“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff, great food BUT beware timeshare presentation!!”

Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort
Ranked #28 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We purchased a Living Social deal for 5 days/ 4 nights for $999 double occupancy. Normally I'm wary of all-inclusive because it means bad service, drinks and food but Sandos is a pleasant exception for a great price.

Pros - food was delicious, several cuisine options. Drinks also include top shelf options, which I consider a rarity at all-inclusive. Grounds are well maintained and there is ample pool and beach area, which were almost all kid free! Spa was heavenly especially the sauna/steam areas with hot tub and cold plunge. So relaxing with attentive staff.

Cons - Beware the time share presentation! We didn't realize what we got ourselves into when we accepted champagne upon arrival. We ended up doing a "90 minute tour" for some massage and rental car discounts but we quickly realized that they were a very poorly organized sales team after we had to give our IDs and fill out the exact same paperwork 4 times. Then after an hour, we were told that the 90 mins hadn't started yet and they proceeded to give us a tour of what we had already seen. We were cordial and they weren't pushy. We just found it off putting and misleading.

Overall - definitely recommend. Just say no to timeshare presentation, even if they call it something else!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jason K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed with my girlfriend for 4 nights in mid-May and had an excellent experience. We are both in our Mid-20s and were looking for somewhere that provided a good beach, good food and good nightlife. We left feeling we got exactly what we were looking for. In comparison, we had friends stay several resorts down at Barcelo during the week and they had a much different experience than us.

Food/Drinks: The food was great. Breakfast provided a ton of options from fruits, pancakes, omelets and a variety of unique breakfast items. Lunch was great at both the pool bar and the beach buffets they set up. For dinner, the Japanese steakhouse was good and fairly quick (~90 minutes). We also had dinner at Seasons which was really good food with a unique spin on the dishes but it did take a long time to go through all 5 courses (~2 hours). Some of the mixed fruity drinks were pretty awful but you learn to avoid those and stick with the margs and dos equis. The part I enjoyed the most was the 24/7 room service which is included in the all inclusive. Several nights we had a late lunch and would go out at night without catching dinner at the resort so getting home from the bars and being able to order a late dinner was incredible. Our friends that stayed down the beach had to pay for room service.

Service: Our flight landed at 12:00pm and the previous reviews about check in are absolutely correct about the rooms being ready between 3-4p. However, we changed into our suits and rolled to the beach with drinks in our hands and we were perfectly content to spend several hours out there before checking into the room.

Gym: I'm not one who likes to let my body go to waste on vacation so I was very pleased when I walked into the gym. For a resort gym, I would give it a strong 7.5 out of 10. It is very hot in there so you will be dripping in sweat within the first 10 minutes of your workout but as the saying goes "If you aren't sweating, you aren't working". The equipment was perfectly adequate but does require some creativity to get a full workout in. Tons of space and water readily available.

Service: I had read some bad reviews about the service which worried me beforehand but I found the staff to be very pleasant. The front desk team was happy, the food/drink staff was happy and the cleaning staff did a great job and always provided a pleasant hola when you passed them.

Nightlife: Both being in our Mid 20s, this was not our scene for nightlife. The reviews are true about the nightlife being non-existent. They setup some music and karaoke in the lounge I think in the evenings but we actually took full advantage of the bus system in town. $20 pesos get you a ride for 2 down to the bar zone and $20 pesos get you both back. The buses run 24/7 and there was a bus that pulled up about every 90 seconds. I was really impressed with the public transportation system down there. Never once did we feel unsafe. Even after a night of drinking, we still felt safe on the bus. We did take a taxi back once and negotiated a $12 american fare which i'm sure we could've gotten lower but didn't care at that point in the night. The nightlife in the bar zone was pretty incredible. I would compare it to PCB on spring break. You have to pay a pretty high cover charge between $30-60 but drinks free once you get in the door. You still have to tip to get serviced but $20 pesos at a time keeps them happy.

Beach/Pools: The beach is absolutely beautiful. Soft white sand and clear water. Very little to no seaweed and no jellyfish that you could at least see. The ocean was actually pretty violent with a pretty strong under current in some areas but made for a really fun time in the water as long as you trust in your ability to swim. Always had a lifeguard on duty and the beach service for drinks and food was awesome. The pools were perfect for us in the later afternoon. Water was warm but the hot tub may have been broken because the water was lukewarm at best in there. I would highly suggest getting to the beach around 10am and grabbing a bed or umbrella because the sun will torch you all day.

