“Impressive staff & service”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #4 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Miami Beach, Florida
“Impressive staff & service”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Perfect option if you want to get away for a few nights, sit by the pool/beach, and not leave the resort. Staff and service are amazing. Drinks are good. Food is average to above average. All in all, pretty impressive for an all-inclusive.

4 Thank kiwi-33333

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at The Vine from 4/14-19 with my fiancée and 20 of our family and friends. We chose The Vine after touring it with the wedding coordinator in May 2013 with my parents. It was easy to decide that we had to have our wedding there. Additionally, we also hosted a private party for my husband's 40th birthday.

I am focusing this review on our stay, not the wedding. If I were to rate the wedding coordination and actual event, I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars. If you're thinking about hosting a wedding there and have any questions, please feel free to email me at saratraun@yahoo.com. I'd be happy to share my experience and provide pointers.

ROOMS
We stayed in a honeymoon suite. The rooms are beautiful and clean. We were disappointed that we didn't get a room on the oceanside of the building. Both ends have beautiful views, but the oceanside is prettier.

SERVICE
POOLSIDE: We had Alberto and Oliver helping us all week, and they were awesome...but we did tip them $1/drink, and our group was usually at least 10 people...so hopefully we were a fun and easy group for them to take care of.
RESTAURANT: Sooooo slow. I understand that most places were looking to offer us "an experience," but usually we were too hungry to wait for that! The waits usually weren't too bad, but if you're going for dinner at 7, definitely don't expect to eat until 8.
HOUSECLEANING: They did a good job except for the day of the wedding when no one cleaned or turned down our room. It was really disappointing!
CONCIERGE: Helped arrange golf for my husband and the ride to Secrets Maroma for the Honeymoon portion of our trip. I had made arrangements with Musme via email prior to arrival to reserve a cabana for my dad who has had many bouts with skin cancer, but when we got there, there was no reservation and no one knew what I was talking about. It was very frustrating and disappointing. On the brightside, we had two other birthday celebrations in our group during our stay, and concierge made sure that each room was decorated which was really fun!

DRINKS
The drinks were good. The house red wines were pretty gross, but the white was decent. I was glad that there were options for cocktails instead because we didn't drop any extra cash for specialty wine. WARNING: there is NO Captain Morgan and the substitute just wasn't the same. Seems silly, but this was a big deal for my group.

FOOD - We ate at all of the restaurants except the sports bar which never seemed to be open anyway. In general, the food is good, but I didn't think that it was phenomenal. All of the servings are small, which seemed to take everyone off guard each meal. If you're really hungry, order two!
MARKET CAFÉ: Great breakfast buffet (I didn't try for lunch but heard that it was good) that actually changed the foods up daily which was nice.
DRAGONS: The sushi was so-so. I liked my chicken dish, fried rice, and appetizers, but others had issues with the pad thai.
NEBBIOLO: Delicious serve yourself anti-pasta bar, which was perfect while waiting for dinner.
OLIO: I don't love mediterranean, but this was surprisingly good. I had the shrimp which was cooked to perfection.
SEA SALT: Everyone loved the fish tacos! I also had a burger which was pretty good.
BLUEWATER GRILL: We hosted the birthday party here with a wine pairing service. If I could redo it, I would have skipped the wine pairing. My steak had good flavor, but it was overcooked.
MARKET CAFÉ: I enjoyed the fun little sandwiches and treats for when you needed a quick bite between meals. They also served different coffee drinks. I don't drink coffee, but everyone whom I was with said that it sucked throughout the resort.
BAREFOOT GRILL: The pool buffet was good and convenient. There were a few days where we just served ourselves lunch there so we could eat at our chairs in the pool. There was one day that they served paella which was really good!
ROOM SERVICE: All the food we ordered was good enough for 2 in the morning late night munchies, but it took 45 minutes to arrive.
OTHER: I will say that my wedding chicken entrée was very good, and I heard that the surf and turf was also delicious. However, the vegetarian dish was literally a bowl of ziti with red sauce on it. I felt bad for the few people who ordered it!
We ordered a special marble with buttercream frosting birthday cake for my husband's birthday. It was disgusting and no one ate it. Don't order one of those! The red velvet cake for the wedding was better, but they used fondant when we had asked for cream cheese frosting. Most people don't like fondant, so they just dug the cake part out.

