“Love This Place”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here in June for 9 nights as part of our Honeymoon. From the moment we entered until the time we left we were treated like Royalty.
The best thing about this hotel is the top quality food, beautiful restaurants and the hotel staff.
There are plenty of restaurants to choose from, my own personal favourites are the Bluewater Grill and the Asian. We were never waiting more than 5 minutes for a table
The food at this hotel is delicious, id go back even just for that!!
The staff at this hotel could not do enough for you, we got to know a lot of them throughout our stay
The entertainment is very good too, there is always something happening and also something different going on every night
The only negative I have is the noise from the corridors. We found it very hard to sleep some evenings but mostly in the morning from the early hours on-wards

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keegan_80
Write a ReviewReviews (9,456)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I returned yesterday from 10 days at this resort. We had the most amazing time and I have already been on the phone to book up with a travel agent to go again in the next 6 months.

The room: spotless, great facilities, great service/cleaned twice a day. For a view you want to be on the 14th floor and above. Cannot complain about anything.

The food: Incredible, 7 fantastic restaurants, the best steak I have ever eaten, the Dragons and the Grill were the best by far. the quality in all was great, service spot on, portions perfect.

The beach: I've been privileged enough to have traveled the world and been to many beaches. This was the clearest, warmest, clearest ocean I have ever swam in.

The pool area was awesome, a great all day party vibe that suits all ages, shows were top quality, the entertainments team were good fun and didn't hassle you like you get in some resorts. Its all very clean with a nice breeze and the bars are fantastic with Absolute Vodka, Tanqueray Gin, Bacardi and Corona with great cocktails flowing all day long.

Night life was great, you have to go to Coco Bongos, as a 25 year old I walked in and they were playing Beatles, all the latest music, the show was awesome, booked through the hotel. We also did a bar crawl and Senior Frogs was brilliant.

The people here were great, mix of ages, some great characters, ticks every box. The best holiday I have been on to date. Get over there, true 5 star quality with a good buzz and party vibe.

Room Tip: As high up as possible
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank westcott289
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The outside of resort is not much to look at and the resorts beside it are older. The resort itself is small and the food is just okay. The entertainment is what you would expect from a small resort That's the only negatives. The drinks are good and they don't skimp on the liquor. The rooms are very nice and the maid service does a wonderful job. It's very clean resort. The check in and check out we're very quick and easily done.

Room Tip: When arriving at airport do not stop inside airport there are time share and tour reps there who do...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie H
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this adult-only resort for a week last month and had a fantastic experience overall. We booked Preferred Club rooms which gave us wonderful views of the lagoon on one side and the ocean on the other side. Despite it raining for half our trip and red flag warnings in the ocean all 7 days, we were still able to enjoy the pools and the beach. For a quick scan, I've listed a few pros and cons below.

Pros:
- Attentive service: Everyone goes out of their way to make sure you're enjoying your stay. I highly suggest you make friends with the bartenders.
- Preferred Club: Not only are the rooms beautiful, but each floor has a concierge and a butler who you can call to assist you with anything you need.
- Dining options: Although they don't take reservations at any of the restaurants, we never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a table to open up.
- Tours: Amstar tour representatives are located in the hotel so it's really easy to book excursions to Chichen Itza and other fantastic sites. I highly recommend going to Xplor where you can zipline, swim through an underground river, drive an amphibious vehicle through caves and more.

Cons:
- Unreliable WiFi: The WiFi is spotty. But hey, you're on vacation, it's nice to unplug.
- Entertainment: Unlike other all-inclusives we've stayed at, the entertainment here isn't exactly on par.
- Constant up-sell: I get that this comes with the territory for all-inclusives, but be careful at the restaurants. I witnessed plenty of people ordering bottles of wine when offered without realizing they are not included.

Despite these cons, this place still gets five stars in my book. It was a fabulous vacation and I highly encourage anyone on the fence to give it a try. When you look at the surrounding resorts from your balconies, you'll be glad you chose this one.

Room Tip: Go with the Preferred Club, if you can. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank lanie1000
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our family of four just returned from a 5-night stay at Secrets: The Vine. Having stayed at the Secrets: St. James in Jamaica, we expected to like it a lot, but ended up loving this one even more. All of the staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and more.

THE ROOMS - we had two rooms for the four of us. Since we were not staying as couples, it was important for us to have two beds in each room. This is one of the reasons we chose The Vine over other highly rated resorts. On their website and through all of the travel sites we explored (Expedia, Cheap Caribbean, etc.), it listed only one section which had two beds, and it was not in the preferred club side. We went ahead and booked the "regular" suites, but really wanted the preferred privileges after having enjoyed them at the Secrets in Jamaica last year. As the vacation neared, I emailed the concierge to ensure that we would have two beds in each room, and on a whim said that we would also be willing to upgrade to the preferred club if those rooms also had more than one bed. To my surprise, she said they did have two of those rooms available in the preferred section with an ocean view. Also, the upgrade price was $35 per room per night, which translated to $350 total for both rooms for the five nights we stayed. The booking sites tried to charge $1000 for each room to upgrade to preferred club! Lesson learned - check with the hotel to see if they actually do have the room setup that you need, and if you want to upgrade, do it with the hotel instead of a travel site. Lots of $$$ saved.

The rooms themselves were very nice and exactly as promised. We had a nice side view of the ocean, as well as the pools of the neighboring hotel. Secrets has the tallest property on the strip, so they view from the higher preferred club rooms (21st floor) is spectacular.

