“no sound barriers in rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Scituate, Massachusetts
“no sound barriers in rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We just returned from Secrets the Vine with 11 people after an 8 day stay. We had read the reviews that the rooms near the elevators were noisy and that was an understatement. all the rooms are loud, there is no barrier between the doors and hallway so you can hear everyone as if they were in your room(poor design). also the showers and toilets are glass doors so be comfortable with your partner when you go. the food was ok but if you go to Dragon or Nebbilio they have a habit of saying there are no menus when you sit to hold you off from ordering which I found strange. We were Unlimited vacation members but because we were not on the 21st floor and above they did not treat us to the VIP benefits saying we were not preferred which we were. There is a doctor on site which was good because we had 2 people with Montezuma's revenge but one had to go to the hospital and they wanted $1200 for an iv for which they negotiated down to $400 and 2 hours not 5 hours as they had suggested. its sad you have to bargain for your heath. the pools are amazing and the 12th floor pool is a bonus. it was windy so difficult to participate in activities in the lower pool level. the entertainment directors Bethany, Kendall and Sunday were the best part of the resort. they made the fun happen either at the resort or in downtown Cancun. Thank goodness for them. I do think the secrets resort in Jamaica was far better but this is mexico.

Room Tip: definitely stay away from rooms near the elevator
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tom h
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear tom h,

We sincerely apologize if our services did not meet your expectations. We kindly would like to invite you to reach us at info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com with further details about your stay. Your remarks are truly valuable for us.

Tel:(52) 998 8489400

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We just returned from our second trip to Secrets the Vine. Another amazing time at this resort. Quick checkin just like last time. We booked a preferred room and thought it would be the same preferred room as last year but it was smaller and not on the Hard Rock side room 2524. We did get what we paid for but we were a bit disappointed. We did try and see about paying for an upgrade and we were told there were no suites on the Hard Rock side that were available for upgrade. We were willing to pay up to $450 total for a front corner suite or a little less for a Preferred room on the Hard Rock side. The surprise came when we saw the hotel was only 60% full and a guest in the preferred pool said it was their first time there and got a free upgrade to preferred on the Hard Rock side. We basically only sleep in the room and we ended up being glad that they didn't meet our request for a paid upgrade. In the end it is no big deal and we liked our room and had a great time.

People on here complain about Timeshare people. In our two stays we have never been approached once for a timeshare/vacation club presentation. It is interesting talking to people and hear about all the different offers that are made for the vacation club. I would not sign for one without talking to at least a dozen people to find out their deals. Then think about running it by a financial advisor.

Service was incredible and even better than last year. Especially at the Preferred Pool. I can not compliment the staff there enough. All the servers by the pool are nice, helpful, attentive and provide service with a smile. They are very accommodating to any of your requests and proactively ask if you need anything. They make a point of trying to know you by name. Alex did an awesome job making sure there was a place for us and keeps things running smooth.

Restaurants were great. We went to the Dragon and Italian places three times each. Steak once. Great service there as well.

The beach service was great as well. Because it was a little windy we decided to spend more time up at the preferred pool.

Last year in the lobby bar we witnessed an older lady fall on the steps to the lobby bar and really hurt herself. There are steps there that are marked with a non skid type tape. The steps however are a strange size (long) and have no handrails at all. My wife fell this time and injured her knee real bad. Fortunately it was the last night and she went to a specialist today and the X-rays show it is just a bruise and nothing is broken. Apparently many people fall on these steps. I actually almost fell going up them one night. There should be a metal hand rail that goes down the middle from the top to the bottom of these two steps. It would bring better attention to the steps being there and reduce injuries.

Overall the trip was awesome. We had a great time. We had friends join us and have referred many to visit this resort. We would definitely return if the price remains the same or less. Hopefully to a lobby bar area with hand rails on the steps.

Tips are not required. But these workers do their best to make your experience 5 Stars. We spend a month or two saving our $1 and $5 bills to make sure we have a good supply to thank these workers who work so hard.

1 Thank welovemexicoais
Dear welovemexicoais,

Thank you for choosing us again to stay, it was a real pleasure for us to welcome you back home.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. On the other hand please be certain that all your feedback has reached our Management and we will review the aspects you have highlighted on your stay.

