“Amazing Place!”

Ranked #32 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Place!”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Me and my partner have just returned from a 2 week holiday in the RIU Cancun. After reading some of the reviews on here, it made me a little worried but i can reassure everyone there is nothing wrong with this hotel! Some of the comments are so picky.. we dont go on holiday to sit in the room all day and watch tv!
We got down to the pool about 8am every day and had no problem what so ever with getting a sunbed in a decent spot! Best spot for the sun is the bottem pool by the steak house on the side closest to the beach, otherwise the sun goes in around 3ish. Or the beach is sunny all day!
The staff are so friendly and they would do anything for you, working all hours of the day for little money, bringing drinks to you on the beach and on your sunbeds.. What more can you want!
The Buffet was nice, plenty to choose from but it did get a bit boring by the end of the second week! The restaurants in the hotel are lovely, we only ate in the Brazilian and Steak House, we dont eat sushi so gave the Japanese a miss.
Lifts were slightly hot but didnt take too long to go up and down. (we were on floor 10 - AMAZING VIEWS!)
As for the hard bed comments, they have either taken notice and replaced the matresses or we just got lucky - they were absolutely fine! very comfortable!
Our room was cleaned every single day, with fresh towels, the maids work very hard! The mini bar and fridge was restocked every other day which was perfect for the pair of us.
The entertainment in the daytime was good, we didnt join in but was fun to watch. The evening entertainment was too cheesy for us but after a few drinks was happy to have it going on in the background.
Location was perfect, right near the main strip - with a few Clubs, Bars and Resturants. I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of Mexican Resturants though!
Overall we had an amazing two weeks at this hotel and we would definatly return again! Please dont let the bad reviews put you off!

Room Tip: Higher floor the better, views are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank B89G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I am under no illusions that the adage 'You get what you pay for' is 100% true. However, when spending £5600 on a party of 4, there should surely be enough cash in the whip to expect a decent standard.

The hotel is a grand one, the ground are very well kept and the communal areas very clean and tidy. The staff are indeed pleasant when you are happy. When challenged with a problem the attitude quickly changes to nonchalant and uninterested. I was very disappointed to be confronted with shoulder-shrugs by both the front counter staff and the customer service manager after I returned from a trip to Hospital with a parasitic stomach bug, caused by the dodgy food at the Hotel. Clearly an important problem for the hotel to know about.

The food and drink are completely sub-standard. The Mexican food is absolutely tasteless, clearly reheated for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and is where I caught the parasite). Other fresh meats and vegetables are so salty that they are clearly salt-bathed to increase the size and shelf life. Needless to say, all of the food was horrible. Even at breakfast time, budget cheese was used for omelettes and the cooked breakfast counter was last nights left overs. The speciality restaurants were also very poor quality food. Also heavily salted. The steak restaurant provided steak so salty and moist it didn't even look or taste like steak, it was of course very tender however. Most drinks are disgusting. Soda machines are dotted around, but contain gasless, tasteless liquid of different colours. Didn't taste one normal pepsi or 7-up in 2 weeks from the hotel, aside from the bottled drinks in the room-fridge. Alcohol was the same, all watered down and gasless. Cocktails were O.k, but not if you like them taste nice. Either tasted of the generic goo that came from the machines, or of petrol. My tip, find a barman that serves decent drinks and stick with him. Treat him well and he will treat you well. And accept that you're not going to get a good orange juice or coffee until you get home!

So, I ended up in Hospital after 2 days of intolerable stomach cramps every 20 minutes. After being pumped full of anti-parasite and antibiotic I returned to the hotel to tell them about my $1000 trip. They were completely uninterested and prepared with the stock-line - "When it's a parasite from the hotel, we have lots of people complaining." Well done Sherlock, why don't they put you in charge of the drug-trafficking problem in Mexico. I explained very rationally, slowly and assured correct understanding, that A. I could be the first, B. There was a queue of people complaining of like-symptoms when I went to see the on-hotel G.P. and C. Your stock answer doesn't negate what has happened and I would like an apology or a gesture of good will. My friend experienced two-weeks of Diarrhoea. We both were so reluctant to eat some of the foods causing illness we both ended up on cake-only diets for last few days which was a shame(!)...

I was told the manager would contact me. He didn't. So I spoke to the Customer Service manager a few days later, and given an identical stock reply, I still didn't hear from the manager, nor receive any apology. Oh well.

On the flipside, The Japanese restaurant was of a decent standard, but the menu didn't change and you could easily have sampled everything within 2 visits.