MISCELLANEOUS
Check In: Walking in to a cool, fresh towel and glass of chilled champagne is always awesome in my opinion. For the majority of the group, rooms weren't ready upon arrival, which was understandable for anyone arriving before 3. However, there were a lot of people who had to wait until after 430 for their rooms to be ready.
Preferred Club Privileges: The benefits of this are minimal, and I don't think that they're worth it personally. The 12th floor pool is beautiful, but we found that we were just as comfortable at any of the other pools or on the beach. It was a little awkward that half of the group had these privileges because it made some question whether they should have it.
Ultimate Vacation Club: You will be pitched immediately after checking in to sign up for this club presentation. If you're really interested in joining a vacation club, then it will be worth your while. If not, smile politely and state "no" firmly. The presentation will take up more time than you will want to allot in exchange for spa credits or a romantic dinner on the beach.
Gym: I worked out a few times while I was there, just lifting free weights. The gym is a little small, but I made sure that I was out of there before 9, which helped make sure that I had the space I needed. It was really hot in there
Golf: The greens fees they advertise are only free if you set up a tee time after 1. We scheduled a round for my husband the morning of the wedding which ended up costing $105 for greens fees and transportation + rental + drinks/food on the course per person.
Wifi: I was impressed how well the wifi worked, but it was a pain that you had to keep connecting throughout the resort.
Entertainment: We didn't have a chance to participate in a lot, but everything looked like fun and well organized. We had an encounter with The Mentalist one night who did his show for our small group which was entertaining. The nightclub played fun music that we enjoyed. The boys did play a lot of pool volleyball. The activities coordinators do a good job of recruiting people to participate. My mom and I participated in outdoor yoga which was hot and sunny but very nice.
Pool Chairs: This is the third all-inclusive we've stayed at in Cancun, and all of them seem to have the chair game where you have to get out early to reserve a space for yourself. The game started later at The Vine than other places that I've been, and if I weren't with such a big group, I don't know that it would have been as necessary for a pair or group of four.
Energy: The crowd seems to be early 30s. Everyone we met was really nice. I think that they must have been booked 100% because it was really busy, especially toward the end of the week (leading into Easter weekend). However, it wasn't an uncomfortable kind of busy.

WOULD I GO BACK?
I love the look and feel of The Vine. I wouldn't say that it was "perfect," but it was the nicest place that we've stayed in Cancun (The Royal and Live Aqua), and some of my friends and I are already talking about going back in 340 or so days!

Room Tip: Like previously mentioned, the rooms on the oceanside of the building is much prettier!
6 Thank Sara T
ottawa
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I'm going to start this review by providing a bit of context as to what type of traveler I am. I worked at a travel agent for 3 years, as a destination rep for a travel company, worked in entertainment teams in a few resorts, lived abroad for a few years and travelled to more than 20 countries. I've seen countless all inclusive hotels. Secrets The Vine if, by far, the best I have seen on all fronts.

I traveled there with my partner. We are both 29 years old. We went for the food, the service, the beach and the ocean view and were not disappointed. We were afraid the hotel would be a little too quiet or boring for our taste, which wasn't the case. There were always activities going on, without being to overbearing and still relaxing.

We had a regular room on the 18th floor. We asked for a higher floor and were granted our request. Our view was amazing, facing the hard rock hotel and being able to see both the lagoon and the ocean was very nice. Yes you can hear the music from the entertainment sometimes at night, but it was never past 11 and it was actually fun to have the patio doors wide opened while getting ready for dinner.

The food was amazing. Everywhere. Our waiter Gabriel in the Dragon restaurant was great to us. He even provided us with information related to a city we wanted to visit ( we rented a car). We followed his suggestion and had a very memorable day. The two bartenders at the lobby bar were the best, always kidding around and making guests laugh. We stopped there for a drink before dinner every night and service was great.

We were there during Holy week ( the week before easter) and the hotel was at capacity. MExicans travel a lot that time of year! Service was still great. There were longer waits for certain restaurants but we didn't mind taking a buzzer and heading downstairs for a drink meanwhile.

The beach is very nice for Cancun. a long stretch of sand and wider than in other areas. Always beach chairs available and umbrellas. Those guys really work hard all day in the beaming sun.

Tips were always appreciated but not expected.

Night entertainment was fun but ended around 11. If you want to go out, the entertainment team takes guests to various clubs at night. We went one night and had a great time at The City.

We saw two weddings while we were there and it seemed to be a great hotel for weddings!

We did a romantic dinner ( purchased a bottle of wine) and it was amazing. You get to choose whatever you want to eat, form any restaurant, and they will make it. You can order as many courses as you wish and the service is great as always.

Each meal we had there would have cost around 200+$ in Canada so we definitely felt like we got value for what we paid.

I would highly recommend this hotel and we're already thinking of going back :) it was my boyfriend's second all inclusive experience ( he didn't like the first one ) and now I think he's spoiled for the future as I doubt we will be able to find something to top Secrets The Vine!

7 Thank cancungen
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is remarkable. My wife and I have had the privilege of traveling the world and we have stayed in some extraordinary hotels including The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, Zermaterhof in Zermot, Switzerland, the best hotels in Paris, Hong Kong and elsewhere. Secrets the Vine is simply exceptional. The striking thing is the level of service at every turn. We ate at Olio, where Mery, the chief from Lebanon took extra time and effort to introduce several of the signature dishes to us in a sampling menu. Carlos and Luisa who were serving us also made the evening very special. It was truly remarkable and we felt as though we were treated as royalty. A memorable meal that delighted us.

It would be one thing if this level of service were isolated to a few exceptional employees, but on the contrary, it is the norm among all the staff. We cannot recommend this hotel more enthusiastically. Treat yourself to this amazing experience.

Room Tip: If you have the opportunity to get one of the governor's suites, you should grab it. All rooms...
2 Thank Fred H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The rooms are great....if you upgrade to the rooms with full ocean wrap around decks you will love it. The Cancun ocean front is some of the most beautiful I have seen. Cancun itself is a big a tourist trap. Almost like a bad small Vegas. The hotel grounds, lobbies, pools and beach front are beautiful! The service at the hotel was very good. Now the mixed drinks and good is average at best, but that's what you get in a all inclusive. I would stay at a Secrets again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Selfishant
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staying at Secrets the Vine in Cancun Mexico was an amazing experience!!! The staff were amazing!!v We stayed on the preferred club floor and everything was wonderful!! Our butlers Alejandro and Louis made us so welcomed we couldn't have asked for anything more!!! They both were always there to help us with suggestions on where to eat where to shop anything we wanted to do!! These gentlemen helped to make our much needed vacation a joy!!! We give this experience a 6 star thanks to them and the rest of the staff!! Will definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!!!

Room Tip: We recommend choosing the opposite side to the Hard Rock Hotel because of the better view of the oce...
2 Thank jmersch
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear jmersch,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at our resort.

We are glad to read that you had an amazing stay, your comments will serve as an inspiration to our team to continue working with passion, ensuring our valued guests have an enjoyable and memorable experience with us.

We look forward to have you back at Secrets The Vine, your home in the Mexican Caribbean.

Warm regards,

Zuleica Ávila
Social Media Coordinator
info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com
Tel:(52) 998 8489400
Fergus
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From the very minute you step onto this beautiful resort you are treated like royalty. The staff are so engaging and truly are there to provide an amazing experience. Our room was so spacious with an ocean front balcony. Dreamy bed. The property is so well laid out with tiered pools and decks. The food at all restaurants is Five star. Massages best ever!! The only small criticism is the robes in the rooms are no soft and too small and the mini bar should contain healthy snacks. But this place is set up for fun. We had a blast here! We were so spoiled here I can't wait to try another secrets resort,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank TracyFergus
Dear TracyFergus,

We would like to thank you for selecting our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination.

It's a pleasure for us to read that you have enjoyed of an excellent stay, we also thank you for your kind words and observations, our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks.

We look forward to have the opportunity of welcoming you back home.

Sincerely yours,