“Honeymoon”

Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was our first time at an all-inclusive and it did not disappoint. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The resort itself was nice and clean. We liked that it was smaller and not too crowded. The problem was that there wasn't a lot of shade, so we woke up early and went down to the beach to reserve a cabana every day. The beach is really clean, the water is great, and the pools were relatively clean as well. I would recommend more umbrellas both on the beach and in the pool areas. The food was good, but there are very few choices of food. However, they planned a social event every night with different food to break that up, which was nice. I also like the social planner that was distributed every night for the next day. The rooms were nice and clean, but the service wasn't consistent. We would have turn down service some nights and not other nights. We made it very clear in booking that we were attending for our honeymoon and specified three different times before arriving that we wanted a king size bed. When we arrived, they put us in a room with two double beds and told us once we came back down and questioned it that they could push the beds together for us. My husband told them we expected a king size bed the next day, and we did get one. However, I heard from people we met that a lot of them requested king sized beds and were put in rooms with 2 double beds. Other than that, it was a nice experience.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify that you want king size bed so that you can show e-mail correspondence to the fro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Meghan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Place, staff and food was amazing the beach was breath taking. I wish I remember the names of the staff. I can say everyone was pleasant and helpful. Only thing I wish is they had more shaded area like palm trees or more umbrellas, you have to get up early to get a cabana and when you on vacation who wants to get up early. Definitely returning

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank D M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I took my wife here for her birthday because neither of us have been to a resort in Mexico and its 2 hour flight from Houston. I had never done the all inclusive thing so we went to try it out.

The hotel/trip was exactly like I thought it was going to be after reading trip advisor. I had no surprises and it was exactly how I imagined it would be.

You have a great pool, lots of waitstaff, the beach is clean, the water is beautiful,you have your island drinks that are not blended all the way so there are big pieces of ice in them but they still taste good, you are going to get your carb overload at the buffet at the pool, if you don't get down to the beach or pool by 9:00 am to reserve an umbrella or beach cabana you are going to fry, the food at all the restaurants has a 10/10 presentation but don't taste as good as they look,if you think Mexican food is going to be around every corner its not, and if you want tex mex remember this is mexico and your not going to get tex mex here.

I came on this trip to relax, get away, look at a beach, and not think about anything and that's exactly what I was able to do here. The best day my wife and I had was sitting in a beach cabana with shade and having one of the waiters bring us pizzas and mango margaritas. Then every now and then we would go jump in the ocean or walk down the beach. Then one of the nights they had a huge Mexican fiesta party and we luckily sat at a table with a fun group of people and drank mudslides and laughed for the next 3+ hours until we were the last people to leave. We wished everynight there was a fiesta or something like that. That was a lot of fun.

Overall it was a great experience, would I go back to the same hotel? Since there are a million hotels, I would probably go stay at another one. We got a deal per night at this place so were not paying much. But I wouldn't pay a lot of money to stay here, I would pick another place unless you got a good deal. I wouldn't call it a luxurious place. It reminded me of being on a cruise boat for Royal Caribbean. We stayed 4 nights and we were ready to go, only so much laying on the beach we can do. But we enjoyed it, everyone was friendly and it was a great time.

Room Tip: Stayed in a basic room. We slept in a twin for 2 nights until a king was available. Seems like this...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheodoreMohleIV
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited this all inclusive hotel during winter time. The hotel advertising and presentation is misleading as far as quality concerns.
The opulence and glory of this former Le Meridien hotel and its elegance survive but it is a mere show. The place seems now to be catering for tacky mass tourism, mainly from Russia. The food is not good nor tasty, although they make painstaking efforts to present it as extraordinary, but is surely satisfyingly abundant for those who are after quantity.
The general impression is: the way the staff is trained remains clumsy and they do not understand true service concept. They keep repeating always the same sentences without knowing the meaning nor how to reply: they tend to push people to spend with their mantra (at the welcome/check in desk, in the spa, at selling tour packages or particular drinks) and expect the tip, which was really disturbing.
We had several problems with our hotel room's cleanliness: dirty and stained sofas, chairs, electricity not working, etc (the maintenance is horrible) and had to switch room after much complaining and negotiating. It was an exhausting process. Slow and very weak wifi connection in the rooms, we had to go down the lobby most of the time to use it.
The weather was cold, windy in mid January and no one could use the two big outdoor pools. The hotel overshadows them so since the water is not heated, they remained cool the whole week.
The beach is lovely and seems endless, so you can take long walks along or jog and it is really pleasant in the early morning hours or during sunset. Staying there until late afternoon was the best part of the holiday.
The staff does not speak English well but try hard, so it was difficult to communicate.
The spa use is not included and it stayed mostly empty, being also very expensive.
The airport transport at the checkout was totally messed up and caused us serious stress, the staff not being able to speak proper English nor wishing to get involved in something troublesome nor was knowing who was handling what.
The general feeling was: no one was really in charge nor knew what the staff was doing.
I would certainly not recommend it travelling that far /staying with them.

