“Perfect!”

Ranked #155 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Bogota, Colombia
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Everything about this hotel was reallt good, it was clean, Big bathroom, hot Walter it worked anytime You wanted, the breakfast was kind of buffet so yo can Eat a lot unlike other hotels that You get coffe and a toast. I was afraid of going to this hotels because there's a lot of bad comments in tripadvisor But i took the risk and it was worth it.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Acidmunkeyy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2014

3 good things - location, decoration and pool

bad things - customer service - the receptionist made me angry with his patronizing tone every time something did not work - saying smile you are in the Caribbean - as internet that never works for example. bfast is POOR - 4 star hotel serving only heated sliced bread or pancake, fruit and coffee? appalling, makes the price you pay very expensive..as well they have a very bad system where you need to get a card with your room number before every bfast and they say in front of other customers if you are entitled to only what they wrongly consider continental bfast or some add up, a horrible omelette. BE CAREFUL with the travel agency located inside the hotel, smart travel - the guy sold me a cruise trip to Isla Mujeres that in the end did not work on Sundays so i was alone in the beach and had to close another deal having to claim my money back after. The hotel has a bad reputation and all tour agents from beaches around told me it would be better to pay a bit more to stay in a more reliable hotel in the Cancun area

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank triptripexpert
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I booked and prepaid for our room through RCI. When we arrived, they had no record of our reservation. Finally, they took my printed copy of the RCI receipt, and after 20 minutes, they finally said they had a room for us. Important to note, there was a sign taped down on front desk "No running water from 3-6 pm".
We are shown to our room, which had an odd odor. The bellhop plugged in the AC unit (controls did not work) to cool the room down, I opened a window to key fresh air in. No screens on the windows. I tried to wash my face. No water. I started looking around... night stand ? Filthy. Phone? Filthy. Counter? Filthy. Mirror? Did they mop it off with a dirty towel? At least the sheets looked clean and not slept in.
My husband and I went for walk to check out the neighborhood. We had dinner and returned to the room after dark. I took one of the two towels from off the bed and went to take a shower, and realized the bathroom floor was ... Filthy. Let me describe this... It was actually textured with a stucco like material, but it could not have been scrubbed in forever. The floor of the shower had black streaks of filth imbedded in the shower floor area. I couldn't even bring myself to break out the hotel provided bar of soap, opting instead to rinse off. By the time I walked to the bed, my feet were dirty. We closed the windows before bed due to the street & bar noise. During the night the odor returned to the room. In the morning, my husband came out of the shower, and tossed his towel on the floor. I looked at the towel and asked where he was bleeding. His response? I'm not. My response? There is blood on that towel, where are you bleeding??? He wasn't bleeding. The towel had fresh blood stains on it.
Needless to say, we headed out to find a different hotel. Finding a hotel for a full week the week before Christmas is an impossibility.
Keep in mind, I prepaid for 7 nights at this hotel. I were told they would refund my money... I hope they do.
However, I strongly recommend you don't stay at this so called hotel/resort. I do have pictures of the filthy conditions.

Room Tip: Just don't go here!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Virginia B

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My stay was really nice here. The staff went out of its way to make me feel comfortable at all times. They were very respectful of my privacy and rest. The Mayan theme depicted so beautifully throughout the hotel shows pride in the history of this area. Their pool and gardens area is so natural. They have a theater for live plays and performances. Their services include travel, for sightseeing in the area and other, car rental, spa, hair salon, boutique, restaurant, room service and taxies are available at the front entrance. There is also a dance school (salsa). One can walk to the Palapas park within one block and enjoy reasonable local cooking, kiosks for arts and crafts, live entertainment 7 days a week. This is a great value for families.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rocio A
Ivan R, E-commerce| at Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
We welcome your comments about all the services that has Xbalamqué Resort & Spa Hotel. We hope your visit again to enjoy our hospitality further.
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed 6 November 2013

After checking in, I found that there was NO toilet seat on the toilet. It was quickly fixed...but????
There in none or imitted WiFi access....real bummer!!
You need to ask for hot water so they can turn on the heater. Then it takes 1/2 hr before it's hot enough to take a shower. I like to take random showers!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DeRealMacaw
Ivan R, E-commerce at Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I´m so sorry for this inconvenient. All of this will send to General Director. In order to improve all areas.
Ave Maria, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We wanted to rate this experience as a 'ZERO'; however, the Trip Advisor System doesn't allow for zero stars! Here is what happened:

1) When we checked in at the Hotel Xbalamque in Downtown Cancun on 13 May 2013, we processed a Credit Card Charge of 1,000 Pesos to cover expected meal charges. The credit slip for this transaction had the words 'CHECK IN' on the top of the slip.

2) During our stay at the Hotel, we spent only 130 Pesos on meals.

3) When we checked out on 18 May 2013, at the Desk Clerk's suggestion, we paid the him 130 Pesos in cash to cover the 130 Pesos that we had spent on meals.

