“Stayed here twice. This place is the best! I will return again!”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #20 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
kent
“Stayed here twice. This place is the best! I will return again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've nothing negative to say about this hotel at all. Absolutely perfect. I don't know how anyone can say bad things about this place. Third time to cancun but will definitely be coming back to this hotel if we return. The staff can't do enough for you, not one bad experience in the 2 weeks we were there. Customer service at its best. The hotel was immaculate and all day you see staff cleaning, over and over again. They really do go all out. People saying the beach is a bit small, it may be compared to other hotels but there were always more then enough free sun beds. The food here is the best I've experienced at any 5 star hotel. So much to choose from and all cooked fresh in front of you.

Room Tip: I'm sure all have a good view but from speaking to other guests I wouldn't bother win the VI...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jones2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

A great hotel and an excellent location. The smal beach areas are well maintained and the waiters keep a constant sream of refreshments. We went all inclusive and couldn't fault the drinks and food. Excellent choice of restaurants - the Mexican is good fun - and a very nice menu to try out lots of different tastes. Staff were really helpful and warm. Rooms are a little clinical although we had a double double bed as we had our son with us in a separate single bed and so was very comfortable. Views are great and weather was superb. Probably not quite a 5 star but better than many European 4 stars!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AMASheffield
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is amazing... Everything I've ever dreamed of. I just got back from a 5 day stay here, and I miss it already. I traveled with two of my girlfriends and we all had a great time. This review is a little long but I want to be as detailed as possible.

Check In:
Super fast, we were brought cold drinks while checking in. I loved the fact that the lobby is air conditioned. The customer service here is excellent. We were catered to from the time we arrived to the time we left. From the bell boy (Alex, I think his name was) to the receptionist, to the bartender who brought our first drinks... they were all wonderful to us.

Room:
We booked a Jr Suite. Although our room was on the first floor, the view was breathtaking.. I was actually surprised at how high up it was. Our room was right above the theater which was somewhat loud at night, but we didn't mind because we could watch the shows right from our balcony.

Property:
Gorgeous.. Very clean, inside and out. Including each of the restaurants we visited. The plants and lawn were well kept. You can tell the staff works very hard to maintain the property to keep it at it's best. Someone was always mowing the lawn, watering plants, trimming hedges, mopping, sweeping, etc.

Pool/Beach:
There are a number of pools. I read a lot of reviews and saw many complaints about the pool water being warm (which it was) but I'm a beach bum so the warm pool water didn't bother me. I didn't swim in any of them except for the one with the swim up bar.. I spent most of my time enjoying the beach.

White sand.. clear blue water. Gorgeous. You can see little fish swimming right by your feet. The beach wraps around the hotel, One side is very rocky while the other is not. Both sides are beautiful. Whichever side you choose to lounge on is based on personal preference. I myself enjoyed both. Either way, there are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for everyone.
We also had access to the beach next door at their sister property (Riu Caribe). Both are immaculate beaches. Another thing that I loved is that there was always a bartender walking around ready to bring you a refreshing drink. They cannot please you enough here.

Entertainment:
The Riu staff does a good job entertaining guests by the pool. Our second day at RPP we participated in the "Sports Olympics" which consisted of water balloon volleyball, tug of war, and a few relay races. Fun, fun, fun.

Food:
Overall It was pretty good. We got the chance to enjoy 4 of the 6 restaurants. Two of which you do not need to make reservations for.

Las Olas- (No Reservation) The breakfast buffet was yummy. Every morning I got an omelet (made fresh), fresh fruit, sweet plantain, and bacon. They have a large selection of food as well as juices. there is something for everybody.

Italian- (No Reservation) The appetizer buffet was better than the main entrees. The spicy muscles were my personal favorite (one choice from the appetizer buffet) and my friend loved the veal (entree).

Mexican- Loved loved loved the tortilla soup.. everything else was... so, so. Nothing special. This was probably my least favorite of all of the places we dined during our stay. However, everyone working was extremely friendly, and entertaining.

Steak House- Phenomenal. My steak was cooked perfectly and the salmon was excellent.

*We made our reservations upon arrival. The restaurants fill up fast, so book as early as possible.

Bars/Drinks:
Drinks were very good. My favorites were the Mango Tangos and Mojitos.

Service:
Loved loved loved the bartenders! Although there was a small language barrier, the staff always tried their best to understand you and get you what you've asked of them. Caballero, Rudolfo, and Eduardo were especially good to us. Everyone was full of compliments and conversation. Overall, this place just has a great staff. We tipped each person about $2-5 dollars depending on the service given... but we always tipped. It feels better to do so. They work so hard here.

Excursions:
We booked jet skis and the boat trip to Isla Mujeres.
The trip to Isla Mujeres was booked right at the excursions counter in front of the beach through SAMBA and costs $60... with tax about $70ish. It includes an open bar on the boat, spinnaker (which is similar to parasailing) snorkeling, swimming with a whale shark, all you can eat lunch buffet and shopping. Seriously, it's worth every penny. They also have a photographer snapping pictures during the boat trip which are available for purchase later that day. I had a blast.

Bottom line, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. I loved it and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank LexFolarin
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We visited the Riu Palace Peninsula in May 14. The hotel is fantastic. We could not fault it whatsoever. Clean, tidy, perfect service. Certainly exceeded our expectations.
We didnt have great weather but the hotel staff were great at keeping you entertained indoors in torrential rain.
Rooms on the 10th floor plus provide the best views. If you're going with Thompson you will be but on a lower floor - request a higher floor as you check in. Apparently this is an upgrade but the staff may provide it for free.
Due to the rain we did a kitchen tour. This is fab. Champagne, freshly made seafood platter by the head chef. It's not for everyone but will give you some comfort knowing how clean the kitchen is.

Loved every second of the Riu Palace . Definatley going back!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heather B
Solna, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Staying in the Adult/VIP area is okay with a large pool without children. The other pool areas is to crowded and have just a few sun umbrellas. The buffet food are alright and what you may expect at a hotel in this class. The main problem at this hotel are the 'special restaurants' for which you have to make reservations. Their menus/food are terrible. They also want to make a fool of you; You order a special wine or a special Tequila and they give you something completely different (worse/cheaper). It is really annoying that you have to make them aware you notice the difference...
In total, the hotel are to big and not personally...

Room Tip: If you want a really good beach you should look at Playa del Carmen instead
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PAE55
Tulsa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed 7/7/14 – 7/14/14

Check-In: Greeted with a welcome drink. Arrived before 3:00 PM & didn’t expect the room to be ready, but it was. The Front Desk staff were nice, efficient, and friendly.

Room: Ocean Front Deluxe King. Prior to our trip, I read several reviews that mentioned a higher-level room was preferred. Our 3rd floor room, #307 was AMAZING! Our view was incredible – view of the pools, ocean, hotel zone & the lagoon. The balcony was a large wrap around with a Jacuzzi facing the ocean. Inside the room included; king bed, sitting area, large bathroom with double sinks, separate shower, separate restroom, and yet another Jacuzzi tub. A couple of minor issues with the refrigerator not being refilled, additional towels needed and initially no bathrooms, but these issues were promptly resolved by a call to the front desk. Several days we received towel art & animals. Several other days there were rose petals and other flowers specially displayed on our bed. Very beautiful touch by the Riu.

Restaurants: Specialty restaurants do require reservations, so try to make them upon arrival. We primarily ate at the buffet because of the wide variety and good tasting food. The buffet has a theme each evening, but there are also alternatives available that are not related to the theme. Just to name a few, Thursday was lobster night and Saturday was sushi night. We ended up cancelling our reservation at the Japanese restaurant because the buffet was that good. We ate every lunch poolside. Everyday something different was being served. It ranged from ceviche, grilled chicken, grilled beef, tacos, etc. It all was very good. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and should be able to accommodate any guest.

Pools: Pool with swim-up bar, activity pool and infinity pool were all very nice. The villas have a private pool, but their pool appeared empty all week. My only gripe in this area is the lack of nearby bathrooms. While I didn’t have a problem walking up to the main building to use the restroom, I observed many guests in the swim-up pool who didn’t move for hours while drinking.

Beach: The beach to the North has the better swimming area. There were plenty of loungers and umbrellas. The East side beach had rock stairs leading down to the beach, but they were not a problem for us. We preferred the East side beach because it had a larger stretch of beach and a good view.

Towel game: Definitely in full force. I do not blame the hotel for this, but rather inconsiderate guests. We witnessed loungers being “held” for hours with toys, suntan lotion, hats, etc. Since our trip was during the hottest season, afternoon shade was greatly needed. We were unsuccessful seeking shade primarily due to these lounge hoggers. However, I would suggest the hotel provide additional umbrellas by the pools.

Bar service: Great in all areas. Whether it is the pool, beach, or inside lounge, all drinks were good and quickly delivered.

Concierge: I can’t say enough good things about this department! It was my Birthday and our Wedding Anniversary. My husband arranged through the Concierge for a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to our room. The arrangement was huge; 17 roses and 17 lilies (we’ve be been together 17 years). Absolutely gorgeous! They also sent chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of tequila to the room. Very classy, Riu!

Grounds: Very clean. Workers constantly mopping, planting flowers, washing windows, etc.

Coffee Bar: Strong coffee. Tasty afternoon treats and sandwiches. Yummy frozen coffee drinks.

Nightlife: We saw a couple of shows in the theater. They were ok, just not really our cup of tea. Many guests went on nighttime outings to places like Coco Bongo, etc. and said they had a great time. We didn’t partake, because we’ve done that on prior trips.

Spa: I had a very nice and relaxing massage. Didn’t observe any hydrotherapy, saunas or steam rooms. The spa is located behind the front desk reception area.

Gym: Enter through the spa area. It had a couple of elliptical machines, treadmills and free- weights. Basic small gym, but served its purpose. Due to its location, don’t expect a view while working out.

Since home, I’ve read reviews about the camera girls being harassing. A few times I found them annoying, but it was because I wasn’t in the mood for my picture being taken. However, I was ready one afternoon on the beach. I have to tell you, the pictures taken were the BEST I have ever had done. She instructed me on how to pose which made ALL the difference in the world. We also had several taken before our Anniversary dinner. Thinking back, I wished I had been agreeable to more. We purchased several, and can’t wait to frame them.

We’ve stayed at many Cancun all-inclusive resorts over the years. We’ve stayed at 3 star to 5 star resorts. We’re giving this resort a 5 star. Every staff member we encountered was professional, friendly, and eager to please us. We would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Any questions, just send me a message.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank SoonerFan#1
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I got back yesterday from a weeklong stay here, and I must say I was very very very impressed! There were a few minor issues (like all places I suppose,) but I'll try to provide a balanced review for anyone looking to stay here!

One of the nicest things about this hotel is the large variety of food available. The buffets are always a dependable source of quality eating.
The breakfast buffet, although basic, has excellent pastries and a nice variety of basic breakfasts. Try all the juices! 3.5/5
The lunch buffet is by far the superior buffet - as far as I could tell, it was basically whatever leftovers the main restaurants had served again in new forms. Check the salad bar for things like crab legs, seaweed salad, and caviar! 4.5/5
The dinner buffet is also very nice, and it changes every day. We ate there once, while they were serving japanese food, and they made the sushi with SMOKED fish. Definitely an unpleasant experience, however, everything else was well-made and tasty. 3.5/5

There are five normal restaurants on the grounds, and four of them require reservations 2-3 days in advance.
The Italian place doesn't require reservations, but it was definitely the most mediocre food I had in the hotel. The appetizer buffet was pretty alright, but the actual food was just...eh. It wasn't terrible, and the service was excellent, like everywhere else on the grounds, but you can skip this one without any problem. 2.5/5
The fusion restaurant was my personal favorite! It requires a reservation, but the food was delicious and well-worth the slight hassle. The ambience is really unique, and they even give you foie gras! 5/5
The Mexican restaurant is less formal than the other three, but the food was also wonderful, and it has the fastest service out of the reservation-only restaurants. Don't make the mistake I did and stuff yourself at the appetizer buffet before your main course arrives - so much delicious pain. Still worth it. 4.5/5
The steakhouse is where the lunch buffet usually is (if you don't know this, you'll end up like my family and walk around for twenty minutes looking for it) and has delicious burgers, The salad they start you off with, however, isn't nearly as nice as whatever other restaurants offer before the appetizer. 4.5/5
After the sushi horror story from the buffet, I was skeptical about the Japanese restaurant, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rice isn't quite sushi standard, and the ramen used skinny thai noodles instead of thick ramen ones, but accuracy aside, it was absolutely delicious - even the sushi! My second favorite. 4.5/5
As I was unable to enjoy the alcohol services, I can't really give too much of a review of the bars, aside from the fact that the bartenders are always friendly and willing to accommodate you. The coffee bar in the main lobby has delicious cappuccinos - but it only opens at 10:00 AM! A sad story for early risers, but for an afternoon coffee it has wonderful ambience to just sit down with a good book and relax. 5/5