Room Tip: Eat at the small poolside bar/it has some decent and simple fish and salad based food and the staff...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank judit88
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying at Sandos Cancun. We are pleased to know that during your stay you could find positive thing to enjoy like our privileged beach location.

Our team of professionals is in constant training in order to improve our quality skills and reach excellence in customer service, we also provide English lessons for the staff in order to prevent miscommunication with our guests, however, positive criticism is always welcome, it can only get better.

We will be grateful to have the opportunity to welcome you back and present you our improvements so you can really experience the service that distinguishes us.

Kind regards!
California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our family chose Sandos Resort because of its amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. We thought with such great reviews, we couldn't go wrong with choosing Sandos. We were in for a surprise...
Being our 5th time to Cancun, we thought why not spend a little more and go with a "luxury experience" and see how it is. If this is your first trip to Cancun at an all inclusive resort, Sandos is seems amazing. But if you've experienced all inclusive resorts before, don't be surprised when you are disappointed with what Sandos has to offer. Don't get me wrong - the service and the staff are great. They are kind and more than happy to serve you, but the resort definitely isn't as great as all the other reviews describe. It only has three restaurants, one being the buffet that serves the same food day in and day out. Second, the hotel has a bunch of rules that other resorts don't have. For example, you aren't allow to stay at the beach or in the water past 6PM. Cancun at 6PM is the perfect time to be in the water because its still so bright out but its not scorching hot. They make you leave the beach because their life guard gets off at 6, but at the near by hotels, everyone is still packed on the beach. The entire beach only has 9 umbrellas and a handful of beach chairs to lay out on. There are beds that you can try to get but those seem to always be taken. If you are young and looking for a fun hotel, this is not the hotel for you. Sandos is extremely quiet and most of it's attendees are in the older age range. It's frustrating when you are on the beach and at the pool, and there are no activities going on. But next door, the other resorts are blasting music, playing games, having contests, etc. Also, this place literally has NO NIGHTLIFE. All restaurants close at 11pm and there is only one bar near the lobby that has some music but it doesn't get you pumped at all.
Lastly, and worst of all, this place has BEDBUGS. On the first few days of our stay, my other family members staying in different rooms were getting bitten all over their bodies but I just thought it was no big deal.. Until everyone starting coming down with red bites all over their bodies.
I thought I had too high of expectations when it came to all inclusive resorts because I was disappointed in what Sandos had to offer, but talking to other families around the resort, I found that we were not the only people who were not happy with the hotel. Couples and families were checking out of the hotel and moving to different resorts because they were so dissatisfied with the resort. Remember, the service and the staff are incredible. They are great! But it's the resort itself, the rules and what it has to offer that truly drops the ball.
It's upsetting because our family spent paid more money to enjoy a luxury experience, but our experience was not even of luxury, it was way below average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
29 Thank Stephanie T
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It is a shame to learn that your vacation did not meet your expectations. At Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore you feedback is very important to us.

I believe this is the case of wrong clients for the wrong hotel, Sandos Cancun is an Adult Oriented Resort where we offer a quiet and relaxing atmosphere with a sophisticated kind of entertainment, we are not the kind of Resort that offers nightlife, as the most of our guests are traveling for romance and relaxation, most of them seem to enjoy our evening activities.

As you may know, the beach in Cancun is federal property, we are not allowed to prohibit anyone to stay in the beach neither in the ocean, however, we have a safety protocol, when our lifeguard’s shift is over he must advise the guests that they will be in the ocean without a supervision. Due to the sea current we recommend our guests to be careful when swimming in the ocean after 6pm.

Regarding to your bed bugs issue, rest assured that this year our mattresses have been cleaned and sanitized with the latest German State of the Art technology. The mattresses receive regularly a surface-treatment with a highly efficient 100% biodegradable solution in order to provide the best sanitary conditions. Also, it is important that you notice that no other guests suffered this situation.

There is nothing more left to say but to wish that you had really experience our Luxury Experience that you had read before, we hope on your next vacation you can find a place that meet your expectations.