4) We have to believe that the Hotel has records that indicate that we only charged 130 Pesos in meals during our stay.

5) Likewise, we believe that there is no documentation showing that we charged 1,000 Pesos for meals or anything else during our stay at the Hotel Xbalamque.

6) The Desk Clerk had told us that if we paid the 130 Pesos in cash, then he would process a refund to our Credit Card for the 1,000 Pesos that was charged at 'CHECK IN'.

7) Instead of processing a refund, the Desk Clerk processed a second charge to our Credit Card for 1,000 Pesos. The credit slip for this transaction had the words 'CHECK OUT' on the top of the credit slip.

8) Apparently, a Credit Refund in Mexico has the word 'DEVOLUCION' at the top of the slip. We were unaware of this.

9) At a result of this second charge, the Hotel Xbalamque had billed our Credit Card for two (2) charges of 1,000 Pesos; so instead of zeroing out the charge, the Desk Clerk actually doubled the improper charge to a total of 2,000 Pesos. We did not realize this at that time.

10) Apparently, the next day, the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant figured that this second [18 May 2013] charge of 1,000 Pesos was improper, so he issued a refund [with the word 'DEVOLUCION' at the top of the credit slip], which effectively canceled one of the two improper charges.

11) At this point, we were being overcharged for only one of the 1,000 Pesos charges to our Credit Card

12) A reasonable person might assume that the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant would have asked the Desk Clerk what he was attempting to do when he issued the second charge for 1,000 Pesos. If the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant had asked this question and learned that the second charge of 1,000 Pesos was caused by a mistake in attempting to refund the first 1,000 pesos charge, then he would have issued a second refund for 1,000 Pesos and the problem would have been eliminated. However, a second refund was not processed.

13) When we left Cancun to return to the United States, we had no idea that the Hotel Xbalamque had overcharged us in the amount of 1,000 Pesos.

14) When we received our Credit Card Bill in June 2013, we saw that we had been either mistakenly or deliberately overcharged 1,000 Pesos by the Hotel Xbalamque.

15) On 12 June 2013, we sent an email to the Hotel Xbalamque informing them of the overcharge and asking to have the 1,000 Pesos refunded. We got absolutely NO RESPONSE !

16) We finally found the email address of a specific person at the Hotel Xbalamque, so on 14 October 2013, we provided her with all of the information about what had happened. Hopeful that she would understand our problem and see that the 1,000 Pesos was refunded.

17) The specific person that we contacted was Ms. Blanca E. Ovando, Gerente de Reservaciones, at the Hotel Xbalamque, who appeared to be willing to help refund our money.

18) We explained the entire situation to her and asked to have the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant issue one (1) more refund for the outstanding 1,000 Pesos overcharge.

19) Ms. Ovando led us to believe that the 1,000 pesos would be refunded to our Credit account and, in fact, on 16 October 2013, she provided us with a copy of a 'DEVOLUCION' for 1,000 Pesos dated that day. She asked us to wait a few days for this refund to be processed.

20) After several days of waiting, we contacted Ms. Ovando to tell her that the refund had not been processed. She told us that the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant would be hand-carrying the transaction to the bank the next day.

21) This process of us waiting a few days, then re-contacting Ms. Ovando to tell her that the refund still had not been processed, and her telling us that the Hotel Xbalamque Accountant would be hand-carrying the transaction to the bank the next day was repeated several times.

22) As of 4 November 2013, the second 1,000 Pesos refund has not been processed. Ms. Ovando has ceased corresponding with us. We have concluded that her tactic was just to string us along. You decide if you agree with us or not.

23) We consider this episode an 'educational experience'. Any education usually costs money and we paid the price. But, perhaps, this story will provide you with some useful information that can help you from getting ripped-off.

24) When you get a credit card refund in Mexico, make sure that the word 'DEVOLUCION' is on the top of the slip ! Or, better yet, use cash !

Room Tip: The workers at the Xbalamque Hotel are mostly delightful an honest. Unfortunately, there always seem...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jean Jim D
I´m so sorry for all incovenients in your stay.
We have followed your case. The return was made in the first day in our banking point of sell. But, for situations of the bank, your money is not returned to your credit card.
A few days ago we received the notification from the bank that the money has been returned to your credit card. Could you check your bank statement, in the case that the money isn´t reflected, could you send us an email to reservaciones@xbalamque.com
Kind regards!!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've never had smth similar to this massage. It's just super. I found name of this hotel in internet by chance, I even didn't expect to get such relaxed and in the same time deep, thorough massage. I even couldn't hear when she moves; such wonderful smells, oil and sounds of nature.. And good price..A paradise! If I remember correctly woman name was Lucia.
My husband was with me but didn't want to have massage on the first place but after I said he really should try. He had one and was delighted. I only regret that it was last day of our trip and I didn't have possibility to visit again. Highly recommended!! And I am very exigent ;)

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alina D
Thanks for your comment. We will send it to Spa Xbalamqué. We hope see you again in our hotel.