“Celebrating 50th”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lorain, Ohio
“Celebrating 50th”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We are return customers that will not be returning. I have stayed at this same location 5 times, 3 of which were prior to it becoming an all inclusive hotel. This is the first time that I had a bad experience, but it was enough so that I will not return.

We just returned from Paradisus Cancun where we went to celebrate a friends 50th birthday. I hesitated to give service an average. While our service in the restaurant, poolside, and room service was exceptional, the service at the front desk for check-out, check-in and room key issues was horrible. We arrived Thursday early afternoon and had to wait in the check-in line for 45 minutes to only be told that we had to come back at 3:00 because our room was not ready. We were told that we could go right to the front when we returned to just grab our room keys, but ended up having to wait another 45 minutes. Everyday after our room was serviced (EXCEPTIONALLY), we had to go back down to the front desk - WAIT again, for them to re-program our room keys. Check-out rain similarly.

The bartenders, servers in the pool area and restaurant staff were as ALWAYS incredibly helpful, always attentive and deserving of tips. The front desk area needs MAJOR renovations in terms of efficiency.

Room Tip: ?? - As returning customers we requested the highest floor possible with ocean view; however we were...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mjacinto
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest

We are so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with us , and wish you had mentioned the problems with your room key , and in the quality of service you received in our front desk, to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Is very important inform that the check-in time is 15hrs, our staff always tries their best to meet and surpass our client s' expectations when they arrive early. We Please be sure that we will follow up with the staff members involved, to ensure that this does not happen again. We will also follow up with the Front Desk management team, and make them aware of the issues you have presented. It is our goal to exceed our guests expectations, and we clearly did not meet yours. I hope you will accept our apologies.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,053)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We just returned from Paradisus Cancun where we were married! We have been to other resorts in the Cancun/Playa area and were very pleased with our experience. We generally try to stay at resorts that are outside of "resort row" and more private, but having family and friends coming for the wedding, we decided this would be the best location so people could easily explore the area. our guests ranged from "first time outside of the US" to "high end world travelers" and the feedback from all was extremely positive.
for the wedding: we worked with Lauren and Jessica to get the majority of the planning done. both are in Florida and I cant say enough about how helpful they were!! Response times were immediate, questions were answered completely and both were so friendly. We used Alquimia (in Cancun) for flowers and some of our decor. They did a great job, just be aware that the Alquimia response times are longer than I am used to (we started with Perla, she was too busy, we were then transferred to Adriana--she was great! very helpful). Jessica at Paradisus was a rockstar helping keep the communication open and moving along.
about a week before the wedding, jessica passed us along to Lorena-the on-site cordinator. this poor lady works so hard!!! she had 5 weddings going on the same weekend as ours-you would never have known it. she treated us as if we were her only wedding for the month. friendly, hands on, confident and accomodating. I am a wedding planner in Minnesota and thought it would be difficult to hand over the control-it was a breeze, I never thought twice. It rained the evening of our wedding and Lorena and her team transitioned us to an indoor reception flawlessly. we brought the bulk of our decor down with us, they took care of everything and it looked amazing!! we did the ceremony at the gazebo and from the pictures we have seen so far, it was perfect! we used the photographer that was recommended by the resort-Sweet Caribbean Photography-Dani and Jose were so great! Dani and I hit it off immediately and she was so sweet, involved and helpful. I cannot wait to see the rest of our pictures!
the resort:
really beautiful! it is definitely spread out! 5 pyramids-we have family and friends spread all over! we easily managed by planning which pool/beach areas or which bar to join up at.
the rooms were nice, clean, excellent a/c.
we were in Royal Service--well worth the upgrade!! having the food and bar area right outside your door is worth it. We do this upgrade to Royal Service/Preferred Club every trip and we have never regretted it. nicer rooms, quieter/nicer pool/beach areas, usually an additional restaurant option.
The staff was fabulous!! Lordes, Hector and Erik in the Royal Service were so fantastic. every bartender, housekeeper, etc were so polite, friendly, accomodating! anything we needed, ask nicely-they would bend over backwards to help.
room tip--the higher floors have better views, but the lower floors have bigger rooms. the buildings are pyramids, so higher rooms are smaller. royal service and ocean view are totally worth it! friends of mine did the lagoon view and they stared at a McDonald's and gas station all week.
favorite restaurant was Fuego, and the shrimp and pesto pizza from the Royal Service pool bar was so good!! We hit the buffet for lunch a few times-I was expecting nasty food--it was actually quite good. The salad bar was always fresh, several 'cooked while you wait' stations, delish desserts. we heard the omlete station was awesome, we never made it over there early enough. I never had dinner there, but my picky eater nephew was obsessed with the chicken strips and mac n cheese. so good option for kids.
The main pool (outside of pyramid 3) was fun! DJ in the afternoon, swim up bar, attentive servers, best guacamole in the afternoons!!
my family did several excursions, dolphins, parasailing, snorkeling, etc and the on-site staff set them up and it was flawless.
-the beach and pools were gorgeous and kept clean. the beach waves were pretty crazy most of the time, but not so much so that you couldnt swim.
-several family members took cabs or the bus into town with no issues.