Kind regards!
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is considered to be quite small if compared to the other in Cancun. I loved tge hotel - its made of cold stone and marble, it was a pleasure to stay in the conditioned hotel while the weather outside was extremely hot. Stuff seems to be very helpful and do their best, although sometimes while looking at them you understand that beyond thier smiles they are tired of tourist, constant job and are, probably, every of them dreams to be serviced as they do service guests. But this is how they make for livibg and this is their willingness to work there. There are 3 pools in the hotels area - quite good to have them, given that due to constant waves in the sea you cannot relax there - so you can enjoy calmness in the pool. There are a lot of pkaces to live under the sun - but not all of them have umbrellas. Usually, people put their towels or other staff to reserve places under umbrellas in the morning. There are also other shelters frim the sun, but reserved early morning as well. For those who books expensive rooms (not suits and not deluxe) special personal places of rest are reserved by the hotel. Its great to have them and i would really recomnend this - but you have to pay more for other tyoe of room. I stayed in Deluxe - with balcony and would recommend this. Rooms called Suits ard with no balcony - they might be the same as Deluxe inside, but balconies are cool to have. Belive, to get to the balcony and and enjoy amaxing sea is worth extrapay. There are 7 expensibe rooms with direct view on the sea, all the other Deluxe with balconies have view in the sea as well, but partial - ie the hotel stays perpendicular to the sea - so then you get to tge balcony - you hace to turn left or right to see the sea. Rooms inside are great - fresh, airconditioned, well serviced. This is above all complements! Food was good, but became boring some 3 days after arrival. I lacked variety if fruits and seafood. Canned shrimps looks not good at carribean-sea hotel.
MINUSES.
1) No present packages for honeymooners, while you as honeymooner wish to have something - t-shirts, free SPA, or even dinner at the beach - and all you get is nothing! Bh arriving to tge hotel you get wet towels and champagne + champagne in the room (we even didnt drink it).
2) Wi fi worked VERY BAD in rooms (almost never - I stayed in 433), it works good in the lobby and sometimes near pools. Some parts of the day it worked nowhere.
3) Limited number of umbrellas near the pools and on the beach - I dont understand why just not to buy 20 more to solve the problem.
PlUSES.
1) Looks really well-managed and kind of luxary, I loved service!
2) Book online via the hotel site - ask the help to made you discount - its 5% ir type "callcenter" in the promotional code field. While booking, i chated with hotel representative and bargained fre zhared van transportation airport-hotel roundtrip (which is worth $100: $65 from airport to hotel and $35 ftom hotel to airport - ghis is how all taxi work there).
Thank you, Sandos. I WOULD DDFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AND COME BACK AGAIN!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Pavlo B
Web Relations C, General Manager at Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing Sandos Cancun, it has been a true pleasure to serve you throughout your stay.

We are very glad to know that you truly enjoyed of our service and accommodations. Here at Sandos Cancun, all of our rooms have partial views to the ocean and to the lagoon, our Superior rooms feature a French window, while our Deluxe rooms have a balcony where you can take a seat and enjoy the wonders of Cancun.

I appreciate you to bring to my attention some opportunity areas that you found in the Resort, it is important to highlight that we have complimentary WiFi access all over the Resort, as well hot wire in rooms, so we can guarantee our guests connection.

Your recommendation is very valuable for us, and we hope to have you back at Sandos Cancun.

Best regards!
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A warm wish to all the lovely staff but with fondest memories go to:Alfredo with his Champagne reception,most helpful and charming friendly manner to the reception staff who were attentive at all times.Our room was marvellous and well maintained by the cleaning staff.
A particular mention to the following:Pool side Bar,Casanova the most amazing waiter who made our daughters 18th Birthday an occasion always to remember.Polite,courteous with impeccable manners.....thank you so much and we miss you.Also to Limberg,Oscar,Christian,Eduardo,Yadira and Blanca for their friendly attention during our stay.
A particular thank you to Seasons Restaurant,Jorge,Arturo who prepared us excellent food throughout our stay and everything we wished for arrived with a smile and magnificently served.
The Beach Staff:Alejandro,Ithiel and Leonardo who took the trouble to write a birthday greeting in the sand on the day of our daughters Birthday and who every day arranged our beds and towels to ensure our maximum comfort and happiness.Courteous,fun and professional.
The Japonese Restaurant Tepanyaki:All the staff especially Tec,were so eager to please,hard working and polite.
The entertainment and theme nights arranged by Sergio,Adan and Becca were outstanding.
Pool activities led by Sergio and Adan also were thoroughly fun and enjoyable.
All in all,the entire staff went of their way to please us and made our holiday one to remember.
This is the second time we have visited Sandos,with careful consideration made to select the best from all those on offer in Cancun.Once again we were not disappointed,and thoroughly recommend this hotel to all those thinking of visiting.An exceptional experience,we did not want to return home to Spain!!!!.For us the whole experience was magical,but a we thank the whole sta. ff in general for making such effort to ensure this vacation was unforgettable in every way.
To finish a special thanks to Martina Rodrigues,the Hotel Manager for overseeing our stay and here devotion to detail and the very professional manner in which her hotel operates.
I hope we have not missed anyone out.
Excellent resort,Amazing staff,great service, very good evening entertainment , stunning aqua marine sea,the best beach by far inc.the Life guard at Sandos ..(forgot his name)
A massive kiss and cuddle to our Mexican family,we are counting the days to our return in September.
We love and miss you all.
Love from Kimberley,Elizabeth and Alexandra.xxx ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberleyjones27
Dear Kimberley, Elizabeth and Alexandra,

Thank you for sharing with us your wonderful experience at Sandos Cancun, creating memories for our guests that last for a lifetime is one of our main goals, we are so glad to know that your daughter’s 18th. birthday was to remember.

From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate such wonderful comments for our staff, we will cherish your words that have been truly inspirational for all of us.

We are looking forward to welcome you back home on September, it will be our pleasure to serve you again.

Warm regards!
Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#50 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort? Share your experiences!