“Very Nice..Has greater potential though”

The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
Ranked #27 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
LONDON
“Very Nice..Has greater potential though”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently returned from our stay at the All Suites. We are a familly of four so the opportunity of having 2x bedrooms and pull out bed was a real plus. Our kids are 1.5 and 4 so it does not work for us having them sleep in the same room right now.
I had pre arranged for transfers to the hotel through Cancun Shuttle and was disappointed that the "very visible" representative was not so and that our pre-booked car with child seat was not ready upon our arrival.
When we finally arrived, the checking in process was slow. The desk felt understaffed and there was no feeling of there being a desire to get people into their rooms quickly.
Our room however was phenominal. I have stayed in a number of 5 star accommodations and this room blew them away. The view stretching out over the sea was like a postcard and thoughts of the journey and check in process vanished quickly.
For the entire stay, the rooms was cleaned and replenished and was always spotless.
We have paid for all inclusive that gave us access to sister hotel facilities. However with such young kids, we did not want to venture too far as the youngest still requires a mid day nap and both kids have a good sleep routine that we did not want to disturb. The affect of this however was that we constrained ourselves to using just this hotels facilities. There are two principal places to eat, La Palapa and an Italian place that we used just the once. The adult choices okay, but staying longer than a week, the menu repeated. A couple of things we have left for feedback however; They must consider having baskets of fresh fruit that can be taken away. We eat a lot of fruit and it was odd not being able to request a banana or apple without it being chopped up and put on a plate - I just want an apple to bite into thanks ! In the end, we ventured out to a local supermarket and bought fresh fruit.
Another item was the kids menu was very limited and predominantly deep fried.
We have suggested simply offering child sized portions of the adult menu, e.g. fajitas etc
I'm sure I have read that "all inclusive" is a new offering for this hotel so I am reluctant to bash it up !
There are two pools and one half of one of the pools is designated for kids, again there is scope to develop it a little so it is more apparent it is for kids versus it being a soft rule you read on your map. I would suggest that the bar at the kids pool is slicker than the one adjacent to La Palapa. We often found ourselves being ignored / overlooked and would eventually move to the other bar for drinks.
Another couple of positives were that room service and the daily stocking of the minibar/fridge was all part of the AI which I find is somewhat rare but appreciated.
Okay - Pirate ships... Our kids loved watching them go out at around 1900 each night. And yes there was the odd night that you could hear the distant thump of cannons and muffled music, but it was absolutely fine.
The beach is nice and once again well maintained and groomed. The water is shallow fr quite some ways so you can wade out for quite some distance.
Whether it was time of Year, we had no problems with sun beds and canopys. I was pleased to see that there were notices warning people who attempted to reserve beds and not use them, that they faced having their stuff removed. As mentioned though, there was no issue for us.
The general grounds again are immaculate. A word of caution thought when moving around when there has been rain - The tiled floors to the rooms are treacherous if you walk at anythin above snails pace. Not alot you can do about it, you just gotta chill out and take your time. A few days in and you knew how to get about without finding yourself up-ended.
Overall, we totally enjoyed ourselves. The last time we can take a holiuday outside of the dreaded school holidays. I would strongly recommend this place to families with perhaps kids a little older than ours. That ways you can rally maximise the use of the sister hotels with wider catering choice etc.. As a stand-alone experience, there are some hopefully minor tweaks that could be made that would boost the ratings from us. I would consider returning in the future provided I could perhaps get the exact same room as it was just awesome. I believe these are offered as timeshares and I would be interested inn the one we stayed in, it was that good !

Room Tip: Beach view - Well worth it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TRAVEL8TOR
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post about our resort.

We always strive to provide de highest satisfaction levels available and we take pride on that. We appreciate your insights which we find inspiring to continue our efforts in this subject. One of our representatives will contact you in order to follow up your comments. Hopefully you will find time to answer back and we can stay in touch.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to Mexican Caribbean and change that 4 stars review in a 5 stars one.

