Jacuzzi (highly recommended) which was used 3 times a day.
The standard of room was excellent with private optics in your room.
It is worth the extra money? Not sure! Think only key benefit was the Jacuzzi and the private beds and pool
Make sure you ask for an Ocean View!!!!

Anybody visiting The Peninsula will not be disappointed, the place exceeded all expectations.
Best place I have had the pleasure of visiting and I will be going back.

If you do a boat trip I recommend the Cancun Catamaran to the Island.
The staff are excellent and ensure you have a good time
Excellent value for money at £40 each for a full fun packed day

Room Tip: If getting a Villa make sure you get an Ocean View room We stayed on floor 3 which gave us a good v...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank GoodyWirral
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from our son's wedding at the Riu Palace Peninsula. We travelled down as part of a group of 28.

Overall I was very satisfied with our experience. I found the food to be always fresh with a large variety. Room was cleaned proficiently each morning and fridge fully stocked. Staff at restaurants & bars were always attentive. The wedding was lovely with lots of fresh flowers, a nice meal and a private room for the reception. The beach was small but wonderful and the grounds immaculate and pretty.

As to be expected, no trip is ever perfect and this one did have a few minor annoyances. Firstly, I found the front desk staff to be disingenuous, telling all of us as we checked in that we had "free upgrades". To what I never figured out as we were on the 2nd floor overlooking the stage. No big deal - room was fine for us. But why even say it?

The only other issue we had was not with the Riu at all, it was with the tour operator Sunwing Vacations and their shuttle arrangements for the ride back to the airport. At no time were we given instructions as to what time we should be ready for the shuttle. We had to dig for the information ourselves. When it did show up, there wasn't enough room for everyone and a few people ended up having to take a cab back to the airport. One of the day trips our party booked with them did not materialize either. They did refund our money, but it was a day lost.

If you're looking for a quality resort then you won't go wrong with the Riu. But if you're looking for a party you may want to look elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family