We would certainly be glad to have you back . Please feel confident to reach us prior your next visit at info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com if you need assistance prior arrival.

We look forward to welcome you back home.

Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Decided we needed to get away from this years brutal northeast winter and booked a last minute trip to Cancun as I'm sure many others have. Found the best price for Secrets The Vine on Travelocity and immediately booked. Will never use Travelocity again but that's another review. Here's my opinion on Secrets The Vine.

CHECK IN:
We arrived around noon so a room was not ready for us but we changed clothes and headed out to the pool area for cocktails and a snack. Came back at 3, room was ready and we were taken up, however, we were not given an ocean view that we paid for. Or anything I would consider an ocean view after 28 trips to Cancun. I mean, it could have been an ocean view had I hung off the side of the balcony but no, not what I expected. I showed the confirmation from Travelocity and they said it's not in their system and the hotel was full so they could give me a new room the next day. Not the way I wanted to start a long weekend getaway but, thankfully, they did as they promised and not only called us the next day, but moved us as promised into a glorious Preferred Club room. Thank you Victor!

ROOM:
The rooms are absolutely breathtaking, even the smaller room that we only spent one night in. They were very modern and chic with comfortable beds and everything you could possibly need. Ladies, feel free to leave the hair dryers and toiletries at home. They provide you with nice products. Conair 1875 watt hair dryer, 4 oz shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, as well as disposable shaver, mini shaving cream, SPF 15, travel size Colgate Total toothpaste, toothbrush, mini Listerine. The only thing I ended up taking out of my bag was a hairbrush, facial products and makeup. Had I known this before hand, I certainly would have left my entire toiletries bag at home and saved the $25 checked bag fee. I would have only given 3 stars if we were stuck in the first room on the 10th floor facing the Hard Rock because the view is very important to us and we were led to believe that was an ocean view, which it is not, but since we were moved to the 26th floor, I give 5 stars for the rooms and amenities. If a view is important to you, I highly recommend booking a preferred room as their definition of ocean view may not be the same as yours.

POOL / LOUNGERS / BEACH:
The pools are lovely here, and I never found them to be over crowded. The hotel was at 100% capacity during our stay and I also did not notice the towel game being played too bad. The hotel staff puts towels on all of the chairs every morning. They are rolled nicely on every chair. Some people did leave their things on chairs but you could tell the difference and there was always a spot. If you encounter a problem, just ask a staff member. Hotel guests are asked not to leave their things on chairs for longer than 30 minutes so they will be moved if you can't set up somewhere. We spent most of our time on the beach which was lovely. I'm not sure why people are saying the beach is narrow here, I didn't find that to be the case at all. In fact, it was the complete opposite. Visiting Cancun a few months after Wilma, and many times since then, I know what a narrow beach is, and I'm pleased to say that Cancun beaches are looking fantastic and better than ever!

RESTAURANTS:
We didn't get to try them all but we loved Bluewater Grill, the filet was a little tough but the short rib was fantastic!!! Dragons was also amazing, we had dinner there twice! Sushi was fresh and delicious as were the cooked entrees although the rib eye I received during our second visit was way too fatty and I didn't even eat it. The dessert made up for it though, fried ice cream with chocolate ganache. Um yes, please! I did not care for the lunch buffet at all which was not really an issue because I much more enjoy dining outdoors during the day and Sea Salt and Olio had fantastic lunches. I think Sea Salt has the best guacamole I've ever eaten and Olio had some interesting choices that I wouldn't normally order but after trying them all, the portions are tiny, I was more than satisfied! We didn't bother to venture out of the room for breakfast because the view was just too amazing so we had room service every morning and it was fantastic. Eggs made to order, garlic sausage (only available on the door card room service menu, oddly), hash browns, toast, fresh fruits, orange juice and coffee. Everything was perfect. My husband does tend to eat between meals on vacation and did not find the rest of the room service menu from noon to 6 am to be very appealing, although he must have liked the wings because he ordered them more than twice. Menus are limited but don't be afraid to try something, I tried a lot of things I normally wouldn't and loved it all.

DRINKS:
I think Secrets has the best frozen drinks I've ever had in Cancun. I highly recommend the Mudslide Madness for mornings. The Mango Bananas for afternoons and Tequila Sunrise for anytime. The mojitos were delicious also and I prefer mine with Ketel One which they made for me with no problem. Top shelf liquor is available throughout the many bars, just ask for it.

SPA:
I did not use the spa this time around, the prices were a little steep. I can get an hour massage at home for $80 so I wasn't spending double that for a massage in Cancun. I really just wanted to lay on the beach and enjoy the warm air anyway.

HOUSEKEEPING:
Great for the most part. The room was cleaned daily at about noon but we only received turn down service twice. I enjoy turndown service just for the extra towels and chocolate mints on the pillow but it's not something I'm going to nit pick about either. The mini bar was re-stocked daily although we didn't use much of it as we were drinking frozen things with fancy fruits and umbrellas during the majority of our stay. :)

SERVICE:
The service was awesome at Secrets. Everyone said hello, asked how your stay is going and many even remembered our names. I do think tips are expected slightly more at this resort than others I've stayed at, which I don't mind. They work hard and they deserve to be tipped well. Such amazing, friendly people! Our butler was nice, but we didn't see him very often which wasn't a big deal as we really didn't need him for anything other than to take a few pictures. Thanks again for that!

OVERALL:
This resort could very well be my new favorite in Cancun since The Royal has been bought out by the Hyatt. Boo! That was our numero uno for several years. However, I'm not sure I could afford to book the Preferred Room we were given next time so I'm not sure that we would go back unless I was offered an incredible deal as a view is very important to us. If you can afford it, by all means, do not hesitate! I will most certainly try to get back again soon, perhaps a second job will help. :)

Room Tip: If you want a great view, book a preferred room.
5 Thank BeachBlondie
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear BeachBlondie,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at our resort.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed the view of our Preferred Club Suites. We are also delighted to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and special amenities delivered to Preferred Club guests, like the extra amenities in the bathroom (SPF, Toothpaste, Shaving cream, etc.), and the fine liquor (Ketel One).

It's very important that we mention that all of our suites are ocean view since from all of them you can see the ocean, by the position of our suites you always have a double view which allows you to look also to the lagoon for the sunsets. Frontal views of the ocean can be found at Oceanfront suites and higher floors are in Preferred Club suites.

We are sorry to read that the first room assigned didn't reached your expectations and we are glad that there was availability for something else.

It's a pleasure for us to read that you have enjoyed of our staff's attentive service, facilities and food options available.

Again thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcome you back home!

Sincerely yours,

uttoxeter,staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We arrived refreshed after our virgin upperclass flight which I can also highly recommend.This was our first time to Mexico and we were pleased with our choice of hotel.We had booked a preferred junior suite on the 26th floor close to the ocean on the Hard Rock Hotel side which gets the sun at this time of year we stayed 25th February to 8th March,We had one day during are stay when the noise coming from the Hard Rock was exceptionally loud it lasted from 12 midday to 17.00hrs but that was only the once.We had a smooth check in on the 21st floor,the extra for the preferred level to me was well worth it,we had a fantastic butler called Miriam who made sure are 30th Wedding Anniversary was celebrated and always asked if we needed anything during our stay.You have the use of the preferred pool area which is much more of a relaxing atmosphere and private than by the main pools,you also have the use of the executive lounge which has a bar area in the evenings which we always went to for pre- dinner drinks Jorge and his " brother" were exceptional bartenders.
The food was good,we only ever had dinner in the oriental and steak restaurants,lunchtime we had meals at Ollios on the preferred floor.
What makes this hotel is the staff they work exceptionally hard and always have a smile and a warm welcome anytime of the day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank denand
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear denand,

We are sorry about the noise caused by other hotels, unfortunately it is not on our hands, the only suggestion for those times is closing the balcony door and using "white noise".

On the other hand we are glad to know that you have enjoyed the facilities and special amenities delivered to Preferred Club guests.

Your comments will serve as an inspiration to our team to continue working with passion, we look forward to welcome you back home in a near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in January 2014. We stayed on the preferred side and we were so impressed we bought a membership to the Unlimited Vacation Club which we bought into that stay. The restaurants are all fabulous (make reservations when you arrive), the private pool on the upper balcony has great views looking out towards the water (see attached picture) and the butler service is a treat which is provided for each floor on preferred side. We will go back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side you get views of ocean great sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paulenich
Dear paulenich,

On behalf of the entire staff of Secrets The Vine Cancun we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our resort.

