“amazing holiday”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Hotel is huge, spotless and will recommend it to everyone! I stayed for 2 weeks at this hotel food and drinks are amazing! so much to chose from.
It is not walking distance to the town but can easily get taxis or the bus only 5 minutes in a car will only cost $12 to the town and $15 to the shopping center.

Entertainment is on every night however where it is the room is far too hot to sit in so we stayed at the bar where Deigo worked. He was the nicest bar man i have ever met and made our holiday, all the staff work so hard over there and are so helpful! Any drink that you needed even if it wasn't on the menu Deigo would make it perfect for us! Was really helpful providing us with all information about cancun itself and making us feel so welcome.

Rooms were spotless and the beds are so comfortable, rooms are cleaned twice a day in the morning and night just after you go out for food, room service was great and a lot to chose from.

Entertainment staff was always busy around the pool getting everyone involved in the games which was good, however there are different pools where you can sunbath at if you just was to relax.

Would go back to the hotel and stay again! Loved it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Georgia P
Write a ReviewReviews (5,342)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just spent one full week in mid August at this resort and it is better than expected ! The resort is new and very clean from the huge cold beautiful lobby to every room is ocean view mini to full suit.
The food are excellent at buffet and very good at all specialty restaurants. They have lobsters buffet diner on thursday nights. All staff employees are very nice and did a good job all the time.
The pools are crowded except the adult only pool. The beach is so beautiful and clean with crystal clear water. We are definitely looking forward to come back again here in the future ...

Room Tip: Higher floors on the restaurants side or the adult only area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fred007_10
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've nothing negative to say about this hotel at all. Absolutely perfect. I don't know how anyone can say bad things about this place. Third time to cancun but will definitely be coming back to this hotel if we return. The staff can't do enough for you, not one bad experience in the 2 weeks we were there. Customer service at its best. The hotel was immaculate and all day you see staff cleaning, over and over again. They really do go all out. People saying the beach is a bit small, it may be compared to other hotels but there were always more then enough free sun beds. The food here is the best I've experienced at any 5 star hotel. So much to choose from and all cooked fresh in front of you.

Room Tip: I'm sure all have a good view but from speaking to other guests I wouldn't bother win the VI...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jones2009
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A great hotel and an excellent location. The smal beach areas are well maintained and the waiters keep a constant sream of refreshments. We went all inclusive and couldn't fault the drinks and food. Excellent choice of restaurants - the Mexican is good fun - and a very nice menu to try out lots of different tastes. Staff were really helpful and warm. Rooms are a little clinical although we had a double double bed as we had our son with us in a separate single bed and so was very comfortable. Views are great and weather was superb. Probably not quite a 5 star but better than many European 4 stars!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AMASheffield
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is amazing... Everything I've ever dreamed of. I just got back from a 5 day stay here, and I miss it already. I traveled with two of my girlfriends and we all had a great time. This review is a little long but I want to be as detailed as possible.

Check In:
Super fast, we were brought cold drinks while checking in. I loved the fact that the lobby is air conditioned. The customer service here is excellent. We were catered to from the time we arrived to the time we left. From the bell boy (Alex, I think his name was) to the receptionist, to the bartender who brought our first drinks... they were all wonderful to us.

Room:
We booked a Jr Suite. Although our room was on the first floor, the view was breathtaking.. I was actually surprised at how high up it was. Our room was right above the theater which was somewhat loud at night, but we didn't mind because we could watch the shows right from our balcony.

Property:
Gorgeous.. Very clean, inside and out. Including each of the restaurants we visited. The plants and lawn were well kept. You can tell the staff works very hard to maintain the property to keep it at it's best. Someone was always mowing the lawn, watering plants, trimming hedges, mopping, sweeping, etc.

Pool/Beach:
There are a number of pools. I read a lot of reviews and saw many complaints about the pool water being warm (which it was) but I'm a beach bum so the warm pool water didn't bother me. I didn't swim in any of them except for the one with the swim up bar.. I spent most of my time enjoying the beach.

