“Nice but be aware of the high extra charge per person”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice but be aware of the high extra charge per person”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The resort is very nice, see below my review of the resort. However, be aware that they charge about 200$ per person per night extra if somebody is sharing the room with you. When I checked in, my reservation was for king size bed ocean view for one adult, I was charged 200$ per night extra for my wife. I was surprised because I felt it is too expensive because I do not think any normal person would eat/drink for 200$ per day. I was expecting something around 100$ extra per night from what it was mentioned in the forums. I asked to lower the charge but they did not accept. They do not have this rate on their site.
My advise is when you do your research and booking, take this into consideration, because other high end all-inclusive hotels charges the same for one vs two adults or with a less difference of around 100$ per night for one vs two adults.
Regarding the resort, it is very nice. The staff is very friendly and nice, the restaurants are excellent with nice selection (Italian, Japanese, Steakhouse, Mediterranean, Mexican...). The hotel is very clean and contemporary, the beach is very nice and clean. The gym and the view from the gym is amazing.
I like to give a special thanks to Sunday and Britney in the entertainment team. They were creative, friendly, hard working and excellent.

1 Thank eskandar y
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear eskandar y,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your kind review, we are glad to read that you have enjoyed our resort's facilities, great attentive service, magnificent accommodations, food selection, gym and we feel especially honored by your compliments to Sunday & Britney.

We offer you our apologies if our rates for the extra person were not as expected; to add an extra person to the reservation the cost currently is 210 usd per person per night. All rates may vary this is the main reason we do not have this information permanently on any site, therefore we kindly advise our readers to reach us for this rates at reservations2.sevcu@secretsresorts.com

We try to make ourselves available by having a Website, Email, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram, Tripadvisor and Foursquare in order to solve any doubt that our guests might have before their arrival.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share your overview with us and sincerely hope we have the opportunity of being your hosts one more time in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Tel:(52) 998 8489400

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2013

You absolutely must stay at the Secrets The Vine in Cancun...

My wife and I have visited many, many places in Mexico and this is the best of the best...

The most helpful and polite happy staff...ALL OF THEM...

The best food...

The nicest gym...with great equipment...

Excellent exercise classes... Yoga, Spin, etc...

VERY Energetic and friendly Entertainment Staff...

I cannot say enough...

This was like a trip to heaven...

ENJOY!!!!

1 Thank Michael E
Dear Michael E,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share such an enthusiastic review about your recent visit to Secrets The Vine Cancun.

We are overjoyed to read that you have enjoyed your stay, specially our Staff, Food, Gym Equipment, Fitness classes and our cheerful entertainment team.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your experience with us.

We look forward to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is one of the best resorts I've stayed at in Cancun/Riviera Maya (of about 15). All rooms are ocean views, no wristbands, tons of beach and pool chairs, and the best buffet food I've experienced at an all-inclusive resort. The piano bar turns into a fun disco at night. The decor is really interesting and the hallways are beautifully lit. The specialty restaurants we tried were all excellent and the wine-tasting was too. Shout-out to the awesome sommelier who gave us some extra tastings because the previous group ran a bit late.
The rooms are simply stunning. The only negatives were not enough plugs for our digital age and the bathroom lighting is a bit dark for women "of a certain age".
The Hard Rock Cancun is next door, and although we didn't hear any noise from there, some other guests told us they stood on the beach and listened to a concert the weekend before. Bonus!
All in all a fabulous resort I can't wait to stay at again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CherylAS
Dear CherylAS,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets The Vine Cancun.

Our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks in regards of the room. On the other hand we are overjoyed to read that you have enjoyed your overall stay and the Sommelier's extra wine tasting offered.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience. Our team looks forward to having you back in a not too distant future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Secrets the Vine last week. Many thanks to our long-time travel agent, Amy McHugh of Dream Makers Vacation Services who booked us into this vacation. We usually vacation twice a year at Sandals resorts throughout the Caribbean but decided to try something different this trip. We booked a preferred club jr suite suite and received a complimentary upgrade to the preferred club honeymoon suite. This room was gorgeous and just as pictured on their website. The balcony was huge and L-shaped with a view of the ocean on one side and the Hard Rock hotel and the bay on the other side. The shower is huge and has 2 rain shower heads. There is privacy glass in the shower and also on the door to the separate toilet room. The room had a separate jacuzzi tub facing the balcony. The king bed was comfortable as well.

Service is what made our trip! The employees at Secrets the Vine were all super-nice and helpful. Never met anyone who wasn't smiling and seeming to enjoy their job. Bartenders were quick to serve you and the roving waiters/waitresses always remembered your drink order.

The restaurants were all good with Olio being our favorite with Nebbiolo being our second favorite. The others were good but we enjoyed these more. We tried room service on three occasions and all three times our orders arrived in the time frame expected and were correct. We enjoyed having the mini breakfast buffet on the 21st floor as a quick way to get a bite to eat after going to the gym each morning. We also enjoyed Sea Salt for lunch one day and also enjoyed the self-serve bar near Sea Salt for lunch. There is no way to hungry here. Or thirsty! The bars had great drinks served in the appropriate glass for the style of cocktail. And the lattes and cappacinos were great in the lobby coffee bar. We enjoyed the sports bar and the many televisions to watch during prime sports times.