only critisicms:
-MAKE RESERVATIONS!!! the earlier in the day or week, the better. and dont try to have too many groups (6 or more) for dinner or you will be stuck with the family style and no choices from the menu. that was a little annoying-but we also used dinner time to decompress and be alone or do dinner with just a few friends at a time.
-the resort common areas are hot! the rooms, restaurants, etc are air conditioned, but the common areas and hallways got pretty steamy.

Overall-great experience!! We had such a range of guests, 14 years old to 65 years old, single wanting to party, married, parents, fancy experienced world travelers, and 1 first time flier!! everyone is still raving about the trip and the resort. will likely stay at a Paradisus/Melia resort again in the future!

Room Tip: royal service is worth it. also, lower floors have bigger rooms, higher floors have better views.
13 Thank Trampls
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Let's get it right, I am baffled by other reviews, this place is average at utter best. Yes the staff are friendly, when they understand you ( lots of nodding and smiling, not so much compression.) We stayed in Pyramid 3 on the 6th floor, on the first night we asked to be moved. Why? the Nightclub can be heard until 2am, imagine the local station car park full of boy racers, then at 9am the drilling started for the renovation work. Unfortunately they had no other rooms available. The breakfast buffet was nice, which was good because the rest of the food was typical All Inclusive rubbish. Apart from the Royal Service, pool bar which was ok. Coffee machines did not work, neither did the bath, and if you value your clothes was them when you get home, had to skip an Eaton shirt! Oh and the sun goes down at 5.....after that, there's not a lot to do! There must be better?????

Room Tip: AVOID PYRAMID 3 or the Hotel, your choice.
2 Thank Tractorstant
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly apologize if our options and service took away from the wonderful experience you and all our guests deserve.

Everyone at the Paradisus Cancún Resort aspire to ensure that all of our guest receive an exceptional experience ; we regret that we did not achieve this goal.

We hope that one day you will afford us an opportunity to restore your confidence in the Paradisus Cancún. Please feel free to contact us.

Happy Holidays!!
All the best
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Do not hesitate about choosing Paradisus Cancun...Pack your bags and go !!
Just spent 7 days in the Royal Service section and it was all so magnificent.From the lovely "Lu-Lu" at check in, my smiley butler "Samuel" ((SAM)),the terrific servers,fantastic "Octavio" and his side kick "Rogelio" - top notch customer service from all.The rooms are great, grounds are spectacular and the inside decor is breathtaking, not the mention the wonderful pools and Bali beds.A special thank you to"David"at the pool concierge who always ensured our comfort was key.We even opted to stay at the pool daily rather than walk the few steps to the beautiful ocean..We dined at all the restaurants including the buffet and all were phenomenal...Even drank the water,no issues.If your looking for some R & R, Royal Service is a must.Do not adhere to any negative comments about Paradisus Cancun, for it is truly PARADISE.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GINA2014
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending us!

The hotel was pleased to have been the choice for your stay. Glad you enjoyed the Resort.

Our team will look forward to welcome you again

With Kind Regards
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Spent 10 days here at the beginning of November (2013), regular prices are a little more than our usual budget but we found a very good (and early: April 2013) promotion on BookIt.com – only USD 5 more per day/person for Royal Service at the time, easy pick unless travelling with children.
The complex is impressive, and with a very good beach frontage (just look at the new hotels nearby, like Secrets the Vine, for a comparison). It’s very well organized and managed; of course we were here in low season so very high occupancy rates might put some pressure.
We asked in advance for a high floor room and early check-in – we got them but a back pain attack right before the trip (my spouse had to use a cane) made a change to a larger room on the lowest floor the best upgrade ever.
The service is amazing: had great interactions with Eric (our butler), Vanessa (concierge – also great service from Natalia and Lulu), Susana and her team at the Royal Service pool restaurant (Francisco, Rogelio, Javier, Octavio and everybody else – the cook is an unsung hero on weekends), David for the pool beds/towel service and many others.
The restaurants are all excellent (Tempo is in a league of its own, I’ll write a separate review), just be aware that at Vento “outside” and at Bana it can get hot/sticky in the evening. The lighting at Bana is very dim, the waiter is bringing you a flashlight to check the menu (so it’s not only my age). I’ve also enjoyed the Pyramid 5 lounge in the afternoons/evenings. Try Blue Agave for some different margaritas: cucumber or hibiscus, or many others.
A couple of weak points: open (indoor) spaces can’t be cooled as well as the closed ones, evening entertainment is weak (and I see no space around to be converted into a real disco or theatre), and the pools can be deep (the Royal Service one IS 1.80 metres deep in the middle, look for the dark blue floor area).
Resort credits are not free money (and one shouldn’t expect them to be) but the food credit ones can be used without additional charges or minimal ones. You may use one credit per dinner (not two for two persons), and you don’t get “change” back if more than the expense (no surprise). The lobster (9’’ to 14’’) is usually less than USD 50, the steaks are more. The surcharge menus are on a small separate list, not on the restaurant menus (it might be the same list for all restaurants). The food prices include the taxes but not the service charges: if the list says MXN 550, then it’s 500 the price, plus 50 as 10% tax – and then a 15% (out of the 500) is added as service charge. If I’m not mistaken, wine list prices do not include the tax, so expect 25% more on the bill. A USD 50 credit for spa could be used only against a USD 140 (or more) treatment (and then taxes/service charges).
The water ritual is free for Royal Service guests once per day (closed when it rains) – it’s a little dated and in a rather small area, happily most people ignored it during our stay.
If you like walking, outside the amazing beaches there are a couple of good choices (up to 3 Km / 2 miles each way) along Blvd. Kukulcan (great sidewalks): north to the Kukulcan Mall and then La Isla Mall, or south to a Maya museum and then an archeological site further away.
Great resort!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

Nice to hear that the Resort were comfortable for your stay and you enjoyed the Paradisus Cancún experience.

Our team is committed to extend the world class hospitality, excellent services and wonderful meal experience to its guests. Your recognition of our efforts motivates us.

We will look forward to welcome you again

With Kind Regards
New York
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A disappointing experience, so many problems:

1) I arrived and was promised an upgrade to a room with a Jacuzzi and ended up in an old rom that made me feel like I was at a dime store hotel. After complaining to reception they moved me into a new room which matched what I had reserved but the experience of being told you are given an upgrade and then being given a downgrade is not acceptable, even if they did put me back in the room I had reserved.

2) The restaurant reservation service is rediculous. I arrived back at the hotel after being out and about and went to guest services to make a reservation as I had arrived at 4:55 and the reservation service shuts down at 5. Guest services was busy and couldn't attend to me right away. When they were able to help me at 5:01 I was told the reservation service was down and I couldn't have a reservation.

3) The restaurant service was also horrible and after one night of dining at the restaurants I couldn't bring myself to go back. I ate at Bana which I should add was 3/4 empty at the time. So amazing that they couldn't make reservations after 5. It wasn't like the restaurants were hoping. Then the food was lack luster and didnt seem fresh and on top of that the service was awful. I was traveling alone and as such dining alone. I expect restaurant service to be tailored to the customer. If you are there in a group or with a significant other I can see long waits between courses, but to wait over 30 minutes for an appetizer consisting of 3 dumplings and then another 40 minutes for a main course of four sushi rolls, when I was obviously sitting alone awkwardly in an empty restaurant was an embarrassment to the hotel. After that I could not get myself to go back.

4) I was going to use the spa services but ended up not doing so after the restaurant service and seeing the exorbitant prices.

5) The pool bar did not have many non-alcoholic options. I do not drink alcohol and while yes all-inclusives are often taken as an excuse to get drunk and party I was paying for a more expensive all inclusive to avoid that atmosphere. I was sadly surprised to see that pool bar staff had a very limited repertoire which was pretty non existent for non-alcoholic options. Generally places have a few non-alcoholic mocktails and here it was bad daquiris or piña coladas.

On the good side, Ignacio on the reservation line was spectacular. If only the rest of the experience was like dealing with reservations.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

7 Thank Robert M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry if we in any way fell short of fulfilling the experience you anticipated. . If you could share any details on what we could do in the future to ensure that we exceed your expectations, we would certainly be grateful.

As much as we would love to be the perfect hotel for everyone, we also recognize that every traveler has different requirements and depending on what you are looking for, our hotel may not be the right fit for your needs. However, if there is something we can address, we would be pleased to. We embrace this opportunity to connect with the TripAdvisor community in this way, as we regularly make genuine improvements to our service that are inspired by our guests insights.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next trip to the area.

Happy Holidays!
Gracias.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I love the beach, so I go to Mexico at least twice every summer. I prefer Cancun to everywhere else in Mexico, and I always choose all-inclusive resorts in the Hotel Zone. I think all-inclusive hotels are a great deal, regardless of higher airfares or the economy.
I found a good rate for the Paradisus Cancun (our group of six people stayed for 6 days / 5 nights). This was our first stay at this hotel, and we enjoyed every minute of our vacation. The level of service from management and staff was excellent.
HOTEL: The hotel appears to have been built in the 1980’s, but is still in very good condition. The staff was polite and professional. Almost every staff member I passed greeted me. The hotel was very clean, and we frequently saw employees cleaning and tending to the grounds.
ROOMS: We had three rooms: all three were in the main building (Bldg 3), two rooms faced the lagoon; the other people in our party upgraded at the front desk to an oceanfront room. Each room had double beds, a nice flat screen TV, mini bar fridge that was stocked daily, and a digital safe.
FOOD: The food was excellent in the buffet and in the premium restaurants. We were usually able to get reservations for the premium restaurants at night, but you must call from your room to get reservations for the following night’s dinner. We particularly enjoyed the “Bana” Asian restaurant and the “Mole” Mexican restaurant. Note: When you go to the buffet or the Market Grill restaurant, you will usually have an awesome view of the ocean.
POOLS & BEACH: The pool was very nice. Plenty of lounge chairs, if you get there in the morning. The pool has a nice swim-up bar. Oddly enough, there was very little entertainment in the pool area compared to the many other Cancun hotels I have stayed at. There was some music playing in the afternoons, but I was surprised at the lack of a lively “entertainment team” like the other hotels offer. The hotel did set up an outdoor poolside buffet in the afternoons, which was very convenient.
The ocean and beach area were fine, and the sand and water were very nice. This is one of the most beautiful beaches in the Cancun hotel zone.
BARS: We usually had no trouble ordering drinks. The drinks were very good (we drank Bacardi, Captain Morgan, or Absolut). The swim-up bar was fairly busy, but we never waited more than a minute to get drinks. The drinks were always good and strong. The bartenders will usually remember what you drink.
ENTERTAINMENT: The hotel had good evening entertainment, and shows were different each night. The entertainment didn't start until 9 PM. There was also a disco/club in the main building that was very lively each evening, and the young adults in our party enjoyed going there.
Overall, this is an excellent hotel, one of the best of the dozen or so I have stayed at in Cancun. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to friends.
I would also like to mention that even though many hotels here are completely "all-inclusive", I always bring $200 or more in US $1 and $5 bills for tipping the waiters and housekeeping staff. I find that I get better service and I hope makes a small difference for the people in Mexico who work hard for much less dough than we make in the US.
Note: I booked this trip through Cheap Caribbean and had great service from that company.

Room Tip: The default room choice will have a nice view of the lagoon and main boulevard. Nice sunsets. For an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Marcus85204
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and appreciate your details of the hotel. Glad that Paradisus Cancún Resort satisfied your needs!!.

We truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you, and we all look forward to your return.

Kind Regards,