White sand.. clear blue water. Gorgeous. You can see little fish swimming right by your feet. The beach wraps around the hotel, One side is very rocky while the other is not. Both sides are beautiful. Whichever side you choose to lounge on is based on personal preference. I myself enjoyed both. Either way, there are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for everyone.
We also had access to the beach next door at their sister property (Riu Caribe). Both are immaculate beaches. Another thing that I loved is that there was always a bartender walking around ready to bring you a refreshing drink. They cannot please you enough here.

Entertainment:
The Riu staff does a good job entertaining guests by the pool. Our second day at RPP we participated in the "Sports Olympics" which consisted of water balloon volleyball, tug of war, and a few relay races. Fun, fun, fun.

Food:
Overall It was pretty good. We got the chance to enjoy 4 of the 6 restaurants. Two of which you do not need to make reservations for.

Las Olas- (No Reservation) The breakfast buffet was yummy. Every morning I got an omelet (made fresh), fresh fruit, sweet plantain, and bacon. They have a large selection of food as well as juices. there is something for everybody.

Italian- (No Reservation) The appetizer buffet was better than the main entrees. The spicy muscles were my personal favorite (one choice from the appetizer buffet) and my friend loved the veal (entree).

Mexican- Loved loved loved the tortilla soup.. everything else was... so, so. Nothing special. This was probably my least favorite of all of the places we dined during our stay. However, everyone working was extremely friendly, and entertaining.

Steak House- Phenomenal. My steak was cooked perfectly and the salmon was excellent.

*We made our reservations upon arrival. The restaurants fill up fast, so book as early as possible.

Bars/Drinks:
Drinks were very good. My favorites were the Mango Tangos and Mojitos.

Service:
Loved loved loved the bartenders! Although there was a small language barrier, the staff always tried their best to understand you and get you what you've asked of them. Caballero, Rudolfo, and Eduardo were especially good to us. Everyone was full of compliments and conversation. Overall, this place just has a great staff. We tipped each person about $2-5 dollars depending on the service given... but we always tipped. It feels better to do so. They work so hard here.

Excursions:
We booked jet skis and the boat trip to Isla Mujeres.
The trip to Isla Mujeres was booked right at the excursions counter in front of the beach through SAMBA and costs $60... with tax about $70ish. It includes an open bar on the boat, spinnaker (which is similar to parasailing) snorkeling, swimming with a whale shark, all you can eat lunch buffet and shopping. Seriously, it's worth every penny. They also have a photographer snapping pictures during the boat trip which are available for purchase later that day. I had a blast.

Bottom line, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. I loved it and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank LexFolarin
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited the Riu Palace Peninsula in May 14. The hotel is fantastic. We could not fault it whatsoever. Clean, tidy, perfect service. Certainly exceeded our expectations.
We didnt have great weather but the hotel staff were great at keeping you entertained indoors in torrential rain.
Rooms on the 10th floor plus provide the best views. If you're going with Thompson you will be but on a lower floor - request a higher floor as you check in. Apparently this is an upgrade but the staff may provide it for free.
Due to the rain we did a kitchen tour. This is fab. Champagne, freshly made seafood platter by the head chef. It's not for everyone but will give you some comfort knowing how clean the kitchen is.

Loved every second of the Riu Palace . Definatley going back!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Staying in the Adult/VIP area is okay with a large pool without children. The other pool areas is to crowded and have just a few sun umbrellas. The buffet food are alright and what you may expect at a hotel in this class. The main problem at this hotel are the 'special restaurants' for which you have to make reservations. Their menus/food are terrible. They also want to make a fool of you; You order a special wine or a special Tequila and they give you something completely different (worse/cheaper). It is really annoying that you have to make them aware you notice the difference...
In total, the hotel are to big and not personally...

Room Tip: If you want a really good beach you should look at Playa del Carmen instead
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple