Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Dos Playas Beach House(Cancun)
  • Pool
Grand Oasis Palm(Cancun)
  • Beachfront
Oasis Palm(Cancun)
5,586 results
All reviewsvip restaurantadult villassports barcappuccino barspecialty restaurantsjacuzzi on the balconykrystal restauranttamalessteakadults only sectionocean viewisla mujeresdays in advancemain buildingmain buffetliquor dispenserbeach area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was my girlfriend and I's first trip outside the U.S., and it exceeded our expectations. I cant stress enough how incredible this hotel was, from the second we got there. We asked the front desk to upgrade our room, and they gave us several option across the hotel to pick from. We chose the villa (they have 3 separate from the main hotel) which included a king size bed, private pool, private bar, and private restaurant. Also, no children allowed in this area!! great if you're trying to relax. The private bar takes drink orders while you're in the pool so you never have to get up. The rooms, grounds, bathrooms, everywhere was spotless and clean. The staff was constantly cleaning and up keeping the area. The restaurants were some of the best food we've ever tasted. The Italian restaurant and buffet are available without reservations, but the Japanese, steak house, gourmet, Mexican, and private all require one. Another benefit of the villa room, you can simply call customer service at 8AM and schedule your reservation 2 days in advance. This was more convenient then having to walk to the lobby like other people. Some people complained about having to get up early on vacation to do this, but we liked it because it gave us a reason to get up early and enjoy every minute in Cancun! Don't sleep away your vacation! They had several bars throughout the hotel, including a sports bar that was open 24/7 and had snacks available at all times. The pool bar was cool as well and quite enjoyable. The only negative things I could say, which are very minor, is that the villa did not have an elevator. It was only 3 levels but an elevator would have been convenient. Also, if you wanted to use water equipment you had to walk down the beach to the next door hotel Riu Caribbe. Not a big deal it wasn't too far, but less convenient. They had jet ski, snorkel adventure, and parasailing on site as well that you had to pay for. 50-65$ for most. The snorkel adventure isn't worth it just go to Xel Ha park instead. The crew that took us out were great and helpful, but there weren't as many fish to look at. The steak restaurant had the best NY strip I've ever tasted, and my girlfriends lobster there was delicious as well. Again, the food was incredible, so many options all on site. You honestly don't even need to leave this resort if you don't want to. It has all you need. They also have ping pong for free, but you need to pay for billiards, air hockey, foosball. They have a daycare area and painting room for all ages which we wish we would have done. I would also recommend bringing extra cash with you, we ran out of U.S. dollars after we booked our excursions and it was very difficult dealing with the peso exchange rates. Plus you have to pay a fee at the ATM. Be smart, book your excursions on credit card, and leave cash for yourself. You will also be tipping people, so having change is important. You don't have to tip, but we felt rude not to. The staff works so hard they deserve something extra. We tipped as many people as we could afford, from drivers to staff. The service is amazing to a point where as soon as your drink is halfway done, they come and fill it back up. We felt like celebrities. Important to also note the spa is quite expensive, 50 and up for a massage. Also, try out the cafe' in the lobby, when you have down time its a great view to relax and get some energy before starting your night. The dinner times for reservations are only 6:30 or 8:45 unless you go to buffet or Italian. After that, the hotel puts on shows. Live music followed by an attraction. They did Michael Jackson one night, rock of ages, a mayan show, crowd interaction. These were fun and much better then going to the crowded bars outside the resort like coco bongo. unless of course your looking to party hard, they have plenty of clubs and bars in the area, but again be aware we were told they were crowded to a point of discomfort. The rooms were very modern and new as well, we loved our hot tub on the balcony we used it everyday. Mini fridge service everyday and towels constantly brought to your room. The staff busts their butts for you. If you get room service, order it an hour before you plan on eating, because it does take some time on a busy night which is understandable. The beach and ocean is warm and beautiful, great scenery to take pictures. The staff puts on a beach party on the weekend with fire dancers. Awesome time, we spent weeks trying to pick a hotel and am relieved we went with Riu Palace Peninsula. I hope this review helps, because I can assure you, you wont regret choosing this hotel.