Warm Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Flushing, Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I visited in June 2014. The property is beautiful and they do a great job keeping all of the flowers and shrub in beautiful shape. Everything very clean. It is not a huge resort so you find your way around quickly. There is a convenience store on site. They have most everything you need --- it is a bit pricey but you can get items for a quick meal or drink.

We did not have the All Inclusive.

The pools were very nice and the beach is great. Lots of places to hunker down. They have a towel service --- just get new ones whenever you need. Nice. There are no waves here. If you want big waves take the free shuttle to The Royal Sands. There are nice big waves there.

Room is just right. Not fabulous. Clean with the right amount of space in the kitchen for cooking light meals. The resort is probably 30 years old so things aren't all "new" but they are well-maintained and do not look cheap. You will have a daily maid who will keep your room nice and tidy. We had a two bedroom. There was a King size bed in the master, two small beds in the second bedroom, a murphy bed in the living room, I possibly one of the couches may have pulled out to make a bed (not sure). So it would have slept 5-6 pretty easily.

Small bathroom and shower. Nice large vanity. There is only one bathroom with a toilet and only one shower. Might be an issue for a large family but no problem for a couple.

There is a nice tennis court and also you can check out snorkeling equipment. They said there were sea turtles in the lagoon but we did not make it out there to see them. Also, many activities for kids. My wife and I painted some pottery and they glazed it and it looked great. Cost $300 pesos for the both of us.

Many, many friendly people there to help/serve you. We had dinner in the outside restaurant one evening and it was very nice. Good fish. Nice sunset.

As far as the timeshare deal, they will press you quickly the first morning to set up a tour. We did eventually go on the tour. My suggestion is get whatever the "concierge" promises you in writing and be very specific. We thought we were promised two "excursions" (Xcaret, Chichen Itza, Tulum, etc) for free but we were actually given discounts. So if you decide to take the tour get everything in legible writing so it is clear what your "reward" will be. We were told our tour would take 90 minutes. It took 150 minutes. We did receive the breakfast buffet at the resort when we took the tour with our salesperson. They did say that if we said no they would not pressure us and they were pretty true to their word. We only had to tell our salesperson no and then to her supervisor and then we were able to leave. We are not in the position to buy at this time and I appreciated not being subjected to countless offers and pressuring. So, that is probably what you can expect. Just remember --- GET IT IN LEGIBLE WRITING.

We truly enjoyed the homey experience and the great service. It is a wonderful resort. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Our room was right outside the pool. We did not have a view of the ocean. So, depending on what is i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bluesstand
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Royal Cancun (formerly known as the VCI (Vacation Club International) has been one of the “BEST KEPT SECRET RESORT IN CANCUN”. Now, because of its popularity & sustained reputation, when we were there weeks 19 – 21, it enjoyed over a 90% occupancy!!

This exceptional clean resort is absolutely fantastic for couples or families. All of the 2-bedroom villas have been remodeled and refurbished - complete with full kitchen & outside decks & enjoys daily maid service. The very friendly staff is outstanding and especially the front desk personnel. The manager, Rosa Dorantes, is a perfect friendly & helpful host - always supporting a smile.

The resort is loaded with daily fun & well organized activities from water aerobics to Mexican Loteria & bingo. Security personnel are not only quite visible but guest-friendly, and has full control toward preventing any unrulely guest behavior. Each villa has secure Wi-Fi & the HD television is perfect. It has 2 great restaurants: the beach open-air LaPalapa and a new Italian cuisine “La-Trattoria”. The 2 heated swimming pools have ample lounges, chairs & umbrellas. Best of all, is the beautiful well-maintained ocean beach – too nice to describe in just a few words.

The Royal Cancun resort now has a very popular & unique “ALL INCLUSIVE” feature. While non-member renters enjoy this “All Inclusive” food & drink feature, with the resort members/owners (and their friends) this “all inclusive” feature is an optional choice.

For us, our future Cancun visits will always include the Royal Cancun.

