“Not the Ritz”

Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa
Ranked #155 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 22 January 2008

This hotel needs to improve its appearance and security. Bedding is SOOOOOO shabby. Single sheet on a bare mattress.
Dingy bedspreads. YUK. Thread bare and raveling towels---no hand towels or washcloths provided. The door is so flimsy that it would yield to the least pressure. Halls are dark and ominous. They are equipped with motion sensor lights so you have to be right under them to get any light. You have no idea what is lurking at the end of the hall. Bathroom has the tiniest toilet and a stand up shower. The room smelled musty and malodorus. I was very thankful that I had packed some pillowcases and a strong sachet to place in the room. Wished I had a full set of linens! I simply did not feel comfortable or secure. There was noise & conversation all night in the hallways. Front desk person was surly & totally unhelpful. That said, the restaurant on site was OK. We had a good evening meal and breakfast the following morning. We only had to do one night here. Could not have stood another one.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank sunnycc5

Reviewed 30 December 2007

This is a nice hotel in Centro Cancun. The location is good, rooms clean, front desk excellent, food good, price reasonable. I asked for a quiet room and Tuesday night was ok with a nice breeze blowing in.
However, on a Wednesday night a house near the rear garden area of the hotel had a birthday party. The music was very loud and continued into day break the next day. Hotel security was powerless to get the noise under control. No sleep that night as it was such high noise that even with the windows closed and a/c on high with ear plugs, the music was ridiculously loud. Yaxchilan is a party street with many Discos. The younger party crowd will undoubtably love this location/hotel....for us older folks it's way too loud.
The proffesional massage in the rear of this hotel is one of the best I have been to. I have been to many in the past 60 years!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2007

Friends who live in Cancun recommended it. We rented a suite for only one night as we were meeting them for dinner prior to commencing our adventure. It was nothing more than a good size hotel room with a king bed (with a hard mattress, which is typical for Mexico). Standard rooms have two doubles. Shower was luke-warm at best. The location is good if you like downtown - right in the center where the locals live and play. Many good restaurants in walking distance. "American" breakfast was included - adequate though not too filling for hearty eaters. Nice quiet pool area. Nothing special as far as hotels go - just a safe, clean, quiet place.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RedHare
Reviewed 6 October 2007

Booked through HRS, then the people at the hotel were unable to find our reservation. The staff asked me to get a printout of our reservation from the internet, which I did. Meanwhile the staff found my reservation. They were not willing to refund the one dollar I spent for internet services. I did this only because they asked me. I don't care about the dollar, but it was very unfriendly (btw: my Spanish is good, is wasn't a language problem). The hotel then was quite kitschy and noisy. Also, the location is bad. "Cancun downtown " can't be really called like that. For a city of over 600,000 it is a joke. Wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank Dirkkrid
Reviewed 21 August 2007

We Stayed for a week in Cancun last July. We found Xbalamque Hotel in the Internet while hunting for deals. (We were traveling on a budget).

The pictures of the hotel looked fine and the price was right so we chose to stay there. My husband and I were traveling with our two boys and wanted to visit the archaeological zones of Chichen Itza and Tulum and take the kids to Xcaret and to the beach.

The hotel itself was lovely, with Mayan paintings on its corridor, clean rooms and a nice pool. What we liked about this hotel is the fact that it´s just 4 blocks away from the bus station where you can go to practicly everywhere. You can find buses departing every half hour to Chichen Itza, Playa del carmen, Tulum, Merida, etc.

The street where the Hotel is could get noisy at nights because it´s the street where all the nightlife is in downtown Cancun. I complained and we got a quiet room in the other side of the hotel.

I recommend you to go to Xcaret which is a theme park with awesome underground rivers, aquarium, great beach and good food. The mayan ruins were awesome and breathtaking. The beaches of Cancun, Tulum and Playa del Carmen are the most beautiful I´ve ever seen. Also try walking at 5a avenida in Playa del Carmen in the evening. it´s beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Carolboise
Reviewed 21 August 2007

I recently stayed at Xbalamque, in face I got back 3 days ago. Upon our arrival we were very tired having travelled 25 hours to be there, we were offered no help with our baggage (which wasn't useful as the lift wasn't working and we were on 2nd floor). There was no check of ID or passport which didn't make us feel too safe. Just outside our room there were empty bottles which stayed there for 3 days. We felt somewhat disheartened as there was also a broken drawer in our room. But things improved, the staff were extremely polite and friendly and went out of their way to help us in any way they could. A hiccup which didn't leave us feeling happy was literally just after I rinsed the shampoo out my hair in the shower the water suddenly stopped. The taps stopped and also flushing the toilet. My friend was unable to shower and we received no apology about this when we enquired and the staff seemed to be aware of the water stoppage. Overall it was a good hotel but don't expect great things, the thing that made it good was the staff not the actual place. Still had a groovy holiday though, talk about tequilla!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Hi everybody!
i just stay in Xbalamque hotel the last week. it's an amazing hotel, the concept is about the mayan culture. If you are interested in this culture, this place is great! there are pictures, sculptures and all employes are dessed like mayas, the people are cool.
the hotel is ubicated in the principal avenue of downtow, near to the good places in the city, culturals or fun. The nightlife in cancún is awesome, the discotheques and the beach like no where.
i recommend this place, is great!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends