“Diamond in the Rough!”

Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Diamond in the Rough!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My husband, 3 year old daughter, and I just returned from an amazing stay at Sandos! I would like to start by rating the food.... which was Fabulous! Fresh seafood, beautiful cuts of beef, 5 star dining all the way. Seasons restaurant was our favourite, we ate there 3 times and all the food was lovely! Joe, our server at Seasons was lovely as well.... he was extremely attentive and accommodating!The staff, particularly the entertainment staff, were brilliant! The gentleman referred to as Vin Diesel, Ricardo, and Alfonso made our stay exceptional with beach volleyball (keeping an eye on our daughter, Olive, while my husband and I played), authentic cultural nightly entertainment, and cooking classes. Perhaps what impressed me most was the attention given to my young daughter, her needs were met as well as mine and my husbands. My small family never left the hotel grounds, our needs were accommodated completely. We will certainly be back again, hopefully in the near future!

Room Tip: We requested a balcony, which overlooked both the ocean and pools, it was lovely!
2 Thank taraonholiday
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your preference to Sandos Cancún and for such kind comments for our staff.

We are very pleased to know that your staying was comfortable, and that you delighted the Total Gourmet Experience, specially at Seasons, a high end restaurant with a touch of molecular gastronomy. Here at Sandos, the smalles ones are our consents as we know they are your biggest concern.

Do not hesitate to come back in a near future to enjoy another memorable vacations at Sandos.
Warm regards!
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Sandos is a relaxing, quiet, all-inclusive hotel with caring, attentive service. When we were there in December, Sandos was 60% vacant, so we loved the attention and ease of it all! It is small and easy to get around. There are not too many inclusive 'activities' - so if you want to do some fun things...then you should plan for some day trips off the property. We were there for 6 days and loved our 3 day trips, massage, parasailing and waverunners. Note: This is not a place to meet singles. It is best for couples or a girls trip getaway. :)

*Pros*
-Nice beach
-Great beach service (A hotel employee named Elias and some of the other guys helped us a lot moving our chairs / umbrellas when we needed help throughout the day which was much appreciated and pretty terrific)
-Attentive meal service (A nice waiter named Casanova brings you lunch and drinks right on the sand throughout the day.)
-Fabulous massage (Recommend Andres!) - you can test him on out when they do free trials on certain days.
-Meals/food is pretty good
-The night show of Brazilian Samba and the Caribbean Dance Show was very entertaining

*Cons*
-Zero fun group fitness activities. I wished they had group yoga, group zumba or other fun activities but they had none of that. The entertainment director assures me that he's working on making these changes swiftly. So if you go, plan to do fun activities off the property because you'll be bored if you're here five days and don't do activities off-site.
-Tennis courts were very sandy and too dark at night to play properly. The property will fix this eventually but this was a little disappointing. We brought our racquets.
-Night entertainment is very limited and spotty at best. Two shows were pretty good but otherwise we didn't bother attending them. They say they are working on improving this.
-The beach is very, very windy. The waves are rough this time of year. Hard to swim there. But this is basically all of Cancun.
-The pool does get shady at 2pm but we spent all our time at the beach anyhow so it wasn't a problem.
-The safe in my hotel room locked just fine, but there was a glitch and then I couldn't open it without help from the staff. This was frustrating b/c I needed them to come twice to open it for me. Hopefully they can fix this.

Suggestions
-Bring $50-$75 in one and five dollar bills for tipping the great servers
-Ask for a room with a balcony...those are very nice.
-Bring earplugs. For some reason sound carries in the rooms, so if you happen to be a light sleeper like me, you might hear your neighbors playing music or other sounds!
-Bring a beach bag or backpack so you take your sunscreen, hat, camera and other items around with you.

Best tours
-*Definitely* sign up for the JUNGLE TOUR with Jerry at the "hotel extras" tours desk that allows you to rent and drive a motor boat with a safe group and then snorkel out in the coral reef. It is intimate, small and super fun!!! One of the best of my life!!
-Walk next door to the beach portion in front of Secrets on the sand and sign up for Parasailing at the 'cocobongo' parasailing tent. For $50 you get on the waverunner and parasailing together in a one-shot deal. Great deal!!!!
-Xcaret is an amazing ecotourism all day tour. Sign up through AVATAYS Tours with Edgar ... do not sign up for this at the hotel. Contact him directly. He can take you other fun places and he's so kind and wonderful.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony when you are checking in....no extra charge...its nice to lay out your wet suits o...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank hitherephilly
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sandos Cancún, it was our pleasure to assist you on every need and special request you had on your vacations in order to make you live a real Luxury Experience and feel the pampering for our guests.

We appreciate your kind words for our staff, our Resort is distinguished by our exceptional service and personalized attention to our guests. We are delighted to know that you could indulge at Spa del Mar, all of our therapists are high qualified and certificated, our large variety of treatments and facilities compliments the whole experience.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding to the lack of light on the tennis court one night, your suggestions are very important for us to improve our services as you could experience that the next day it was already fixed.

It wil be our honor to welcome you back at Sandos Cancún.

Kind regards!
Oakland, California
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My wife and I have traveled to many all inclusives around the world and this is the first one we found that lived up to the reviews of food and service. We love smaller venues that offer a more intimate experience. The Sandos staff are some of the most customer oriented staff we have ever experienced. From the activity guys on the beach and pool to the waiters and bartenders, they make you feel special and comfortable. The gourmet food experience is one not to miss. We know we will defintely be going back very soon!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sean G
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Sandos Cancún. We are very glad to know that we could exceed your expectations. All of our staff is truly dedicated to the guest satisfaction in order to make you live a real Luxury Experience at our Resort.

We hope to welcome you back again at Sandos for another special and comfortable time with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We spent Thanksgiving week at this hotel and had a very nice relaxing vacation. The staff is very helpful, the food is great in all three restaurants, the gym is nice, the spa is awesome and the beach and the pools are amazing! We took two day trips to Chichen Itza and Tulum/ Xel-ha and arranging the transport was done by hotel staff, also the shuttle to the airport. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending such a special celebration as it is Thanksgiving Day with us. I am very glad to know that you really enjoyed your holidays at Sandos, complimented with day tours to archeological places near Cancún.

It is an honor to be recommended by our guests, we truly appreciate it and we hope to welcome you back again at Sandos in a near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This is my 7th trip to Mexico, first to Sandos. We booked based on the trip advisor reviews, and fantastic deal we got through ebates and luxury link.com. We recently married and were looking for a lazy and relaxing beach experience. We were not disappointed!

Some tips:
-this place builds its reputation on service. The staff is happy to talk it up, and is generally warm, welcoming, and has a great eye for detail. We really enjoyed Jacob, Arturo, Casanova, and Irving's special attention to detail.
-spa is overpriced, but always running specials. We enjoyed a couples massage (80 mins, $175 USD for a 2-1 special). Very good massage
-spa let us enjoy "hydrotherapy" (jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, etc) for free daily. This really made our trip!
-food is very good, with a special attention to detail. I am a vegetarian, and they were always making me whatever I wanted. However, a few times things came out with meat. My no veggie husband was very pleased with the quality of the meat and seafood
-come in between the holidays!! The resort was ~25% full in the first week of December, but runs at 100% during thanksgiving and Christmas. Enjoy less people during these In between weeks!!
-tip for great service. It's just a few dollars/pesos, but it shows respect and appreciation for great service
-we booked the sandos suite on the penthouse floor (8). This provided us a huge room (1.5 baths) and private balcony. We were also granted access to the premium bar on the 6th floor, which included higher shelf alcohol (Johnny walked Black, balantines, Havana Ckub, etc)
- wifi is FREE throughout the hotel!! We got decent access by the pool, lobby, and 6th floor bar. The room picked up the signal but would not connect on any of our 4 wifi devices. There was a room hookup. Note for Americans -- Netflix added mexico in September 2012. This means you can watch SOME movies, but sorting by language is difficult and a pain, but better than paying $6 pay per view. TV is75% spanish
-there are some families here with infants. There is a kids club, but it is empty (I think this is because we are here in an off week)
- this is not a party hotel. We see that as a pro, but you may feel differently
-pools are in shade by 1pm. This is great for not getting sunburnt. Plenty of sun on the beach
-there is an entertainment team that has many events for the willing
-best chips and guac

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Calliopea
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your wedding, it is always pleasure to host honeymooners to make them have a memorable time at Sandos.

It is a true pleasure to know that we could exceed your expectations and you had the luxurious and relaxing honeymoon you wanted. I am very glad that you could take advantage of our daily promotions at Spa del Mar, the perfect place to find the total relaxation.

Do not hesitate to come back to Sandos Cancún in a near future for an anniversary celebration this time, or just a romantic getaway.

Warm regards!
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 6 December 2012

i am a frequent flyer... this is the few hotels that i can say is really good in everything...

I congratulate them for all services..i really enjoyed the facilities and the gym... the reataurant was great...

well done...!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank winebistromarket
Ashburn, virginia, USA
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Please note that this was my first trip to Cancun. It was also my first all-inclusive.
We are a family of 3. We were at Sandos from Black Friday until the next Friday. We booked a pretty nice deal and read reviews ahead of time and decided that Sandos was going to give us the "secluded but desolate" experience we wanted for our relaxing anniversary vacation.
The outside of the resort doesn't appear to be much, but once inside it's gorgeous and modern. I'm told all the resorts are at the same standard but I was very pleased. Construction in the lobby began towards the end of my stay but I was never bothered or inconvenienced by it.
The front desk/lobby staff was good. Rene was professional and accomodating... Osiriz checked us in and was available to answer my questions when I had them. Various calls through my week to the front desk always proved helpful. NOTE: The only lobby bathroom is located inside Zango restaurant!!!!!!!!!!
The room was pretty nice. We had the non-upgraded rooms, I think they were called Superior? Upgrade. Do it for me. Well, do it for you. Trust me: upgrade.
The restaurant schedules caught us off-guard and confused much of the time, but I found dinner at Zango to be tastey and the service great. Zango's menu changes every day so I recommend posting yourself there to eat each night and only going to Seasons or Gaijin when Zango's is closed. Gaijin's food was standard hibachi, but their Welcome Cocktail of apple juice, Grey Goose and peach schnapps was my favorite drink that week. Season's veal and Caprese Salad were my favorites there but the rest of the menu proved underwhelming (watch out for their risotto, that squid ink STAINS! they should remove squid ink from their menu and take a bleach pen to their seats). Season's is a nice quiet place for people to go who don't really want to be around other people :D
There was a SUPERISE LOBSTER DINNER on Wednesday at Zangos. It wasn't advertised and we only heard rumors of it from other guests, but when we got there... HOO BOY! Freshly grilled lobster tails topped with Wakio sauce, ALL YOU CAN EAT! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! There's also freshly cooked big huge shrimp, tender steak, and some other stuff I didn't really pay attention to. I tasted one of the pre-cooked lobster and couldn't take another bite. DON'T pick the lobster form the bar. Just go up to the omlette station and order as many lobster tails as you want. CLEARLY the highlight of my trip, food-wise. The daily breakfast buffet is my favorite breakfast buffet of all time. Go to breakfast every day, and go early so you can sit around and eat for a long long time :D
Pools were nice for a dip but generally a waste of time. No sun makes the pools a crappy place to be, even though they are gorgeous and warmed. The hot tub wasn't warm enough, and they are not really pools to swim in as they're not very big. People just sort of tread water and drink inside the pools. Go to the beach instead.
Beach front cabbanas are AWESOME! My daughter loved playing in the sand, and various other vacationers' kids would come up to her and play with her and they were all nice and sweet. Mauricio and his red and white shirted entertainers crew were a special treat. I'm not sure what the deal is but it seems like thier job consists of having fun and making other people happy. They form games of volleyball and soccer, dance and host contests and events, and are just a treat to be around and chat with. I'm not sure when I would have, but I left feeling like I should have tipped Mauricio just for being awesome. If you go and you meet him can you please tip him for me?
Service on the beach was great. I forgot to tip Saloman (sp?). I'm not even sure what he did for me but his personality during our few exchanges made him really memorable to me and I really ached to give him money. Who knew it could be ackward to suddenly give someone money for no reason? I hope you tip him for me too ;) Oswaldo was more often our beach waiter than anybody else. Didn't make his way around as quick or often as I hoped, but the man had to cover a lot of ground. I think 2 - 3 people waited on the beach and St. Trop (deck bar/restaurant). I was happy to discover Oswaldo to be our waiter on those days.
ROOM SERVICE! We like room service! I often called for chicken and veggie soup and milk for my baby girl. We probably called 3 - 4 times every day. Truth be told: Sandos' ceviche/cebiche was BEST via room service. Maybe the long trip gives the flavor more time to meld. Hands-down my husband's highlight at Sandos and his all-time favorite ceviche.
I personally wanted to bring all my friends and family to Sandos and throw a big party and take it over and selfishly indulge over and over again. However my husband and also a friendly guest of Sandos schooled me on how much better it could be at other resorts and all-inclusives. If I may be so lucky as to snag a good deal, I'd love to come back to Sandos as it was my first Cancun experience and I'm one of attachment issues. But I think next time I'm back in Cancun I might want to have a bit better wi-fi, a warmer jacuzzi, all you can eat lobster every night, and a real nice ocean view. I loved Sandos, but it might not be for everyone.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you don't want to regret it afterwards! Get the gold bracelet!!!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sandos Cancún, we appreciate you to share us your feedback about the Resort.

We are very glad to know that you enjoyed the Total Gourmet Experience in all of our restaurants specially on the complimentary Lobter Night which we have every week in order to delight our guests with a top notch dinner.

All of your suggestions will be taken into consideration to work in those details to make Sandos the place for everyone. We would be more than happy to welcome you back again at Sandos.

Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#51 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort? Share your experiences!