Room Tip: Talk to front desk personnel, but most all have a great ocean, gardens or pool view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LynneHemenway
TN
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Visited the Royal Cancun from 5/29/14 through 6/5/14 as I found a good deal through Orbitz for the time period. Basically I had a good time even though this was during the time a tropical depression was in the Pacific which caused rain for the most part. This was my tenth stay at a resort in the Cancun / Maya Reviera area. This resort offered a different concept indeed. The Royal Cancun, a beautiful property, is of course a time share property first and foremost that for some reason has opened up it's property as an all-inclusive for anyone to stay. I would recommend this property for people like me--that has been to the area so many times--that you just want to basically relax and do nothing but still be in the Cancun area. Further, I would recommend this property for a family or group that wants / needs to book 2 or 3 bedrooms under one roof. I traveled this time with a friend and two bedrooms were nice for privacy but then offered togetherness. I do not think I would recommend this property for individuals traveling to Cancun for the first time or for young couples as it is a very quite resort with actually little to do except to lay by the ocean or pool. More entertainment / music would be nice. I enjoyed listening to the radio that was playing at the swim up bar just to hear the sound of music.
The property is very clean with beautiful plants, vegetation, and turtles There are two pools at the resort. La Palapa is the outside restaurant where one will eat breakfast daily. It became a little tiring after a few days but did offer most items that a larger resort would. La Palapa does serve good food especially at night where the theme night changes daily. One can look at the ocean here and the many boats that pass by due to calm waters. The Italian Trattoria is the inside restaurant and serves very good food. One needs to split the salads as all are very large and to me wasteful to serve individually. We ate at the Trattoria twice. The all-inclusive concept offers one the chance to visit other restaurants of the Royal property and my friend and I ate at the La Veranda at the Royal Sands for lunch one day, the Hacienda Sisal for Sunday brunch, and the Captains Cove for dinner one night. This was nice. We did not have to make reservations for any of the restaurants and did not really find too many items which had a surcharge at any of the places. We basically would just hop a bus for a $1 as that way you could go any time and not have to wait on the shuttle that basically ran every 2 hours. Overall, the food was probably the best that I have had when in the Cancun area. It will be interesting to see how this continues with the all-inclusive concept. I would think that food will have to change or the price to stay at the Royal resorts will increase.
Overall, a nice property --hot water, good air-conditioning, good food--which I have not always found at resorts all places. I am not one to purchase time shares but if I was younger and was offered a good deal, I would possibly consider the Royal Resorts opportunities. I will be watching the Royal Resorts for future opportunities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Dnoetn
ny
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This Hotel is the sister property to other Royal Cancun Hotels, this one is probably the more laid back of them. I regularly saw people taking the free shuttle to The Royal Sands... definitely the louder "party atmosphere" / alcohol consuming of the two, The Sands is Larger than the Club International, though that being said, the International is definitely large...
When I first arrived at this place there was a feeling of "not more tourists" vibe. On my reservation there was a type-o that was pretty obvious, but the person checking me in would not check me in, and instead wanted to charge me the standard daily fees. It took a lot of expensive phone calls to get the needed document(s) to prove their mistake. I also requested a Ocean view which was on the paper, but due to the type-o he said I will give you a lagoon view.... first of all call it what you want, ...its a swamp view, and that side also faces the main road and its CONSTANT traffic all day ...all night, loud enough that if you open the terrace doors for a breeze, you cannot hear the tv. also the lagoon side is also the main entrance of the hotel, so dont think about sitting out getting some rays on the terrace, because you have taxis with their drivers right there staring at you. The lagoon side is also where the tipsy people come in from their night out and they can be loud. If youre closer to the tennis courts on the lagoon side you will occasionally will be blasted by hot laundry drier exhaust, it may smell April fresh, but in June its just HOT air.
Also there is apparently a air conditioner for the building that when it starts up it sounds like a dirt bike. The rooms are very clean A+, the staff that clean are great. The grounds are immaculate.In the room, dont expect the little things, there was 2 bars of soap and packets of dishwasher powder, thats it. No paper towels, no in room shampoo or any other toiletries
You only get that as a "gift" when you go and sit in and they try to sell you a timeshare.The water though I was told it is safe, im not chancing that, the water has a very eggy-sulphur smell. Try this while there, drinking water is clear right ?, fill the tub with water, step back and tell me what color it is. Mexico has changed a lot, when you walk the streets or are in the shopping area, you feel you are going through a gauntlet of sales people, either for timeshare, tours, or gift shop junk.The price of their silver is off the chart, I would rather buy online and get it cheaper.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank extracrisp2
Baltimore
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed at The Royal Cancun for a short trip - while my husband and I have traveled a lot, we've never been to Mexico. We really had no expectation, and I booked everything we did through TripAdvisor recommendations - all excellent.

