“Nice option for Cancun!”

Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Wichita, Kansas
“Nice option for Cancun!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

First time staying at this resort. Clean and comfortable. Could use some minor updates to the room and public areas. Food options were very good. Reservation required for Teppanyaki grill and was little hard to reserve.

2 Thank Becca D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went to vacation here in January and had a great time. The resort is very pretty and right on the water. The staff were great and made sure that we had everything we needed. Our favorite experience was at the Seasons (one of the hotel restaurants) where we met Rogelio, who was our waiter. We went to Season on our first night and he was very welcoming, answered all our questions about the area, and kept pouring the wine! I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grace K
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We decided to take a quick trip to Cancun to celebrate our recent engagement - and elected to book at Sandos after seeing a great promotion on Jetsetter.com. Neither of us had ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and had some minor reservations about it. I've been lucky enough to stay at some incredible hotels and resorts around the world, and all-inclusive properties had always carried a kind of stigma - but the price was right, and we were willing to give it a shot. My first and lasting impression was that the service was among some of the best I have EVER had. Every staff member was very thorough, helpful, attentive, and generous in their time. We received a complimentary room upgrade when we checked in to celebrate our engagement, champagne and strawberries were sent up to the room, and every meal (poolside or otherwise) was accompanied by top-tier professional hospitality. Even the taxi drivers went above and beyond: when we hitched a ride to a local Mayan archeological site, our cab driver not only gave us a private tour, but waited for us outside (nearly an hour!) until we were ready to go, and brought us to another historic site and museum free of charge. He even paid our admission when we were short on pesos (don't worry, we made it up to him when we got back to an ATM)! I've stayed at five star hotels from New York to Africa, and have only had service on this level a few times. I will say that it helps tremendously to tip graciously - as it seems many guests assume "all inclusive" refers to gratuities as well. A shameful oversight, as this staff truly earns it, and will make sure you get top-notch treatment if you remember to be so kind. They will start to anticipate your needs and orders before you even place them.

Aside from the ocean views, lovely pools, and wonderful staff, I'd say the real property highlight is the spa. I was personally escorted through a very thorough circuit of hydrotherapy amenities (steam room, sauna, polar plunge, and jacuzzi) with a very attentive staff member - who put cool cucumbers on my eyes and cold compresses on my head at each stop, got me a fresh water every 5 minutes, and wrapped my towels around my body for me. I felt like a celebrity - and the locker room and amenities themselves were very nice. My massage was so relaxing that I wavered on unconsciousness the entire time - it was exactly what I was hoping to get out of our vacation. We also really enjoyed a few special activities and add-ons - such as the food stations outside by the pool (a different kind of snack in several locations around the pool each day), and the "Fiesta Night" - which was a beautiful dinner outside on the beach complete with buffet and live mariachi music (made for some great vacation photos).

As far as I am concerned, the resort only fell short in two places: quality of food, and the persistence of representatives from a local club, Coco Bongo. I don't really want to be hassled about going to a club if I am napping by the pool, a flyer at check in might have been sufficient. To be fair, as a vegetarian, I always struggle with food abroad - but I'd say this was the most noticeable weak point in the resort. I understand that the all-inclusive model limits how gourmet things can get, but I would be surprised if there couldn't be some improvement upon what's feasible. The property also has a little bit of visible wear and tear, but if you're spending enough time indoors to take inventory of all these things, you're not doing your vacation right.

Overall, if you're looking for an inexpensive, relaxing getaway that is not the spring-break-girls-gone-wild type of Cancun experience, this is a great option - especially for couples or families. We made the choice to stay Monday-Thursday so as to miss the weekend crowd, which for us, was the right call. We only saw one or two belligerent hotel guests, and got the benefit of a less populated pool and excursion reservation list. Don't let the weather predictions for June scare you - our weather forecast predicted 100% chance of rain our entire trip - and all that means is that it will sprinkle lightly for about 10 minutes, and then clear up to perfect weather for the rest of the day. Certainly worth the visit!

Room Tip: Penthouse level was the way to go for us - very quiet, spectacular views of both the ocean and marin...
3 Thank Catlin M
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'll start out by saying I may be young but I've lived a privileged life and I've seen a lot for a twenty-four year old. My parents never believed in nannies. Child care was what grandparents always provided while parents began to take over family businesses.

But every evening and every weekend was ours. There was never a missed school function and every trip was ours, business or not, even trips to Las Vegas or New Orleans. No mater what anyone else thought about it. We all vacationed, played and lived our life right along with my mom, dad and grandparents. Dad would have it no other way. He did have to spend a lot of time explaining things (Try explaining Bourbon Street to an eight year old.) but I believe it made me a stronger person and I know it made us a closer family and it gave him a daughter that with adult understanding well before most of my friends will make it there.

I am studying at the University of Oklahoma and working towards a micro-biological degree that I will use in a start up animal pre-biotic business of my own, thanks to my grandfather. But that's enough about me. Other than to say I just stayed in two of the best hotels in Spain while studying abroad for a short session of the summer where we did little studying and lots of looking around. Compared to the Sandos they were hotels from Hell.

I called my dad from the airport and screamed that I was back in the USA. Then I begged him to take me and my fiancé to the Sandos Cancun before the second summer session starts. (Told you I was spoiled.)

Beautiful, almost indescribable crystal blue water, infinity pools that seem to cascade to the Caribbean's horizon, a nice beautifully decorated suite (well he and mom got the suite:-) and my fiancé and I got a connecting room). There is a staff always present that prides themselves on continuously refreshing every room and that will have it no other way than to tend to our every need.

The food at the Sandos is both wonderfully tasteful and almost too pretty to eat (I said almost) and overlooking the pools and the Caribbean there is a spa and filled with talented spa employees that turn your body into.... sorry there's not a good word to describe how good the Spa Del Mar makes you feel.

Endless use of marble, heavenly views, food fit for royalty; sand the color of cream, (that is cleaned of tide debris every morning before you awake) and CLEANLINESS, something you don't see enough of anywhere anymore.

Guess we are all adults now, but this trip, like the others I have taken with my Mom and Dad to the Sandos was wonderful. The staff, many I now know by name, is the best I have ever seen. The hotel is small enough to give special treatment to all of its guest and is set on a natural hill that adds to its design and beauty.

If you are going to Cancun the Sandos is beyond any doubt the place to stay.

Room Tip: The only Hotel to have views of both the Caribbean and the Cancun Lagoon from every room. There is n...
1 Thank AudreytheRose
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a truly lovely resort! I read some very poor reviews shortly before our trip, and they were misleading, to say the least. (For instance, one person stated that there were no English language TV stations, which was not true. Another said they ordered a fruit plate from room service and received only six slices of fruit--the fruit plates were loaded with a wide and ever-changing array of sweet, juicy fresh fruit!)

We loved the intimate feel of this resort and how helpful most of the staff were. They went above and beyond to make our stay as pleasant as possible. On our last night, they even gave us a special goodbye dinner!

The design is very unusual. Every time we sat in a different area of Zango's, we discovered a different color scheme and different lighting. It was so much fun to discover new things each day.

Our housekeepers were wonderful, even leaving us a vase of roses on our last afternoon. Our Sandos Suite was very large, and even had a dining room and 1 1/2 baths. The balcony was huge, too!

I would give Sandos an almost perfect review except for two things--a lot of the food was fantastic! Anyone who complains that they get tired of it after a few days is just a really disagreeable person, in my opinion. Having said that, though, I do have to say that there were some misses on occasion. Overall, though, the food was the best I've had in my seven visits to Cancun.

The one thing I was really disappointed about (and not anyone's fault) is that the only view we had from inside our lovely suite was Secrets the Vine, the very close hotel next door. If we went out on our balcony, we had a nice view of the pool area and a slice of beach and the ocean, and if we looked to the right, we could see a bit of the lagoon. We specifically booked the Sandos Suite because it is described as having "a panoramic view of the ocean and lagoon." I mistakenly thought that meant that I would be able to see both from the room, and would be able to see the sunrises and sunsets.

I absolutely love the Caribbean and would never have booked this hotel had I known about this one thing. Overall, though, we still had a wonderful time and I guess it was worth it for this one time to not have the total ocean front view that I always seek. If you don't care about this one issue, you absolutely cannot go wrong at Sandos Cancun!!!

1 Thank SandraJL19
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 June 2014

positives-- room was clean a la carte rest pretty good,
negatives- this was a boring resort, elevators very small, small lobby, slow ,rude front desk, night time small bar that had piano player 915-11pm then nothing,and they seemed to be waiting til they could leave. if you wanted a drink at pool -there was one outside restuarante that had a bar, you had to get up go over ,stand in line order drink then return to seat. keep in mind if u did not pay extra 30 day for a cabana, there were only 5 chairs w umbrellas. no escape from sun walked over to hard rock and WOW -- wish i had stayed there. simply no entertainment,music at pool or any activities.... fellow vacationer brought his own volleyball and got together a game on his own. JUST FYI, WE BOTH HAVE BITES ALL OVER LEGS AND BACK---ROOM WAS CLEAN BUT BASED ON GOOGLE PICS --LOOKS SIMILAR TO BED BUG BITES?? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

Room Tip: choose another resort
1 Thank tenndent
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Amazing hotel, very elegant, relaxing and luxurious... The staff and the amenities are incredible. Our room was beautiful, classy and clean; marble all over, comfortable bed, smelling great, none of that musky, humid smell we had in another Cancun hotel. The cleaning lady, room service and anyone who took care of the room went above and beyond.

You can change money at the reception but on some days they did not always have pesos available. The best exchange rate we found was a little exchange booth in the night clubs area in the square right between Carlos and Charlie and Coco Bongo.

You definitely have to try the spa, it is amazing! Most amazing spa experience I have ever had, even my husband who was dubious at first, loved it. We booked a two-for-one special promotion that was available one day a week (there is a different special offered every day for spa treatments). The sauna, bath, massage, everything is decadently luxurious. Ask for Carolina, Jorge for the hydrotherapy attendants and Zore and Jesus were our massage therapists.
The ground floor of the spa has a gym that is beautiful and huge and we enjoyed working out there in the morning.

The pools are great and clean, and everything we could wish for was provided to us.
The beach is very clean and beautiful, maybe one caveat, is that they do not offer a lot of umbrellas, so if you want a bit of shade, it is an issue and people tend to flock to the umbrella covered chairs first, so that was a minor issue, but not a big one since we spent most of our time in the water.

The food was incredible, tasty, fresh and beautifully presented. Everywhere we went the staff would bend over backwards to make our experience special. Carlos, Nathaniel and Samuel at the bar were fun and quick to come up with delicious drinks. Miguel, Jorge and Isahias at Seasons were the sweetest, kindest waiters and very knowledgeable. The chef and the hostesses whose name I don't know, once again, went above and beyond the call of duty. The chef at Season is a true artist. Best and most original food we have ever tried. You absolutely have to eat at there, it is high end gourmet food, incredibly unique and fresh. Each meal is several course of small but indulgent dishes, including dessert, and each plate is a mini work of art.

The Zango buffet is also very nice and refined, but more laid back and family-friendly. Season is the most amazing place for a romantic lunch or dinner, my husband and I were there all the time except for breakfast.
The Saint-Tropez bar outside serves great drinks and foods (you have to try the fire oven pizza). We didn't get to try Gaijin, the japanese restaurant, as it requires reservations and we were never able to plan our dinner much long in advance.
We did the outdoor dinner by the beach one evening, and the food was unbelievable, both in variety and flavor, but after Season's romantic and elegant atmosphere, it felt more crowded and less intimate.

The bar in the lobby was fun, however, at night it is the only option and there is not much night time entertainment. The lobby bar is the only place to go and the music was video clips from the 80's on a giant screen, so we were looking for something a bit more lively. There was some live music a few evenings, but rather early (around dinner time) , and one night a mentalist performed at the bar (Armando) and he was quite incredible and a lot of fun. But later in the evening we wanted to continue having fun without leaving the hotel and we were left wanting more.
The beach and pool area being so beautiful, we regretted that they had nothing going outdoors at night to drink or hang out. The St-trop bar (the only outdoor bar) closes at 6-7 pm!!! There is no restriction to taking a drink out to the terrace or the outside area, however there is no service there and no people really partying. This is a great hotel for a nice, quiet atmosphere, very elegant, but lacking as far as evening entertainment. However, the great atmosphere and great service makes up for it and I would definitely recommend it, especially to couples, maybe not as much to families.
We will definitely go back and absolutely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 4th floor as the giant air conditioner downstairs are a bit noisy. Don'...
4 Thank SarahAndRuben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort? Share your experiences!