“WONDERFUL PLACE...WORTH THE MONEY”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #20 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“WONDERFUL PLACE...WORTH THE MONEY”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned from this beautiful Resort. and all my wife and I have to say is Great Place!
as soon as you arrive they take care of you. if there is a line at check in be paitient, it will soon be your turn.
We stayed in the Villas,( 3rd floor nice view, but after a day of drinking, those stairs become tiring.)
and the xtra money was worth it. an area where no children are allowed, towel card not really needed, your own private area with your own bar, and waiters. Fernando was great at what he does. you don't have to get up early in the morning to save a lounge chair or the outside day beds. pool is beautiful and warm.
the resturants were wonderful and every employee there is helpful and attentive.
the place is always being cleaned. just look above your head and I dare you to find any dirt!
the maids are quiet, honest and very professional. your room stays cleaned and bed turned down.
you don't have to tip, but I pass $2 here and there. and at the end of the trip I know who really took care of us an rewarded them in kind.
10 all around except it could use a small disco area somewhere in the building. don't get me wrong, during the day they have pool games and contest and at nite there was always some kind of show. but a lot of families were there with children of all ages, RIUart for younger kids, and also teens. but later if you are in your 20's the shows are kinda boring, and I also need some music from 2014 jamming late nite! without going downtown.
they have a cappuchino bar. OMG great iced coffee and lattes. Sports bar always have snacks all nite.
I even contacted the conseior before my visit and told them my wife's birthday was yesterday, and without NO XTRA CHARGE they placed rose petals on the bed on top of a swan made out of the towles and chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne in our room.
getting downtown was safe and only cost $1 on the R2 bus. also went to the wallmart on the bus.
THIS IS A 5 STAR

Room Tip: Don't listen to those haters get a Villa. I suggest on the 1st floor
9 Thank MrC088

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is one of the best I have visited immaculately clean , great food , and the service is first class, my wife and I had a room on the 16 th floor the views were outstanding , the only slight negative is that the entertainment at night is not the best however it certainly should not put you off picking this hotel, we have been to a lot of nice hotels and resorts over the years and have always vowed not to go to the same place twice , however this hotel has certainly given us a challenge of sticking to this

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have truly wonderful views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnmccabe63
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

First time visiting Cancun with my boyfriend and chose to stay at an all-inclusive resort. We stayed for 5 nights in August. I was excited since this resort was recommended by a friend and my expectations were all met. When we arrived, check in was quick and the waiter brought us a drink after we received our room keys. We spent most of our afternoons on the beach or in the pool, drinks in hand. My only complaint is the difficultly with booking a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants, which must be booked 2 days in advance between the hours of 8am and 8pm. We were able to make one reservation during our stay. There are two restaurants that do not require reservations but the food selection could have been better at the buffet restaurant. The resort has a sports bar as well as a cappuccino in the lobby; great place to unwind after spending time on the beach or after our meals. We booked our airport transport and excursions prior to our arrival in Cancun. During our last night, we had a couple's Swedish massage at Renova Spa inside the resort. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting other RIU resorts in other countries.

6 Thank Exclusive_grl
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My fiancée and I stayed here on July 2013 and exceeded our expectations in everyway. I'm happy to see it is now #11 in the top resorts in Cancun. We stayed in the villa's and wow! It was perfect and modern with a private infinity pool right outside our door.

My only negatives was the entertainment in the evening was quite limited. There was an awesome beach party on Saturday night but it ends way to early. They should have more night time parties and activities. Also the beach was a little to rocky, but this is a minor gripe.

Food, drinks, staff, comforts were all perfect. Worth every penny!