Room Tip: Villas are more private
14  Thank James A
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband, younger brother, older brother and his family stayed here in early August. My husband and I had stayed at the Riu Caribe just next door twice before and loved it so we decided to splurge and go for the Riu Palace Peninsula. We just knew that we were going to love this place so much more, unfortunately we did not. It's not a bad resort, the amenities are really nice and had everything gone smoothly my review would be much different, however; I can only review based on my experience. We arrived early Sunday morning and were told our rooms would not be ready until 3:30 but that we could go ahead and use a changing/shower area to freshen up and enjoy the rest of the amenities. We lounged around the pool for 5 hours and went back to get our rooms around 3:15. Once again we were told they were not ready and it would be another hour and a half and we would be on the 6th floor. I told them that we had requested higher level floors and they gave us a room on the 8th floor. My husband and I were sharing a room with my younger brother and were appalled when we saw there were only 2 twin sized beds in the room even though we had booked a room for 3 adults, my husband slept on the floor the first night. Later on that first day we returned to our room to find another family trying to go into our room because they had been given our room number as well, we all go downstairs since our key cards no longer worked and after a few minutes someone who looked to be in charge advised the person helping us to just reactivate our cards and let us go on, they would find the other family another room. Went to bed that night and woke up to a huge water puddle in our room coming from the AC, later that day our safe stopped working and the Jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room sprayed water all over the place when we turned it on. I will say that the staff was very quick to fix everything and bring an extra bed, but when I paid more money to stay here than I would have at Riu Caribe I would expect none of this to happen. Aside from all of these mishaps in our room the resort was nice but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra splurge. The food at the buffet (especially breakfast) was somewhat lacking and we spent a lot of meals at the buffet and pizza bar next door. Also, the liveliness at the pool was so much better next door. If you are young, single, and looking for fun head to the pool next door, the last two days of our visit the majority of our party was at the other resort. Even the kids (9 and 5) said they would have rather stayed next door.This is not a bad resort and given the other reviews I think we may have just caught some bad luck; given all the mishaps I would still recommend this place and hope you have the great experiences everyone else seems to have had here. It all comes down to what you are looking for, if you want a laid back, somewhat more luxury holiday go to Riu Palace Peninsula; if you want to party and be loud stay next door or stay at Riu Palace Peninsula and head over to the Caribe (Palace guests can go to the Caribe but Caribe guests cannot go to the Palace).

Room Tip: For a more quiet room try to get one on the side away from the theater.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank IPP2013
Reviewed 11 August 2014

wow what a great vacation we stayed in the villas in a suite well worth the few extra dollars great (adults only) private pool. Amazing service,food and drinks well the hard working people of riu palace make you feel like a king.The restaurants were all top notch. we had dinner in all and every meal was very very good . The buffet is unbelievable(Thurs Night Seafood)had great lobsters shrimp and also great steaks The hosts work so hard to make you happy. Roberto treated my family like they were his own great servers like marlene alexandro made our trip so easy to enjoy

Room Tip: spend the extra money and get a villa if you want private pool
3  Thank robanddeb8414
Reviewed 11 August 2014

First time visiting Cancun with my girlfriend and chose to stay at this all-inclusive resort. We stayed for 14 nights from the 25th July.

The hotel is stunning and the staff are very pleasant. The rooms are immaculately clean, the food is good, and the service is out of this world.

On arrival we had a free room upgrade which was a pleasant surprise giving us a better view of the sea and a kingsize bed. I noticed the fridge was not working in the room and informed reception and withing 10 minutes we had a new fridge in the room. First Class service.

Entertainment during the day was excellent which was continued late into the evening. These guys work very very hard to keep everyone fully entertained at all times.

We spent most of our afternoons on the beach or in the pool, drinks in hand.The waiters here work so hard to provide a top class service for you.

The hotel is about a 5 minute bus/taxi ride away from all the main nightlife in cancun which was perfect.

Will be visiting again in the near future.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the more spectacular the view of the ocean is!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SamuelM90
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just returned from this beautiful Resort. and all my wife and I have to say is Great Place!
as soon as you arrive they take care of you. if there is a line at check in be paitient, it will soon be your turn.
We stayed in the Villas,( 3rd floor nice view, but after a day of drinking, those stairs become tiring.)
and the xtra money was worth it. an area where no children are allowed, towel card not really needed, your own private area with your own bar, and waiters. Fernando was great at what he does. you don't have to get up early in the morning to save a lounge chair or the outside day beds. pool is beautiful and warm.
the resturants were wonderful and every employee there is helpful and attentive.
the place is always being cleaned. just look above your head and I dare you to find any dirt!
the maids are quiet, honest and very professional. your room stays cleaned and bed turned down.
you don't have to tip, but I pass $2 here and there. and at the end of the trip I know who really took care of us an rewarded them in kind.
10 all around except it could use a small disco area somewhere in the building. don't get me wrong, during the day they have pool games and contest and at nite there was always some kind of show. but a lot of families were there with children of all ages, RIUart for younger kids, and also teens. but later if you are in your 20's the shows are kinda boring, and I also need some music from 2014 jamming late nite! without going downtown.
they have a cappuchino bar. OMG great iced coffee and lattes. Sports bar always have snacks all nite.
I even contacted the conseior before my visit and told them my wife's birthday was yesterday, and without NO XTRA CHARGE they placed rose petals on the bed on top of a swan made out of the towles and chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne in our room.
getting downtown was safe and only cost $1 on the R2 bus. also went to the wallmart on the bus.
THIS IS A 5 STAR

Room Tip: Don't listen to those haters get a Villa. I suggest on the 1st floor
9  Thank MrC088