“The best resort, the best people” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Mt. Pleasant
“The best resort, the best people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Secrets the Vine is by far the best resort we, my wife and I, have stayed at. We’ve been to the Riviera coast of Mexico seven or eight times. We’ve stayed in resorts in Playa del Carmen and Cancun in the Hotel Zone. We’ve stayed in expensive, well-thought-of resorts and we’ve gotten away for the cheap, long weekend. But none of those resorts compare to Secrets the Vine as far as the style, the customer service, the cleanliness, the food quality, everything.

FACILITIES–Unbelievable. We were greeted at the door by the head concierge, Zuleica Avila. She walked us up a red carpet into the entry, where we could see the reception desk, the piano bar, The Vine Lounge. The lobby is enclosed and air conditioned. Zuleica and Rod Ghar gave us a tour of the grounds. There are several infinity pools. The beach is nice. There are bars near all the pools and a sit-down restaurant nearby. They, Zuleica and Rod, then walked us up to the room. We were checked-in, in the room. Spend the extra on the preferred. There’s a butler on the floor. He had already put our bag in our room, offered to unpack it. The room was spacious—huge. The shower had a rainfall shower head and traditional shower head. A stocked mini-bar and bottle of Champagne were there as well. The floors appear to be white wood floors but it must be a kind of tile because it’s in the shower as well. The shower is etched glass that sits away from the balcony, so you can see the ocean from your shower but nobody can see in. The bed is firm and comfortable. The gym is spacious with some dumbbells, some barbells, treadmills, cycles, modern Nautilus machines. The spa is nice and clean. We had a couples’ massage. The therapists gave very good massages. Then we were escorted to the relaxation room. Take your bathing suits because from there you have access to sauna, steam room, hot tub, ice bath—more than my wife and I could take in after 90 minutes of being massaged. The hotel is remarkable!

CUSTOMER SERVICE—I was skeptical that the reason everyone just fell over themselves to help us was because we were there the first week the resort opened—first day. Apparently not. Many of the other guests we met had been to other Secrets resorts before and they confirmed that at any Secrets the wait staff remember your name, serve you at the pool or beach, remember what you ordered and the way you liked it made. No joke, you go to sit in your pool chair and reach over to open the umbrella, out of nowhere, there’s a staff member there to open it for you and position it exactly where you want it. That’s quickly followed with, “Mr. ___, can I get you another bottle of water or perhaps a margarita?” I guess the beach furniture hadn’t arrived yet, so when my wife and I decided to move a pool chair to the beach, before I got halfway down the stairs, here came a staff member with another chair and an umbrella. Another example of how eager the staff is to help you, my wife and I were sitting inside the restaurant beside one of the pools. A manager at the restaurant suddenly hurried out the door and across the patio. The urgency was someone at the pool who was beginning to open her own umbrella.
I want to specifically thank Zuleica Avila. Were it not for her willingness to communicate with me prior to the trip, my wife and I would have probably ended up somewhere else. I’m sure it was out of an abundance of caution because we were to arrive opening day, Apple wanted to move us to a different resort. We argued with Apple and talked with Zuleica. I’m not sure what happened after that but Apple called us and said we were good for Secrets the Vine.
Rod Ghar was, to the best of my understanding, in charge of opening the hotel and had been overseeing construction from the beginning. He met us at the door, recognized my wife from facebook, gave us a tour with Zuleica, showed us to our room because he wanted to see our faces when we walked in.
Hugo is the sommelier and Eric is the assistant sommelier. They host a great wine tasting. In addition to scheduled wine tastings, there are tequila tastings. Since we were going to have to leave before the tequila tasting, Eric gave us a private tequila tasting. That was arranged with the help of the entertainment staff, Luis Bana and Sandy Reyes.
Also present and always making sure the guests were taken care of and only bored if they wanted to be were Luis Miguel and Jose Juan (“Winnie the Pooh”). Other staff members who worked hard to make sure we had a great time were Nicolas, who happened to be our waiter two evenings, Blanca, who spent a day taking care of us at the pool, Jesus, who took care of us at breakfast (who knew it was actually a buffet), Daniel, the butler for our floor, Sandra, who checked us in to the hotel in our room and checked us out at the end of our stay, Antonio the head sue chef who was kind enough to give us a tour of some of the kitchens as well as taught a cooking class. I can’t say enough about the staff and their hospitality.

MISCELLANEOUS—You don’t have to make reservations at the restaurants. The only things that don’t seem to be included in the all-inclusive are things like private dinners on the beach, the spa, very high-end bottles of wine. There is also a photography company which will take your photos at various places around the resort, Itzel did an incredible job with our pictures, the resort handed out coupons for free sitting fees and the pictures were quit inexpensive. The place is covered in wifi—the pools, the room, the lobby. And the resort has its own app, which you can make free calls to home and will even keep track of how many miles you’ve logged on the treadmill.