The entertainment team was great and I enjoyed doing water aerobics with Victor most days. There were interesting activities that didn't require too much energy. Something was always going on around the pool deck without any loud advertisements for them (a plus!) It was easy to take part... or not. We didn't spend anytime at the preferred club pool as we wanted a bit more activity. We were at the main pool or the smaller pool by Manatees bar each day. There was one other pool that was behind the Manatees pool that was fairly quiet too. There were always loungers available and lots of umbrellas out. A few times, due to high winds, we had to put our umbrellas down. This was for guest safety reasons and were were eager to comply with the request.

The spa was lovely and we had great massages here one afternoon. Watch out for specials from the roving spa concierge or in the daily activities sheet.

We had EXCELLENT housekeeping each morning and evening. Our room was usually clean before 9-10 a.m. and turndown came after 7:30 pm or so once we left the room to go to dinner. Our mini-bar was always full and serviced during the day as well. We really enjoyed the Pringles and M&Ms snacks each day in our mini-bar. We also enjoyed the daily activities sheet that came at turndown so that we could plan out our next day's adventures. This sheet also lists the restaurants that are open that next day along with a reminder on the dress code for each of them. Spa specials, excursions, birthday, anniversary and wedding wishes were also on the sheet.

All in all, we had a wonderful vacation and were glad we got out of our usual routine and tried something new. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Go for the preferred club!
6 Thank Gina L
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear SunLovers731,

It is a pleasure to read through such a detailed overview of your visit to Secrets The Vine Cancun. We sincerely appreciate the time invested on writing this review.

We were delighted that you've enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we've been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

Once again, we appreciate your kind comments of our resort and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Secrets the Vine, immediately following our wedding at another resort in the Riviera Maya. I can honestly say that The Vine has been the best all-inclusive resort I've stayed at (which includes others in Mexico, Cuba and DR). If you look hard enough, you'll find a few issues at any resort, but the few we noticed (which I will point out below) were so insignificant that they really didn't have much of an impact on our stay at all.

Food: The food was probably the best I've had at an all-inclusive. From reading other people's mixed reviews, it might vary depending on the dish you order but I found the red shrimp curry at Dragons to be my favourite, followed by the fettucini at the Italian restaurant, then the pad thai at Dragons. My wife and I were both a bit disappointed in our steaks at Bluewater Grill (rib-eye and beef fillet), but I think the disappointment was only in that the food wasn't as delicious as the other meals we had - it was still pretty good! The buffet was also of a much higher quality than I typically expect of all-inclusives. They had a pretty good selection and most of what I tried was tasty. A few reviewers have commented on getting sick - we didn't, but honestly you do hear about this at almost every resort. Whatever the reason is, some people get sick when they come to Mexico and I don't think it is fair to lay blame on the resort. Our food always tasted fresh, and even the food that wasn't too our liking was cooked well. If you eat raw seafood, you're taking a bit of a risk no matter where you are.

Service: Top-notch. We were treated like VIP's for our entire stay. From the moment we arrived at the front door and were shown to our rooms with a pretty painless check-in, to the champagne and flowers they surprised us with in our room one evening, to the breakfast in bed... plus whenever we needed anything, someone was always there to help us. Our flight wasn't until the evening, so we had a couple of hours to kill after check-out and the concierge provided us with a hospitality suite where we could take showers before leaving, which gave us a bit more sun time while we waited.

Facilities: We stayed in a Preferred Club suite which gave us access to a pool and bar on the 12th floor, as well as the preferred lounge on the 21st floor and a concierge on our floor with a private butler. We didn't really use the preferred lounge (it was basically just a small room with snacks and drinks), but we spent most of our days at the preferred pool as their shaded cabanas were almost always available, and it was a very peaceful place to relax and unwind after our wedding. The only issue here was that the door to access the preferred pool sometimes would not read our card keys and the door wouldn't unlock. Thankfully there were other access points where the doors worked just fine. Another issue that wasn't much of an issue for us since we didn't spend much time there was with people "reserving" the shaded lounge chairs at the main pool by placing towels and a magazine or book on the chair and then wandering off. These chairs were never available and we once saw from our balcony early in the morning that people would walk out and set something on the chairs to "claim" them for the day, before leaving again. Just seeing it made me a bit annoyed, but thankfully we barely spent any time there so I will forgive that one! However I will note that if I had seen a staff member removing said towels and magazines, that person would have been my hero - I probably would have done it myself had we been spending more time at that pool!

Overall, our stay at Secrets The Vine was very memorable and we were quite sad to be leaving at the end of our stay. Whenever we return, The Vine will be at the top of our list of resorts to stay at.

1 Thank cbrunet_11
Dear cbrunet_11,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets The Vine Cancun.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the special amenities and facilities delivered to Preferred Club guests, we are also glad that you had enjoyed our food selection and of course the kind of service that we take pride in offering to our guests.

Also, we have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Please be certain that all your feedback has reached our Management and we will work in the aspects you reviewed on your stay.

British Columbia, Canada

The great!:

We had a mini-honeymoon at Secrets the Vine from December 18-22, 2013. We booked a preferred club ocean-view room (#2605) and our room and the view were gorgeous. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as special guests by the staff on the 26th floor. We liked that the staff took the time to remember our names and ask how our room was whenever they saw us near the elevator. We faced to the south (Hard Rock hotel) side, which I recommend, as you get to see the gorgeous evening sunsets from your balcony.

We had a “Just Married” banner on our door upon arrival (we were married two days earlier), and there was a surprise romantic turndown service one night. The extra touches, like hand-writing our name in glitter gel on a banner on the bed, were definitely noticed. The romantic breakfast in bed was also really nice.

There was music for most of the day in the regular pools, so we took advantage of the preferred status and spent our time at the pool on the 12th floor. It was quieter (often some jazzy-ish music, but not very loud) and definitely more conducive to our relaxing! It was always easy to find a chair or cabana. We also noticed that the preferred pool, because it was higher up, had sunlight for longer in the day. One day at 3 PM we were still basking in the sun, while most of the main pool was still shaded.

We found the food, including the buffets, to be of great quality and neither of us had any stomach problems noted by other recent reviews. We ate at Dragons (2x), Blue Water Grill and Nebbiolo. We never had to wait for a table. The first meal we had at Dragons was the best, followed by the Italian one. We also watched part of a Canucks hockey game at the Sports Bar. My husband thought it was pretty awesome that they could show this. Plus he also learned here that they had a darker Modelo beer on tap.

Our favourite employee was Jimmy, one of the waiters from the Italian restaurant. His friendliness and happy demeanour was contagious! Wish we had more time and could go back and see him again. Our second favourite employee was with the sommelier, Camila. She was quite lovely and we enjoyed the wine tastings with her. I believe we were there for Argentina, California and Spanish days.

The not-so-great:

I would agree with previous reviewers that the hallways can be a bit noisy. The first night I was awoken a few times by people walking and talking in the halls. I didn’t seem to notice the noise after that though. We never ordered room service, but one day we asked for a bucket of ice so we could chill some champagne and after 50 minutes nothing had shown up. Not a big deal, we went to the preferred lounge and asked for some. We also received an apology note from our butler the next day apologizing for this (it really wasn’t a big deal to us).

Dragons was the only restaurant that we went to where they tried to upsell us wine. I wasn’t as impressed the second time we went there, they messed up my order, and I wasn’t a huge fan of the giant plate of rice I was given (an entree from the Chinese menu). Also I had ordered salmon sashimi, but ended up being given a sashimi salad instead, which contained raw scallops. I’m okay eating raw fish, but am a bit leary of raw shellfish, so I didn’t eat it.

I don’t know what the issue was, but it often took 2-3 minutes to get the card to read my key to get access to the preferred pool. I would just have to stand there swiping it until it would finally work. In the regular pool area, I did notice that some of the nice, shadier cabanas were being reserved, which is always a problem at any resort. Pool chairs weren’t hard to come by, but it was frustrating that these nice spots were being reserved.

We had to check out at 12:00 PM, but our flight wasn’t until later that evening. There was a hospitality room we were able to use for a quick shower before we had to leave for the airport though. Unfortunately once you check out, you lose your internet access privileges, which was kind of lame as we then had no way to check flight status/browse the web as we waited.

Also – we were supposed to get coupons when you check in, but they don’t make it easy for you to get them. We kept seeing notes left in our room telling us to go find someone in the preferred lounge before 6PM to pick them up. We ended up not bothering, as we were pretty sure this would turn in to some sales pitch.

Overall:

I wish we had our destination wedding here, rather than the resort we had chosen (unfortunately we couldn’t because there were kids attending). I would definitely recommend this resort and we would certainly consider coming back here, or to another Secrets resort again in the future.

Room Tip: I recommend the preferred club, and a room facing the Hard Rock (south) side of the hotel.
Dear Kimberly S,

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our resort, on the other hand we have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay at secrets the vine.The staff were amazing,we felt like royalty.Nothing was to much trouble.The entertainment team were brilliant, Sunday well wanted him to come home with us. Bar staff amazing mixing us those lovely cocktails.
Our room faced the Hard Rock Hotel no problem with noise.Stayed in room 1021, could not fault it.
We had 2 days rain but were kept entertained, yes we will return but maybe change the time of year.
Food , people whom complain must be very hard to please, we enjoyed !
Pool areas well maintained, clean and spacious and once again all the staff amazing.
Thankyou To You All

Room Tip: Room 1021 no problem with any noise and view of pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank irene h
Dear irene h,

On behalf of the entire staff of Secrets The Vine Cancun we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our resort. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to the Mexican Caribbean.

Thank you for posting such a great note about your recent stay with us. We will share your wonderful comments with our Entertainment Team as we are certain that they will be glad to read such remarkable notes.

We would certainly be glad to have you back. Please feel confident to reach us prior your next visit at info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com if you need assistance prior arrival.

We look forward to welcome you back home,