“Friendly and helpful front desk”

Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Ranked #29 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Dear Nancy (Front Desk Manager),

We would like to express our sincerely appreciation to you and your staff made our visit comfortable and enjoyable. We visited your resort from June 13th to June 18th. On June 13th, we caught the earliest flight, 5:45AM, leaving Boston to Cancun. Arriving your resort around 1:30. At the time of check in, our room were not ready till 3:00. We had our great lunch and tried to move in our room around 3:00. However, the room was still not ready. We were told the room should be ready by 3:30. At 3:35, we checked the front desk again, they said it may be ready by 4:00. At that time, we were tired and we really need rest since our early start our day. Your staff, especially Kohtan and Alex, put in extra efforts expediting the situation, we were able to move in immediately. We really appreciated their help.

During our stay, both Kohtan and Alex were very helpful when we have needs from the desk. we would like to let you know how appreciative we are for their friendly and helpful attitude. It certainly made our stay much comfortable and enjoyable. You should be very proud you have them as your staff!

Thank you and your staff!

Mikey & Betty Yang
Westford, MA

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mikey Y
Write a ReviewReviews (4,463)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

First time staying at this resort. Clean and comfortable. Could use some minor updates to the room and public areas. Food options were very good. Reservation required for Teppanyaki grill and was little hard to reserve.

2  Thank Becca D
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My boyfriend and I went to vacation here in January and had a great time. The resort is very pretty and right on the water. The staff were great and made sure that we had everything we needed. Our favorite experience was at the Seasons (one of the hotel restaurants) where we met Rogelio, who was our waiter. We went to Season on our first night and he was very welcoming, answered all our questions about the area, and kept pouring the wine! I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grace K
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We decided to take a quick trip to Cancun to celebrate our recent engagement - and elected to book at Sandos after seeing a great promotion on Jetsetter.com. Neither of us had ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and had some minor reservations about it. I've been lucky enough to stay at some incredible hotels and resorts around the world, and all-inclusive properties had always carried a kind of stigma - but the price was right, and we were willing to give it a shot. My first and lasting impression was that the service was among some of the best I have EVER had. Every staff member was very thorough, helpful, attentive, and generous in their time. We received a complimentary room upgrade when we checked in to celebrate our engagement, champagne and strawberries were sent up to the room, and every meal (poolside or otherwise) was accompanied by top-tier professional hospitality. Even the taxi drivers went above and beyond: when we hitched a ride to a local Mayan archeological site, our cab driver not only gave us a private tour, but waited for us outside (nearly an hour!) until we were ready to go, and brought us to another historic site and museum free of charge. He even paid our admission when we were short on pesos (don't worry, we made it up to him when we got back to an ATM)! I've stayed at five star hotels from New York to Africa, and have only had service on this level a few times. I will say that it helps tremendously to tip graciously - as it seems many guests assume "all inclusive" refers to gratuities as well. A shameful oversight, as this staff truly earns it, and will make sure you get top-notch treatment if you remember to be so kind. They will start to anticipate your needs and orders before you even place them.

Aside from the ocean views, lovely pools, and wonderful staff, I'd say the real property highlight is the spa. I was personally escorted through a very thorough circuit of hydrotherapy amenities (steam room, sauna, polar plunge, and jacuzzi) with a very attentive staff member - who put cool cucumbers on my eyes and cold compresses on my head at each stop, got me a fresh water every 5 minutes, and wrapped my towels around my body for me. I felt like a celebrity - and the locker room and amenities themselves were very nice. My massage was so relaxing that I wavered on unconsciousness the entire time - it was exactly what I was hoping to get out of our vacation. We also really enjoyed a few special activities and add-ons - such as the food stations outside by the pool (a different kind of snack in several locations around the pool each day), and the "Fiesta Night" - which was a beautiful dinner outside on the beach complete with buffet and live mariachi music (made for some great vacation photos).

As far as I am concerned, the resort only fell short in two places: quality of food, and the persistence of representatives from a local club, Coco Bongo. I don't really want to be hassled about going to a club if I am napping by the pool, a flyer at check in might have been sufficient. To be fair, as a vegetarian, I always struggle with food abroad - but I'd say this was the most noticeable weak point in the resort. I understand that the all-inclusive model limits how gourmet things can get, but I would be surprised if there couldn't be some improvement upon what's feasible. The property also has a little bit of visible wear and tear, but if you're spending enough time indoors to take inventory of all these things, you're not doing your vacation right.

Overall, if you're looking for an inexpensive, relaxing getaway that is not the spring-break-girls-gone-wild type of Cancun experience, this is a great option - especially for couples or families. We made the choice to stay Monday-Thursday so as to miss the weekend crowd, which for us, was the right call. We only saw one or two belligerent hotel guests, and got the benefit of a less populated pool and excursion reservation list. Don't let the weather predictions for June scare you - our weather forecast predicted 100% chance of rain our entire trip - and all that means is that it will sprinkle lightly for about 10 minutes, and then clear up to perfect weather for the rest of the day. Certainly worth the visit!

Room Tip: Penthouse level was the way to go for us - very quiet, spectacular views of both the ocean and marin...
3  Thank Catlin M
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'll start out by saying I may be young but I've lived a privileged life and I've seen a lot for a twenty-four year old. My parents never believed in nannies. Child care was what grandparents always provided while parents began to take over family businesses.