Grounds
The identification bracelet you're given when you check in gives you access to not only this hotel's beach, but the neighborhooding Riu's beach as well, where all the watersports are. The beach is REALLY nice - smooth white sand, an abundance of loungers, beachside drink service, and clear water with almost no waves and small coral formations where fish swim. If you go and explore the rocks in the middle, you'll find a family of giant black spiny-tailed iguanas living there! Pretty cool. 5/5. The pools were nice to look at, but always incredibly crowded, and they dump in chlorine by the bucketful. We decided to stay out, but it seems to be the most popular area for Americans, meaning the beach was never too crowded for us! The watersports are slightly misleading - very few are actually free, as you need lessons for windsurfing, the catamarans, and everything but the kayaks and stand-up paddleboards. Everything has a uniform price of $65 for an hour of instruction or use (except the jet skis, which only go for half an hour) but after a lesson you can take out the catamarans and windsurfing boards for an hour at a time for free. 4/5

Rooms
The most disappointing aspect of this trip. After exploring the hotel and finally getting our room (junior suite,) we were honestly surprised at the lower quality. Maybe we were spoiled after only staying in five-star Vegas hotels, but there is no separate bathroom, only a curtain for the bathtub/jacuzzi and shower area, and the actual toilet room had no fan, air conditioning, or even a trash can, meaning smells would never go away. Whatever they use to mop the floors leaves them sticky and slippery even after they dry, and the beds...I barely got any sleep and always woke up with an aching back. They're hard with cheap pillows and just all-around disappointing. If you do get a junior suite, keep in mind that the beds are not two queens as advertized, but closer to American full. We ended up pushing the two together and had them carry up a cot and a small mattress for me (which they did quickly and without complaint.) The room service was excellent, and the refill the mini refrigerator every day with the beverages of your choice, as well as the liquor cabinet. The balcony was excellent - wonderful views over the pools and onto the ocean. All around the room wasn't awful, but far lower than the quality of the rest of the hotel. If you don't have a teenager like myself along, I would guess that the villas are a worthwhile investment to make, with the added bonus of a private restaurant and quiet pool. 2.5/5

Extras
We only partook in one extra activity, a snorkeling excursion to two coral reefs and a shipwreck. It was $55 a head, but definitely worth it! They take you out on a small boat and even have their own photographer with a GoPro who you have the option to get the pictures from afterwards. Lots of cool sea life and friendly, energetic staff! 5/5. The wifi is a little confusing, but once you manage to connect, there's pretty decent service in most parts of the hotel, including rooms.

The service in this hotel was exemplary. All the staff are friendly and helpful, and the service is faster than any other hotel I've stayed in, from room service to waiters. Some of them don't understand English too well, so please don't be that one family in the lobby screaming at a poor maid (not even a room service person) that she didn't bring up an extra towel. If you're patient, they're always willing to listen and help you. The front desk isn't always very helpful and sometimes doesn't care, but customer service will always do their best to help you (they're in the small desk to the left of the reception desk by the front doors.) 4.5/5

All in all, this hotel was a wonderful experience with slightly below-standard rooms. They're livable, but not up to how nice the rest of the hotel is. A solid four-star hotel with great food.

Room Tip: All rooms but some of the suites face the ocean - the bay/mangrove on the other side isn't as ni...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Janice R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
#47 of 182 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,276 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!