“Beautiful Setting”

Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Staying at this resort was amazing! Had a 10 day stay for my best friend's wedding and what a great time we all had! The whole hotel was fab - great atmosphere, staff, pools, food etc. Being able to walk down from the poolside to the beach and sip a cocktail on a cabana was heaven. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank zen_pistolas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed for 12 days and had a great experience overall and highly recommend Sandos Cancun. Check-in was simple and were greeted with champagne and roses for the ladies. Rooms are very clean and spacious - three of us in a superior room (all inclusive). We we didn't have a balcony but had an amazing ocean view. 24-hour room service and mini bar refresh was timely and convenient.

The staff went above and beyond to make our experience wonderful, very attentive, pleasant, and friendly. The mid-day BBQ pool/beach side was excellent. The onsite excursion folks were wonderful, particularly Netza and Cesar. The service from Gilmer and Blanca pool and beach side were amazing, service with a smile the entire time. The hotel bar, Bar One, has a relaxing patio/balcony with lounges and swing chairs overlooking the ocean and pool. The batenders, Carlos and Jose Luis, took great care of us. Weds night, there was a live band playing all types of music, we danced all night long, so much fun!

More Pros: Amazing staff, great customer service, very clean. Nice gym and spa, different daily activities/entertainment. Jamaican band was awesome. Hibachi restaurant was amazing, we went there three nights!

Cons: Rooms are a bit humid even with the AC all the way up, bathrooms need fans to help with moisture. The beach needs more umbrellas. Chairs were plentiful, umbrellas were not. The service at Seasons restaurant was unbelievably slow. I would even say slow according to European dining standards. Roughly an hour per course - food was good - service overall was slow and not very attentive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank swharv8
Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the resort so much we bought a timeshare. If you go, ask for Pepe, HE WAS THE BEST! We would not have bought a timeshare if it were not for Pepe. Beautiful resort. The restaurants were just okay. Seasons sucked! Ganja was too hot! Make sure you visit the flea market. It's a $12 cab ride. All inclusive was a plus, it would have been better if the food was better.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Davena L
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 5 days and 4 nights at Sandos, so it pretty quick trip. We definitely wished we could have stayed a few extra days though! Had a great time, super friendly staff, and just the perfect size resort for us. As my boyfriend summed it up, it's great for post-collage grads but before you have kids. It's a small resort without much of a night-life aspect to it. But it's perfect if you just want to relax by the pool/beach, do a little sports, drink and eat.

It was about a half hour ride from the airport to the resort via a shuttle we booked before hand. No issues checking in since we got there around 4. We've read that a lot of rooms aren't ready until after 3pm so it worked out for us. We had called earlier to request a King bed in our deluxe room, with a ocean balcony view if possible. The view ended up being more pool than ocean but it was great (picture attached).

The room was nice, nothing too fancy. Nice bathrooms though. Unfortunately, there was a black out the first night we were there but we spent our day outside and they got the power back on right before the World Cup game (so everyone was happy!) The room was always cleaned by the time we got back, usually around mid or late afternoon. First they would clean up and make the beds, and then later in the day would come back to turn down the beds. I did wish they paid more attention to the bathrooms as we ran out of soap/shampoo/towels on our last night.

The staff was super friendly. We were always checked up on, even the two nights we spent on the beach when most people had already left, someone kept coming up to us asking if we needed anything. Gilber was our man at St. Trop, the pool side bar and grille. Carlos was awesome, he worked at Bar One, the lobby bar. Carlos definitely was the reason I went to bed early the first night ;)

Food was decent all around. The breakfast buffet I wasn't too crazy about. The fruit, meat, and cheeses didn't always look very fresh. However, St. Trop was always good for lunch and we really enjoyed Gaijin (Habachi) for dinner! Seasons, the Molecular Cuisine, was a rather funny dinner experience. It was good, but when my appetizer came with a side of "foam", it's getting a bit much for me =) but it was definitely something I'd recommend at least trying out! I also tried room service one evening when I wasn't feeling well. It was nice, came promptly, nothing special. We also liked that Sandos mixed it up on some of the nights. First night there was a Fiesta happening pool side with some delicious assortment of Mexican foods. Then our last night had a Caribbean Themed night, also poolside with fun different foods.

Overall, we had a great time! We left the resort once to go on the Selvatica Zip Lining excursion (highly recommend!) and for the rest of the time, just enjoyed what the resort had to offer. Thanks Sandos!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I had a great time at Sandos Cancun Luxury resort for our honeymoon. It is very affordable and the food is good. We were given excellent service by Jorge at the 5th floor bar. He made the trip fun and relaxing and something to look forward to after the pool every day!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Bjp88
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had fantastic time at this resort. Rooms were clean and spacious. There were 4 nice restaurants at the resort and there was a plenty of food to choose from. I would come back to this resort any time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had stayed at this hotel twice before when it was Le Meridien. The facilities are nice and the pools are great. The food is not very enjoyable. There are so many hotels to choose from and I have stayed at many, so I have much to compare against. Although the food is plentiful and they are always putting out a buffet during the day after breakfast, the food was not high quality. Additionally, I paid for a cabana, which was quite reasonable for $30 US, but I got absolutely NO service whatsoever. During the entire day that I had the cabana, a waitperson stopped once, late in the day, to see if I needed anything. Otherwise, I was on my own to go to the bar and request my own drinks or food. As for housekeeping, on my first day there, I left my room at about 8:30 a.m. and returned at 4:30 p.m. The room still had not been cleaned. After being in the sun all day, I wanted to rest and wouldn't you know, come 5:00 p.m. someone knocked on the door to finally clean the room. I declined. The air conditioning unit in my room was SO loud that I did not get one good night's sleep. It didn't just hum, it rattled - thereby rattling me out of sleep. And it seemed that it couldn't hold a temperature for more than 5 minutes with the rate that it kept coming on again and again. I vacation in Cancun to be attended to and that did not happen in any manner whatsoever. I was not even allowed to charge sunscreen to my room - I had to return and pay with cash or a credit card. That was a first for me. Being the July 4th holiday weekend, it was semi-crowded, but not so much as to overwhelm the staff. The food variety definitely needs improvement as does the service in the pool area. Buffets constantly are certainly not the same as sitting down to a specific meal that you have chosen and for the same price, I could have and would have stayed at another resort had I realized the declined state of affairs since Le Meridien had closed.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 309 and definitely would not recommend that room due to the AC unit's noise.