Go to Secrets the Vine. If you can’t, then go to some other Secrets resort. We are sold on it and will be going back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the "preferred."
34 Thank David C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

My husband kept calling it "Secrets, Devine," on accident. We were stunned by the resort and the staff from the moment we entered the doors. The staff is unbeleivable, and they all speak English. If you are standing there without a cocktail or not on your way to the amazing pools, someone sees you and asks what they can do for you. The design is truely relaxing yet ultra modern. The beach is exactly what I remember about this paradise and you can take about ten steps from the pool and you are in the water. This is a upper scale hotel with a fun vibe. The room was fabulous and make sure to request a king size bed. We slept until 11am every day! My only regret is not going along with another couple. We certainly met some amazing people, aka Lori and G.I. Joe from Ohio. We miss you already! But, many people had a few pairs, and they seem to have more fun. The spa is nice but pricey. But, overall this is a value that cannot be beat. We are talking 4 and 1/2 star value at a fraction of the price. Get a high up floor and skip the perferred service as it did not seem worth it. Even if you do not eat every meal there (go out to dinner at least one night to Ruth Chris or Katsuya), it is still a deal compared to none. I would go soon while it is new. I cannot imagine not going back, it is that spectacular. Just try to have a plan on what you want to do as there is so much. This resort is DEVINE!! Thanks to Gustavo and all the other great service people who I cannot remember their names. You were all above our expectaions. I loved te style and architecture of this resort. This is a true, couples paradise!

Room Tip: When making the reservation request a king size bed and a HIGH floor level as the view increases, ob...
25 Thank Sabrina S
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I visited this resort with my wife only eight days after opening, on August 27, for four days. Our experience was absolutely magnificent. I have worked in hospitality industry at the luxury market for 21 years and can tell the difference between service and excellence in service. Secrets The Vine Cancun exceeded all our expectations. We arrived at noon and were welcomed with cool towels, a glass of champagne and more important with a sincere smile. Our room was ready and the whole check in process took less than 5 minutes, a concierge brought our luggage and showed us where everything was. Our room was on the 20 floor with excellent views of ocean and lagoon,inside everything worked perfectly, clear and ample room, large shower with overhead and directional facilities. There are two vanities and among the amenities they include sun tan lotion with SPF 15. They service the room twice a day. We tried every restaurant, in all of them service was impeccable and food of excellent quality made with the freshest ingredients, we love all offerings. Special mention to Chef Carlo from Sea Salt Grill, (peruvian dishes) his ceviche is the best, he came to our table and Recomended one of the fish entrees that was absolutely delicious. The pools are amazing and so is the beach. At this resort you do not have to go to the bars instead the bars come to you, there are servers bringing anything you might think of, also the Chefs come from the kitchen with delicious little dishes and offer them even if you are in the pool. Special mention to Alex (Alejandro) server at the Sugar Reef (bar by the pool) he has the best attitude and will even remember what you drink, everyday when it was time for him to go home he would come by and say bye. On Wednesday the managers offer a welcoming reception at 6:30, it was an opportunity to give feedback and meet them all. In all it was an excellent trip, we can not wait to go back soon. My final recommendation to them was keep doing the good work, to you if you are looking for the best look no further go to Secrets The Vine Cancun.

29 Thank Francisco R
Prescott, Ont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

The most relaxing amazing vacation we have ever been on. If you are already booked at this resort you will not be disappointed and if you are considering booking Do IT. The staff is absolutely amazing! A special thank you to Sandy and Winnie the Pooh from the activity department and our favorite Alex from the Sugar Reef bar.
Absolutely everything about this resort is FANTASTIC we plan on returning yearly for our anniversary.

28 Thank RandyPearl
Beverly Hills, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Where to begin? Well, first, I need to caveat this review with the fact that we arrived on the hotel's second day of being open to the public. Overall, this hotel is amazing. Like any business, they're still ironing out some kinks, but like I said, the hotel is amazing and I would 100% return. Now, here is my detailed review:

Overall Style/Feel of the Hotel: This Secrets location is uber-modern. Lots of clean, sleek, sexy lines. Interesting textures (cool granites, lots of wood, rustic looking fabrics). This hotel has the look and feel of the SLS in Beverly Hills or any of the Mondrian hotels. It exudes a top-of-the-line "sexy" and "sleek" feel.

Service: The staff at this location is beyond amazing. They get an A+++ for service. When you check in, they say "welcome home," and each employee tries their hardest to make sure you are having an amazing time. Shout out to Jean Pierre (manager), Zu at the concierge desk, Joaquin (head butler), Juan (rooms manager), the entertainment team (Jose and Sandy), Gustavo and Alejandro by the pool... the list goes on! The staff at this hotel really was a dream. They even went so far as to remember our names after the first day!

