“Excellent Vacation!”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just returned from a week stay at the Sunset Royal Beach Resort. Had a great vacation!! Everyone was pleasant, including the transportation driver that picked us up at the airport. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by Arturo, who gave us mimosas and our AI wristbands. We were told to go have some breakfast and we were escorted to a restaurant that was a little on the warm side. Could definitely use some AC in here. Well, they were starting to close down breakfast and put out lunch, so this did drag on a bit, but once lunch was out, we were able to eat.

Our rooms were ready right after we ate, which was a huge plus so we were able to change and hit the beach!! We had an ocean view room on the 8th floor. Emilia, our room attendant, made sure our room was kept spotless the entire week. She even left cute little towel animals for us!

The beach is beautiful! Blue, clear water. No rocks, no seaweed. You can just walk out and not have any drop offs. Big pool and even though there were many people there the week we were there, we never felt crowded. Ample chairs, tables and lounge chairs.

A few people that deserve special mentioning: Eduardo Cruz worked both the outdoor bar as well as the bar in the lobby. Eduardo can make any drink you ask for! He was great!! Carlos Valencia took care of us while we were sitting on the beach one day. All day he made sure we were well taken care of. The most special mention goes out to Jose Argaez. Jose took care of us the very first day we were on the beach and always came back to check on us. Throughout the week, Jose would always say hello and ask us if we needed anything, even if we were not sitting in his area. He was always smiling! These 3 gentlemen went above and beyond to make our vacation the best it could be! I cannot thank them enough!!

We did have issues with the safe that was in the room, but every time there was an issue, we called down to the front desk and within minutes there was someone at the door to fix it. This did however become a nuisance but if that is my only complaint, then I guess I can live with it.

We used the concierge to book a package to go to Carlos n' Charlies and Coco Bongos. I can now say, been there, done that. I would not go back to Coco Bongos, but I would definitely go back to Carlos n' Charlies.

Overall, a great vacation! I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lisa m
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for your kind and detailed review on your recent visit with us at Sunset Royal.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially the service, and our beautiful beach. We take pride in our valuable staff and it is nice to know that our efforts result in positive effects for our guests.

We hope to welcome you again, next time you visit Cancun!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,376)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Disappointed with resort. Started with check-in. Paid extra to arrive early to start enjoying the beach, but waisted 4 and 1/2 hours with front desk staff, along with many other guests in the same situation as ourselves, checking in. Had to change rooms 3 times to find adequate quarters.

Found staff had difficult time with language/English barrier, uninformed, not helpful.
2 restaurants and 1 theater were all buffet, food was adequate. Grill by pool, OK.
Rooms were very dirty, the third room we ended up with, we realized had roaches.....don't want to even post pictures, floors were dirty, and towels were gray. Air conditioning, we'll not so good.

THE GOOD........ The beach was beautiful..........
Daniel, who conducted water aerobic class was great, Hector, in the lobby lounge was very friendly. Location......Great. Pool was vert nice. You had enough room, did not feel like you were on top of each other.......

Room Tip: Ok for low budget, and don't car if towels and rooms are not so clean!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan D

Thank you very much for your review; for us the guest´s opinion is essential in order to work hard and improve our quality.

We regret for for not being able to fulfill your expectations. I am addressing each of your concerns with our team and I assure you we are working diligently to make the necessary improvements.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and offer you a better vacation experience.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just used the beach and restaurants as we were booked in at their sister hotel 'Ocean spa hotel'. So I can't comment on the rooms or anything normal guests would have experienced.

Took the free shuttle bus here, mainly for the beach which is the best in the sunset group of hotels. Nice beach, very nice beach. Beautiful water. Seems like an expensive hotel to stay at, but having that beach on your doorstep is probably worth it!

The pool area was quite packed, and was extremely hot there with little shade (maybe you have to be be up at 6am for a good spot!) Nice big pool though.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Damien T

We are delighted you had the opportunity to visit sister property Sunset Royal and we appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you back on your next vacation in Cancun.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I got a friends & family offer to stay here and had to attend a meeting. Initially we were promised WiFi which was very important as we needed to stay in touch with our kids back home. We found out that it was not available to "non-members" which was a huge disappointment to me, as I felt disconnected from my kids and homeland. We had to walk about 15 mins to a minimart to get an international calling card and ended up having to pay the hotel a connection fee each time we used it. The 2nd floor which we were booked on, the rooms are horrible, old and smelly. In desperate need of an upgrade. On the second day of our stay we were booked for the meeting at 8:30 am, after 6 hours we decided to purchase a timeshare and got an upgrade to the 9th "presidential floor", the room was nice, clean but horrible internet service. I had to go outside and in the main hotel downstairs to get any service.
The food and drinks were plentiful, but could have been of a slightly better quality. The location of this resort is the trump card, the beach is amazing! The beach beds were great and the waiters and waitresses were very hardworking.
Overall its a nice place, but just needs an upgrade to make all the rooms (members and non members) of a high enough quality so that travelers will want to recommend and revisit..