Really, I think the people who can't find a lounger by the pool at the Riu Cancun need glasses. There were empty loungers everywhere, there are other areas where people hardly visit, namely over on the east side of the hotel, where a pool inhabited solely by hardcore Brazilian sun-worshippers spend their days. Moreover, the stretch of beach outside the hotel is one of the finest in the whole of Cancun. You can snorkel about 15 metres out, but beware of the under-tow which rips your feet away very quickly in the afternoons. The hotel was at almost-capacity but Cancun has so many day-trips for people to do that there are probably as many as 40% of residents out at some stage during the day.

The hotel housed a range of people from young groups and families up to older couples, there wasn't any friction or upset people. Expect a few rabbles coming home at 4am, but we heard or saw nothing particularly outrageous. Entertainment staff are very enthusiastic and good at their jobs, and provide a laugh.

We had an iPod and a PSP stolen from our room, had 3 different cleaners on the holiday, and untold beer-fridge-refillers. Neither were in the safe so didn't even bother reporting to Hotel, who would undoubtedly have stock-answers ready again. So ensure you put valuables in safe.

Overall, cannot fault the waiters, bar-staff and cleaners. They do a very hard job very well and don't demand tips like off-hotel staff. The management is very poor. They have obviously put the kitchen on a tight budget which has affected the quality of the food and drink. I have never eaten such horrible bland salty food anywhere in the world. I accept it isn't the most expensive resort, but would rather have less choice of food than end up in Hospital and watching my friend sprinting to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Horrible experience, which is a shame, because the rest of the holiday was so good.

I recommend very closely comparing this hotel to another of a similar price before you make your decision.

Room Tip: Better views higher up.
3 Thank Nick G
WALES,UK
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Having visited many counties around the world my wife and I had an invitation to attend our friend’s daughters wedding at the Riu Cancun. Having never travelled to Mexico before this was an opportunity to tick another box.

Along with the other 47 other guests we enjoyed 14 days of great hospitality and service from all of the staff at the hotel. There were certain individuals that went that extra mile to make our stay that much more enjoyable, but in fairness all of the staff were a credit to their hotel and their homeland. The Mexican people certainly know how to treat visitors from another country.

Rooms: Very spacious, huge bed bigger than I have ever slept in before, nice size bathroom and an excellent view from our 11th floor balcony.

Food: Due to a problem with my throat I cannot eat anything spicy, and going to Mexico I was a little apprehensive. Needn’t have worried, in the main buffet restaurant there was a huge variety to suit all taste buds. Breakfast time there was the normal egg chef doing selected omelets etc., a good choice of fresh fruits, toasties, etc., etc. For lunch and dinner there was everything from soups, salads, pastas, chicken, beef and pork and a variety of potatoes choices. I can only say if you couldn’t find something to tempt your pallet then you do have a problem. The only specialty restaurant we tried was the steak house, to which we visited twice and on both occasions the food was very good. Some of our party visited the Japanese and could not praise it enough.

Entertainment: Most of the entertainment is done by the in-house entertainments team. Although you cannot fault their efforts I’m afraid it’s very similar to most other all inclusive hotels and the expense of bringing in outside entertainment is probably not in their budget. One of the better nights was the Karaoke which was a good laugh.

Excursions: By now you’re probably fed up of hearing about Coco Bongos but believe me it’s probably the best entertainment venue that I have visited in my lifetime. We went there twice, once with the stag party where we were located down on the floor which was brilliant. The second time we went as V.I.P paid almost twice the amount and was stuck up in the gods next to air conditioning which was freezing. Take my advice, forget the V.I.P!!!

Coba Mayan Adventure: Early start to the day, but was well worth it just to go visit a traditional Mayan family then climbing the highest pyramid in the Yucatan peninsula, followed by a swim in a clear rock pool ( sacred Mayan Cenotes) out in the jungle, a good day out.

Catamaran Trip: This was the only trip we done without the help of the Thomson’s rep due to the fact it was that much cheaper. It was a great day out because the 49 of us were on the boat which was exclusive to us. Plenty of music, beer, snorkeling and a visit to the Isla Mujeres where we stopped for lunch and a dip in the sea.

Jungle Tour Speed Boats: For me this was the best of them all, speeding along without a care in the world. Skimming across the waves at high speed was absolutely brilliant, and an hour snorkeling in a protected coral reef half way through the trip made it a memorable experience.

The wedding was a brilliant event and Carrie, Sion and all the family looked great. Would I go back there you ask, most definitely is the answer. In all honesty what made the holiday that much more special was the fact there was 49 of us, and most of the time we met up and generally had some fun. If you would like some more views from our party then look at the reviews from Terry (Wigan) Ruth, Sion and Maz all from South Wales. Enjoy!!!