But every evening and every weekend was ours. There was never a missed school function and every trip was ours, business or not, even trips to Las Vegas or New Orleans. No mater what anyone else thought about it. We all vacationed, played and lived our life right along with my mom, dad and grandparents. Dad would have it no other way. He did have to spend a lot of time explaining things (Try explaining Bourbon Street to an eight year old.) but I believe it made me a stronger person and I know it made us a closer family and it gave him a daughter that with adult understanding well before most of my friends will make it there.

I am studying at the University of Oklahoma and working towards a micro-biological degree that I will use in a start up animal pre-biotic business of my own, thanks to my grandfather. But that's enough about me. Other than to say I just stayed in two of the best hotels in Spain while studying abroad for a short session of the summer where we did little studying and lots of looking around. Compared to the Sandos they were hotels from Hell.

I called my dad from the airport and screamed that I was back in the USA. Then I begged him to take me and my fiancé to the Sandos Cancun before the second summer session starts. (Told you I was spoiled.)

Beautiful, almost indescribable crystal blue water, infinity pools that seem to cascade to the Caribbean's horizon, a nice beautifully decorated suite (well he and mom got the suite:-) and my fiancé and I got a connecting room). There is a staff always present that prides themselves on continuously refreshing every room and that will have it no other way than to tend to our every need.

The food at the Sandos is both wonderfully tasteful and almost too pretty to eat (I said almost) and overlooking the pools and the Caribbean there is a spa and filled with talented spa employees that turn your body into.... sorry there's not a good word to describe how good the Spa Del Mar makes you feel.

Endless use of marble, heavenly views, food fit for royalty; sand the color of cream, (that is cleaned of tide debris every morning before you awake) and CLEANLINESS, something you don't see enough of anywhere anymore.

Guess we are all adults now, but this trip, like the others I have taken with my Mom and Dad to the Sandos was wonderful. The staff, many I now know by name, is the best I have ever seen. The hotel is small enough to give special treatment to all of its guest and is set on a natural hill that adds to its design and beauty.

If you are going to Cancun the Sandos is beyond any doubt the place to stay.

Room Tip: The only Hotel to have views of both the Caribbean and the Cancun Lagoon from every room. There is n...
1  Thank AudreytheRose
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a truly lovely resort! I read some very poor reviews shortly before our trip, and they were misleading, to say the least. (For instance, one person stated that there were no English language TV stations, which was not true. Another said they ordered a fruit plate from room service and received only six slices of fruit--the fruit plates were loaded with a wide and ever-changing array of sweet, juicy fresh fruit!)

We loved the intimate feel of this resort and how helpful most of the staff were. They went above and beyond to make our stay as pleasant as possible. On our last night, they even gave us a special goodbye dinner!

The design is very unusual. Every time we sat in a different area of Zango's, we discovered a different color scheme and different lighting. It was so much fun to discover new things each day.

Our housekeepers were wonderful, even leaving us a vase of roses on our last afternoon. Our Sandos Suite was very large, and even had a dining room and 1 1/2 baths. The balcony was huge, too!

I would give Sandos an almost perfect review except for two things--a lot of the food was fantastic! Anyone who complains that they get tired of it after a few days is just a really disagreeable person, in my opinion. Having said that, though, I do have to say that there were some misses on occasion. Overall, though, the food was the best I've had in my seven visits to Cancun.

The one thing I was really disappointed about (and not anyone's fault) is that the only view we had from inside our lovely suite was Secrets the Vine, the very close hotel next door. If we went out on our balcony, we had a nice view of the pool area and a slice of beach and the ocean, and if we looked to the right, we could see a bit of the lagoon. We specifically booked the Sandos Suite because it is described as having "a panoramic view of the ocean and lagoon." I mistakenly thought that meant that I would be able to see both from the room, and would be able to see the sunrises and sunsets.

I absolutely love the Caribbean and would never have booked this hotel had I known about this one thing. Overall, though, we still had a wonderful time and I guess it was worth it for this one time to not have the total ocean front view that I always seek. If you don't care about this one issue, you absolutely cannot go wrong at Sandos Cancun!!!

1  Thank SandraJL19
Reviewed 21 June 2014

positives-- room was clean a la carte rest pretty good,
negatives- this was a boring resort, elevators very small, small lobby, slow ,rude front desk, night time small bar that had piano player 915-11pm then nothing,and they seemed to be waiting til they could leave. if you wanted a drink at pool -there was one outside restuarante that had a bar, you had to get up go over ,stand in line order drink then return to seat. keep in mind if u did not pay extra 30 day for a cabana, there were only 5 chairs w umbrellas. no escape from sun walked over to hard rock and WOW -- wish i had stayed there. simply no entertainment,music at pool or any activities.... fellow vacationer brought his own volleyball and got together a game on his own. JUST FYI, WE BOTH HAVE BITES ALL OVER LEGS AND BACK---ROOM WAS CLEAN BUT BASED ON GOOGLE PICS --LOOKS SIMILAR TO BED BUG BITES?? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

Room Tip: choose another resort
1  Thank tenndent