Room Tip: Higher floors are best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KathyPG
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Once again we would like to thank Guadalupa for excellent service in the Aquarium restaurant. We recommend the Jungle Tour and Coba Tour. Nightly entertainment excellent. We are members and love coming to the Sunset Royal our home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank natasha10_12
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Let me start by saying that we had a great time with family and friends despite the hotel experience.

I was lied to by so many of the staff it's hard to keep track. To begin with, the presentation, which is supposed to be between 90 and 120 minutes is wayyyyyy longer. They pick you up at 8:30 and do a check in for the tour. Then they tell you the time starts after breakfast, approximately 10:00 am. The tour itself is about 90 minutes but then comes the high pressure sales tactics. You start with your tour guide, then his manager, then to a woman who purports to take a survey and tries the hard sell again, then her manager who comes in with another sales push. You end up having to pluck yourself away. It feels like you're trying to get gum out of your hair.

They need to improve the air conditioning. The air condition in the room was horrible. I did not sleep comfortably the entire stay. I asked for a fan but was told they did not provide fans for guests. Dining in the "sauna" (the triangle area below the walkway balconies) was horrible. They absolutely need to cool and dry the air in this area much better. The shower curtains are terrible. Not only does the water go right through and soak the entire floor but it "sucks in" while you're taking a shower and gets in the way.

Check in:
We arrived at approximately 11:30 am. We were reminded of the 4:00 pm check in time but we were told our rooms would be ready in about an hour. We decided to have lunch and return. We returned at about 1:15 pm and we were told the rooms would be ready after 3:00 pm. We walked to the market area and returned about 3:30 pm. Two of the three rooms were ready at about 3:45. I was told my room would be ready in 5 minutes. I sat in the lobby while my friends went to their rooms. I checked with the attendant, Livio, at 4:10 pm and was told the room was not ready. I told him people have been telling me the room would be ready since noon. He snarled at me saying, "Check in es a las quatro!!" I said, "Yes sir but it's AFTER 4:00." He scowled again that the room was not ready; as if to say, "Just deal with it." At approximately 4:40 pm I walked up to the room to find Jessica and another young woman working on the room. They asked if I needed anything and I told them that I was just going to wait to see when they were finished because I didn't want to get yelled at again at the front desk. After almost 30 minutes, Jessica told me they were done. It was about 5:15 pm when I went back to the front desk and said I believed the room was done and asked if I could check in. Another younger attendant behind the counter made a call on the radio then told me there was a maintenance problem in the room and that it would be another 10 minutes. I asked what the maintenance problem was and he said it was the lights in the bathroom. I walked back upstairs and Jessica was still in the room. I asked if there was a lighting problem in the bathroom. She checked the lights and said, "No. No problems". I went back downstairs to report that there was no problem and was finally checked into room 205 at approximately 5:30 pm. This is the worst check in experience I have ever encountered. But given the dismissive attitude I observed while at your property, I'm certain you don't care.

Having traveled in Mexico several times the room was about what I expected. However the air condition was terrible. Soap was never replenished so we had to call for some to be brought up to the room. They brought about 6 bars as if to say, "Ya no friegen!" We were short on towels twice but only called once for more towels to be brought up. A resort like this should provide internet service to the guests.

The food was fair. I would have expected them to have Dos Equis beer. Breakfast at the marina was the best so we went back over and over. It was still steamy and uncomfortable but the food was worth the ride over there. Taking the boat shuttle was the way to go.

Restaurants:
Acuario:
The food was fair. The hostess was not friendly at all. We had to get up to get our own drinks. The water bottles we were given were hot. We had breakfast here twice but breakfast at the marina was the best so we went back over and over. It was still steamy and uncomfortable but the food was worth the ride over there on the boat shuttle.
Capriccio:
The food was good but the atmosphere is horrible here. The fans are not nearly enough to make it comfortable. It is way too hot and humid…. very uncomfortable and it ruins the dining experience.

Again, we had a great time with family and friends despite the hotel experience. The beach is great.

Room Tip: You really don't have a choice because the nicer rooms are for the "socios" (partners...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Ron L
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Don't choose this place. Horrible customer service. I waited 7 hours to check into my room. I was finally put in a room that smelled like paint. The rooms look like a motel 6. Found a roach in the room.

Room Tip: Good rooms are for member only...all other rooms are crappy!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple