“Vacation”

Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Ranked #28 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very good service. Hostels are very friendly. Very Nice to meet Russian speaking employee Mary from Cuba, she helped us a lot to be familiarize with the Hotel and entertainment in Cancun.

Be ready to be stand by prior to check in. ( Check in Time 15:00 )

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to try Sandos for my 39th birthday and picked this hotel for their advertisement as a "culinary experience." Since my hubby and I are major foodies we were excited to be blown away!

Let me just say, there's only 4 indoor restaurants (buffet, hibachi and a la carte) and an outdoor pool snack/bar/restaurant.

Lets start with the outdoor pool. Food for pool side is actually pretty good. My 1 year old daughter loved the fresh guacamole, they have pizza, buffet with burgers and dogs. We really enjoyed eating at the pool and just soaking in the sun and people watching. The only thing is on the menu is fresh catch of the day... Well, lets say its not fresh and its really frozen filet tilapia and the choice of fish never changes.
Lets move on the the next restaurant the buffet one. I don't remember the name but its a buffet everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast is decent but you really can't go wrong with breakfast. Lets talk about dinner, the most important meal of the day. The food at the buffet is just horrible. The food is not hot, it's dry and the food has no flavor or taste! For a culinary experience, I was expecting meats that are grilled to your liking or something that gives the guest a true culinary experience. We stayed at Le Blanc last year and their buffet was amazing with raw meats, steaks, lamb chops grilled to your liking. Both of these hotels are rated 5 stars however, we were disappointed with Sandos.

The a la carte restaurant was pretty tasty. Portions are very small and presentation and service is amazing. The menu itself is small with mediocre selections of meat cuts and fish selection.

The hibachi restaurant was great and very typical of an authentic hibachi restaurant. I had ordered steak as my selection and I personally requested the chef to cook my steak medium/rare and he looked at me like I was crazy. My husband and I were the only ones who requested our steak to be cooked a certain way... See we are huge foodies!
Anyways, he says the meat is cooked one way only. At the end of his presentation, our steaks were medium well!!! We couldn't eat it, it was so dry. So, to advertise your hotel as a culinary experience but not have experienced chefs who can accommodate guest requests is pretty absurd and just bad customer service.

Lets talk about customer service. The waiters and bartenders lack the customer service I expect from a 5 star hotel. I requested a high chair at the outdoor pool restaurant and the waiter said they don't have high chairs for the out door restaurant. I looked at him with a dirty look as he can see I am holding my 1 year old daughter and asked to speak to the manager about getting a high chair. He then got nervous and said he will go to the other restaurant and check. 10 minutes later, we got a high chair!!! Please... Do I have to beg for a high chair??? Just ridiculous.

Also, if you don't tip them, they take forever to bring your drinks or even if you order at the bar!! Bad service again!

Also, beware!!! There is no swim up pool bar!!!! So sad for a 5 star luxury hotel!!!

Only one of the pools is heated and most of the heat comes from the jacuzzi that's attached to it. The further you get away from the jacuzzi the colder the water gets. The heated pool only gets about 3 hours of sun a day so by 2 pm it's completely shaded by the hotel building and cold. The other 2 pools are freezing and so cold that not even one person swimming in it! We only used the one heated pool and could not enjoy the other pools that had the sun since the water was so cold.

Cabanas were only reserved for the penthouse guests and the cabanas on the beach were all taken by 10 am!!!!

On a good note, our housekeeper clean our room very well... But we tipped him $10 a day so I think that was a good incentive to keep our room clean.

So overall, it was just an average experience and we expected so much more!!! We would never go back. I would highly recommend Le Blanc but since its all adults we would not be able to go there with our daughter.

We have been to Cancun 10 times over the last 15 years and have tried many different resorts.

The resort is very beautiful, modern, clean but we were disappointed with food and service.

Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank VirginiaClam
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at Sandos from April 17-20. It was my birthday weekend and we just wanted an easy getaway. We picked Sandos because we found a reasonable package through Orbitz and the reviews were good. This was my 3rd experience at an All Inclusive in Cancun. Upon arrival we were greeted by wet towels and a rose. The check-in process was fast, and we qualified for an upgrade so that was nice.
After checking-in, we had to walk over to a gentleman who was supposedly going to tell us about the resort but in reality spent over 45 minutes trying to convince us to participate in an 1:30 marketing breakfast the next day. He was overly pushy and would not take no for an answer. I found that to be a huge inconvenience!
Another thing that I found extremely annoying and very odd for a "luxury" resort was the complete lack of any umbrellas by the beach or the pool. Basically, if you are planning on staying outdoors on the beach or by the pool and you do not have a Suit that would qualify you for a nice cabana, you will not find a shaded area the entire day! The only available 10-12 cabanas by the beach are fully reserved by 6 am by people who place towels, books, and other objects on the cabana and do no even show up to the beach the entire day. My recommendation is talk to the personnel who hand out towels and ask them for help.
As far as the staff, they are all very friendly. The highlight of our trip was the Hibachi restaurant and Emanuel was a great and fun chef! He made my birthday dinner very special for me! As far as the food, I have yet to stay at an all inclusive and say that the food is great, it's just not. The food looks good but lacks in taste. The Hibachi though is very very good!!!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor "ocean view" but majority of our view was of the Secret of The...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saharism
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at the Sandos resort the week of 4/22. The resort in itself was great. We really enjoyed the facilities. The pools are awesome. We have stayed at 5 all inclusive resorts in Mexico and have to say that this one is by far the best. The staff is amazing and accommodating and the food was very good. The resort is extremely clean. The beach beds are amazing (though you have to be up very early to get one of the 10 or so on the beach).
The rooms was excellent. The AC was very cold. The bathrooms are gorgeous and large.

We traveled with our baby, so the only thing we wish this resort had was a larger area/room for our baby to be able to play. The kids club is nice but the closed room is small and our baby would not have had enough room to crawl around. We understand that the resort is geared more towards adults, so if our child was older where he needs a place to play, we maybe would have a chosen a resort that is geared more towards families and kids. For couples though, there may not be a better resort in all of Cancun than the Sandos.

3  Thank Nino F
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Sandos Cancun is the best hotel ever in Cancun!! It my me and my family, my husband and I enjoy a lot of the features that was in the hotel. My daughter also enjoy the wonderful pools and got a beautiful tan. The food was amazing and very elegant. The service was the best, I felt at home. It was a very clean hotel. My family and I got a room in the penthouse the view was to die for. Thanks to everyone for making my family and I feel like king and queens.

Room Tip: Make sure that you got the ocean view this so Pretty .
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Sandos Cancun is TRULY A 5 STAR LUXURY EXPERIENCE in Cancun

I enjoyed the beach, the infinity pool with heated water, the room, but most of all the Food & Dining, very elegant. The bar balcony & terrace is also very nice. This place knows how to live up to your expectations. It gives you good value for money!

Thank you SANDOS! We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catalin M
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This mind sound harsh, but I’m now convinced that if you don’t like Sandos, you don’t like joy. I had a tremendous time, and unless somebody is looking for an all-out Spring Break boozefest, which Sandos doesn’t cater to, they will have an awesome time as well.

I arranged for transportation through Sandos, who, for an extra $30, got me set up for roundtrip, door-to-door “colectivo” transportation, which meant I had to wait a little longer for a full van, but it was great. My flight was delayed for maintenance, so I felt particularly relieved to emerge from the airport and see my name on a sign still waiting for me. The check-in was a little sloppy (for example, I was handed a personalized letter with somebody else’s name on it) but it all worked out in the end.

After a stressful day of travel, I prepared for my first encounter with Zangos restaurant. Carlos had such a disarming smile that I could only forget my problems and relax. He gave me special guidance regarding the buffet and remained particularly attentive. In fact, he passed by the hostess station specifically so he could learn my name and address me personally. This, I came to learn, was representative of service at Sandos. It was kinder, more personable, more engaging, more deferential than anywhere else I can remember. Either they are better actors than most Academy Award winners, or they genuinely hope I would enjoy myself. I tend toward the latter.

And the food itself? I came to Sandos for the food, and it did not disappoint. Zangos has a buffet that stands head and shoulders above all others. Food is both plentiful and properly cooked. Portion sizes allow for wide selection: one day I tried cactus for breakfast, just because I could. St. Trop pool bar can’t always keep up, and they have a lot of tables that sit in the blazing sun where folks don’t want to sit for lunch (half a dozen umbrellas would make a big change), but their food is definitely several steps up against what you might expect from most hotel pool bars. Gaijin is pretty good—for some reason they fill up their reservations extremely quickly, even though a third of the seats aren’t occupied and the food is fairly standard. And then the Seasons restaurant is visionary. Some of the dishes based on molecular cuisine are astonishingly good, and even the “failures” only stand out as such because of the high expectations. For example, one night for the soup course I chose I mushroom cappuccino with coconut foam which was a festival of textures, temperatures and taste. Then the next night I had shrimp-flavored water, which was really disappointing mostly because the previous one was so extraordinary.

The beach is a monitored, well kept patch of sand. The three infinity pools aren’t massive, but great for relaxing. The hulking presence of Secrets the Vine next door is a mixed blessing. It’s entirely true that most of the pool falls into the shade in the midafternoon, beginning about 2pm, and the whole pool and part of the beach is in the shade by 3pm. However, most people didn’t seem to mind a break in the hottest part of the day.

I was surprised to find so few references to activities in other reviews, and now I know why. They’re few and far between. A Zumba class got me moving, and some beach volleyball was a great diversion, but a couple other advertised events never materialized. I don’t know that much about reggae, but a band turned up one afternoon in Bar One who could probably get a recording contract. On my last night the activities guys pulled together some activities based on the TV show “A Minute to Win It.” You know you’re on vacation when the crowd in the bar cheers for a grown woman in a cocktail dress trying to blow eggs across the floor using only a pizza box as a fan!

My room was a standard high-end hotel room. Santiago cleaned my room daily and did an awesome job. Its well stocked with iron, ironing board, safe, slippers, bathrobes, and a mini-bar thats included and restocked daily. I’m a little confused about references to ocean-facing and lagoon-facing rooms, because the hotel sits perpendicular to the beach, and all rooms are angled toward the ocean. However, some face the towering Secrets and the Sandos pools below, and others the Golden Parnassus. I really enjoyed looking out over the pools, but made sure to close the blinds at night because Secrets lights up like a Christmas tree.

The spa is worth a mention as well. It's a bit like a dungeon, and because I don't have a lot of experience with spas, I shouldn't say much, but I had a happy morning there and can attest that Josefina's hands solved problems in my shoulders that I didn't even know I had.

I recently went back on the Sandos website to help me remember a few days in Paradise. I recommend it in every way.

Room Tip: One end of the hotel is closer to the Caribbean. See if they can move you in that direction.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jaggfly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#47 of 177 in Cancun
GR Solaris Cancun
GR Solaris Cancun
#33 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort? Share your experiences!