Room Tip: Villa's are perfect. We stayed in 2105
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four days and it was a great getaway for us. We loved the modern look of the hotel and how the shape is so distinctive, you can see it from far away. As soon as we got there, Elizabeth at the reception desk was very friendly and welcoming.
We were on the first floor in a junior suite ocean view room. We had a great view of the ocean and the pool area! The room was very spacious and clean. The best part was the liquior dispenser and mini bar. You have to try the Dos Equis Radler in the mini fridge!!! It is so good and it's not available in the US so drink as much as possible!!! I personally hate beer and I drank it. The only bad thing about the mini bar is that they only stock it every 48 hours. We had to ask the reception desk twice on our fourth day to get it restocked and that was the first time it was even getting stocked. On our second day, they did have some chocolate covered strawberries and champagne in the room for us. They had found out that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary.
The beach is wonderful and beautiful. The water is so clear and there are different areas of the beach that can be private. Now one thing I will say is that the UV rays here in Cancun are very strong and when you mix alcohol and swimming, sometimes you can forget to reapply sunscreen which is exactly what happened to us. :/ We got a very bad sun burn and learned a hard lesson. Just remember to bring plenty of sunscreen and an after sunburn gel with you just in case. Otherwise you will have to pay $22 for a bottle in the hotel.
We loved all the specialty restaurants and the buffets. We were able to enjoy the Italian, Japanese, and Steak House restaurants. If you plan it right, you can eat some place different every night. As soon as you check in, go to the customer service desk and book whatever you can ahead of time. You can always cancel if your plans change. The buffets are pretty good because you have a variety of everything from salads, fruits, meats, and desserts.
Of course, I can't forget about the alcohol. As everyone has mentioned, if you tip, you get better taken care of. Luis in the Sports Bar gave us great service from the first day we were there. He made us feel very comfortable. By the pool, Jesus took great care of us as well and kept the drinks coming.
The lobby can be pretty noisy and busy throughout the day so if you want a more peaceful and relaxing stay, this hotel might not be for you.
The only negatives about this hotel are that there are some hotel staff trying to take your pictures in the lobby, by the pool, and even by the beach. Just say no thank you and you will be okay. Also, the hotel is on the farthest end of the hotel zone, so you either have to take a bus or taxi to do some shopping or go to the
clubs.
Overall, we loved our stay and would really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank BravoGirl
Sparta, Tennessee, Usa
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband surprised me for my 40th birthday with a week long getaway to the Riu in Cancun from July 26 to August 2. He booked everything through a travel agent from airport transfers to the hotel..which I usually handle myself so I was really skeptical. This place was really nice and worth the upgrade though! He knew that we had been talking about staying at an all-inclusive and wanted to stay at an adults only resort however the travel agent talked him into this one saying that with the upgrade to the adult only villa section it would be worth the extra money and much better than the adult only all inclusives in Cancun. With the upgrade to the villas we were able to get an ocean view villa on the third floor with a jacuzzi on the balcony. We were able to book seats in any restaurant on site up to 3 days in advance from just calling from our room, therefore we were able to eat at all the specialty restaurants! The key in my opinion to make your trip memorable and keep your drinks full, get the reservations you want, etc..is to start tipping the minute you walk in the door, Our reservation was for a garden view villa, with a quick tip we were upgraded to the top floor of the villas in an ocean view room. The first bar we went to we saw our favorite rum (Appelton Estates), we tipped the bartender and he filled an empty water bottle full of our favorite rum. We brought Big Bubba mugs from home and they were always refilled from the pool waiter at the villa pool (the quiet pool) with just a couple dollars tip each time. IT was well worth it. Now I can't say much about the entertainment because we went out three different nights to the clubs in Cancun. The entertainment staff meets at 11pm each night in the lobby and takes whoever wants to go to the clubs to the most happening club of that night. One night was a glow paint party at senor frogs and another was a foam party. You do not have to participate if you don't want to because you will be responsible for finding your own way back..which might be a challenge at 6am!! All in all the resort is definately a 5 star from visiting some of the other all inclusives in Cancun, the Riu Palace Peninsula is head and shoulders above the competition!

Room Tip: Choose the adult villas if traveling as a couple.
4 Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a couple from the 19th July until 2nd August & booked with thompson.
Overall we had a very nice time but by the end of the two weeks we were more than ready to go home. I don't wanna waffle to much so I will just list the good, bad & tips.

Good:
Fast check in with helpful & informative staff & bell boys didn't take long to bring up our cases.
Drinks were top shelf names & NOT watered down.
Waiter service around pool and beach (not just for villa guest).
A good Choice of various restaurants.
Beach was surprisingly nice, yes it's not wide but it does wrap around the whole resort and white sand with clear water.
Plenty of sun loungers no matter what time of day.
Check out isn't until 12:00pm.
All staff can speak English to a good level.
The hotel offer a romantic meal on the beach at an extra cost which I much say is worth it just for some "us time"
The hotel was extremely clean at all times

Bad:
Hotels location isn't the best, there's a small shop about 5mins walk but that's it for anymore shopping you will need to take the bus or taxi.
We chose to travel by bus as our rep advised us to, it's great value 10pesos to wherever you wanna go = 49p yes it's cheap but very very frantic as soon as you get on the bus it just goes whether you have payed or sat down or not in most cases and they are packed! But a cheap way of getting around just slightly daunting!
We're only 21 and we even felt that the hotel could do with a quite pool it doesn't matter where you sit in the day all you can hear is blaring music or screeching down a microphone by the entertainment staff which is fine don't get me wrong but some times it's nice to have a bit of quite.
Yes there's plenty of loungers but a massive lack of umbrellas and as it's so hot you will need one!
Food, yes lots of choice but soo repetitive there's only so many sauces you can put on beef! And the a'lacart restaurants are hard to get in, in 2 weeks we only managed to get into 2 of them.
Evening shows are awful we we're in bed by 10:30 most nights the shows are unbearable after 10mins and none of them start until 9:45 which we found quite late.
Constant harassment from the 2 photographer ladies that would sweep the hotel all day and night and bother you no matter what you were doing, eating, sleeping, talking, drinking anything they would just interrupt and then tut if you say no.
Locals trying to sell you items all day they would walk up and down the beach trying to sell all sorts of tat and we even got offered drugs from a man selling "cigars" we mentions this to a member of staff and the reply we got was "yeh it's natural everyone knows!" We were gob smacked!
Lifts were horrible to wait for we were on the 12 floor and by the time the lift finally got to us we were hot and sweaty because the corridors by the rooms so not have air con. Most nights going up from the lobby would be a large que for the lifts.

Tips:
Email the hotel prior to traveling requesting a higher floor the view is worth it and if it's a special occasion email that to. I did and we got a room upgrade to the 12th floor with a room with a double balcony and queensize bed and champagne and chocolates on arrival.
If you can take all pesos we took dollars and pesos because our agent said so and we found we got a better deal with pesos and was easier to haggle with.
Tip a waiter at the start of your holiday in the lobby, pool area and restaurant and the will go out of there way to serve you for the rest of your holiday! Your glass will never be empty!

Overall although this hotel is very nice and stands out from the rest unfortunately the negatives out way the positives and I genuinely don't think this hotel is 5star especially after staying for 2 weeks a lot of things become very tedious.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Saamthomaas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!