“Excellent service, terrible food!”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel has a beautiful beach & great rooms! We were very happy with our stay for 7 days. Very clean, lots of fun activities, amazing staff who went above & beyond everyday. I had a great time and we loved being treated so good every single day. What disappointed me was the place where we set up activities, it's to the left as soon as you enter the glass doors. We were told we could have coupons for Señor Frogs and Carlos & Charley's when we planning on going but when I went to counter to get BOGO coupon I was told no coupons after 4pm. Not nice! Lastly what was by far the biggest disappointment was the food, it's awful! Absolutely repulsive!
Thankful for Pedro, awesome bartender who let me create my own cocktail The Caribe.
Robert from the restaurant in the lobby is awesome, so nice & made ever dinner worth going too!
Michael at the outside bar made us so many cocktails, thanks for keeping us drunk!
Guadalupe was so nice & helpful every Morning at breakfast.
Oscar at the beach cabana, so nice & attentive.
Lastly my absolute favorite staff member, Ever. Ever went above & beyond every single day to make my day awesome! He treated me like I was the only one the beach & catered to me all day long. The best server, Ever made my vacation fabulous & treated me like I wish my husband would! Ever remembered my drinks & snacks, keep my drinks coming all day long, I was never w/o a cocktail and would bring me lunch to my cabana on a breakfast tray with all the fixings & napkin. Grateful for this vacation & the amazing staff who's service was so good I didn't care the food was so bad.

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We travel to Cancun every year and most years stay at Sunset Royal. I can't say enough about our waiter Guadalupe. Each day he would greet us with a smile, remember what our preferences were (table of 9) and could not have been more accomodating to our needs. Look forward to seeing him next year.

At poolside we were lucky enough to see our favorite bartender, Michael. Michael had always worked at the inside bar and made our evenings wonderful with his great service. Although he was at the outside bar, his service was excellent, hope next year he is inside again. My husband, John, missed Michael at the inside bar in the evenings.

The entertainment crew of Yair, Marisol, Ter and Arturo made for fun filled days by the pool or in the evening at the shows.

Thanks everyone for a great week - I have travelled many places, but the service by the Sunset Royal team can't be beat.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! See you next year!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The staff are fantastic. I strongly recommend the 2hour massage with
Irma Ramos. The accommodation are spacious and clean,even though construction was happening on the floor below it never really interfered with our holiday. Great time

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. A one bedroom is much better than a studio, you will enjoy the extra space
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We were upgraded from the Laguna Spa and Suites to this hotel and ended up very happy! The building is a bit older but the service and ammenities were incredible! This all-inclusive resort really delivered. We were there in mid-November. The occupancy was low and the weather was perfect! The food was all great. Our server Guadalupe was a great friend by the end of our trip. The drinks never ended! Bartenders were wonderful. The pool was a bit understated but was perfect temp and had volleyball. The activity directors were great help (my wife is still talking about Guilermo). The beach was immaculate! A nice walk up (as well as wondering servers) bar there was convenient. The hotel was located within a short walk to the downtown, about a 4 minute walk to Senior Froggies and a ten minute walk to the Mall and bar scene from the hotel door. This is very convenient. The hotel and rooms were very clean. We were offered access and services at other Sunset Member Hotels in the area but never felt the need to leave. Overall, this place was a cherry on top of our vacation. I should say though that we stayed on a promotion package through Cancun Vacations that only cost about $ 1,150.00 for 6 days and 5 nights and we were submitted to a 4.5 hour sales presentation to buy in. They did serve breakfast and drinks at this presentation. We did not purchase as we do not like to be tied to one location.

Room Tip: Our room was on the lagoon side on the fourth floor. Room #401. Only rooms on the lagoon side have o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank S
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Angel provided excellent service at the Aquarium Restaurant. Joaquina was great in cleaning our room we always looked forward to see which towel design she did every day.

We had a fabulous time. The nightly show were very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A great time was had by all. The entire staff was wonderful and very professional. From the wait staff of Sammy & Guadalupe, the housecleaning staff of Geny, and the entertainment crew of Yair, Marisol, Ter, and Arturo our thanks to you. The poolside wait staff was also excellent. Very seldom did we ever wait for service. The resort was very clean, and well maintained. Thank you to ALL of the staff at The Sunset Royal Resort for making our vacation a special one!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank for your review on TripAdvisor! We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to express our sincerest gratitude for the compliments you have given to our amazing team members.

We hope to see you again very soon at Sunset Royal.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had fantastic time during our week at the resort. Our favorite meal of the day was breakfast which was made extra special by our waiter Guadalupe. Every morning he would look for us and remembered all of our preferences. We had a great time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the kind words on TripAdvisor.

We are so thrilled to see that our team members left such a positive impression with you, specially Guadalupe.

We hope to see you back soon.