Rooms: We did get a room with 2 double beds and was definitely not as bad as some of the reviews make it. Actually, worked out well when I got in trouble and got kicked out of the bed and had to sleep in the other one. The double beds are big enough to to fit 2 people comfortably so we did not mind it. Expect little to no TV programs to be in English as well.

Overall, we had a very positive experience and would definitely consider Sandos again. We found a great deal on Orbitz and were extremely pleased with the quality for the price we received. Our friends that stayed at Barcelo for the same exact price and had a much different experience. We visited them during the day and the beach was a lot less desirable. The rooms were a lot less appealing too. Overall, we were very pleased.

Room Tip: Use the buses, $20 pesos gets you anywhere for 2 people. Don't exchange a ton of money at the ai...
7 Thank Rob_Ohi0
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sandos Cancun, it has been a pleasure reading to your experience in Cancun, you have left some really useful tips regarding to Cancun’s nightlife.

All of our guests truly enjoy our pristine white sand beaches and turquoise waters; in addition of the natural beauty of Cancun, we offer at the beach area comfortable swinging beds and loungers featuring concierge service to pamper you.

Our All Inclusive package offers a Total Gourmet Experience where you can try every day and night of the week different gourmet food to indulge your taste buds. For your comfort, room service and mini fridge are included.

We will be glad to have the opportunity to have you back in the Resort for you to enjoy another great experience in Sandos Cancun.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in the first week of May for our honeymoon and for the most part, we really enjoyed everything the hotel had to offer! We checked in right away and were able to go up to our room which was very nice. I had told the hotel prior to our check-in that we will be on our honeymoon so it seemed that they tried to give us a nice room, closer to the ocean with a nice view of pool and ocean. Later that evening, we came back to our room to find a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries, which was a nice touch. I sort of expected more for our honeymoon amenities from what I read in other reviews and what I saw on their website - it would have been nice to feel a little more special. Here are some highlights of our trip and some criticisms:

Highlights:

1) The staff overall was just lovely! Some of our favorites included Blanca at the pool who always had a smile on her face and was always available to help! She was by far my favorite at the hotel and the reason I would come back. Other wonderful staffers included Antonio at the Japanese steakhouse, who helped us numerous times throughout our stay, going above and beyond his typical responsibilities. Areli who is the restaurant manager is also wonderful and made sure we were always happy! Lastly, Ayeli who is the web manager and the person I interacted with on Facebook prior to our arrival was also a pleasure, as she made sure we had a delightful stay and helped us with some questions that were out of her duties. The staff experience was a very positive one and I know it's the reason why many guests come back.

2) The pool and beach area was great. Although people would reserve chairs with their towels at 7am, there was still enough chairs for us when we could come down at noon. I read a lot of reviews about how the new Secrets hotel blocks the sun in the afternoon, but that is completely false. Perhaps, because we came in May which prevents the sun from going behind the Secrets so early, but we were able to get sunshine at the pool until the late evening. Either way, you have the beach which is even more beautiful!

3) Food was top notch for an all inclusive. I had high standards for the food based on the reviews I read, but I was still pleasantly surprised how tasty everything is. The Japanese steakhouse was a great experience as the chef was very entertaining and the food was great! We went to Seasons three times out of the five nights because it was delicious and the flavors were interesting and something new to us. The buffet was great for breakfast, but I didn't like it for lunch or dinner. I also loved the pool cafe for lunch - there was always something delicious to eat!

4) Room was nice and large and very convenient. I like the bathroom and shower area - gave a nice luxurious feeling.

Criticism:

1) Concierge/Timeshare - I put these two in the same category, because when we asked the concierge for information on how to get to the outdoor market in downtown Cancun, they started selling us on their timeshare promotion. At first, we were intrigued because we wanted to go to Coco Bongo, the nightclub, and they were offering a good deal if we went to their 1.5 hour presentation, but then they kept harassing us with other questions and kept making things more complicated just so we can have a discount for the club. It became such a hassle, that we canceled on the meeting an hour before because we felt like they were sucking up our vacation. In the end, we spoke to a representative from Coco Bongo who walks by the pool and he said that they don't even offer discounts through the timeshare desk, so I think they were pulling our chain and wasting our time. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE TIMESHARE DESK!

2) Umbrellas - this is a major problem at the pool as there are very few umbrellas and the people that reserve the umbrellas are the ones that wake up at 7am during their vacation...no thanks. This really needs to be resolved by the hotel because with the sun being so strong and so few umbrellas, it doesn't make for a pleasant time at the pool. We noticed the other hotels along the beach had many more umbrellas, so Sandos Cancun needs to learn from them. What was also strange is that on our last day, the staff people started bringing out more umbrellas from their storage, so I don't know if they were too lazy to do that during our time there or they need a tip motivation, but I thought that was odd and not okay.

3) Room cleanliness - while the room seemed clean everyday after housekeeping cleaned it, my husband tested it by adding some dirt to the bathroom area and housekeeping never cleaned that up. It seems that cleanliness was just okay and perhaps you need to tip them to do a better job. I don't agree with that since it is their job duty to provide very clean rooms. I suggest that management look into this to make sure your housekeeping department provides great quality.

4) Lack of nightlife - I did read the other reviews so I knew to expect a quiet night at the hotel, but once we stayed there, it would have been nice to have a night or two of a party vibe. Unfortunately, the hotel only has one bar and it's a quiet bar. We would always end our evenings there in hopes for some entertainment, but it was never like that. While we wanted a quiet and relaxing vacation, this hotel seemed a little too quiet, and we will probably choose an all-inclusive hotel next time that may have a little more nighttime activity.

I know I wrote a lot, but I hope others find my review helpful. The negative feedback didn't deter us from having a wonderful time at the hotel. We probably won't come back, but mainly because we will try other countries and other hotels, but I will recommend this place for any friends looking for a relaxing time in Cancun.

1 Thank NYCNet
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying at Sandos Cancun, we are so glad to know that you truly enjoyed of a relaxing and luxurious honeymoon with us.

Our upscale restaurant, Seasons, has become our guests’ favorite due to that it offers a journey of flavors and textures that make it a culinary experience in a sophisticated and romantic atmosphere.

All of your positive criticism is greatly appreciated as this encourages us to improve our service and quality day by day in order to provide you the best vacation experience in Cancun.

During the first days of May we acquired more umbrellas to replace the ones damaged due to the use and to satisfy our guests’ demand, so when we took them out of the storage room, they were new, not because the staff was saving it expecting for tips, here at Sandos Cancun we believe that the tip is gratification and acknowledgment for the hard work of your server and it is up to the guest will if tipping the staff, the service is equally provided to all the guests.

Also, due to our guests’ feedback we have implement new Live Moments during the night to have a more live atmosphere without losing our chill ambiance.

Lastly, on behalf of all the staff of Sandos Cancun I would like to express our sincere appreciation for your wonderful comments, we all work hard to make your stay a real Luxury Experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to present you our improvements and exceed your expectations this time.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We recently got married at Sandos Cancun and had an excellent experience. It's a quick 20 min drive from the airport which our guests were very pleased about. The property has beautiful venues - an open air gazebo on the patio area (a more private option vs the beach) which fits almost 100 people and a very large terrarce which was stunning at night, but could get windy at times. The sound quality outside was very good. We couldn't find those venue options at any other resort we visited. Most importantly, you are guaranteed being the only wedding/event per weekend so we had the complete attention of the entire staff which was a big selling point for us. Lastly, the judge did perform the ceremony in English (some resorts claimed they couldn't guarantee this).

The wedding coordinator, Miriam, was extremely accommodative and catered to all our requests! She was also very responsive to my emails and coordinated with the vendors (florist, dj, photographer, etc) which saved me a lot of time and stress. She has lots of experience including working at the Sandos in Playa del Carmen prior to Sandos Cancun.

There are only a couple things that we would change with the hotel. It advertises 3 ala carte restaurants for dinner but one is a buffet for all meals. Also their upscale restaurant Seasons could not accomodate a table of more than 9 people (we had to split our group of 10 into 2 tables or everyone would have had to order the same dish for each course). However, the Japanese Hibachi restaurant was a huge hit. Please note it can only can hold 20 people/hour so best to make reservations 1-2 days in advance. Lastly, the gym is spacious but could use an equipment update and more A/C.

One important thing to clarify from previous posts, is that the pools are shaded mid-day ONLY in the winter months. In May, the pool has sun ALL day b/c it is higher in the sky (above the Secrets bldg next door). The Sandos pools actually have sun even later than the hotels w/ bldgs that run parallel to the ocean that block those properties around 3pm and after. The pool and beach wait staff were very attentive, friendly, personable, and speak great English! They made up for the hotel not having a swim up bar but we heard that is a proposal being made in the future.

Lastly, I want to mention that our friends that used the spa had a wonderful experience and it was a state of the art facility.

All-in, we are pleased to say that each one of our ~95 guests had an amazing stay between the beach, pools, entertainment, and most importantly everyone enjoyed the wedding festivities! We would definitely recommend the Sandos Cancun to any other couple thinking of doing a destination wedding.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Bride,

First of all, I would like to express on behalf of all the staff from Sandos Cancun our best wishes for this new stage in your life. It has been an honor to all of us to celebrate your wedding in the Resort.

Here at Sandos Cancun, we guarantee personalized attention from our Wedding Coordinator to make your special day memorable, we are delighted to know that we accomplished it in your event.

We appreciate your feedback regarding to our restaurant service, now in addition of our buffet you can order a la carte. Being Seasons a culinary experience where all of our dishes are detailed by our Chef we offer a set menu for large groups in order to be able to provide the best service for the group and for the rest of the customers in the restaurant, however, we will take into consideration your suggestion.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and celebrate with you your first anniversary at Sandos Cancun.

Warm regards!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

We were at Sandos for 5 days in May and absolutely loved it. An All-Inclusive Resort with a Boutique feel. The food was excellent. Fresh, and tasty everyday because of great chefs like Andres. Super cool and nice as well. Rooms were very clean and they offer a nice robe and slippers for every guest. Swimming pool area was also well maintained. Finally the service was superb. My husband and I spent most of our time on the beach and the servers would come to us to take our orders. The entire experience was great! Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite for an even better experience!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sandos Cancun, It has been a pleasure to serve you throughout your stay.

We are so glad to know that you had an excellent vacation experience, all of our guests truly enjoy our beach location and grounds featuring wait staff service to pamper you carrying right to your spot your favorite cocktail.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, we hope to have the opportunity to have you back for another Luxury Experience at Sandos Cancun.

Warm regards!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Overall we had a great stay.

I usually always read reviews to make my travel decisions so I wanted to express some of my own personal reviews below.

POSTIVE REMARKS:

-The spa: It was terrific. I felt like a queen with the way they pampered and treated me during the massage.

- The food: Is actually pretty good for an all-inclusive resort. I do not recommend getting food at St.Trop for lunch. I think I got slightly sick from the nacho & cheese dish there. Probably the only bad food decision I made while on vacation. It is ok for a quick one day meal but after that make sure you go inside to Zangos buffet for lunch. Don't forget to have the guacamole. Zangos was impressive with the food spread & presentation. There was something there for everyone. Breakfasts are definitely the best meals at Zangos. The variety is great...from ordering any type of eggs/omelets, freshly customized crepes, arrangement of soft/fresh pastries, yogurt parfaits, to the fresh fruit. It was superb and the cappuccinos were always a great touch to end breakfast daily. Also do not forget to drink the green juice at breakfast. I honestly WISH that they served that drink ALL DAY long and not just for breakfast. It is a good healthy drink that is so refreshing. Much needed each morning after eating too many desserts every night. All the waiters at Zangos are amazing. I wish we had servers like that in the restaurants at home.

- The entertainment staff: Such lovely people. Thank you Becky and Sergio for always having volleyball games and notifying us of what was going on during the day/ night for us to do. SERGIO we will miss you.

- The gym: Yes, the gym was great. Everything you need there to keep up your workout regimen while on vacation.

-Room: Cleaning crew was helpful and attentive to our needs.

- Mexican night- They had a Mexican night was nice and different from the usual restaurant options.

- Every other day you can get drinks served in fruit ( coconut, pineapple, and Melons)

NEGATIVE REMARKS:

- Bed : We never got a king bed as promised when I booked and then called the hotel to confirm. We got two double beds and even checked every morning for two days to see if they had any king size beds available. After two days we gave up.

- Room Key: I hate to complain about something so small but it honestly was the only thing that kept getting us so angry. It felt like each time we went up to our room our room key DID NOT unlock the door. we had to make a trip back downstairs to the concierge desk and they had to fix it. This happened about 6 times. Can you imagine after coming in from a whole day at the beach and activities and not being able to go back to your room when you wanted and then having to go back to the lobby and waiting in line for them to fix the key? the worse was when this happened after a night out. we were so TIRED from the sun ( Vacation life. lol) and no one wanted to go downstairs to fix the key AGAIN.

- Hotel Night time entertainment- We are in our lower 30's in age. I understand that this hotel wants to keep an "adult" reputation and have people drinking espressos with their pinky fingers up in the air all night. BUT COME ON. I don't want to have to pay to get into rowdy night clubs to get some sort of fun at night. There is a happy medium for night entertainment that this hotel should aim at. The entertainment crew tried very hard to keep us happy but there is only so much they are allowed to do. There was a night where we met a few other couples on vacation as well and we all sat on the sofas in BAR ONE ( hotel bar). Can you believe someone,staying at the hotel on their vacation just like us, approached us and told us we were being to loud and rowdy?? WE WERE SITTING ON THE SOFAS not even drinking alcohol just talking to each other in happy excited voices. I call it happy vacation voices....and someone complained about it. That just shows you how boring the hotel is that people staying there don't even expect a PEEP out of you at the HOTEL BAR. A BAR for god sake. Well that was our last night we went into Bar One. After that we just got our own groups of new friends from the hotel and did our own things that were better than that bar ( sit on beach, hot tub, around the pool , hammocks on the balcony, card games. ANYTHING).

- Drinks: The outside bartenders and servers are very sweet and quick (Moises & Christian & leandro) but the drink options at this hotel were scarce. I recommend the hotel have daily drink menus on the bar tops. This wouldn't cost much to put a new piece of paper in a nice frame everyday on top of the bars. We are on vacation and want drinks that we don't usually have at home. I don't even want to think of drinks for the bartenders to make while I'm relaxing. I want to point my finger at a fun sounding summery drink on a menu. Please come up with some creative/unique drink menus and put them on the bars!!

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing Secrets hotel. It is the huge MONSTROSITY building that you will not miss...
1 Thank Sara f
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sandos Cancun and for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback.

We are delighted to know that you could indulge at Spa del Mar where we offer a personalized service for you to live a wellness and health experience in hands of our professional and qualified therapists; we recommend to don’t miss this experience.

At our restaurant Zango we offer a delightful and large breakfast buffet, changing menus for lunch and dinner every day of the week that all of our guests truly enjoy.

I would like to apologize for the incident in Bar One, this is not at all the kind of behavior that we promote at Sandos Cancun, respect is one of our most important values either from staff to guest, gust to guest and guest to staff. At the Resort we keep a relaxing and calm atmosphere, therefore we offer sophisticated night entertainment with live moments and theme parties, your suggestions are greatly appreciated, be sure that we will consider it.

Do not hesitate to come back to Sandos Cancun, we will be honored to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

First of all let me start by saying I compared reviews for months before booking our trip and decided on Sandos due to good reviews of food and overall resort aesthetics and value. We were sold a 5 star resort but really was only a 3 star.

We travelled to stay May 11-18 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I spoke with Alely via Facebook regarding our Anniversary. I also wrote in comments when booking through Orbitz that it was our 10 year anniversary. That being said...this hotel recognized other visitors for their anniversaries and brought champagne and strawberries to their rooms, but we were not recognized or given anything.

The check in was pretty easy and were greeted by a towel, rose, and champagne. Then they say us at the concierge desk where we sat trying to be convinced to listen to their vacation club presentation one morning. When we turned that down, our service with concierge flew out the window.

We booked a king deluxe room....we were given room 310 on the lobby side of the hotel. We had views of the lagoon and beach if you look left and right respectively. The room overlooked the driveway and the no working front fountains. From the exterior the hotel looks run down.

The beach is gorgeous even though we were on a red flag all week. The lifeguards do a great job by looking out for everyone on the beach.

The pools were pretty but were not functioning the 1st two days of our trip as infinity pools. I asked the front desk about this and the next day they were functioning appropriately but that only lasted for 2 days and then the water level was again 6 inches short. At this point I was just done with the hotel.

The food....I read other reviews and had high hopes for the food only to be disappointed. The buffet had the same choices for breakfast each morning. Lunch and dinner were swapped up daily with themes but were mediocre at best. Seasons served very small portions but had decent flavor. Gaijin was good but very hard to get a reservation. The pool restaurant was decent as well. Room Service had a very good cheeseburger. All desserts were pretty but tasted like cardboard in all restaurants.

The hotel offers wifi but beware that it may or may not work if you are outside the lobby. It changed daily on if I could get service or not.

The only person that I met that truly gave exceptional service was Carlos. He cleaned our room daily and did a great job.

Would I book again with Sandos? No I wouldn't. I regret being snowed by the other reviews and hope that the next person takes my review to heart and books a different resort.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jover686
Dear Guest,

We are genuinely sorry to hear that your experience at Sandos Cancun was not up to your expectations, we would have much rather to know about all these things when you were still in the Resort so we could have made a difference.

The recognition and congratulation on your 10th. anniversary is written in our Sandos Luxury News of May 12th, we can deliver a copy via email or Facebook if requested.

Due to the weather in windy days the pool’s water level decreases a little bit as a preventive measure as it splash in the sidewalks and on to the people, this is to avoid slip and fall situations.

We truly hope that people may consider your review as well as the other thousands of guests that recommend us.

Kind regards!