We were delighted that you've enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. We sincerely look forward to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.

Morrisville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I've been home for 5 days now and was missing the place my last night there. I am a travel agent so seeing how things operate at this facility was very important to me.

ARRIVAL: I am partnered with Delta Vacations. You should be handed papers by the personnel on the plane: one for immigration and one for customs. I only received one so had to fill the other one out after waiting and leaving the line. Small glitch and not an enormously big deal but something that would have been nice to have. After clearing customs you pass "seller's row" in where you are fresh meat to all the people trying to sell you this and that. It was really awkward but hit them with a firm no gracias and keep it moving. Once my husband and I found the Delta rep, they took our luggage and we were on our way. It was just us and another couple so one stop to the resort wasn't bad.

Every time you enter the hotel you need to give your last name and room number and after we did that our bags were tagged and we were greeted with champagne and a cold towel while being led to the front desk. We got our keys and walked and talked with Daniel up to our room which was on the 10th floor room 1018. I booked run of the house so we had two double beds. A king or two double beds, I could care less. We had a great view of the ocean one the right and the lagoon on the left from our balcony and slept with the door open to hear its lullaby.

This place is truly amazing. It's being cleaned all day. Everyone is super nice. Entertainment team does something every day so if you are bored it's because you don't know whats going on. Alan and Sunday are the best!

FOOD: The cafe bar was cute and had great coffee. The main breakfast buffet was really good and had a large variety. The breakfast at Dragons was more Mexican food focused and smaller options but still good. Olio was very tasty and the shrimp were large. Blue Water had great steak and desserts. Neblio's (spelling?) again produced good food. Sea Salt Grill nailed it. The buffet right next to it was good for a quick snack. The Sports Bar was good comfort food. My only qualm for the food was Dragons dinner. It wasn't Asian at all. I love Asian food and it was the furthest from it. The sushi was soggy and melted in your mouth. Ew. There weren't many kinds without cream cheese in them either. My sweet and sour chicken lacked any Asian essence. Get a chef in there who really knows how to make Asian cuisine to teach them what to do. People complain about portions. Then order more! You can have as much or as little as you want. They are not going to judge you or tell you no. You paid for it already. One instance my husband and I each order two entrees and appetizers and the waiter didn't even flinch (or care). But seriously, some places the portions are baby sized.

ROOM: Beautiful, clean, modern. Rain shower was sexy and the lighting system was fun to figure out. The noise in the hallway is ridiculous. They echo like crazy so someone walking in flip flops can be heard extremely clearly as if they are in your room. I also had two or three instances were my door was opened and the person opening it scurried away. I was really off put by this at first but then realized 1) housekeeping starts at 9 or so in the morning followed by a separate person for minibar refilling followed by another person for turn down service, followed by another person who puts the days schedules in the room/underneath the door 2) there is a small black knob on the door that turns red when you push it in putting the chain on the door. That being said there are a lot of folks in and out your room. We used the safe and put our belongings away and never worried about theft. I should also mention we only got housekeeping 3 or 4 of the 7 days we were there and made good use of the do not disturb sign. The beds are out of this world. So comfy!

BARS: People complain about drinks being weak. Well get another one. You paid for it. Drink until you blackout if you want. Best bar is Neblio (spelling?) and the Manatee Bar. At the Piano bar I only had shots so I can't really judge for mixed drinks. The other bars are great but if you want to be tipsy in one or two glasses the aforementioned are tops.

SERVICE: Fantastic all around. Whatever and whenever you needed anything that did it with a humble air. Ordered room service at 3am one day. It came in about 30-40 minutes. Went shopping and asked someone to bring the bags up, no problem. Ask anyone a question and they are willing to assist.

ACTIVITIES: Marco with Delta Vacation was great. We did the Hummer Jungle Tour and the Pirate Show Dinner. Both awesomely outrageous. You must go! Went to Congo Bongo with the hotel. Alan guided us all the way inside to a table were he ordered us drinks non stop and stayed with us for awhile. Congo Bongo is the BEST party you will EVER go to. It's a mixed between a house party and a concert. Amazing! The spa was awesome, very upscale. We also did a photoshoot which was amazing. This pictures rival my wedding pictures for a tenth of the cost. When we got home the glass plate we ordered was already at the door. Incredible!

MANAGEMENT: Everyone was very professional. Even when the front desk was getting yelled at for misplacing luggage for 15 minutes straight, the professional air was there. I don't know that guys name but gold star for his emotional control. One small hiccup. I made an appointment to be shown around by a manager and they never showed. I tried to then reach out to the Reservations Manager for a tour but never heard back. After much bouncing me around someone was forced to give me a tour, one of the timeshare guys I think. He was courteous and nice and never pitched to us at all. This obviously wasn't part of his job description but we enjoyed the impromptu tour.

TIPPING: We tipped when we felt the service deserved it. Only once did we feel pressured and that was at subpar Dragons and stalling server for room service.

GETTING AROUND: The bus station is right outside the hotel. $1 p/p to get on it. There are tons of places to shop. R-1, R-2 buses take you down the strip and into downtown. You can go to La Isla, La Plaza Flamingo, Kulkucan (spelling?), Chedaui (aka Mexican Walmart spelling?) and Walmart. R-27 takes you to Las Americas mall. If you save your bus stubs you can get your money back at the airport, how cool! They have a game room and a pool table in sport bar. The chess board was kidnapped so my husband and I were force to play giant chess by the hot tub. (Life is so hard, :P)

BEACH/POOLS: All three pools were awesome. This is where the action is. The privilege people have their own pool but I am certain it is not as lively as the common pools. The waterfall is a nice touch. Finding chairs was painless. Here is my rule regarding chair saving. If I don't see any personal effects on the chair but just a towel, the seat is free. No time for saving chair madness on my vacation. The beach was really great. The ways can get crazy which add to the fun if you can handle it. People are selling things along the beach all day. There are not pushy so a head-shake no will send them on their way.

TRUTHS: Yes, they upsell the wine like crazy. Decline and move on. Yes, you can hear music from other resorts. But it was never a bother and almost relaxing. Yes, portions are small some places and drinks are weak some places. Order more and drink more. What else have you got to do? Yes, the ATM fee is 11%. Take out about 100-300 dollars from home if you plan to go downtown (downtown Cancun, not the strip) shopping to get it converted to pesos. Exchange as you go. For haggling purposes, pesos will be beneficial. If you need help, ask someone at the hotel how Mexican pesos work.

TIPS: Skip Mercado 28 as it was the creepiest place of all and buy your souvenirs at La Plaza Flamingo and the Mexican store at La Isla next to Puma shoe store. Bring tip money. Maybe 100 in ones. Learn basic Spanish phrases. At the hotel this is not an ordeal, though the housekeeping women do not speak English. Close your doors to the balcony when it rains unless you want to house a swarm of dragonflies!

In conclusion, very nice resort with activities from 8:30am to 1am. The adults only statute was glorious. You can party or relax. It's all up to you. No AI wristbands! No reservations! No worries!

18 Thank heySJ1989
Dear heySJ1989,

It is a pleasure to read through such a detailed overview of your visit, we sincerely appreciate the time invested, our guest’s feedback is truly important for us.

We are glad to read that overall you enjoyed of a very pleasant stay and experienced of our staff's attentive service and facilities. Thank you as well for including details that aren't part of the resort but are useful for our future guests like the arrival suggestions, the excursions and how to get around.

Also we noted the opportunity areas you mentioned and we will consciously revise all of your remarks.

We look forward to have another opportunity of hosting you in a near future.

Wheeling, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Plain and simple this hotel is awesome. Kudos to our butler Luis and Ivan in the Bluewater Grill. Absolutely no complaints about service or anything in this hotel. Pool was warm and immaculate and service was excellent. The beach is long, wide and beautiful.

Room Tip: If you want to keep your room cool, request to face Sandos. Breathtaking view from 2426.
Dear MAZ26003,

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and special amenities delivered to Preferred Club guests and experienced the attentiveness of our staff.

We will share your remarks with our team as motivation.

We look forward to welcome you back home.

Tel:(52) 998 8489400
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,566 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!