The Rooms: We were on on of the preferred floors. The rooms were comfortable. We had 2 rooms for our party. The first had a king size bed and was very nice. Huge room, great balcony view, nice bathroom. The second had 2 queen beds and was equally as nice, but a bit smaller. As a word of advice, the rooms that have the better view face the ocean (not the lagoon) side and the further you are from the elevator, the better. Rooms are as pictured on the website- very sleek and sexy. There were two drawbacks: the rooms didn't have a full length mirror (makes getting dressed a bit difficult) and that a lot of the TV stations didn't work (but, hey, you're not really there to watch TV).

The Food: Again, top-of-the-line. Very high quality food. The head chef Antonio put together fantastic menus at each restaurant- very upscale. Breakfast at The Market each morning was a joy- I love the decor of this restaurant and the view is amazing. We loved the steak restaurant and the Mediterranean restaurant (olio). The outdoor seating at Olio is very relaxing and the food was prepared perfectly! The Italian restaurant and Asian Fusion restaurants were pretty good. The Peruvian restaurant wasn't a big hit among our group. Meals tend to take some time (about 2 hours), but I think this will change as the kitchen increases staff and they learn to get dishes out quicker. We took 2 tours of the kitchens and I have to say, the kitchens are VERY clean and operated very efficiently! If you like good food, you will be very pleased with the food at this Secrets.

Pools/Beach: The pools are very nice. Perfect temperature, nice layout and comfortable chairs. There are some games for people to play, as well- basketball, ping pong, etc. The beach is FANTASTIC. One of the things I have learned by visiting Cancun is that sometime the nicest hotels have the rockiest beaches and they're virtually unswimmable. Not the case for this location. Soft, white sand, and lovely blue water. No rocks. The temperature of the water was perfect. Very attentive beach staff- get you chairs, towels, drinks, etc. I was very pleased.

The Spa: The spa is stunning. Very relaxing. I had Marcos for my masseuse and would recommend him. You have to wear your swimsuit in the sauna, steamroom and pools, as a heads up.

ETC: The hotel offered yoga each morning and I was fortunate enough to be able to attend a few classes. There is nothing nicer than doing morning yoga while watching/listening to the beautiful ocean. Fantastic instructors. The hotel has a really great coffee bar that makes delicious drinks and has yummy snacks ALL DAY! The hotel had zero bugs. The hotel offered daily wine tastings and coffee tastings, which was something fun and different. The evening entertainment was OK, but I've found that hotel entertainment is rarely that amazing. As far as a night-life goes, the hotel has a piano bar and sports bar. The hotel also arranged outings each night to the downtown clubs. I didn't go on any of these trips, but if you like that kind of thing, it's convenient that the hotel arranges it for you.

All in all, it was a delightful trip. The hotel is very luxurious and we had a very enjoyable trip. I rarely return to the same hotel in Mexico, but I would 100% return to Secrets: The Vine!

Room Tip: Rooms that end in 00 are furthest away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
83 Thank Ava A
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

The Vine is the most amazing place. We have been here six days and leaving tomorrow. We have enjoyed all The Vine has to offer from the amazing meals and wines to the wonderful staff who you cannot fault. The coffee shop girls are very attentive and the coffees are all great, we tried them all!
The one downside is the selling of the unlimited vacations club. After check in you are directed to a desk on the left to pick up maps and coupons attached to the hotel booking. Here you are given some very helpful info on the area and then "invited to take a tour". This is where you run away. DO NOT AGREE TO THE TOUR. Stupidly, we were taken in by the assertions that it wasn't timeshare and that there would be no pressure, just a tour to show you what is offered at the resort. Well, don't believe any of it, it is a blatant selling of holiday time which starts at just under $40,000 US for the cheapest option and 16per cent interest for the loan component. Our "tour" included being asked to show our wedding rings to prove we were married (as registered guests of the hotel, this was insulting). A wait of 30 mins for an associate, a lift malfunction, a room key that didn't work to the show apartment meaning a wait for a hotel staff member to open it for us all compounded the time blow out to nearly 3 hours. The final talks were not as promised, they were persistently aggressive and pushy with 3 or 4 people involved all asking similar questions and pushing you. The final appearance was from Pablo who proceeded to belittle us and feign incomprehension as to why we wouldnt buy a package. There are alot of people hanging on the commissions from these sales which partly explains the high costs involved. Some are on the bottom rungs so we did not feel comfortable complaining about them but maybe that is all part of the hook of these schemes. You feel sorry for the little people at the bottom. The final insult comes when you receive your voucher. The compensation for wasting your valuable time is a voucher for $200 to use at the spa which turns out to have so many limitations it is almost useless. We chose one 50 min Swedish massage for both of us ( the minimum time allowed) and still had a bill of $80 to pay at the end. In other words it is not free with the coupon and if you were not planning on booking a massage on this holiday you end up with an extra charge because of the voucher. So much for compensation!
I attempted to make an appointment to complain about the experience and spoke to the American who appeared to be in charge but he failed to follow through or contact me later as I asked him to. I do not recommend anyone to take this tour.

The hotel is a classy and luxurious venue. It was a wonderful holiday and we would love to return at a later date. The association with the vacation club selling is a negative and disappointing aspect of your holiday experience, don't let it spoil yours. Visit this marvellous resort but steer clear of the dishonest selling scheme.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
87 Thank Mmmiko
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Staying anywhere the first week they are open is always a gamble. Stayed for four days. I will say they at least staff tried, but I have broken down the areas into categories for those want to know details:

Check-In: 2 out of 5
Nightmare. Seemed as though not one person behind the desk knew what they were doing. Again, let’s have a manager or someone who can help. It took at least 30 minutes and not a great first impression. And of course room was not ready (2PM), so they said come back. No, here is a map, go grab a bite or drink, nothing. So I had to figure out everything on my own.

Room: 4 out of 5
Very nice room layout and furniture. Had a Jr. Suite (on Preferred Floor), with HUGE shower (literally could fit 10 people in it easy)--there is no tub, nice balcony with perfect view of ocean and lagoon. Mini-bar had some beer and cokes...nothing special.

Room Noise : 2 out of 5
Don’t plan on a restful night sleep, as there is about a 2 inch crack at the bottom of the door, and you can hear everything. From maids screaming at each other down the hall, to the drunks at 1 AM. Doors slamming, room service carts, etc. The other equation to the room noise, is that the balconies literally have no solid surface between them, so you guessed it, you can hear if anyone on either side is on their balcony. Very annoying at 6AM or 2AM.

Food: 3 out of 5
Food is okay. Really lacks flavor. I think the best meal was breakfast, but again kind of plain and lacking flavor. Your standard Mexican breakfast buffet, cook to order omelets, etc. First night one restaurant was closed. I tried the Japanese one, and got and left after the service was so bad. Then went to buffet, and food was not great, so went to room and ordered room service. That was a mistake--it’s horrible food. Room service food tasted like plain paper--again no flavor. Service at other restaurants was about what I expected--no one really knew what they were doing, or know anything on the menu. The food by the pool was okay--they would grill meat and chicken. Okay, but kinda boring after day two. There where some sanitary issues that kept me from eating it--cross contamination. I watched the cook, take pieces of raw chicken on the tongs, place it on the grill, then use same tongs to serve other food! That is when I decided I didn’t want to eat that! Eat at Sea Salt grill at pool--it’s your best choice and good food.

Drinks: 3 out of 5
I would not say true premium liquor and will use cheap stuff unless you specify. The inside bar (which is very nice by the way), the bartender kept using a jigger to get an exact measurement for everything--come on. The house wine that they serve throughout the property is not great, but I realize you aren’t going to get good for free.

Pool: 4 out of 5
There are 4 pools. Three on main level, and one on Preferred Level. Everyone was at main level. The downside, cheap furniture. I know that they are still expecting their good furniture, but it was horrible. Also, several days they closed different pools or all, so they could do photo shoots. Kinda of a pain for those of us trying to enjoy our vacation! Not many activities by the pool, but drink service was decent. They really didn’t have much furniture for beach, so that was not the place to spend time. There was only one pool that was really used, so getting a chair could be difficult. You could go to another pool, but there is no breeze at one and VERY hot.

Nightlife: 1 out of 5.
There isn’t any. Well, they do have a Piano Bar, but like most things, seemed hit or miss as to if it was open. They need more organized fun things for people.

Overall, the resort itself if nicely decorated and has great architecture. A lot of kinks to be worked out before I would go back. It was hard to relax when one thing after another was a problem--primarily service.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on Preferred Floors--didn't get anything out of it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank texex91
SecretsTheVine, E-Concierge at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear Texex91,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your last stay at our resort.

We are sad to hear that some of our services do not meet your expectation and we sincerely present our apologies.

We regret to know that we didn’t get the opportunity to react and offer you a very pleasant stay as the rest of our guests have mentioned on their reviews. Our guest’s satisfaction is our main motor for our daily work.

We have shared your comments with our team in order to constantly improve and offer an unforgettable experience to each guest.

We hope that in a near future we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Secrets The Vine Cancún allowing us the opportunity to host you and provide you a pleasant stay.

Sincereley,

Zuleica Ávila
E-Concierge
info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,576 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!