One word of warning, if you don’t want a nasty shock make sure your luggage is not a single kilo over, or the jobs worth check in staff at both Gatwick and Cancun will lighten your wallet to the tune of £17 per kilo.

Room Tip: High floor great views, no problem with lifts just your normal minute or two wait.
6 Thank REGGIETOURS
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 May 2012

upon arrival we had a room on the 3rd floor but smelled like urine and no AC so after we had already unpacked and complained moved up to the 12th floor. The elevators were slow & hot as hell.The ceiling fan blade fell off. The entire hotel lost power for a day. Make sure you are up and about at 6:00 a.m. so you can get a lounge chair. The pools are not big at all. The staff was great.
Pretty amazing the kitchen operates in one day they prepare meals for 1475 people. Iberostar is trully the best all inclusive we stayed in Playa del carmen and thats where we are going back to.
The worst NO COFFE MAKER IN THE ROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Margie
Boston, MA

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BeachBum60745
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 5 May 2012

i went to this hotel because my sister was getting married here i must admit at first i didnt want to go as i had'nt been abroad for years, and reading some of the reviews on here didnt exactly encourage me. But i really enjoyed myself and want to go back. from the moment we got there to the moment we left the staff could'nt do enough for us i dont think i ever saw any of them without a smile on there face. i highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank lisacotterill
new jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was our first experience at an all-inclusive and it did not disappoint. As a mature couple, we were concerned about previous comments regarding loud and inappropriate behavior. This was noted to be at a minimum. There was other "mature" couples and also families at this resort. The hotel and the beds were fine, and the view was great. We always found something at the buffet to enjoy. The breafast juices were fresh and delicious. We liked the fact that we were able to have dinner at our leisure. The beach is beautiful but noisy due to the music at the Riu and its Riu neighbor. It would be great if we could just hear the waves! We had some free limited internet access in the lobby which was more than adequate. The room was stocked with liquor and plenty of fresh bottled water. The staff was amazing and so this resort delivers for the price.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and we had a beautiful view. The elevators were at times a little slow.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank cbprof
Cefn Hengoed
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I too was a part of the 'wedding' party of 49 who recently holidayed in this hotel [grooms mum]. It was the first time I had ever been on an all-inclusive holiday and couldnt believe what was on offer. I'm loath to do another that is not a Riu hotel as I'm guessing I might be disappointed.

Without exception, the hotel was perfect in every way. If someone could not find something to eat from the HUGE choice available every meal, then they seriously need to see a doctor!! Maybe they missed some of the counters!! There is something for everyone in the main buffet restaurant and 3 other restaurants which can be booked - 2 days in advance. Be aware that if you want to book the Japanese Restaurant then you need to get up early and book at 8am, 48rs beforehand. Believe me though, it is well worth it. I preferred the Brazilian restaurant which gave a selection of hot meats with the main course. Not everyone liked this but 'each to their own' and you must try it - what have you got to lose??

The waiters are by far the friendliest and most hard-working I have ever come across, especially Wilma...

All the pools are fabulous as long as you know what your getting in each one. Yes, the swim-up pool bar is VERY noisy but theres enough selection to go elsewhere if you dont like it. Honestly, if you walk 50 yards to the next pool you wont hear the noise!! I did it more than once. The 'Noisy' people will not be stopped as they are mainly Americans and I'm guessing that they are probably the biggest tippers so treated like royalty.

You must try out the Miami Vice cocktails - they are to die for.

Outside the hotel, the nightlife is a 5-10 min walk away. Do try a local bus to the market cos they are like 'disco' buses. The music is playing really loud and we wanted to stay on them!!

Everyone goes to Coco Bongos which is fantastic but if you want to book for VIP entry, dont book with your rep as you will be paying more and you will NOT be treated like a VIP. Book at the club early on the night, say about 9.45pm.

The wedding was just perfect and recommended to everyone. Jocelyn the wedding co-ordinator was very professional and helpful.

Will definitely go back to Cancun and absolutely definitely go to a Riu hotel again.

Lastly, one small negative point was the expectation of a 'tip' by nearly everyone you come across?? Being Welsh, we are not used to tipping everyone as it is not a normal practice for us. We only 'tip' when we receive a good service. Needless to say, if you did receive a tip from us, we were very happy with the service. If you didnt - well apologies but maybe you should have smiled or NOT asked for one!!

11 Thank MadmazCefnHengoed