As others have stated, the Royal Cancun is a smaller resort, located on calm waters in north Cancun. The resort is spotlessly clean, the rooms very comfortable. Definitely enjoyed having the beach front view. We loved eating at The Palaba - right on the water. The food was always good and the staff friendly and attentive. I've seen a few reviews complaining about the quality of the food - I really don't know why. I am quite picky and found everything was fresh and well prepared. I guess if you only ate at the resort all week the selections may feel limited, but for folks who do the all-inclusive, I believe you an also eat at some of the other resorts.

Virtually everyone on staff that we encountered spoke some English. So communication wasn't a problem if you don't speak Spanish. What we did enjoy was seeing both international visitors and Mexican families. We really didn't want an American compound, so we enjoyed the mix of visitors.

Having never been to Cancun before, I really can't compare it to other resorts. In driving on the main road, you could see that some resorts were absolutely huge. I guess if you are in your 20s and looking to party, that might be a better choice. But my family really liked the size and relative quiet of The Royal Cancun.

I've been told that the rooms have recently been renovated. Everything was lovely. The rooms are very comfortable. If you are used to The Ritz, you may find the furnishings a bit more middle-of-the-road, but certainly everything was clean and in good shape. And the gardens, beach and pool areas were very well tended and beautiful.

It could have been the time of year - perhaps June is off-season? But we never had any trouble ever getting a lounge chair by pool or ocean. In fact, most of the time there was hardly anyone else there! Great for us! I've read the horror stories of the trouble getting a space by the pool in the mega-resorts.

Great location if you want to visit La Isla Mujeres. Short public bus ride to downtown Cancun.

Oh - about that pirate ship. Yes, there is a tour operator of a pirate cruise and they sail by the hotel several times daily. My first night I was concerned because around midnight, and then again at 1am I was awakened by the over-amplified voice of a loudmouthed dj and screaming drunks. Now, this is not the hotel's fault. They've got nothing to do with the ship. I was concerned this might happen each night, but it did not. The other nights I wasn't bothered by it - either it didn't sail by or I just slept through it. But either way, I would still get a beachfront unit! The beauty of the ocean is worth a few minutes of annoyance from a pirate ship!

This is a time-share resort and I think we are the only visitors in ages who never once were hit up about buying a time share. And I have to laugh about that - we loved The Royal Cancun so much we actually were interested in finding out more about it. (and believe me - I have never, ever been remotely interested in a time share before!)

Also in reading the literature on the parent company of the Royal Hotels - they seem very employee friendly and interested in being green. Kudos for them.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Beach front. If that isn't available the pool view is probably very pretty. But you are on the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank showbizchick
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Excellent place to relax. I purchased a Royal timeshare last year when I visited the Royal Islander. I have to say I was slightly disappointed when toured The Royal Cancun after completing the purchase, but figured my purchase "got me into the Royal family." This year we stayed at The Royal Cancun for the first time - So much nicer than the Islander. I thought this was a smaller resort, it isn't, but sure feels small - from the service to the quiet seclude nature oof the design. I was very happy with my purchase. One cannot help but to relax here. You are close enough to all off the resort grounds, but also don't ever need to leave, should you choose to stay. Great for a family getaway or just a couple. Can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, get a room to the inside of the resort. The far North side can come with some...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family