“Not a Luxury Experience”

Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Ranked #27 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed 8 nights at the end of October. My spouse fractured her arm (off site) at the half way point of our trip, so unfortunately had to rely heavily on room service for the last four days.

PROS
-Low occupancy at this time of year, never had to wait for an elevator or service at a bar
-Beach beds and pool loungers were always available
-Super clean, no musty smells
-Wonderful housekeeping
-Good experience at the Japanese show cooking restaurant
-Good location in the hotel zone
-Pool snack bar was good for pizza, wings and fries
-Beautiful lobby bar area
-Family resort but has an adult oriented feel

CONS
-Arrived via private transfer at 2 PM - No one available to take our luggage - had to drag 4 pieces into a quiet lobby - no welcome drink offered
-Once checked in a "concierge" pounces on you to give a tour of the facilities (no tour required - this place is really small) - He actually wants to arrange a timeshare presentation. We declined and for the next 8 days he waved hello when we would see him
-Limited room service menu and they never got it right. Things were always missing, No syrup for the pancakes, no butter for the toast, no ketchup for the fries, no milk or cream for the coffee. If you asked the staff to deliver anything missing, it would take at least 30 minutes.
-Besides the Japanese (reservations required) restaurant, the Seasons restaurant was closed 3 of the 8 days we were there leaving only one dinner option which was usually buffet. The weekly seafood buffet was replaced with a halloween buffet and there was no hint during our stay that lobster was available.
-Lobby bar was never well stocked. For 8 days I had to go to the pool bar to get vermouth for my manhatten, then back to the lobby bar for Crown Royal. Had to go to the restaurant bar for Gran Marnier and on one occasion they ran out of house wine.
-The general manager was invisible for our whole trip except for a champagne reception in the lobby bar where she gave a speech, introduced some key staff, handed out a few door prizes and left without circulating with the guests. (The champagne was really awful but was served in Moet Chandon ice buckets and no munchies were provided).
-The early afternoon shaded pool area resulting from the neighbouring high rise Secrets the Vine.
-No significant entertainment

The main difference from an average place to a luxury experience is attention to detail and providing a quality product.
This place is capable of this, but did not deliver.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank holababa
Write a ReviewReviews (4,363)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the second time I have been to Mexico this year. First time we stayed in Riviera Maya, and this second trip is obviously in Cancun. I found staying in Cancun a lot better than staying on a sole resort as I had done previously in the year. Your able to walk out f the hotel without the expense of Taxis to and from the hotel. If you get restless as I often do then Cancun is the location for you.
Having already been to mexico this year I was pretty confident at what to expect from the people and the location. But on arrival to the hotel we were blown away. The staff were even more friendly than in our previous hotel (which I felt would be impossible, so well done Sandos). The location of the hotel is offset from the road and at first I wasnt sure about it, but when we walked inside I was blown away. Very classy, clean and welcoming. It is only small but it makes up for its size with great character and once again amazing friendly staff. The rooms were as nice as the lobby and I have no complaints.
We thought it may take a few days to settle in to the hotel, get to know staff and guests etc as t had done on our previous visit to Mexcio. In Sandos this wasnt the case, as it is small, every one gets on well and there is a real welcoming atmosphere. This is helped by the pool/ entertainment concierge staff, who make all feel welcoming by being nice and not pushy. The make all welcome to the activities and make every thing fun. One member of this team that made us feel particularly welcome was a lovely woman named Beccy. She would never pass without making us feel special and asking us how we were, these little things made our stay the best holiday we've ever had.
I would highly reccomend this hotel, for Location, cleanliness, Size, Staff, activities, beach, food, and basically every thing else you could name.
Well done sandos, we had an amazing time, and thank beccy as we took a real shine to this woman, she is amazing at her job.
Really sad to go, but we will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Scott_a_90
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I think I was there with Steve. Not near the issues he had, but, definitely NOT as advertised. We went the week after the 4th of July. The room was wonderful. No special service as advertised though. "Stocked" mini bar in the Sandos Suite had 4 beers and soda water. Definitely not the "Bottle Service" we were led to believe at first for the additional money we paid to be up there. We didn't find out why until the second day when the pushy sales people told us to have the "special service" we would need to spend 39,000 USD (yes 39k) to get the "Black Arm Band". "Adults Oriented" = Kids out the WAZOO! It was a nightly ordeal on the 8th floor to hear a screaming infant at 10:00 thru 3:00. Kids in the one and only late night "Bar One". Kids urinating in the extremely hot pools. One of the infants had a blow out in it's diaper in the only cold pool. Not much going on at night. One bar open after 10:00. Not top shelf drinks served, and if you want okay service, you need to tip the staff constantly. I wouldn't recommend this place for the money we paid. You can get 10x better service for that price next door at Secrets.

Room Tip: Stay away from the "Royal Elite" guys...
6  Thank Bryan T
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, clean hotel with all the amenities you could ask for. Greeted us with champagne at check in. Three different restaurants, a all day buffet outside by the beach and pool, room service, a lounge w/full bar, and a full gym, which everything was all inclusive. The room was clean and big, and that was just the deluxe room. You never have to leave the resort unless you want to go to the clubs or go on excursions.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamaal s
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Sandos Cancun in May 2014. Myself, husband, 3 year old, my brother, sis in law and their 2 children (age 2 and 5) and my parents. We stayed for 5 nights in a Sandos suite.I had requested a Sandos suite with a pool view on a high level floor....we didn't get that....got a view to other side of hotel and on a low floor, so really no view to speak of. We did have 2 balconies and a nice sided room with 2 full bathrooms.
Overall, I thought the hotel was nice and would stay again if the price is right. I enjoyed the cabanas at the pool everyday and the beach was gorgeous. The kids loved the pools also.
I thought the food was typical for Mexico...not the best, but not bad...and we never went hungry. We did opt to eat outside of the resort one night for a little variety. I have found breakfast at other resorts better, including their sister resort, Sandos Playacar (have stayed there twice in the past).
Not much entertainment...but we knew that going in and were fine with it...we wanted to relax as much as is possible, considering we had our children with us...didn't want to be haggled every 30 mins at the pool and hear lots of noise at night. Overall the service was very good, and sometimes even awesome at the pool area...I wish i would have written my review sooner, so that I could have remembered the names of some of the pool servers. They will bring you food multiple times throughout the day if you wish and the drinks kept coming. Beach is nice to walk both directions for a long ways...questions, please ask!
Tip-Japanese restaurant was good...food wise, but be prepared to sweat your clothes off....they gotta get some A/C in there.

Room Tip: Facing pool on a higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The hotel is old and have many problem with air condition in the room, we have to ask for different room but still have the same issue. We have a plumbing problem and call the front desk , and 5 hrs later still no one show up to fix it. We were there with 22 other in our group and they offer us Don Julio Tequila, after couple bottle , they refill with water down liquor and offer it to us in the Julio bottle. They could have told us that they were out and we would be sad, but much more happy than refill with some crappie liquor and think that we wouldn't notice. The food was quality and good. I wouldn't come back again, because there are many more hotel there with better services. This is my six times in Cancun so I know what to expect....... Hope this review will help many of you to decide not to take a chance at this hotel.........

Room Tip: Half of the room are without balcony, and half with balcony. So if you want a balcony make sure ask...
4  Thank Solsearch1
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here for 1 night.. we payed a lot per one night .. good food .. good location.. but too expensive .. the hotel is small .. no answer on phone from front desk.. friends came over to use the water activities (jet ski) of course they were willing to pay for the rental .. and hotel front desk stopped us and request them to pay just to go through the lobby to the beach .. we were very sad for that .. we had to pay for a tour for jet ski .. good looking hotel .. better than many in cancun .. i noticed the there are may other hotels similar to this one .. bigger of course and no fee for any guess coming to the beach as guest .. thanks the best part of the hotel was the free wi fi .. and of course the beach from cancun ... yeah provide by mother nature lol

Room Tip: read reviews.. don't pay for too much.. search online .. compare prices