THE OCEAN: we have never stayed anywhere with crystal blue water as this. I could easily see my feet even in five feet of water. That said, the under toe is quite fierce and the sand uneven. It takes some physical stability and strength just to get a little ways out in the water, and getting back isn't fun. Just something to keep in mind. There isn't much in the way of walkable beach - what I mean is, there isn't really an area of hard packed sand that is easy to walk on - it is all sinky and laborious. I think this is because instead of the tide having no barrier as we've seen on Texas beaches, there was a shelf of sand blocking the tide, so the sand above the shelf wasn't becoming wet and compact. There were some brave people trying to run (I wanted to), but it looked very hard.

FOOD / DRINKS: We're not really heavy drinkers or liquor connoisseurs, but these drinks definitely packed more of a punch than they did in Jamaica. They did not seem watered down. Maybe tipping had something to do with it, I dunno. But they were very tasty. Our favorite was the dirty banana (frozen banana and rum cream drink). The restaurants ranged from ok to excellent. Our least favorite was Dragons. Lots of people seem to rave about it, but we thought the sushi was just ok and the meal was not great. That said, it still wasn't bad and we liked the other restaurants. Blue Water Grill was outstanding. Sea Salt was very good. The Italian and Mexican places were good, but not great. We went to Olio for lunch (one of the preferred club perks) but couldn't make it for dinner, and it was good. If I go back, which we plan to, I would like to try out their dinner. Half time had surprisingly good American food for lunch; I really liked the buffalo and bbw wings. The breakfast buffet was also very good, with great made to order eggs omelettes. And the coffee bar is outstanding! Wendy, the beach attendant, was our favorite and had us in drinks and umbrellas throughout our stay.

THE GYM: this was much nicer than I expected. There were 5-6 treadmills, at least 4 elliptical machines, several stationary bikes, and weights machines galore along with free weights. Pretty much anything you could want. Plus, it overlooks the ocean. Very easy to get motivated to work out when perfect blue water is your view.

There were a couple of minor negatives, but not enough to knock a star off of the review. Turn down service is supposed to be finished by 9:00, but two on two evenings, the night attendant tried to enter our rooms after 10:00 when we were already in bed. Also, there should be an easier way to get out of the preferred club pool, as there is with the two pools below. If you travel with a family member who has mobility issues, this could be a concern, as it was for us. The preferred pool was not as nice IMO as the other pools, but the service was probably better. Also, my mom and sister would have liked a "vendor" night as we have experienced at other resorts.

Finally, tipping may not be necessary, but come on. Please tip. If you are spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, you can afford $50 over the course of a few days to tip those that work extra hard for your enjoyment. I was amazed out how demanding people could be without even throwing a dollar out. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

All in all, we really, really enjoyed our stay. This is a great place to go for people that have problems walking long distances, as everything is accessible by elevator and on a different floor. Some might see this as a negative as everything is not as sprawled out and it can seemed cramped, but for us, it worked well. When can I go back?

Room Tip: Preferred club rooms are higher and offer a better view. There are preferred rooms with two beds av...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BVL1979
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We are still on honeymoon at the hotel. Our first impressions of the hotel were "wow", staff are very welcoming and the place is very modern and spotless, room is nice but now know the difference between sea view and sea front, haha. Plenty of places to eat but you can't book and the service in some places is slow enough so don't go in too hungry. On our first night we saw people having dinner in cabanas on the beach and we asked about it, we were told it was a special meal and that it was extra, $150 and you get a bottle of moet and lobster. I was really looking forward to booking this for this Friday( 12 th July) but when we went to book it we found out it's actually $280 for the cabanas on the beach and $150 for a table at the poolside overlooking the beach. It's the same meal so I was very disappointed that to move 100 ft to the beach it cost nearly double, now I know it was going to cost extra but I think we paid a lot to be all inclusive and I just think because we want the meal on the beach and not the poolside, it shouldn't be that much more, very disappointing as I was really looking forward to doing
this on our last night.

• Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Nicolaandshane
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Secrets The Vine Cancun in March and liked it so much and had such exceptional service from my Butler Luis that I decided to go back in June. Get Luis to be your Butler. Luis speaks perfect English and goes above and beyond his job duty to make sure customer service is 5-Star and does the little things that motivate a person to come back. Upon arrival at the Secrets The Vine Cancun my first visit Luis made sure that I had a 5-Star visit. Luis coordinated a group from the hotel to go to Coco Bongos and negotiated a rate much less than what it would cost going alone. He saved everyone money and is completely aware of everyone in the group and makes sure everyone is enjoying their vacation. I liked my visit so much back in March, thanks to Luis that I went back again in June, and it was no dissappoinment! Luis made sure I had bottle service and was always reachable 24/7. There was not one time that Luis did not pick up my call. I highly recommend this resprt if you can afford the upgrade and spend money on the Spa Services. While at the Secrets in March I enjoyed my trip so much that I extended 1 week to 10 days. I got 5 massages the first time at the Spa and the second time in June I got a massage and a foot treatment with the live fish (Very cool!). I cannot say that all the staff at the Secrets were great, I had some bad experiences. However, Luis made sure that any bad experience I had was corrected. Luis the Butler at Secrets The Vine is great and I recommend that anyone who thinks of going should request him specifically. Luis has got very good people, customer service and management skills. I am suprised that he has not been promoted. He could run that hotel better than anyone I saw there. He studies his customers and accomodates to their needs. Overall amazing experience!

• Stayed: June 2014